Thread: Colts sign free agent inside LB D'Qwell Jackson

Default Colts sign free agent inside LB D'Qwell Jackson

Oops, I guess I should have read the off season thread first.

Veteran linebacker D'Qwell Jackson agreed to a contract with the Indianapolis Colts on Thursday.

Jackson received a four-year deal worth $22 million, including $11 million guaranteed, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Colts owner Jim Irsay and the team's Twitter account welcomed Jackson in separate tweets Thursday morning.

Welcome to the Colts, D'Qwell!
    - Jim Irsay (@JimIrsay) March 6, 2014

RT to welcome @DQ52 to #ColtsNation!!! pic.twitter.com/YvPpKGbbRI
    - Indianapolis Colts (@Colts) March 6, 2014

The Cleveland Browns cut ties with Jackson, who was due a $4.1 million roster bonus this month, on Feb. 26. He made visits to several teams in the days after he was released.

In joining the Colts, Jackson is reunited with former Browns coach Rob Chudzinski, who was hired by Indianapolis to assist coach Chuck Pagano after being fired by Cleveland after just one season at the helm.

"We are pleased to announce the signing of inside linebacker D'Qwell Jackson," general manager Ryan Grigson said in a statement. "He is a team-first guy that has been a very consistent producer on the field. The tempo, energy and determination he plays with are right up there with the best in this league. He brings a welcomed element of experience and natural leadership to our team, and we are excited to add him to the strong nucleus of linebackers we currently have on our roster."

The 30-year-old Jackson has made 96 starts in eight seasons. He led the Browns with 139 tackles in 2013 and has 418 since 2011, fourth most of any player in that span.

Jackson overcame two serious chest injuries earlier in his career. He missed most of two seasons but recovered and was a mainstay on Cleveland's defense despite playing under four head coaches and four defensive coordinators.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...dqwell-jackson
    Last edited by Strummer; 03-06-2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: inside is better than middle in title.

Default Re: Colts sign free agent middle LB D'Qwell Jackson

From Bruno's blog.
    http://blogs.1070thefan.com/2014/03/...ut-at-a-price/

So why did the Browns cut this eight-year stalwart?

The most obvious reason is money. They saved a reported $4.1 million in bonuses by releasing him before March 15, and his cap hit for 2014 was scheduled to be $8.1 million.

But another factor could’ve been his vocal criticism of the Browns’ in-season firing of coach Rob Chudzinski, since hired by the Colts as a special assistant to Chuck Pagano. After the firing, Peter King posted a tweet with the following quote from Jackson: “We fired Chud? You’re kidding, right? Are you kidding me?”

Now, the two are re-united, along with former Browns running back Trent Richardson.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just produce. 5+mill a year dictates that you do. He's gettin up there in age. I'm hedg-y on this signing.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just produce. 5+mill a year dictates that you do. He's gettin up there in age. I'm hedg-y on this signing.
    Honestly more worried about if his play falls off than his age, lots of good ILBs have played well past this age, but yeah as long as his still produces I am good.
    Why so SERIOUS

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sort of implying that. LB play tends to trail off beyond 30. I think you mean when you say "lots", you mean Ray Lewis and London Fletcher, lol.... they are freaks.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Terrible signing IMO.

does not fit the 3-4 is a liability in coverage
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I'm sort of implying that. LB play tends to trail off beyond 30. I think you mean when you say "lots", you mean Ray Lewis and London Fletcher, lol.... they are freaks.
    Pats had a bunch Mcginest, Bruschi, Vrable, Derrick Brooks, Cornelius Bennet, there have been a decent amount of guys. But yeah we will see how this goes down, could be a good deal could end up turning bad, but I like this more than the signings from last year, proven guy that seems to fit the system (in my eyes).

Hopefully he does not turnout to be a bust (here is crossing our fingers)
    Why so SERIOUS

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh, well if we're going historically, then ya. At any given time, though, there's no more than 2-3 30+ LBs who are top half of the league. Right now, we're probably talking about...

London Fletcher?

[EDIT] Here's a link: http://www.fftoday.com/rankings/play...p?o=2&PosID=60

Yea, not many. Only Fletcher is playing at a high level. There's a few who just crossed the 30 threshold... I'd bank money they'll trail off even further sooner than later. There's always exceptions at any position, like Bennett. He retired 14 years ago. Bruschi and McGinest were decent beyond 30, but I don't know if I'd qualify Vrabel as a top-flight LB beyond 31-32.

Still, I think it's safe to say we're talking about exceptions to the rule. I'd say signing a 30-year-old LB to a 5mill/year deal is questionable.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Colts sign free agent inside LB D'Qwell Jackson

Here are D'Qwell's contract numbers. They can cut him after 2 years with only $500k left on the books.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, that's good.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Here are D'Qwell's contract numbers. They can cut him after 2 years with only $500k left on the books.

only 878000 next year, that can not be right.. can it?
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    only 878000 next year, that can not be right.. can it?
    Note the roster bonus in '15 noted at the end. I'm not sure when that gets paid but it brings the '15 money up.

Mood

Note the roster bonus in '15 noted at the end. I'm not sure when that gets paid but it brings the '15 money up.
    Oh yeah, thanks, that is pretty interesting could be a 1 or 2 year deal, doubt it will be more than that... but we will see... pretty sure if his play declines he will rework his contract if we still want him around.
    Why so SERIOUS

Oh yeah, thanks, that is pretty interesting could be a 1 or 2 year deal, doubt it will be more than that... but we will see... pretty sure if his play declines he will rework his contract if we still want him around.
    I think the roster bonus is part of the $11 million guarantee. So it won't make sense to release him after 1 year. There must be some accounting advantage in having the roster bonus. I bet the bonus is divided by 3 and applied to '15, '16, and '17 for cap purposes. Probably means his cap hit will be too high to keep in '17 unless he's very productive.

Mood

I think the roster bonus is part of the $11 million guarantee. So it won't make sense to release him after 1 year. There must be some accounting advantage in having the roster bonus. I bet the bonus is divided by 3 and applied to '15, '16, and '17 for cap purposes. Probably means his cap hit will be too high to keep in '17 unless he's very productive.
    Yeah I have it now, I just read it wrong, but I weird that there is 11 min guarantee and it is put in the form of a roster bonus, because that literally means he gets the money if he makes the team. Oh well either way I hope it does not turnout to be a bad deal for us, I doubt it will but you never know.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah I have it now, I just read it wrong, but I weird that there is 11 min guarantee and it is put in the form of a roster bonus, because that literally means he gets the money if he makes the team. Oh well either way I hope it does not turnout to be a bad deal for us, I doubt it will but you never know.
    That's what I was saying in the other thread, it's basically a year to year contract where it should be good for him and the Colts. If he's still a productive player in year three, he hits the back half of that contract. If he totally bombs next year, or can't stay healthy over the next two then he will be gone. They only way it's a bad deal is if he is lost for the season or just doesn't play well enough to stay on the field, but even then it's only for one year.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Mood

Why the hate for the Jackson signing? He is a veteran and I know average careers for LB's tail off around his age but he is a special kind of player. He takes incredible care of his body, has great football IQ and plays with great tackling form.