Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

  1. #1
    The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Carmel, IN/Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    476

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    I know its a bit of a sports cliche, but we are a month and a half away from where play like we've seen of late will actually make a serious difference. I think it's time for a locker room leader (maybe West) to call up the boys for a players only meeting where nothing is (verbally) off limits. No excuses. No blaming. Just holding yourselves and your teammates accountable. its one thing to be all chemistry-y and brother-like when you are winning, but it shows a mental toughness that often times even championship-caliber teams don't posses if you can pick yourself up by the bootstraps after a struggle and prove the naysayers wrong.

    We have the best record in the NBA for a reason. We need to remind the league of that reason.


    Carmel HS Class of 2011

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to neosmndrew For This Useful Post:


  3. #2

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    We have the best record in the league because we play in the East and because Miami wasn't trying till a few weeks ago

    Unless something drastic changes this team will get the #2 seed and get bounced by Chicago in the second round.

  4. #3

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have the best record in the league because we play in the East and because Miami wasn't trying till a few weeks ago

    Unless something drastic changes this team will get the #2 seed and get bounced by Chicago in the second round.
    What? I don't even....

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,827

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Certainly David West seems pretty upset with what is going on.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  7. #5
    Member BenR1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Fredonia, NY
    Posts
    1,401

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What? I don't even....
    Yeah, I had to take advantage of some of the forum's personal modification features because of that stuff.

  8. #6
    Member circlecitysportsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Age
    34
    Posts
    579
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    This is the best thing that could of happened. They squeezed by terrible teams and finally got what they had coming. The bottom has fell out. Now we will see what they are made of from here on out.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to circlecitysportsfan For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Vogel gave this team over to the young guys too quickly. West,Hill, and Hibbert need to take it back. The team is playing too fast paced and no real commitment to the post on offense.

    People keep talking about doing what they did the first 20 games of the year. Well need I remind you that the first 15-20 games of the year they had a rookie out there in the starting line up. They were purposely containing Stephenson so that his wild and crazy style did not take from the starters production. It worked pretty well I think. But now Vogel has let Lance take over and the Pacers no longer play the style they are known for. Where is the emphasis on dumping it into the post and going to work and guys cutting towards the rim. Instead we got too much Lance Stephenson triple double machine. Mind you in the last Triple Double we lost the game.

    This team can not beat elite teams with Playing a this pace. They have to control the game pace.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 03-06-2014 at 09:12 AM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,843

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Has a players only meeting ever worked?

  13. #9

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has a players only meeting ever worked?
    I think the 2011 Cardinals had one. Course i think it was 2 months before they came alive

  14. #10

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What? I don't even....
    Chicago is playing better basketball than us right now. Bulls have been very good in 2014

  15. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    4,015

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Since it seems like Lance and Paul are coaching the team anyway why not exclude Vogel from the meeting. I honestly don't know how much a players only meeting could help. The players could talk about committing to defense again and try to figure out what was working so well earlier that they've gotten away from but that's Vogel's job. The players can't control the rotations so the bench can't help if they're not on the floor and the starters will still get too tired to play elite defense if they're overplayed.I really think Frank needs to do a 180 in his approach with the team and start coaching more instead of letting Paul and Lance run the show. It's a fine line because you want the guys who have the ability to create their own shot to have the freedom to do that but you can't get away from the inside game and using our size advantage, but we haven't been that team for months now. I honestly think most of the issues we have are on Vogel but I haven't heard him take any accountability for that yet. The first meeting that needs to happen and is overdue is between Larry and Frank.

  16. #12

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since it seems like Lance and Paul are coaching the team anyway why not exclude Vogel from the meeting. I honestly don't know how much a players only meeting could help. The players could talk about committing to defense again and try to figure out what was working so well earlier that they've gotten away from but that's Vogel's job. The players can't control the rotations so the bench can't help if they're not on the floor and the starters will still get too tired to play elite defense if they're overplayed.I really think Frank needs to do a 180 in his approach with the team and start coaching more instead of letting Paul and Lance run the show. It's a fine line because you want the guys who have the ability to create their own shot to have the freedom to do that but you can't get away from the inside game and using our size advantage, but we haven't been that team for months now. I honestly think most of the issues we have are on Vogel but I haven't heard him take any accountability for that yet. The first meeting that needs to happen and is overdue is between Larry and Frank.




    I think the team as a whole is fine but yeah Frank's RIGIDNESS is a bad thing. He should play a 10-man rotation. And use shooters off the bench. Instead of playing the slow and plodding Scola. Scola gave us good stuff in the 1st half of the season. But between fatigue due to him playing last Summer, an elbow issue, and a slump....Frank should've benched him. And coaching good offense is part of winning games. Butler and Copeland as 3 pt threats need to be on the floor off the bench. I hope Vogel sees that now, and I expect Cope and Turner (who did well together) to play vs. Houston.



    While the loss last night sucks, the fact that PG had back tightness, the back2back, and the dim lighting on one side of the arena, makes me think this was more of a circumstantial loss. I think between the Houston arena having no lighting malfunctions, and PG's back feeling better by Friday......we'll be fine. Here's an article that talks about the lights issue last night.


    http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489777


    The Pacers, shooting at the home end of the floor where some of the lights were out, were held to eight points -- the fewest allowed in a quarter this season by the Bobcats.


    I think it was more about lack of visibility, and less about Charlotte's defense.

  17. #13
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the team as a whole is fine but yeah Frank's RIGIDNESS is a bad thing. He should play a 10-man rotation. And use shooters off the bench. Instead of playing the slow and plodding Scola. Scola gave us good stuff in the 1st half of the season. But between fatigue due to him playing last Summer, an elbow issue, and a slump....Frank should've benched him. And coaching good offense is part of winning games. Butler and Copeland as 3 pt threats need to be on the floor off the bench. I hope Vogel sees that now, and I expect Cope and Turner (who did well together) to play vs. Houston.



    While the loss last night sucks, the fact that PG had back tightness, the back2back, and the dim lighting on one side of the arena, makes me think this was more of a circumstantial loss. I think between the Houston arena having no lighting malfunctions, and PG's back feeling better by Friday......we'll be fine. Here's an article that talks about the lights issue last night.


    http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489777


    The Pacers, shooting at the home end of the floor where some of the lights were out, were held to eight points -- the fewest allowed in a quarter this season by the Bobcats.


    I think it was more about lack of visibility, and less about Charlotte's defense.
    COME ON, there were no visibility issues. Its not like they were playing in the dark.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  19. #14

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    COME ON, there were no visibility issues. Its not like they were playing in the dark.
    I might disagree. Some guys had their head so far up their butts .......

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  21. #15

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    COME ON, there were no visibility issues. Its not like they were playing in the dark.
    I would agree with you but league officials came to BOTH coaches before the game started, and asked IF they wish to play this game. The lighting has to be pretty bad from the perspective of someone at the location if the refs and game officials have to ask both coaches if you guys even wanna do this tonight. I noticed the Pacers side of the court was pretty dark. Was it pitch black dark? NO, NOT EVEN CLOSE. But for an NBA basketball game? It was too dark. And there really is no excuse for issues like this with all the money spent on these arenas. I know it's North Carolina but come on. Where are you generators? Where's your electrician guy who sorts out these kinds of issues? Michael "Daddy warbucks" Jordan couldn't foot the bill for that? It puts the visiting team, who's already at a disadvantage....at even more of a disadvantage. That's all I'm saying. Most teams have a backup plan for these arenas when lighting issues arise. Seems they had none in Charlotte. And past NBA games have been fully postponed for leaky roofs. Remember, Vogel was given the option to not go forward with the game. I would've said NO, and it would've been a valid reason. The NBA would've then just scheduled the game for a makeup date. No big deal. But as a coach, you have a responsibility to protect your guys when they're gonna be compromised on offense, and defense as the visiting team.


    Here's another article mentioning it............http://www.sportal.com.au/nba/jeffer...31uykadgqwvsaa

    Said the stadium lights failed creating a dark half of the court. There's no excuse for this in a professional basketball game. And if it wasn't as bad as you say, considering neither me nor you were there.........the refs/officials don't ask coaches "do you still wish to play?" for a few dim bulbs or one blown light. It must've been quite bad.
    Last edited by Grimp; 03-06-2014 at 10:24 AM.

  22. #16
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,827

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    So how come the Bobcats were able to score on that half of the court while the Pacers continued to fail to score in the second half on the light side of the court? Why was the Pacers best scoring quarter the second (on the dark half of the court)?

    It was not an optimal situation, but it would have affected both teams equally.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  24. #17

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chicago is playing better basketball than us right now. Bulls have been very good in 2014
    That means they will beat us in the playoffs? Even Bulls fans don't believe that

  25. #18

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So how come the Bobcats were able to score on that half of the court while the Pacers continued to fail to score in the second half on the light side of the court? Why was the Pacers best scoring quarter the second (on the dark half of the court)?

    It was not an optimal situation, but it would have affected both teams equally.


    Half and half. Half of Frank being stubborn, and not throwing a different starting lineup at Charlotte in the 2nd half featuring Cope and Evan. Paired with Hill and two others. The other half? It's Charlotte's home arena. They play a ton of games at that place. It's familiar to them. It's not familiar to us. It's unfamiliar territory. Both teams might've been at an equal disadvantage? But more-so us than them. They've had two days off, time to stew in the LBJ-61 frenzy, and were at home. We were on night 2 of a b2b, sore PG, on the road, coming off a heartbreaking loss night before, and the electrical malfunctioning lights were just the icing on a big rotten cake.


    Sure, you can overcome adversity, but lack of 100% visual will affect even the best athletes. Not trying to make excuses, they got spanked last night. But I am gonna point out external issues if I see them. But I am more annoyed that an arena owned by a MAJOR cable company operation like Time Warner, couldn't have a top notch electrician or generator on hand there for these issues. Could've waited to tip off at 8 or something till stuff was worked out. It's another pet peeve of mine. These expensive arenas that are brought to a screeching halt when some lights fail to come on.

  26. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    4,015

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    I could live with a 9 man rotation as long as the bench minutes exceed 70 minutes and we're keeping all the starters except PG at no more then 32. Lance however needs cut to about 30 and kept with the starters instead of the bench. Frank is a weak link on this team right now but he can get the most of this team if he just gets more involved and manages the young players more. Larry has given Frank all the players he needs to get it done, it's on Frank to use the tools he has. If this team is worn down and comes up short in the playoffs I think a change has to be made. The players have responded to the players coach or freedom they've been give by Frank but I think guys like Lance, Evan, and to some degree PG would respond better to a hard nosed veteran coach. I'm not proposing that we make a change, that would be nuts at this point but Vogel needs to step up and adjust to what's happening now.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


  28. #20
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,843

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So how come the Bobcats were able to score on that half of the court while the Pacers continued to fail to score in the second half on the light side of the court? Why was the Pacers best scoring quarter the second (on the dark half of the court)?

    It was not an optimal situation, but it would have affected both teams equally.

    I missed the start of the game, so I thought either my TV was acting up or my glasses were off, but then I couldn't figure out why it seemed fine on the right end of the court.

    After finding out what the deal was it reminded me of watching games in the 80's. It used to be that when a game was on national TV they would bring in extra lights so it looked good for TV because some arenas were darker than others. But I think it was either early 90's or really late 80's they forced all teams to upgrade lighting so it was universal from arena to arena.

  29. #21
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,641

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chicago is playing better basketball than us right now. Bulls have been very good in 2014
    They were just blown out by Miami and Brooklyn. They're doing much better but their offense is way more inconsistent than the Pacers'. I don't think they have enough offense to beat the Pacers more than 2 times in a 7 game series. Toronto is a tougher matchup because of their speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  30. #22
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,963

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    I don't know if we necessarily need a team meeting, but it would be nice if someone in the locker room would light a fire and tell everyone with a sense of urgency, that "We need to start winning games and playing at the level we're fully capable of. It's time to get back to our smashmouth entity of tough hardnosed defense and working the ball first inside, then out offensively. Miami is at our heels." The best candidate would be David West, clearly.

  31. #23

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That means they will beat us in the playoffs? Even Bulls fans don't believe that
    If something doesn't change yes. Which is why I said that originally. If we keep play like crap, they will beat us. Toronto too. If we get our heads out of our asses then nobody except Miami can beat us. But people keep saying the Pacers are going to get their heads out of their asses, but its not happening.

  32. #24
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,645

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Wish granted:

    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...espnapi_public

    Looks like players had a lil' pow-wow.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  34. #25

    Default Re: I think someone in the locker room needs to step up and call a players-only meeting

    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •