Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Square Pegs into Round Holes... thoughts on the Pacers in tight games..

Default Square Pegs into Round Holes... thoughts on the Pacers in tight games..

We've talked about starting lineups... what about closing lineups?
    Does anyone else get the feeling that the Pacers are trying to put square pegs into round holes with the lineup they are putting on the floor at the end of games?

Are they not putting unbalanced teams onto the court?

The two players in my sights are Reggie and Foster. I don't think both need to be in a close game at crunch time. I'm not convinced either needs to be there. This is not about the waning moments and needing a last second shot. This is the last 4-5 minutes of a tight game where every play counts leading up to that last second of the game.

If you're going to put Reggie in there, even tho he can't guard his shadow and might not take a shot until he can heave a prayer 3, then Foster becomes a bigger liability.

I believe Carlisle knows we need JO, Freddie, and SJax in the lineup because they can guard their men and create problems for the other team when the Pacers are on offense. But then he creates matchup problems for us because Reggie is getting minutes that should go elsewhere because Reggie cannot guard his man and the other players can't just lock down on their man. Basically, some Pacer(s) need to play out of position to get Reggie in the lineup (or Reggie has to play out of position). Hence, fitting square pegs into round holes. This complaint (IMHO) is especially true against high scoring teams with athletic scorers all around.

Hence, we're trying to put square pegs into round holes.

I'm of the belief this is the best Pacer team:
    SJax
    Croshere
    JO
    FJone
    Tinsley
    IMHO, this is still the best lineup even if you remove Tinsley and have to put Gill or AJ in as PGs due to injury

Reggie is becoming our version of Michael Curry at Detroit. What say you, Kstat?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Square Pegs into Round Holes... thoughts on the Pacers in tight games..

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reggie is becoming our version of Michael Curry at Detroit. What say you, Kstat?l
    No, teams won't just leave reggie wide open like they did Curry.

That said, its tough when you can't expect steady offense out of your SG spot. Nearly every team in the NBA gets at least SOME offense from there.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: Square Pegs into Round Holes... thoughts on the Pacers in tight games..

Fred didnt look like he can guard his man tonight, Gilbert made him his ***** in the last few minutes. But yeah thats the line up I would like to see also at crunch time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat

That said, its tough when you can't expect steady offense out of your SG spot. Nearly every team in the NBA gets at least SOME offense from there.....
    I meant in terms of Rick getting him minutes no matter what... for whatever reason (respect, legacy, history, attitude, etc ?) versus actual oncourt activity.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    I meant in terms of Rick getting him minutes no matter what... for whatever reason (respect, legacy, history, attitude, etc ?) versus actual oncourt activity.

-Bball
    I don't think Carlisle is ready to replace the starting SG for the last 19 years in the middle of a season....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

ReggieMiller8325

no fred had the ball and turned it over we need a player that can handle the pressure not a 3 year player thats on the bench.Reggie Miller is better than freddy just face it fred can,t defend to well.You guys overate him to much.

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMiller8325
    no fred had the ball and turned it over we need a player that can handle the pressure not a 3 year player thats on the bench.Reggie Miller is better than freddy just face it fred can,t defend to well.You guys overate him to much.
    You overrate Reggie too much,get of his nuts.

Bball, it is beyond my comprehensive how anyone, who watched the game tonight, could suggest that Jeff Foster should not be on the court at the end of games. And to suggest Croshere should be on the court instead of Jeff is laughable.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    You overrate Reggie too much,get of his nuts.
    Careful.

Well, we would if our best SG wasn't forced to play SF.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Bball, it is beyond my comprehensive how anyone, who watched the game tonight, could suggest that Jeff Foster should not be on the court at the end of games. And to suggest Croshere should be on the court instead of Jeff is laughable.
    Austin sure was off tonight that is for sure.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

ReggieMiller8325

thank you since he takes this so personal and i,m only 13 how can you speak to a 13 year old like that.you are a disrespectful j.o lover ok fred jones is overated and you all know it you talk like hes the best player on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    You're sidestepping my point by focusing on Foster. But since you are focusing on him you are correct... without some other changes I'd prefer Croshere over Foster most of the time.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

thank you since he takes this so personal and i,m only 13 how can you speak to a 13 year old like that.you are a disrespectful j.o lover ok fred jones is overated and you all know it you talk like hes the best player on this team.
    Who talks like Fred is the best player on this team?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Careful.
    My fault Shade.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Austin sure was off tonight that is for sure.
    I do have a perfect defense for Croshere...

When he comes off the bench just leave him wide open on his first trip down the court and don't take away the passing lane to him. If he misses then his confidence goes in the tank. Sure he could hit it and then kill you the rest of the game but coming off the bench cold should lessen his chances of getting that first basket. Average defense should be fine there on out.

Of course with Foster you don't have to worry about defending him all night long anyway

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Who talks like Fred is the best player on this team?
    I have to agree with RM 8...er...whatever on that one. There's been an awful lot of Freddie love since shortly after the suspensions, and I never did quite see what everyone else did. He's a solid backup, but not a starter on a championship contender.

Here is the truth about all this. When Tinsley comes back I expect Reggie to be on the bench in most of the late game situations. Not in all the late game situations, depending on the games Fred and Jax are having

Don't forget that In the most important minutes of the Celts game, the Pistons game, the games before Tinsley got injured, Reggie did not play at crunch time.

Tonight they had Fred, Jax and Reggie in, and I thougt it was effective

Take my advice......if you can't handle critisism, then leave and come back in a few years when you're old enough to take it. Nobody here is going to treat you like a child, even if you are one.

I don't care if you're 3, 13, or 83 (sorry geezer). You come here, you get the same treatment as eveyrone else.

My lineup would be

JO
    SJax
    Reg
    Foster
    Fred Jones

if Tins is back I would remove Freddie from that line up. I don't think he has the size of Sjax nor can he keep other teams honest like Reggie can. He has the quicks but I do not think he is a starting caliber SG in this league. At least not yet.

As far as today Reggie on Steve Blake was a good matchup. There are some teams that make Reggie a liability. But then Carlisle has sat Reggie down on defense and put him back in on offense on such occasions.

not going to get too much ball movment out of that lineup.....

You kinda need a PG in there somewhere......

ReggieMiller8325

come on guys did freddy ever do one clutch thing in his whole carrier hes a good backup but seriously reggie miller and tinsley and s-jax shouid all be in crunch time thats how it is.Fred jones chokes hes a 3rd year player if he at least played 30 minutes per game those years i wouid let him play in crunch time. in the last minute i say give the ball to reggie miller or tinsley if its a 2 point game or 3 point game when its a one point game give it to jeff or jermaine oneal.i respect freddy but please people stop overating him.

Take my advice......if you can't handle critisism, then leave and come back in a few years when you're old enough to take it. Nobody here is going to treat you like a child, even if you are one.

I don't care if you're 3, 13, or 83 (sorry geezer). You come here, you get the same treatment as eveyrone else.

ld:

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

ReggieMiller8325

i can take the treatment k-stat its just thats very disrespectful what if he said you are on hamiltons nuts.

I consider Fred a clutch player who is very mentally tough. If you watch that last play again, if he does not lose the ball, the Pacers would have gotten a good shot, Fred would have gotten around Jamison, and if someone else gcame over you had J.O diving down the lane.