Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42

Thread: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

  1. #26
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,915

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The one series that I'll never see as clean was that 2002 Kings/Lakers series. People like to talk about how the Kings could have still won based on better play, which is of course true, but speaking only to the officials... something really stunk there.
    While its true they could have probably come back and won it, losing the game because of the refs killed their confidence and without confidence you can not win in the NBA.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Member adamscb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Age
    23
    Posts
    599

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Good luck Mr. Silver, because the refs in tonight's game against Houston were complete horse s***

  4. #28
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,304
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good luck Mr. Silver, because the refs in tonight's game against Houston were complete horse s***
    Not that I disagree, but for tonight poor officiating was irrelevant.

  5. #29
    Member adamscb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Age
    23
    Posts
    599

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not that I disagree, but for tonight poor officiating was irrelevant.
    Agreed. But before the game was out of hand, the officiating was still bad.

  6. #30

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good luck Mr. Silver, because the refs in tonight's game against Houston were complete horse s***
    We're playing a Western Conference team in their gym. We weren't gonna get calls. West teams chuck jumpers and 3's all day. If you don't play that way, you won't get any calls against a West team in their gym. That goes for all West teams.

  7. #31
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,363
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    There is no issue....so let's change a bunch of stuff about how we handle the issue....that doesn't exist....

    PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!!!

  8. #32
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,576
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The real solution to this is to mandate that all players where sensor-suits on the court. Place 12' sensor-reading walls on all sides of the court that determine true fouls, in real time, using the output readings from the sensor suits, via a complex, floating-point algorithm engine that calculates physics, angles, and trajectories of all moving parts on the court with tolerances and thresholds to allow for just the right amount of natural physicality and bumping without registering the action as a true foul. It will also account for any steps taken beyond the allowed limit for a travel, to accurately locate travel scenarios. It will use physics to determine the energy and power of the impact to determine if a foul is a normal foul, a flagrant 1, and a flagrant 2. It will also listen for certain key words the players utter on the court, and upon detection will call them for a technical. It will monitor the lane to ensure no one enters it before the free-throw shooter has truly released his shot. It will monitor the shooters foot to make sure he was, indeed, behind the 3-point line. It will also learn over time, so as to take the fault rate from an initial 0.0000000001% percent to an eventual even 0%.

    Then... and only then..... will people shut the hell up.
    No, the complaint then would be about whether the sensor tolerance parameters are the same for all players, teams, and games, as well as at all times within any given game. There would also be those who would wonder who has the ultimate authority to determine those parameters in the first place and what hidden agenda(s) influence their decision making process.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:


  10. #33

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Wanna make the refs better? Drop that fine rule. Players and Coaches should no longer be fined for criticizing the officials. Game refs are bottom of the league pecking order. Right (but barely) above the guy who sells cotton candy and peanuts in the stands. Fans pay to see players, players play for the fans. No one cares for or about the refs. Their job is to blow the whistle, line up guys for free throws, and keep fights from happening on the court. That rule about fining ref criticism from players and coaches puts too much power in the hands of lower eschelon players in the overall NBA power structure.

  11. #34
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wanna make the refs better? Drop that fine rule. Players and Coaches should no longer be fined for criticizing the officials. Game refs are bottom of the league pecking order. Right (but barely) above the guy who sells cotton candy and peanuts in the stands. Fans pay to see players, players play for the fans. No one cares for or about the refs. Their job is to blow the whistle, line up guys for free throws, and keep fights from happening on the court. That rule about fining ref criticism from players and coaches puts too much power in the hands of lower eschelon players in the overall NBA power structure.
    The refs are incredibly important. I sure as hell wouldn't pay money to attend an unofficiated NBA game, nor would I waste my time tuning in to watch one on TV.

  12. #35

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The refs are incredibly important. I sure as hell wouldn't pay money to attend an unofficiated NBA game, nor would I waste my time tuning in to watch one on TV.
    Dude, refs can be replaced. If the pro refs can't get their act together bring in college refs. They'd welcome the pay upgrade.

  13. #36
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dude, refs can be replaced. If the pro refs can't get their act together bring in college refs. They'd welcome the pay upgrade.
    The players can be replaced too. If you don't believe the NBA officials are the best basketball officials in the world, that is another issue. That doesen't change the fact that the quality of the officiating makes a lot more difference than the quality of the "cotton candy guy" as you put it.

  14. #37

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The players can be replaced too. If you don't believe the NBA officials are the best basketball officials in the world, that is another issue. That doesen't change the fact that the quality of the officiating makes a lot more difference than the quality of the "cotton candy guy" as you put it.
    Why? I don't see refs selling jersey's. I don't see ref bobblehead's or big heads. I don't see refs featured in highlight reels on sportscenter. They don't bring in any revenue for the league. That makes them expendable. Giving them power over players and coaches beyond the whistle is appauling.

  15. #38
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? I don't see refs selling jersey's. I don't see ref bobblehead's or big heads. I don't see refs featured in highlight reels on sportscenter. They don't bring in any revenue for the league. That makes them expendable. Giving them power over players and coaches beyond the whistle is appauling.
    Do you see GM jerseys, bobbleheads, or big heads? Do you see GMs making highlight reels on Sportscenter? There is a lot more that goes into putting a compelling product on the court than jersey sales and bobbleheads. Again, I would watch exactly zero minutes of an unofficiated NBA game. The officials are an integral part of the product the NBA sells.

  16. #39

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you see GM jerseys, bobbleheads, or big heads? Do you see GMs making highlight reels on Sportscenter? There is a lot more that goes into putting a compelling product on the court than jersey sales and bobbleheads. Again, I would watch exactly zero minutes of an unofficiated NBA game. The officials are an integral part of the product the NBA sells.

    Indeed. However, lowly referees should not have enough power to affect the outcome of a game. Their job is to police it, not decide it.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:


  18. #40

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Stern may be gone, but Kings and Spurs fans know that you are not alone in thinking that until Bavetta and Crawford retire, there will remain a big market/superstar bias perpetuated by the refs. But especially by those two. LOL

  19. #41

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indeed. However, lowly referees should not have enough power to affect the outcome of a game. Their job is to police it, not decide it.
    And I guess it's just an opinion, but I have watched them decide too many games to write it off as my imagination or some wild conspiracy theory. Did Tim Donaghy lie about everything just because he got caught? That's hard to imagine because it coincides with what I have observed with my own two eyes over the course of hundreds of games over many years.

    That said I am all for a more transparent process.

  20. #42
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    3,130

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Silver out to prove NBA has no referee issue

    Good luck Silver
    Smothered Chicken!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •