Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Post Game Thread Pacers Mavericks

Default Re: Post Game Thread Pacers Mavericks

It's so funny that a team that supposedly wants Smashmouth as an identity seems to be one of the mentally weakest teams in the league. We have so many players that can lose confidence at the drop of a hat.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

These are young players, mostly or new guys who are still trying to understand and fit into the 'smash mouth' meme. Throw in there that the "stars" PG, Lance and G Hill are no longer trying to play that style until forced into it. They only go into the paint to Roy and David when the dribble exhibition breaks down. We assume the Coach is still calling the same plays, but the players are not running them and going to a little free lancing on their own.(Pau, Lance, Evan and in some ways Cope). One more and I'll go to the old bed. Losing Granger in the sudden and un-discussed way we did, even if we got a better player, still to be seen, has to make some of the team look at the organization in a different way. Granger was The Captain to these younger guys, got hurt but stayed in town and stayed with the team. Came back a little too early and spend the early days on the bench even on the road, cheering and talking and teaching. Wonderful things were said about DG by teammates, Coaches and even the Legend, right? Then one day, Bang, he's gone with not a soul talking about him being a drag on the team. Just Gone for a shoot first, combo guard who can play some 3 spot but can't body any SF in the league. Makes a young guy think, If I get hurt, if I have a slump, will I be tossed aside in the same way? Confidence plays a large part in the 'chemistry' of a ball club. Insert that little worm of uncertainness and STRANGE thoughts can start to pop up in the other players. Not claiming that's what is wrong with the Ps, but I've seen work groups broken down in similar ways to the detriment of the team goal.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Something I noticed that I haven't really seen anyone mention yet in this thread, is how Dallas played us..
    EVERY time west would get the ball anywhere near his usual spots going towards the basket, there were 2 or 3 Mavs on him immediately..
    It seemed that Dallas suffocated us and played us very hard defensively almost kinda a little rough imo ..everytime we got the ball inside the 3pt line, and it was clearly frustrating us...
    What it boils down to is this IMO .... First, compounding all of our other problems we have been dealing with.... (beaten up/slightly injured players.... our offensive slump... any mental fatigue/late season brick wall type problems..... ) I honestly believe it was just the perfect storm for our play being as bad as it has been lately .... basically everything piled on at once.....

THEN you have to factor in every team wanting to beat the Pacers since we are top dog record-wise in the East .. I believe that teams have gameplanned for us and have figured out a way to defensively frustrate us into our game being throwed off balance... I also think our defensive woes are all a side product of everything above compounded together and turning it into a mental issue...

We NEED to gameplan for when teams smother us defensively like Dallas did all game, and find other ways to make them pay .. I think having Copeland and CJ (when he comes back) to kick the ball outto when we get dbl and triple teamed like that .. is CRUCIAL to overcoming those types of stifling defenses .. Once teams respect us having the ability to hit that 3ball , they will lessen up on the those dbl teams on West and others... But right now teams can get away with it , and are....

This Dallas game was all of that in a microcosm ....
    We definitely NEED to start focusing more on the defense that got us to this point... Once we do that, everything else will follow ...
    Last edited by Kemo; 03-10-2014 at 10:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Pacers have been marked. And teams know how to beat us now. And every team is gonna throw haymakers at us in the opening quarter and try to get up big because they know this team doesn't have the extra offense needed to just out right comeback and take a game. The games are going to continue on this trend until the team figures out how to scrap their way back and clutch victory through the bloody hands of their opponent and rip it from their limbs.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pacers have been marked. And teams know how to beat us now. And every team is gonna throw haymakers at us in the opening quarter and try to get up big because they know this team doesn't have the extra offense needed to just out right comeback and take a game. The games are going to continue on this trend until the team figures out how to scrap their way back and clutch victory through the bloody hands of their opponent and rip it from their limbs.

Why not just play league's best defense out of the gate like they are capable? Screw this getting down by double digits all the time.

Biggest Pacer Fan PacersForever's Avatar

People, even if we don't play our best defence is it STILL good enough to beat our opponents sometimes.

Yes, if we play our beat defence were going to win the game.

However this team has advanced offensive weapons and not everyone wants to play phenomenal top 5 all time defence every night.

If we play like the best defensive team in the nba everynight we will win. If we play top 15 defence we are going to loose most likely because most nights especially as of late of nights our offence is 20-30th.

Fix the offence Frank, now.
    Last edited by PacersForever; 03-11-2014 at 02:00 AM.