Thread: Any news on Beverley's epic flop from the other night?

Default Any news on Beverley's epic flop from the other night?

Has anyone seen anything passed down about Patrick Beverley's insane flop that he pulled during the Houston/Pacers game? Not only did he flop to get the call, but then he wallowed around for a while like Hill had cracked his skull. If that one wasn't deserving of a fine, I don't know what is. I was thoroughly embarrassed for the poor widdle scamp.

Anyone have a video of it?

Anyone know how long it usually takes for the league to turn around on stuff like this?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

J7F

Default Re: Any news on Beverley's epic flop from the other night?

This is the only video of it I could find.

DG for 3

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Exactly. If he is not fined for this then I don't know what the league considers to be flopping.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the only video of it I could find.

Wow. And yet I'd be surprised if we learn he gets a warning or fine. Prove me wrong, NBA.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Are we sure he didn't get hit with the left arm on the down swing?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

everybody needs to tweet it to the NBA.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    The other angle didn't look like it during the game that he did. He did come out of the game and acted dazed, so he really try to sell it all the way. I've watched Lebron recover from an imginary hit for several possession after the not hit, so its not unprecendented. He took it to a pretty big degree to come out, but maybe he needed a breather. I don't think either elbow connected.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

i saw that play and said flop as soon as i saw the first replay.
    totally looks like a flop. i see no moment where any actual contact occurs. just him reacting like he got clobbered which he definitely did NOT.
    he should be given a fine/warning for it but, we will see if anything happens.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    He didn't react at all when the elbow went by him. There was a long delay from when his arm or elbow would have hit him to when Beverly acted like it hit him.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Wow it doesn't get any worse than that
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    He didn't react at all when the elbow went by him. There was a long delay from when his arm or elbow would have hit him to when Beverly acted like it hit him.
    I don't mean the elbow. Obviously the elbow swing missed him. But we can't tell from that angle that the left arm swinging down when Hill begins his move doesn't make contact.

-Lance Stephenson

I remember seeing that and he flopped but hill did hit him, it was an exaggerated reaction but he did hit him. I'll see if I can find video from a different side

Hill's right arm went by first and made no contact, but then you cannot tell if the left arm did or not, from that angle
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

http://on.nba.com/1h88eg4

i tried embedding the video

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:

I think he did the same thing when Evan Turner tried to post him up. But if the refs are stupid enough to fall for it. I guess that's the current sad state of the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by ThA HoyA View Post

I take it back, he did graze him and when you get hit in the nose, even a graze it can hurt, similar to another area. Now that said, still may be some accentuating there, but I call this a legit foul, imo.

I thought he got caught pretty good. And being that his nose had been broken already, I don't think there was any oversell at all.

-Lance Stephenson

Yea he barely got grazed across the mask.. but with a broken nose, im sure it hurt a lil bit with his nose being sore and all ...

But yea in regards to actual flopping, SURE fines are a good deterrent... BUT, if the NBA were truly serious about cracking down in it , what I personally think they should do is this...

First off , let me say that they should still stick with the punishment they recently instituted , with the 1st one a warning... and the 2nd one a fine...

BUT , they need to take it a step further.... Any player that flops any more times during the regular season after the initial "freebie" warning they receive from the 1st flop, and they make the following list explained below ...

They need to make a section on the FRONT PAGE of NBA.com and call it "The Flop of Shame" or something with similar sentiments to get the point across...
    Basically , if a player is a habitual flopper he gets put on the very public list that updates bi-weekly ... which will keep an active count of every player who flops and of every time they get caught...
    Also there should be videos of each flopping incident that each player commits for the whole world to see....

I say shame the offenders into stopping the ridiculous flopping... embarrass them for the downright embarrassment they are to the game of basketball and the league ... I mean it is one thing selling an actual clobbering a little bit to get to get the call... and it is TOTALLY another to not even get touched yet act like you got shot lol

But if they wanted to even take it up another notch and go another step further....

At the end of the regular season, when individual player awards such as league mvp and etc.. are named and given out......... There should be a ceremonial "flopper of the year" named determined by fan vote from the videos collected for each player on the "Flop of Shame" list ...and air a special on nbatv about flopping around awards time... and whoever is voted flopper of the year.... instead of winning a trophy, the top 3 floppers have to all pay HEFTY fine ... Let's say for example number 1 flopper has to pay $50,000 .... and 2nd and 3rd place floppers each have to pay $25,000 each ....
    Altogether totalling $100k ... WHICH will get divvied up and donated to a charity of sorts... like a children's hospital from each of the 3 player's team's state/city .... along with the collected flop fine money from the entire league being donated to charity as well..

Now THAT is how you end flopping.. lmao ...
    Last edited by Kemo; 03-11-2014 at 08:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

I've said it once and I'll say it again. They just pick and choose when to enforce the rule. Lance gets fined nearly every time he flops, while LeBron or Wade can do it all night long. It's just inconsistent.
    @qandrews9428

29. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    The other angle didn't look like it during the game that he did. He did come out of the game and acted dazed, so he really try to sell it all the way. .

After watching the replay, a sub was off the bench to replace him before he was ever hit.
    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama-Redneck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Terrance Jones' flop when West went to post up was the worst one of the night. And this is why I laugh at any suggestion that the NBA doesn't have an officiating problem. When flops are supposed to be looked at by the league, and they continually miss blantant flops, you cannot tell me there's not a conscious effort to ignore certain rules.

They NBA makes rules they have no intention of enforcing consistently, which ends up meaning they're enforced selectively.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

At least it looks like the league is serious about eliminating it

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/nba_dleague_flopping_penalties_2014_02_19.html

NEW YORK, Feb. 19, 2014 -- The NBA Development League will begin assessing technical fouls for in-game flopping, league President Dan Reed announced today. The technical foul penalty for flopping will begin to be implemented in games played on Thursday, Feb. 20, and will continue through the completion of the 2013-14 NBA D-League season.

Application of the new experimental flopping rule will involve NBA D-League officials assessing technical fouls to any player who, in their judgment, has flopped. Officials will be required to confirm all flopping calls on instant replay monitors. The instant replay review will be conducted at the first timeout or quarter break following the flop call, and if confirmed, the technical foul will be assessed at that time. Any flopping calls made in the game’s last two minutes will be reviewed and assessed immediately.

“There isn’t a better place to experiment with NBA rules than in the NBA D-League, and we are pleased to test this experimental rule that, for the first time, creates an in-game penalty for flopping,” said Reed. “The NBA D-League is the research and development laboratory for the NBA and both leagues are always evaluating ways to further the game.”

Flopping is defined as any physical act that appears to have been intended to cause the referee to call a foul on another player. Such determinations are made if a player’s physical reaction to contact with another player is inconsistent with what would reasonably be expected given the force or direction of the contact.

The flopping penalty joins a number of basketball rules being tested in the NBA D-League this season, including the use of the international goaltending rule and shortened timeouts. The 50-game NBA D-League regular season comes to a close on Saturday, April 5.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

At least it looks like the league is serious about eliminating it

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/nba_dleague_flopping_penalties_2014_02_19.html
    I think flopping should be a team technical, with the player being fined for it. Players curiously being tossed either with 2 flops, or a scuffle and a flop can make officiating even shadier than some people think.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post: