Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

  1. #1
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Just a few seasons ago they had a team of Arenas, Hughes, Jamison and several other very talented players, but what did they do, they traded away threee future allstars for very little if anything. And some of you think the Pacers have made a few made trades over the years. Once again we can learn from this, NEVER TRADE YOUNG TALENTED PLAYERS TOO EARLY.

  2. #2
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just a few seasons ago they had a team of Arenas, Hughes, Jamison and several other very talented players, but what did they do, they traded away threee future allstars for very little if anything. And some of you think the Pacers have made a few made trades over the years. Once again we can learn from this, NEVER TRADE YOUNG TALENTED PLAYERS TOO EARLY.
    Is it still to early to trade Bender? Does he qualify as talented?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  3. #3
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    I dont think the Warriors could have kept Arenas but they made big mistakes by trading Hughes and Jamison for nothing young in return. All 3 of those guys are on a play off team scoring 20 ppg and the Warriors continue to suck, can you belive they gave Derek Fisher a 38 million dollar deal and Adonal Freaking Foyle a 6 year 48 million dollar deal. I mean WTF AJ is almost just as good as Fisher and he is paid like 30 million less and Jeff,David and Scottie are all better then Foyle.

  4. #4
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,956

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    UB, you're really mis-informed on this one.

    The Warriors didn't TRADE Arenas. He left as a FA. They were unable to re-sign him, because he was on a 2nd-round contract. They weren't allowed to offer him what washington did.

    Hughes wasn't traded either, Washington signed him away, and I don't blame GS for letting him go. Hughes was a complete bust in philly and GS. He never showed any signs of what he is now.

    Washington signed Hughes to be their BACKUP to Stackhouse. They never knew he'd blow up, eother.

    As for Jamison, trading him was idiotic, but GS was a bad team over the cap, and they had to use jamison as bait to get someone to take fortson and chris mills of their hands.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    I think they made a mistake not resigning Arenas but I am ok with a team not signing Antoins Jamison for the max. He is kind of a tweener in my opinion. He is too slow for a small forward and too small for a power forward. Larry Hughes is athletic but thats about it. He does not have a good jump shot and is not a pure point guard.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,173

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont think the Warriors could have kept Arenas but they made big mistakes by trading Hughes and Jamison for nothing young in return. All 3 of those guys are on a play off team scoring 20 ppg and the Warriors continue to suck, can you belive they gave Derek Fisher a 38 million dollar deal and Adonal Freaking Foyle a 6 year 48 million dollar deal. I mean WTF AJ is almost just as good as Fisher and he is paid like 30 million less and Jeff,David and Scottie are all better then Foyle.
    You're right about Arenas. They didn't have the money to match the offer he got. I think they just let Hughes sign with the Wizards too. And they essentially traded Jamison for Nick Van Exel.

    I thought the Wizards would have a chance to make the playoffs this year, because that group at Golden State won 39 games in the West. But I never thought they'd be this good, especially considering they're getting nothing from Kwame Brown.

  7. #7
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,956

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry Hughes is athletic but thats about it. He does not have a good jump shot and is not a pure point guard.

    that would make sense, since Larry is a SHOOTING guard.....

    As for the jumper, if he can get you 22ppg WITHOUT a good jumper, just imagine whats going to happen when he GETS one......

    Not to mention Hughes leads the NBA in steals by a MILE.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  8. #8
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,611

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    K-Stat is right on the money about how all of that went down. But one thing the Jamison trade should tell you is that you should be very very carefull when making trades just for salary cap. purposes. It very rarely works.

    Jamison for Van Excell was beyond dumb. Not as dumb as Poll.....er nevermind.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  9. #9
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    UB, you're really mis-informed on this one.

    The Warriors didn't TRADE Arenas. He left as a FA. They were unable to re-sign him, because he was on a 2nd-round contract. They weren't allowed to offer him what washington did.

    Hughes wasn't traded either, Washington signed him away, and I don't blame GS for letting him go. Hughes was a complete bust in philly and GS. He never showed any signs of what he is now.

    Washington signed Hughes to be their BACKUP to Stackhouse. They never knew he'd blow up, eother.

    As for Jamison, trading him was idiotic, but GS was a bad team over the cap, and they had to use jamison as bait to get someone to take fortson and chris mills of their hands.
    Excellent post, Kstat.

  10. #10
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jamison for Van Excell was beyond dumb. Not as dumb as Poll.....er nevermind.

  11. #11
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Kstat, I'm well aware of the circumstances of Gilbert leaving the Warriors, But I'm still amazed at the team the Warriors could have become

  12. #12
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,956

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kstat, I'm well aware of the circumstances of Gilbert leaving the Warriors, But I'm still amazed at the team the Warriors could have become
    Since they really had NO CHOICE in giving up arenas, there was never any "could have" to begin with.

    And Hughes falls under the catagory of, "sucked in 2 different cities, blew up in a third." He's a case of hindsight being 20-20. He wasn't worth what Washington gave him, and now he's a bargain.

    The only really BAD move was trading Jamison, but he only plays one side of the court, and paying him the max on a lottery club wouldn't have made sense.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  13. #13
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,611

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Actually I disagree that Hughes sucked in two city's. I thought he had a very promising start in Philidelphia & was quite suprised at his decline with G.S.

    He's playing well with the Wizards now though.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,173

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually I disagree that Hughes sucked in two city's. I thought he had a very promising start in Philidelphia & was quite suprised at his decline with G.S.

    He's playing well with the Wizards now though.
    The reason he declined in Golden State is because they tried to make him into a PG. Larry Hughes is NOT a point guard. It's the toughest position in the NBA to play, and you can't throw anyone in there unless they have some experience playing it before. Even players with experience struggle when they first come in the league.

  15. #15
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,956

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by shags
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The reason he declined in Golden State is because they tried to make him into a PG. Larry Hughes is NOT a point guard. It's the toughest position in the NBA to play, and you can't throw anyone in there unless they have some experience playing it before. Even players with experience struggle when they first come in the league.
    So explain Arenas, who never played PG before in his life.....

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that would make sense, since Larry is a SHOOTING guard.....

    As for the jumper, if he can get you 22ppg WITHOUT a good jumper, just imagine whats going to happen when he GETS one......

    Not to mention Hughes leads the NBA in steals by a MILE.
    Kstat

    I was referring to his Philly days when he played point with Iverson as SG. You can go by regular season stats in this short season (with his injury). His career averages are 14.7 ppg, 41% FG, 27.7% 3pt. FG, 3.2 assists , 1.55 steals and 4.6 rebs.

    On the steals, I agree with you. He is good with long hands and is an asset.
    These are decent stats, nothing that I would worry about if I lost him thru ***ency or had to include him in a trade. He does not have a tremendous upside. Athletic players who do not have a good jump shot are usually shut down in the playoffs where the defenses are better. You do not get pluck a good jump shot from a tree. You either have it or you don't. I don't think you can GET ONE at this level.

  17. #17

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    The GS mistake on Arenas was that they did not sign him to a three-year contract, or longer, in the first place. Like everyone else who passed him by in the first round, they had no clue he would blossom immediately.

    GS's two-year deal with Arenas simply didn't give them full Bird rights allowing them to re-sign him, since they were well over the cap; They lost him because the mid level exception was all they were allowed to pay Hughes and they were easily outbid by Washington and others who were below the cap.

    I believe we would have the same problem in signing James Jones, a second round pick, if he suddenly breaks out in a big way after the all-star break and someone wants to pay him a bundle in the off-season.

    Regarding Jamison. I didn't think he was worth the max and still don't. But he is a much more relaxed player now than he was with GS. He is one of those guys who can't handle being the primary player on a team. He needs to be a second or third option.

  18. #18
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,956

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kstat

    I was referring to his Philly days when he played point with Iverson as SG. You can go by regular season stats in this short season (with his injury). His career averages are 14.7 ppg, 41% FG, 27.7% 3pt. FG, 3.2 assists , 1.55 steals and 4.6 rebs.

    On the steals, I agree with you. He is good with long hands and is an asset.
    These are decent stats, nothing that I would worry about if I lost him thru ***ency or had to include him in a trade. He does not have a tremendous upside. Athletic players who do not have a good jump shot are usually shut down in the playoffs where the defenses are better. You do not get pluck a good jump shot from a tree. You either have it or you don't. I don't think you can GET ONE at this level.

    LArry Hughes never played PG in Philly. Eric Snow did.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So explain Arenas, who never played PG before in his life.....

    Arenas is not a PG. He is probably listed as one but is definitely a SG - shooting guard or scoring guard.

  20. #20

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The GS mistake on Arenas was that they did not sign him to a three-year contract, or longer, in the first place;
    Hindsight is only 20/20

    Second round picks a lot of times only get 2 year deals. It is just one of those unfortunate circumstances for them
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  21. #21
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,956

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arenas is not a PG. He is probably listed as one but is definitely a SG - shooting guard or scoring guard.
    Yes, but he's played PG ever since he started out in the NBA.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,226

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LArry Hughes never played PG in Philly. Eric Snow did.

    Everybody understands that Eric Snow was the point guard but I am referring to unsuccessful experiments that had him play point guard both in Philly and GS

  23. #23

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hindsight is only 20/20

    Second round picks a lot of times only get 2 year deals. It is just one of those unfortunate circumstances for them
    True enough, unfortunate for the team, but not the player. Arenas made out like a bandit, much better than any player drafted in the first round. I think these teams are being penny wise and pound foolish, especially on early second rounders. What's another year at half a mil or so?

  24. #24
    canyoufeelit
    Guest

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, but he's played PG ever since he started out in the NBA.
    So has Chauncey! Same argument. Gil is a combo guard, if you wanna call it that I guess.

    But what really sets Gilbert apart from the rest of the competition is that he's probably faster than Tony Parker and the best scorer that nobody's heard of. I was a fan when he was losing and it was like the guy wasn't even in tne NBA, funny how winning gets your name out there even though he's pretty much been the same player all this time

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: How stupid are the Golden State Warriors

    i don't think they ever experimented with him at point in philly.....it was GS that threw him at the point. brown wouldn't have stood for that experiment for one minute. hughes suffered from some major "deer in the headlights" syndrome while in philly. he reminded a lot of bender...........tons of talent, fun to watch, great athlete off the bench, but completely lost when it came to playing efficiently in a system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •