Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

Sports Logo

Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The one series that I'll never see as clean was that 2002 Kings/Lakers series. People like to talk about how the Kings could have still won based on better play, which is of course true, but speaking only to the officials... something really stunk there.
    While its true they could have probably come back and won it, losing the game because of the refs killed their confidence and without confidence you can not win in the NBA.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good luck Mr. Silver, because the refs in tonight's game against Houston were complete horse s***

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    Good luck Mr. Silver, because the refs in tonight's game against Houston were complete horse s***
    Not that I disagree, but for tonight poor officiating was irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Not that I disagree, but for tonight poor officiating was irrelevant.
    Agreed. But before the game was out of hand, the officiating was still bad.

Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    We're playing a Western Conference team in their gym. We weren't gonna get calls. West teams chuck jumpers and 3's all day. If you don't play that way, you won't get any calls against a West team in their gym. That goes for all West teams.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is no issue....so let's change a bunch of stuff about how we handle the issue....that doesn't exist....

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!!!

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    The real solution to this is to mandate that all players where sensor-suits on the court. Place 12' sensor-reading walls on all sides of the court that determine true fouls, in real time, using the output readings from the sensor suits, via a complex, floating-point algorithm engine that calculates physics, angles, and trajectories of all moving parts on the court with tolerances and thresholds to allow for just the right amount of natural physicality and bumping without registering the action as a true foul. It will also account for any steps taken beyond the allowed limit for a travel, to accurately locate travel scenarios. It will use physics to determine the energy and power of the impact to determine if a foul is a normal foul, a flagrant 1, and a flagrant 2. It will also listen for certain key words the players utter on the court, and upon detection will call them for a technical. It will monitor the lane to ensure no one enters it before the free-throw shooter has truly released his shot. It will monitor the shooters foot to make sure he was, indeed, behind the 3-point line. It will also learn over time, so as to take the fault rate from an initial 0.0000000001% percent to an eventual even 0%.

Then... and only then..... will people shut the hell up.
    No, the complaint then would be about whether the sensor tolerance parameters are the same for all players, teams, and games, as well as at all times within any given game. There would also be those who would wonder who has the ultimate authority to determine those parameters in the first place and what hidden agenda(s) influence their decision making process.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Wanna make the refs better? Drop that fine rule. Players and Coaches should no longer be fined for criticizing the officials. Game refs are bottom of the league pecking order. Right (but barely) above the guy who sells cotton candy and peanuts in the stands. Fans pay to see players, players play for the fans. No one cares for or about the refs. Their job is to blow the whistle, line up guys for free throws, and keep fights from happening on the court. That rule about fining ref criticism from players and coaches puts too much power in the hands of lower eschelon players in the overall NBA power structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Wanna make the refs better? Drop that fine rule. Players and Coaches should no longer be fined for criticizing the officials. Game refs are bottom of the league pecking order. Right (but barely) above the guy who sells cotton candy and peanuts in the stands. Fans pay to see players, players play for the fans. No one cares for or about the refs. Their job is to blow the whistle, line up guys for free throws, and keep fights from happening on the court. That rule about fining ref criticism from players and coaches puts too much power in the hands of lower eschelon players in the overall NBA power structure.
    The refs are incredibly important. I sure as hell wouldn't pay money to attend an unofficiated NBA game, nor would I waste my time tuning in to watch one on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    The refs are incredibly important. I sure as hell wouldn't pay money to attend an unofficiated NBA game, nor would I waste my time tuning in to watch one on TV.
    Dude, refs can be replaced. If the pro refs can't get their act together bring in college refs. They'd welcome the pay upgrade.

Dude, refs can be replaced. If the pro refs can't get their act together bring in college refs. They'd welcome the pay upgrade.
    The players can be replaced too. If you don't believe the NBA officials are the best basketball officials in the world, that is another issue. That doesen't change the fact that the quality of the officiating makes a lot more difference than the quality of the "cotton candy guy" as you put it.

The players can be replaced too. If you don't believe the NBA officials are the best basketball officials in the world, that is another issue. That doesen't change the fact that the quality of the officiating makes a lot more difference than the quality of the "cotton candy guy" as you put it.
    Why? I don't see refs selling jersey's. I don't see ref bobblehead's or big heads. I don't see refs featured in highlight reels on sportscenter. They don't bring in any revenue for the league. That makes them expendable. Giving them power over players and coaches beyond the whistle is appauling.

Why? I don't see refs selling jersey's. I don't see ref bobblehead's or big heads. I don't see refs featured in highlight reels on sportscenter. They don't bring in any revenue for the league. That makes them expendable. Giving them power over players and coaches beyond the whistle is appauling.
    Do you see GM jerseys, bobbleheads, or big heads? Do you see GMs making highlight reels on Sportscenter? There is a lot more that goes into putting a compelling product on the court than jersey sales and bobbleheads. Again, I would watch exactly zero minutes of an unofficiated NBA game. The officials are an integral part of the product the NBA sells.

Do you see GM jerseys, bobbleheads, or big heads? Do you see GMs making highlight reels on Sportscenter? There is a lot more that goes into putting a compelling product on the court than jersey sales and bobbleheads. Again, I would watch exactly zero minutes of an unofficiated NBA game. The officials are an integral part of the product the NBA sells.

Indeed. However, lowly referees should not have enough power to affect the outcome of a game. Their job is to police it, not decide it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Stern may be gone, but Kings and Spurs fans know that you are not alone in thinking that until Bavetta and Crawford retire, there will remain a big market/superstar bias perpetuated by the refs. But especially by those two. LOL

Indeed. However, lowly referees should not have enough power to affect the outcome of a game. Their job is to police it, not decide it.
    And I guess it's just an opinion, but I have watched them decide too many games to write it off as my imagination or some wild conspiracy theory. Did Tim Donaghy lie about everything just because he got caught? That's hard to imagine because it coincides with what I have observed with my own two eyes over the course of hundreds of games over many years.

That said I am all for a more transparent process.

Good luck Silver
    Smothered Chicken!