Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Pacers / Celtics Post Game Thread - 3/1

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers / Celtics Post Game Thread - 3/1

Man, Evan Turner is so much more versatile than Granger. He is a much better athlete, ball handler and shot creator. Granger was a better long range shooter, but thats it. I like Granger, but getting Turner for him is an obvious upgrade.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So my question is: Will see the the ET/LS/PG backcourt again, and if so, how often? I think the answer is 'almost certainly' but it's the how often that I'm not so sure of.

I'll be honest, and I free admit it's very early, but on the surface I prefer ET at that spot to George Hill, and I realize that's going to be an unpopular thing to say, but IMO Hill is no more of a PG than Turner is, but I happen to like Turner's game more than I like Hill's so in an offense that doesn't really ask for a traditional point guard, I'd prefer ET, but that's just me. ET's play (or Hill's for that matter) could change my feelings later.
    We could see it again, that said I prefer Hill. Hill is looking to distribute the ball more and is also a better long range shooter that helps stretch the defense and creates lanes for Lance and PG to drive. With Turner in the defense can crowd the middle more.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    We could see it again, that said I prefer Hill. Hill is looking to distribute the ball more and is also a better long range shooter that helps stretch the defense and creates lanes for Lance and PG to drive. With Turner in the defense can crowd the middle more.
    Hill definitely spaces the floor with his shot, but I feel like with smart player movement combined with the talent of that trio (LT/LS/PG), you can negate a lot of that disadvantage anyway, especially considering the new mismatches you have with that size on the floor.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Well there are lot of situations where it applies in my opinion.
    Player A gets the ball at the 3pt line, dribbles around a bunch of screens and forces a tough contested shot. While never passing the ball.
    Player A gets the ball in a close game and chucks a quick shot early in the shot clock cause he was feeling it. While never passing the ball.
    Player A gets the ball at the end of a game and waives everyone off so he can go one on one for the contested stept back fadeaway (which is a terribly inefficient shot).

But its called Hero ball because only a handful of players in the league actually excel at it.
    i think that the Pacers cant play hero ball as we have so many guys to take the last shot.
    "We want Miami"

For all those people worrying about how we're barely beating bad teams and what will happen when we play good teams, especially in the playoffs... Anybody remember us losing our last 3 games and 5 of 6 to end last season and people freaking out? Yeah, me neither. Because this team knows how to play when it matters most. We'll be fine. Any win is a good win in the NBA, especially on the road.
    A healthy man takes a crap every day. A smart man does it on company time.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Manguera For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    I think this is probably one of the best points made in this thread. That's really why Vogel went with Turner and not Watson. Well that and Turner being a better, bigger defender.

Although it was Turner who controlled the ball down the stretch, it just as easily could have been Lance. I think Vogel realized that Boston did not have the personnel to adequately guard both players. I would imagine that both players were encouraged to work the ball, depending on Boston's matchup. It just worked out that Boston didn't switch off, so we worked through Turner and not Lance.

What I liked about Turner is that he seems to know his limitations. No matter how open he was at the 3-point line, and it was a lot, he only took the one three point attempt. Instead, he repeatedly went to his preferred spots, getting a 8 to 10 foot shots about anytime he wanted them.

Having Turner and Lance, both very capable slashers, on the floor together will prove to be a huge advantage for us. Paul can take advantage of some match ups, but just isn't nearly as good as the other two at handling the ball in traffic. With Turner and Lance on the court together, trying to create their own opportunities, it should result in a lot of open looks for Paul and West/Scola.

I've long been a fan of Danny Granger, but like everyone else I did see the handwriting on the wall. I think most would concede that a player with Turner strengths does provide a better fit with the needs of the team. We will miss Granger's post defense, but Turner's midrange game, slashing/creating abilities, along with an overall equivalent to better defensive presence, provides dynamics that are more valuable to us. I think Turner's fit will only get better at both ends of the floor as he plays more and more minutes with the team.

Obviously, most of us are absolutely giddy about the future possibilities. It appears to me that Turner may prove to be a player that gives the Pacers a lot of options this summer if the Pacers are forced to choose between Lance and Turner, or even GHill.

This is why Vogel should play Turner off the bench with Copeland and Rasual. He'll have shooters to dish off to.

Quote Originally Posted by Manguera View Post
    For all those people worrying about how we're barely beating bad teams and what will happen when we play good teams, especially in the playoffs... Anybody remember us losing our last 3 games and 5 of 6 to end last season and people freaking out? Yeah, me neither. Because this team knows how to play when it matters most. We'll be fine. Any win is a good win in the NBA, especially on the road.
    I even remember us getting spanked by the Knicks when they started Copeland at center against us in those last couple weeks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope the fact that ET played point guard last night will finally, finally put down the idea that Lance will play point guard here. He is an attacking two and damn good at it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

CJ really struggled on defense last night. Rondo got where he wanted and killed us most of the game.

Hill definitely spaces the floor with his shot, but I feel like with smart player movement combined with the talent of that trio (LT/LS/PG), you can negate a lot of that disadvantage anyway, especially considering the new mismatches you have with that size on the floor.
    Turner is much more consistently aggressive and like you say the mismatches are huge. If teams don't have 3 good wing defenders on the floor they are in trouble. This is a counterpoint to people playing that small mid range game that has hurt the Pacers. Turner would dominate a 6'2" guard attempting to stop that fade away.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I hope the fact that ET played point guard last night will finally, finally put down the idea that Lance will play point guard here. He is an attacking two and damn good at it.
    Lance is often playing the point right now. In fact, when he's playing with the backups and the team needs a score, they give it to Lance almost every time. Whether we want to label him a PG or not isn't relevant. He's playing that role a lot.

With that said, I like Turner better at the position because he has a tighter handle and a more refined game.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    The difference between Quinn Buckner and Tommy Heinsohn is that Buckner thinks the refs are almost always right while Heinsohn thinks no Celtic has ever committed a foul or missed a shot without being fouled.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk
    I somewhat disagree with Quinn....I've heard on numerous occasions: "You're right, partner, that's a bad call."

But Heinsohn and Stacy for Chicago.....their players could clothesline someone, and they'll come up with an excuse as to why said player has the right to do that, or the opponent instigated it and should be thrown out.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yep, Quinn disagreed with quite a few calls last night, and rightly so.
    "He's too little! He's too little! Hook his @ss he's too little!!" - David West

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

When we are handing out the rings before the season opener next year, it should be Sam Hinkie, not Danny Granger, getting the ceremonial "Edge" ring.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

During the game I also worried about the Pacers lack of aggression all game on the defensive side and wondered if this is something they could turn around before the playoffs... And then they switched it on at the end of the 4th and no more worries for me. I think the Celts hit like one field goal over the last 5 minutes.

I really believe they are purposefully not cranking up the defense in order to stay rested before the playoffs.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geetee For This Useful Post:

One of the biggest myths is that a team needs an outside shooter in order to space the floor. No, you can space the floor just the same with good on/off ball movement who can finish at the rim or hit the midrange shot.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    When we are handing out the rings before the season opener next year, it should be Sam Hinkie, not Danny Granger, getting the ceremonial "Edge" ring.
    Yea, I'm still not sure what Granger did exactly for the Pacers when he was the de facto leader. The only time the Pacers were an above .500 team during that stretch was in 2012, which coincides with the emergence/acquiring of Paul George and David West. Edge was a vital part of numerous great Colts teams and the only season in which he got hurt, the Colts actually got worse at 6-10 for the year, as opposed to better (ah hem Danny Granger). There would be and should be no rings for Mr. Camp Out at the 3 Point Line Yet Can't Hit an Open Jumper Danny Granger.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Yea, I'm still not sure what Granger did exactly for the Pacers when he was the de facto leader. The only time the Pacers were an above .500 team during that stretch was in 2012, which coincides with the emergence/acquiring of Paul George and David West. Edge was a vital part of numerous great Colts teams and the only season in which he got hurt, the Colts actually got worse at 6-10 for the year, as opposed to better (ah hem Danny Granger). There would be and should be no rings for Mr. Camp Out at the 3 Point Line Yet Can't Hit an Open Jumper Danny Granger.
    Nuntius, this right here is why there are arguments on PD. We've already got rid of Danny, no need to kick him while he is down IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorgeHill For This Useful Post:

Whenever croz posts an over the top dissection of Granger I just imagine that little kid posting about Danny in a pissed off rage and it makes me laugh

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    One of the biggest myths is that a team needs an outside shooter in order to space the floor. No, you can space the floor just the same with good on/off ball movement who can finish at the rim or hit the midrange shot.
    Sure but on the flip side you cant disagree that a quality 3 pt shooter will force his defender to shadow him much closer than a lesser shooter, thus opening up the floor. Both long range shooters AND quality ball movement will accomplish it.

The effect of our 4th quarter lineup:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I DIDN'T WATCH A SECOND OF THE GAME BUT **** THIS TEAM THEY ARE DONE ONLY WINNING BY 5 AGAINST THE ****ING CELTICS? GET REAL!!!!! TITLE CONTENDING TEAMS DON'T DO TURNOVERS EVER THEY HAVE NOTHING BEST RECORD IS A FARCE SOJFSFWFJWS;LFSO B ALLS!
    THIS WHOLE SEASON IS FOOLS GOLD! TRADE EVERYBODY!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Yeah I'm still in a state of shock that a team as great as the Pacers was able to pull off such a dramatic mid-season upgrade that has made our bench significantly better overnight. This really could be like the Rasheed Wallace mid-season addition for the Pistons. I think that playing with a guy like Turner will really help Scola get out of his funk. It also won't put so much pressure on Born Ready.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    I somewhat disagree with Quinn....I've heard on numerous occasions: "You're right, partner, that's a bad call."
    I would say I've more often heard Quinn change his mind after the replay and agree with the refs, but then I only see about half the games on FSN (since I'm at the other half )
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

38. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    Sure but on the flip side you cant disagree that a quality 3 pt shooter will force his defender to shadow him much closer than a lesser shooter, thus opening up the floor. Both long range shooters AND quality ball movement will accomplish it.
    I hope Vogel wises up and plays the........

Cope
    Rasual
    Ian
    Turner
    CJ

lineup at some point. CJ and Turner just need to penetrate and dish to the shooters. When Bynum starts playing, it'll be even easier. He'll draw doubles. Just kick out to four guys who can shoot outside of 17 feet. But Vogel is dead-set on playing Lance 40+ minutes a game. UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!