Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Pacers / Warriors Post Game Thread - 3/4

Default Re: Pacers / Warriors Post Game Thread - 3/4

Some of you fail to realize what Roy brings defensively, I guess this conversation happened last season too

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This team needs to get back to running their offense through the post. They are one of the few teams in this league who have two guys in their frontcourt who can score inside and out and are pretty good passers. I've seen too much iso ball outside of Lance and PG, and I feel like Hill and Hibbert aren't being aggressive enough in looking for their shot. Beyond PG and West, no one really looked for their shot last night besides Lance, but he wasn't effective at all.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of you fail to realize what Roy brings defensively, I guess this conversation happened last season too
    We know he is a great defender. When Ian comes in though, there isn't a massive drop off, except for the number of fouls called. At this point, Roy's offense is almost non-existent, he rarely even tries to get good post position. I won't care if he steps it up against the Heat though.
    @qandrews9428

Yeah - I guess I did forget about that.

Points in the paint:

Indiana - 36
    Golden State - 32.

Rebounding is part of playing defense too, keeps the other team from getting the damn ball.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Yeah - I guess I did forget about that.

Points in the paint:

Indiana - 36
    Golden State - 32.
    And Paul George went 7-23 shooing, should we trade him too?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

On one hand, it's really frustrating to watch a team coast at about 50% for 43 minutes. I think that's on Frank more than anybody else.

On the other hand, it's really nice to know that when this team is engaged, they can nearly erase 43 minutes of horrible effort with about 5 minutes of kill mode defense. Against one of the better offensive teams in the league at that. In the ECF, it needs to be all the time.

As several people have said already, I think losing that game last night will be something of a wake up call. David West will be out for blood, and you can be damned sure he's bringing everybody else along with him. That said, tonight's not going to be any picnic. It's a very important game, because we have 2 much tougher road games coming up behind it in Texas. We have struggled on the road on the 2nd night of a back to back against everybody, and Charlotte is better than almost everybody realizes. They are the 7th best defensive team in the NBA, even with Carmelo and LeBron both torching them for 60. Roy Hibbert better be ready to work defensively, because Al Jefferson has been an absolute beast for the past couple months.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Rebounding is part of playing defense too, keeps the other team from getting the damn ball.
    Yea and our team is pretty damn good at doing it so I don't see the problem. Having guys like Stephenson and George takes some rebounds away from Hibbert

Yea and our team is pretty damn good at doing it so I don't see the problem. Having guys like Stephenson and George takes some rebounds away from Hibbert
    We are 2nd in the NBA right now in both total rebounding percentage, and defensive rebounding percentage.

This..
    Some fans will never see how Roy effects the game with defense but every basketball anyalst in the world does.
    Just look at our shot chart compared to the Warriors last night. 17 shots made in the paint by the Pacers to 8 for Golden State. Roy did his job on defense as he always does. It's not all about blocked shots and rebounds when Roy is in he alters the game. Our perimeter defense killed us and that's been the biggest issue we've had when comparing how we played early in the season vs how we've played in the past 20 games or so.

I think we've been struggling because we're taking the ball out of Lance's hands. And not just in halfcourt. It looks like he was asked not to get his infamous stolen rebound/dash in transition.

We started doing it after the All Star break, but now that Evan is here the ball has really been out of Lance's hands. I know we won five in a row but those are five wins that we expected to have.

It doesn't make sense to me. He creates so much offense for us.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but I'm sure our fast break numbers are down.

And man, that was a terrible shot by Paul last night. That shot exemplifies why he's nowhere close to being in the MVP discussion.
    Last edited by imawhat; 03-05-2014 at 10:16 AM.

And Paul George went 7-23 shooing, should we trade him too?
    Help me here ........ where did I say trade anyone ??

Roy is just not performing well lately. That's my point. And lots of people try to back him up as being a 'rim protector'. Just pointing out that he's not that lately either.

We can talk about PG and his new concept of himself somewhere else.

I just hope we win 2 of the next three games. Then we have Boston at home and get two days off after that to re-charge a get a practice in to work on some things.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

owl

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Help me here ........ where did I say trade anyone ??

Roy is just not performing well lately. That's my point. And lots of people try to back him up as being a 'rim protector'. Just pointing out that he's not that lately either.

We can talk about PG and his new concept of himself somewhere else.
    My fault, it was a poster before you who said we should trade him, but just because they score in the paint doesn't make it Roy's fault, I remember a couple lay ups because our wing defenders lost their man

Honestly, just because Golden State had points in the paint, isn't any indication that "Roy isn't protecting the paint". It shows me that our guys aren't staying in front of their man first and foremost...Roy comes to help..and then you give up a lay-up to Bogut or Lee inside who's left undefended. Our defense is supposed to "steer" perimeter guys into Roy, but it's not supposed to be consistent one on one collisions, bee-line paths between Roy and a perimeter player.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I just hope we win 2 of the next three games. Then we have Boston at home and get two days off after that to re-charge a get a practice in to work on some things.
    I don't think we will lose more than 5 games the rest of the way. Will 63 wins be enough to get the top seed?

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I think we've been struggling because we're taking the ball out of Lance's hands. And not just in halfcourt. It looks like he was asked not to get his infamous stolen rebound/dash in transition.
    Lance was just ineffective last night. He had a rough night defensively and fighting through screens on Klay Thompson, which warranted the switch to Hill. Offensively, he wasn't able to get much separation dribble and driving...and when he came in late in the 4th quarter after being cold off the bench, he presumed to shoot an ill advised 3 as soon as he touched the ball with a lot of time on the shot clock. Problem is, Turner gave us nothing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I don't think we will lose more than 5 games the rest of the way. Will 63 wins be enough to get the top seed?
    I feel the same way. It's going to be tight. It may come down to tiebreakers. Which is why I thought it was kind of silly that people were saying the two early season games against the Heat weren't more important than the average game. I think we will go 63-19. That is my current feeling. So I guess it just depends on how you think miami will do.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I feel the same way. It's going to be tight. It may come down to tiebreakers. Which is why I thought it was kind of silly that people were saying the two early season games against the Heat weren't more important than the average game. I think we will go 63-19. That is my current feeling. So I guess it just depends on how you think miami will do.
    We still play Miami two more times as well

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    It's going to be really close. I think it will take at least 64. I can't find more than 4 losses on their schedule.

This 3 game trip will go a long way to determining if we have a shot. Really can't afford to lose more than 1 of them.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

My pessimism is largely summarized by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZprKFCRPj6M

What the hell is that? On both Vogel and players: what the HELL is THAT? That is the worst mix of design and execution you will see in a clutch scenario.

I love Vogel, but this happens way too often. Yes, players deserve blame, but how many of these same kinds of possessions end with Paul George hero ball shots? This particular one was positively Tom Crean-ian.

If we split those 2, the 2nd tie breaker will be conference record.

Right now, we've got a 4 game lead in the loss column. Getting at least a split against them is absolutely vital.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    If we split those 2, the 2nd tie breaker will be conference record.

Right now, we've got a 4 game lead in the loss column. Getting at least a split against them is absolutely vital.
    While we're at let's just beat them both times

At a minimum they must at least split those two games.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Lance was just ineffective last night. He had a rough night defensively and fighting through screens on Klay Thompson, which warranted the switch to Hill. Offensively, he wasn't able to get much separation dribble and driving...and when he came in late in the 4th quarter after being cold off the bench, he presumed to shoot an ill advised 3 as soon as he touched the ball with a lot of time on the shot clock. Problem is, Turner gave us nothing too.
    I agree the offense looks so much better with the ball in Lances hands... In G Hill hands it's slow no movement and very predictable.. When we were blowing teams out its because Lance was creating and pretty much running the offense ... I hope Vogel recognizes this at some point ....