Thread: Pacers help returning soldier surprise family

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers help returning soldier surprise family

I don't know if any of this made the tv broadcast last night, but this was damn awesome to watch happen live (and not just because I've spent a season in G2), and the Pacers deserve kudos for helping make the surprise happen:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/game-...eteran-brother

Game Contestants Get Surprise Reunion With Veteran Brother
    Jeff Tzucker

March 2, 2014

During a timeout of the Pacers-Jazz game on March 2, 2014, G2 Zone member Aaron Rector and his brother, Brandon, took part in the Simon Mall Shootout. The game involves hitting shots to make money, including a free throw for $50, a 3-pointer for $250, and a half-court shot for $1000. Aaron and Brandon hit the free throw and the 3-pointer, but narrowly missed the half-court shot.

Photo Gallery: Brothers Surprise Reunion on Court »

When the game was over and the money was to be presented to them, their brother, Justin, a military veteran who had just arrived home from being stationed in Afghanistan, surprised them on the court with the money.

Mobile Users: Watch Video Here »

Overwhelmed by the moment, Justin couldn't lift his head when he first walked on the court. On the other side, Aaron and Brandon fell to the court when they first saw Justin before picking themselves up and sprinted over to him to give him a welcome home hug.

After reuniting on the court, the three brothers (and the rest of their family, including Aaron's full-term pregnant wife) went to the Locker Room Restaurant to have dinner courtesy of Levy Restaurants. When they were done with dinner, the family watched the rest of the game from courtside seats. To cap it off, Aaron and Justin were the first call-in guests on the Pacers OT radio show, hosted by Eddie White.

How was it that this could all come together so well? While the secret plan to have the brothers reunite at the game was already in the works, it actually turned out that Aaron's G2 Zone peers voted him to take part in the Simon Mall Shootout. The natural occurrence of Aaron being elected helped conceal the secret and then everything started to snowball. The Pacers front office folks then were able to work their magic behind the scenes to pull off the surprise.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers help returning soldier surprise family

Pretty cool; I saw the FSI broadcast show it.

There is a tiny part of me that wonders why the Pacers had to make a show of it. I love the way the pacers paid for dinner, gave them courtside seats, but the reuniting on the court?

I know the pacers meant well and to the extent that the pacers financed any part of this they should be commended.

But if that is me and my two older brothers I would not want to be reunited in that fashion - on the court in front of 18,000 people.

But that is just me

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's the picture I took. I sent it to Aaron and Brandon already

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sure if he didn't want to reunite with his two brothers...he would have just said he didn't want to do it in that fashion.

@Pacers24Colts12

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure if he didn't want to reunite with his two brothers...he would have just said he didn't want to do it in that fashion.
    sure I understand that. Maybe I should just keep it at I wouldn't want to do it like that.

Would the Pacers agreed to do all that but just leave out the surprise part of it? Would they have done it without the show. What if they set up the met before the game in private?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers are a pretty great organization, my thinking is they would have done that regardless.

@Pacers24Colts12

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    There is a tiny part of me that wonders why the Pacers had to make a show of it. I love the way the pacers paid for dinner, gave them courtside seats, but the reuniting on the court?

I know the pacers meant well and to the extent that the pacers financed any part of this they should be commended.

But if that is me and my two older brothers I would not want to be reunited in that fashion - on the court in front of 18,000 people.

But that is just me
    Oh c'mon you old fussbudget, I get at least 2 of these welcome home suprise youtube videos a week. It's the thing to do. Like you though, I'd prefer a private reunion.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Mood

13. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Damnit....i shouldnt be cutting onions while reading PacersDigest.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

But that is just me
    I listened to the brothers on my drive back to Bloomington last night (they were on the post game with Eddie White). I'm pretty sure it was the brother's (in Afghanistan) idea to surprise him on the court. He said he e-mailed the Pacers about 6 months ago with the idea, and then they basically put it all together for him. He was really excited about it.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post: