Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh Crap!!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Oh Crap!!

I writing this thru the wife's start-up page. My PC is under attack again it seems. It started with Jr. not getting his internet connection to work. Connect is ok but when you go to your startup page we get an error message samething if we try to skip to our favorites or any site. I was ok this AM but now my connection is gone bad too. I'm ok on the wifes for right now but who knows how long. I have McAfee set to autoscan and last night it detected a trojan in a download file, supposedly it cleaned it. But who knows hjow long we'll be alive around here.

The kids tell me it doesn't seem to affect their Instant messenger (of course not!)

I may need help to survive

no comments about my using IE or whatever...we all have our preferences.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Mood

Default Re: Oh Crap!!

Sounds like a browser hijacker...

Hope and pray that it's not the "about:blank" hijacker. That took me literally months to get rid of.

Mood

Yeah you don't want to hear about using another browser, but if you are using IE switching could really, really help you. I didn't want to switch for a long time, but when I did I got used to the changes in a month and could care less now that it's not IE. I use Firefox, btw.

PistonsDynasty

IE is trash, garbage, junk etc. My IE was hijacked a few years ago and ever since then I've used mozilla a.ka. firefox and set it as your default browser.

Go to download.com and download ad-aware or search & destroy. There are also a few other programs to clan-up your registry and get all that crap of your pc.

If push comes to shove you can always restore your pc to the factory state if you have your restore disc. But now I don't have to worry about anything with my iBook and Mac OS X, way better than Windows and much safer.

Stay away from IE and Outlook. Use Mozilla.
    There's no good reason to prefer IE over Mozilla or Firefox anyway. Just clean the bug and make the change.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Firefox is great. It's 100x better than IE.

I like IE...I've had no problems
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

ReggieMiller8325

what about netscape.net

Mood

Netscape is good too. I use it on my iBook.

IE is not friendly to non-power users and/or users with kids and multiple users who might not be as wise to their downloading and surfing as more seasoned users. Same for Outlook.

No offense to Geezer, but the fact he's asking what he's asking, and has been in this situation before, makes this an easy call. His computers shouldn't be using IE or Outlook.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I've ben hit by the about:blank before. Went to Mozilla...IIRC I couldn't use Mozilla with McAfee Virus scan and/or the firewall (I currently have both fer cryin out loud!) This supposedly came thru as a Trojan in a Download file. The only download I DID was the dial-up accelerator a week back.

Can I go back to the factory system? I dunno, I have a clone that is about 6 mos old (due to the last system being totally eaten by a worm...something completely fried my HD etc..and it was time anyway).

OK I'll be working on it.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

sounds like you need hijackthis

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

but I will echo what others have said , ditch IE and there are plenty of alternatives such as firefox or mozilla. I only use IE for Windows Update and I have removed all my IE icons , I can go a month now without scanning for spyware vs IE where I had to scan every other day to rid my system of crap.

www.spybot.com is an essential tool for every computer, if you don't have it already. Good luck!

I installed Firefox a few days ago, since it's all you guys talk about. Can't say I'm terribly impressed.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I installed Firefox a few days ago, since it's all you guys talk about. Can't say I'm terribly impressed.
    It's not bloated... gets the job done and done well... And minimizes your potential of getting brower hijacks or other problems via the web.

If you were just expecting Firefox to make you go "'wow' this thing makes IE look and act like crap" then I could see you wondering what the big deal is...

OTOH... if you were expecting it to look and surf fine, not be clunky, not make you miss IE, compare favorably to IE in user interface simplicity, and yet be less susceptible to bugs and other internet vermin then it's the way to go.

That's the key issue. It's a way around being susceptible to 'trouble' without really losing anything from the switch from IE (Except losing the potential to be infected).

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Don't forget the wonderful extensions

Yeah, I was gonna say Themes and Extensions are what really make it one-of-a-kind.

Mood

Tabbed browsing is small proof of God. I love tabbed browsing.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Since all of you guys are talking about netscape, mozilla, and firefox, which all are from the same company and pretty much the same thing. I would like to throw out another name in here. http://www.opera.com/

PistonsDynasty

Blizz, don't you have to pay to use Oprea? They only give you a certain amount of days to use it, sorta like a trail.

Hicks, you have an iBook too? Is it a G3 or G4 and what speed. iBook's are so pretty and sexy!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've had Opera as my browser for over a year and I have not paid a dime.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsDynasty
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Blizz, don't you have to pay to use Oprea? They only give you a certain amount of days to use it, sorta like a trail.

Hicks, you have an iBook too? Is it a G3 or G4 and what speed. iBook's are so pretty and sexy!!
    Well, let say there are always ways to get around with it.

My fave browser is Opera, but Mozilla is also good. I just find Opera to have a more customizable interface and faster mouse interactions.

Anyone and everyone should ditch IE, its a pos.

I had problems with IE that I could not get rid of so I reinstalled my operating system and switched to Mozilla Firefox. I have not had a problem since. Also, Adaware is a good free and safe program to run that can catch and remove a lot of potential viruses. Hijackthis is also good, though it can erase things that you might need if you are not careful.

I pretty much use Firefox all the time now. Run Ad-Adware and Spybot Search & Destroy. Download Stinger.exe from McAfee on a regular basis and run... (small executable which searches for and fixes known worms). Download ZoneAlarm personal...