Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rest/health or home court advantage?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Rest/health or home court advantage?

I know the Pacers have stated numerous times they are going for home court advantage. Obviously you will take it if you can get it, but at what point does "selling out" for home court advantage become counterproductive?

My take it lets develop the bench, get Scola's shot right, see what (if anything) Cope can do given time, get Turner comfortable and keep Ian rolling. Lets cut back on starters minutes and make sure they are rested and healthy come playoff time. I mean Paul is banged up, West isn't getting younger and Roy needs something. If we can do this and manage to retain homecourt advantage over Miami, well great. If we can't Miami can have the homecourt but we will be healthy and ready.

Just how deflating would it be though to lost homecourt and face Miami bruised and battered?

Default Re: Rest/health or home court advantage?

I say go for home court advantage. If we rest up and try to get healthy, I'm afraid we'll be rusty and off our game when the playoffs start. The more intense we play at the end of the regular season, the easier it will be to match that intensity come playoff time.

Paul isn't banged up. Just has a sore back from the Jazz game fall. Similar to what Stephenson had when he took that DIE-HARD'esque tumble vs. Atlanta. Only Lance took two days + 1 full game off. Paul had two days off but played against GS. Then b2b vs Charlotte. He looked good out there physically vs. Charlotte even though he said his back was tight and sore while he was playing. His shots just didn't FALL.

Everyone else is fine seemingly. My remedy is cut Lance's minutes down by 12. Give those to Rasual. Go with a ten man rotation. Copeland should play over Scola simply because he brings more dimensions to the game. Scola brings a jumper. Cope brings the 3, a post up game, better D, and young legs. YOUNG LEGS are very important.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How did the last two years work out without home court? Granted this team has improved a lot, particularly over two seasons ago, but still.

With the way the Heat and Pacers trade barbs, it's likely that the series will be tied at 2-2. Do you want 2 of the final 3 games (including the Game 7) in Miami or Indy? We've killed ourselves for this one seed all season, so it would be a damn shame to lose it now. We must continue to go pedal to the metal from here on out.

We can beat the Heat without home court, but we're going to have to basically play perfect. We either have to take all 3 games in Indy and then steal 1 in Miami, or we're going to be forced to win 2 down there if they steal one at the Fieldhouse. None of that is impossible, but it sure as hell would be hard. Having homecourt advantage would at least give us a little bit of a cushion. Imagine having a 2-2 series and knowing that the 2 of the final 3 games were in Indy.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

With the exception of David West, our starters are pretty young and should be able to handle it. I'm to a point where if we get home court, great. If not, I still feel that we'll give Miami a great run at the Eastern Conference championship this year. Although we lost the second game to the Heat, I was really encouraged that we had built a lead at one point and had a chance to win point despite Hibbert only scoring 6 points. A year ago, we wouldn't have even been in contention if Hibbert put up 6 points against the Heat.

HCA easily. I think Pacer fans need to settle down. The Heat were just spanked by 24 points by the Spurs.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BenR1990 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the exception of David West, our starters are pretty young and should be able to handle it. I'm to a point where if we get home court, great. If not, I still feel that we'll give Miami a great run at the Eastern Conference championship this year. Although we lost the second game to the Heat, I was really encouraged that we had built a lead at one point and had a chance to win point despite Hibbert only scoring 6 points. A year ago, we wouldn't have even been in contention if Hibbert put up 6 points against the Heat.
    How many times are we going to rest on that? We have to give them more than a great run or it will be a colossal failure. It really is finals or bust this year IMO.

hca. no doubt about it. said it before gonna say it again. i don't think we can win it all without hca.

Rest/Health or Home Court Advantage?

How about consistent effort, playing together and some grit. The trend in those areas has been poor for a while now. Take care of that and HCA will take care of itself.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Home court is vital. The only thing more important is being healthy. But there is nothing IMO that you can do right now that would insure health almost 3 months from now when the ECF will take place. You play it out.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

No time for rest right now. You've got the Heat biting at your heels, and you absolutely need HCA.

Sports Logo

Home court or bust. The Pacers need to win tonight, beating a streaking Rockets after a couple of losses would help the confidence a lot. Nice that the Spurs took care of the Heat last night but the Pacers cant count on the Heat and Thunder to keep losing games when the Pacers do.

I don't put as much of an emphasis on home court as most, but as long as we take care of business in the first round, as they should, the Pacers should get a decent amount of rest before round 2 starts. So I am not worried about rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I don't put as much of an emphasis on home court as most, but as long as we take care of business in the first round, as they should, the Pacers should get a decent amount of rest before round 2 starts. So I am not worried about rest.
    Yes ending the first round quickly and the second round quickly will be huge. Playing 10 games before the ECF vs playing 14 games before the ECF is much more important to being rested and healthy than anything that could possibly take place now.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

HCA.

We could potentially sweep the first round and get 5-7 days of rest after the first round is over.

I think if guys are hurt or have nagging injuries that would heal with a week or two of rest, then you should probably go ahead and rest them. If not, put Miami in your crosshairs and aim for home court.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Part of me doesn't want a full week between playoff rounds. It seems like the rested team comes out sluggish and rusty when that happens.

I'd be good with 2-3 days, like a long regular season break.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Part of me doesn't want a full week between playoff rounds. It seems like the rested team comes out sluggish and rusty when that happens.

I'd be good with 2-3 days, like a long regular season break.

Maybe so, but the reality is if one team ends a series in 4 games, there is going to be a 5 to 6 days off before the next series starts. So the question isn't how long do you want between games. The question is are you willing to play another game or two to shorten the days off from 6 to 2. I am certainly not. I hope we sweep the first two rounds and have 1 weeks off after each round.

I mean sure if we could sweep each round and have 3 days off only that would be ideal, but that is not an option.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I would rather have a week off after sweeping a team, than have no time off cause it went to 6 or 7 days.

I don't expect us to have much time off after the second round. Both us and Miami should be able to take care of their second round opponent in 5 games.

I still think we lost to the Magic in 1995 ECF because we had to go 7 games to beat the Knicks in the semis after leading the Knicks series 3-1. The Knicks won two straight to force a game 7. Felt like because of that Pacers lost the first two against the Magic before they got into that series. Plus that series games were every other day, so the Magic had the rest advantage I thought throiughout the whole series.

I still remember an uncle of mine saying when the pacers had a 3-1 lead that he hopes it still goes seven. He was crazy then and still a little off today

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    HCA easily. I think Pacer fans need to settle down. The Heat were just spanked by 24 points by the Spurs.
    I so agree. The Pacers aren't that great of a road team so they really need HCA, especially against the Heat and any Western team that they might meet in the Finals.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 03-07-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Phil, Pat, Pop and other HOF coaches have tended to answer this question with a resounding "Rest/Health", but only to the extent that they felt that a given team could be dominant in the playoffs with maximized health / freshness, and the likelihood of matchup issues happening given what teams they were likely to face depending on the playoff seeding.

If we lose HCA to Miami then we'd better be prepared to take them out in 6.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I know the Pacers have stated numerous times they are going for home court advantage. Obviously you will take it if you can get it, but at what point does "selling out" for home court advantage become counterproductive?

My take it lets develop the bench, get Scola's shot right, see what (if anything) Cope can do given time, get Turner comfortable and keep Ian rolling. Lets cut back on starters minutes and make sure they are rested and healthy come playoff time. I mean Paul is banged up, West isn't getting younger and Roy needs something. If we can do this and manage to retain homecourt advantage over Miami, well great. If we can't Miami can have the homecourt but we will be healthy and ready.

Just how deflating would it be though to lost homecourt and face Miami bruised and battered?
    There is no dislike option here, and yet I cannot dislike this entire post enough.

HCA more often than not is the difference between winning and losing game seven in June. You do. Not. Ever. Sacrifice that if you have the choice.

Nevermind the irony in losing games to develop a bench that you won't use much once the playoffs start.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-07-2014 at 05:37 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    And the Pacers were just spanked by 22 point by the Bobcats.

We go for HCA....no doubt.....as in....Go Strong or Go Home.

But I think that there is benefit to using more of the depth that we have in regular season ( when we can afford to use it ) so that the Starters aren't run into the ground by the Playoff time...when Vogel will HEAVILY depend on them.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.