Thread: 2 in 1 Laptops

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2 in 1 Laptops

Hey everyone...I don't post very much, but I know there's quite a few tech savvy folks here, so I'm looking for a little input.

I'm in the market for a 2 in 1 for school. I'm left handed and I've long hated having to work around the spiral on notebooks and smearing whatever I write. Now that the technology is available, I'm wanting to use a 2 in 1 to completely replace all my notebooks and to save going through erasers like crazy for my math classes. Our co-op at work has one that's required at U of L, and he showed me what the OneNote software can do, and it's everything I'm looking for as far as that goes.

I have a buddy helping me out with researching them because I'm 10 years behind technology, but I won't turn down any input anyone has either. Also, I'm not looking at running out and buying one tomorrow and I'm not bound by a certain price either. My plan is to buy one sometime during the summer, well before the next semester starts.

Pretty much what I'm looking for is if anyone here has had any experience with them, and if you have, what has been your experience with them. Also, if there's any brand that I should just avoid at looking at. Or if you know of something that's somewhat similar on the market that will meet my needs as well.

Any and all input is GREATLY appreciated!

Default Re: 2 in 1 Laptops

I wish I could help, but I'm just a curious person looking to know more about them as well, so I thought I would echo your desire to learn more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you are looking for a notebook/pencil replacement I suggest looking into Evernote. I coupled that with my iPad and have replaced all paper in my work environment. I no longer lug around two or three notebooks depending on what meeting or who I am talking too. Evernote can be installed on your laptop and any device be it your phone or tablet device. Then you have a single sign on and you have all your notes everywhere you go. It has been a life saver being able to grab ,y phone and pull up some notes when meeting with people.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you are looking for a notebook/pencil replacement I suggest looking into Evernote. I coupled that with my iPad and have replaced all paper in my work environment. I no longer lug around two or three notebooks depending on what meeting or who I am talking too. Evernote can be installed on your laptop and any device be it your phone or tablet device. Then you have a single sign on and you have all your notes everywhere you go. It has been a life saver being able to grab ,y phone and pull up some notes when meeting with people.
    Is Evernote just software that you add on to a laptop/tablet? If so, I don't have a laptop with a touchscreen to use as my notebook. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but all the allergy medicine I'm on is starting to make me loopy.

Mood

I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 last month. MSRP $699.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-7537/pd

Not necessarily a 2-in-1, but it has a touch screen and it's a very powerful laptop. It plays a lot of the major games on Steam.

I also have a Microsoft Surface RT. Very handy to have around if you need quick access to Microsoft Office and Internet/Social Media. You can usually find them as low as $249 at Best Buy or Amazon.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/products/surface

Here is a kicker, I have actually been recommending this more than the Surface, but the Dell Venue 8 Pro. It has the full version of Windows 8/8.1 on it, comes with Office and you can expand the memory. It also works with Bluetooth Keyboards and Mice. I told my dad to get one and he loves it. It's $249 on Amazon.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd

8. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Question: Let's say I bought that Dell Inspiron 15 7000.

1) Could I dual boot to the Mac OS? And does apple sell that OS on disc anymore so that I could even install it as a dual-boot with Win8?

2) I see it has bluetooth. Do you know if Apple bluetooth keyboards play nice with Windows 8? And is there any reason why it wouldn't work if I can in fact get OS X on the Dell laptop?

My assumptions are that these are both possible, but I haven't researched it in a while and I'm not sure, so if you happen to already know, it'd be great to learn about it. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Flibertygibits View Post
    Is Evernote just software that you add on to a laptop/tablet? If so, I don't have a laptop with a touchscreen to use as my notebook. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but all the allergy medicine I'm on is starting to make me loopy.
    Yes, it is software/app you install on your device and the you create an account and log onto any device. On a laptop it just acts like any other software that interacts with a laptop. You do not need a touchscreen for it.

You can embed photots, sound and format text as you see fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Question: Let's say I bought that Dell Inspiron 15 7000.

1) Could I dual boot to the Mac OS? And does apple sell that OS on disc anymore so that I could even install it as a dual-boot with Win8?

2) I see it has bluetooth. Do you know if Apple bluetooth keyboards play nice with Windows 8? And is there any reason why it wouldn't work if I can in fact get OS X on the Dell laptop?

My assumptions are that these are both possible, but I haven't researched it in a while and I'm not sure, so if you happen to already know, it'd be great to learn about it. Thanks for sharing
    You gotta get creative...
    http://www.macbreaker.com/2014/01/in...th-niresh.html
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 last month. MSRP $699.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-7537/pd

Not necessarily a 2-in-1, but it has a touch screen and it's a very powerful laptop. It plays a lot of the major games on Steam.

I also have a Microsoft Surface RT. Very handy to have around if you need quick access to Microsoft Office and Internet/Social Media. You can usually find them as low as $249 at Best Buy or Amazon.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/products/surface

Here is a kicker, I have actually been recommending this more than the Surface, but the Dell Venue 8 Pro. It has the full version of Windows 8/8.1 on it, comes with Office and you can expand the memory. It also works with Bluetooth Keyboards and Mice. I told my dad to get one and he loves it. It's $249 on Amazon.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd
    I appreciate the suggestions, and the Surface and Venue look pretty good in my eyes. I'll give them both a try when I go out looking when the day comes that I actually get some free time. The only draw back I can see right away with the Venue is the screen size. For my use, the bigger the screen the better because I'm already having to do math problems with quite a few lines of work and it's only going to get worse in my next 6 math classes.

I saw kind of stumbled on this one, but I'm not sure how well the hinge will hold up after a few years...plus it's a 13" screen. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...plete-warranty

I've noticed since I've started looking that there's a difference between the active and passive s-pens and an active s-pen would be the option I would get. I haven't found if the laptop/tablet has to support the active pen or not. I'm pretty tired and not sure if any of that makes any sense.