Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pacers / Celtics Post Game Thread - 3/1

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers / Celtics Post Game Thread - 3/1

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? Why do we need someone to be the devil's advocate? Why do we need to constantly argue? Why do we need to constantly seperate ourselves in "Lance camp" / "Turner camp" / "Granger camp" / "X camp"?

Man, I just don't get it.
    Whoa, there man. I think he was merely interjecting a little humor to deflect some of the tension of the discussion.

And, wink-wink, I think he also realizes that V was wrong just as often as he was right.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    It's human instinct to not be happy, and always look for small things to complain about.
    No, I don't think that this is the case. I don't believe that this tendency is human instinct. If it is then apparently I'm not human and I'd like to believe that this is not the case

I don't think its fair to complain about people who don't want to just heap praise upon the team. People want their opinions to be known, which is fine. I guess I don't see the issue with people posting thoughts about a player. The forum was clearly split over Granger, and the people who were happy to see him traded are considered haters, and I don't think that is fair. You don't have to like every player on your roster.

I agree it's unfair to pick and choose who you criticize when players make the same mistakes. However, it happens, and it's usually specific posters who you can choose to ignore if they bother you. I'm sure some people ignore me, but that doesn't really bother me.
    I've said it a lot of times and I'll say it again. Everyone has the right to voice their opinion. Different opinions are natural and I believe that disagreement is good for the board as a whole.

I just don't believe that we're using our disagreements the right way. Instead of discussing about them we end up arguing. There is a difference between discussion and arguing.

About your Granger point now. Some people have proved over time that they dislike Granger, no matter what. Others have proved that they dislike Lance. I don't get why anyone would dislike any current or former Pacer but that's just me. Everyone has the right to like or dislike a certain player. I just don't get why we have to argue about one's personal likes and dislikes. That's the issue here.

This forum will only be truly happy when the Pacers win the championship. I promise no one will be negative when that happens.
    I really don't believe this, my friend. This day will come soon and I'm almost certain that we'll still see someone complain about something.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I DIDN'T WATCH A SECOND OF THE GAME BUT **** THIS TEAM THEY ARE DONE ONLY WINNING BY 5 AGAINST THE ****ING CELTICS? GET REAL!!!!! TITLE CONTENDING TEAMS DON'T DO TURNOVERS EVER THEY HAVE NOTHING BEST RECORD IS A FARCE SOJFSFWFJWS;LFSO B ALLS!

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

No, I don't think that this is the case. I don't believe that this tendency is human instinct. If it is then apparently I'm not human and I'd like to believe that this is not the case

I've said it a lot of times and I'll say it again. Everyone has the right to voice their opinion. Different opinions are natural and I believe that disagreement is good for the board as a whole.

I just don't believe that we're using our disagreements the right way. Instead of discussing about them we end up arguing. There is a difference between discussion and arguing.

About your Granger point now. Some people have proved over time that they dislike Granger, no matter what. Others have proved that they dislike Lance. I don't get why anyone would dislike any current or former Pacer but that's just me. Everyone has the right to like or dislike a certain player. I just don't get why we have to argue about one's personal likes and dislikes. That's the issue here.

I really don't believe this, my friend. This day will come soon and I'm almost certain that we'll still see someone complain about something.
    Agree on all accounts. When people feel they are disrespected, they get confrontational. It escalates from there. I'm sure I'm guilty of it as well.
    Couple phrases that get people going are, "Did you even watch the game?" "I don't think you understand basketball." "You are crazy" Ganging up on people generally brings out hostile emotions as well. (I know I am guilty of this as well)

Calling someone a homer, a pessimist, or any other thing that isn't considered a perfect poster gets people going as well. I do wish conversations were generally more civil.

I really don't think RealGm is all that much better. The over-moderation there helps a little bit I guess, but the General NBA thread gets heated quite consistently. Obviously, you are a mod there. What are your opinions on it?
    @qandrews9428

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I DIDN'T WATCH A SECOND OF THE GAME BUT **** THIS TEAM THEY ARE DONE ONLY WINNING BY 5 AGAINST THE ****ING CELTICS? GET REAL!!!!! TITLE CONTENDING TEAMS DON'T DO TURNOVERS EVER THEY HAVE NOTHING BEST RECORD IS A FARCE SOJFSFWFJWS;LFSO B ALLS!
    Lol.

You didn't realize there was haberno in your salsa?

Or, maybe the Ben-gay crept a little north of your knees?

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Lol.

You didn't realize there was haberno in your salsa?

Or, maybe the Ben-gay crept a little north of your knees?

They warned me about those ****ing ghost chilis...

Nah, I watched the first half. I'm upset I missed the end of the game with The Villain running the point. I love winning. I love mocking people that aren't satisfied with winning even more.

Exclamation Re: Pacers / Celtics Post Game Thread - 3/1

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    I did, but when are we going to turn it up like Miami? When are we gonna get back to blowing out teams in the third? It's like our #1 excuse is "Every team is giving their best.." When are we gonna say "Even your best ain't good enough?"
    While of course I want us to win every single game, AND by double digits, statistically its almost damn near impossible.......As long as we are winning the good majority of our games and hold onto that #1 seed in the East, I would rather we DIDN'T expand all of our energy further risking potential injuries to ANY of our roster...

There are some people who seem to think that just because half of the teams in the NBA that we play against have horrible records, that we should just walk in and claim victory without much resistance...
    That, and comments like "oh they are just a bunch of scrubs" and etc. ... and that they should just lay down and concede victory to the Pacers...

Even the worst players in the bottom half of the NBA are pretty damn good.. Good enough in fact , in at least a few areas of basketball to have made it through H.S., gain a PAID scholarship to play in College.. and THEN to get either drafted into the NBA or signed to a 6 or 7 digit contract to either play or sit on the bench as "injury insurance" ...

I don't care how "elite" or how "bottom of the barrel" a team is in the National Basketball Association , because ANY TEAM can claim victory over ANY other team on any given night...

Like I was saying though, I would rather the Pacers work out their kinks and bad habits NOW, while continuing to strengthen both their team chemistry & individual chemistry/familiarity with one another learning each other's nuances while tightening up their game......... I'd rather they NOT completely wear themselves down the closer we get to the playoffs , trying to get blowout wins on every team..

I mean yea, sure, absolutely... blowout wins are nice for bragging rights and all.............. don't get me wrong.... But as a fan actually watching every game, blowouts are usually REALLY boring games to watch , with very little .... to no excitement for me as a fan viewing them ... Fairly close games where the teams are anywhere within 5-10 points of one another, or neck and neck down to the wire ARE the most stressful YES .... BUT, those are the games , as a fan, that I get the most satisfaction from when we do claim a victory through a hard fought battle...

...... As long as we are winning and closing out every game like we are supposed to, I would also rather they DO have close wins over other teams from time to time... REGARDLESS of what team they are playing... Because IMO , they NEED to be put through those situations where they sometimes have to claw their way back from a deficit , or execute game-winning plays while showing solid decision making at the end of the game in order to put a checkmark in the WIN column ....................... Not only for the team itself, but for Coach Vogel it gains invaluable end of game experience we are gonna absolutely NEED in order to close these playoff games out...

It builds "WINNING-TIME" habits ....
    So that when the NBA PLAYOFFS begin, we can do our best Hawk impersonation, "flip the hat backwards" and flip that switch on to take our game to another level/gear ...

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Agree on all accounts. When people feel they are disrespected, they get confrontational. It escalates from there. I'm sure I'm guilty of it as well.
    Couple phrases that get people going are, "Did you even watch the game?" "I don't think you understand basketball." "You are crazy" Ganging up on people generally brings out hostile emotions as well. (I know I am guilty of this as well)

Calling someone a homer, a pessimist, or any other thing that isn't considered a perfect poster gets people going as well. I do wish conversations were generally more civil.
    I don't see why being called homer is considered an insult. I have no problem with it

I really don't think RealGm is all that much better. The over-moderation there helps a little bit I guess, but the General NBA thread gets heated quite consistently. Obviously, you are a mod there. What are your opinions on it?
    The General NBA board in RealGM attracts every kind of poster. You have some very good posters but you also get plenty of trolls. That's why over-moderation is necessary there. Trolls must be dealt with quickly before they bait regular posters into violating the board rules. PD has the advantage of not having a lot of trolls since we all support the same team. That's why the average quality of a poster here is higher than RealGM's General NBA board. We're not swarmed by trolls that bring the overall quality down like RealGM.

But there's still a problem here. We don't have trolls that incite fighting but yet we still fight among ourselves. That's what I don't get. I mean, I have no issue when a fan of another team argues with me about the Pacers. It's fine, I don't care about what he says enough since I know my team. But when two Pacer fans argue with each other I just don't get it. I guess that I just get confused about it
    Last edited by Nuntius; 03-02-2014 at 01:53 AM.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

But there's still a problem here. We don't have trolls that incite fighting but yet we still fight among ourselves. That's what I don't get. I mean, I have no issue when a fan of another team argues with me about the Pacers. It's fine, I don't care about what he says enough since I know my team. But when two Pacer fans argue with each other I just don't get it. I guess that I just get confused about it
    Ahhh, to me, it's just a pretty simple difference of opinion. People are always going to disagree. If not, there would be no reason for this message board to exist. If everyone agreed on everything, there would be no debate. It's healthy imo.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    I'm tired of this close wins to these scrubs.
    I'm tired of these never ending gripes about close wins against scrubs.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to piggyKing For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Ahhh, to me, it's just a pretty simple difference of opinion. People are always going to disagree. If not, there would be no reason for this message board to exist. If everyone agreed on everything, there would be no debate. It's healthy imo.
    I don't have an issue with people disagreeing, my friend. I said in the past that I think that disagreement is vital to a board and I stand by it. I just don't perceive it as a disagreement, I guess. I perceive it as a fight and that's why I don't get it.

It could just be me, of course. It's possible that I'm just overreacting

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

The three wing lineup that we are able to put out there now, all of whom are primarily shot creators, is what Isiah Thomas envisioned when running the offense that he called the Quick. He simply never had the personnel capable of playing it, yet stubbornly clung to it like JOB later clung to "spacing the floor" using a "stretch 4" and shooting 3's in order to create space for Hibbert to work offensively despite not having the personnel to make it work.

Hopefully we don't devolve to actually truly running the Quick. Our offense is unstructured enough as it is.

I haven't really been able to follow the Pacers in the last couple of weeks. That Celtics game tonight was only the third game I watched this year. However, two things that come to my mind:

1. Listening to Thommy Heinsohn is not fun at all. I understand that the announcers of the home team root for their team and I'm ok with that (Denari and Buckner do it as well), but all to a certain degree, please. Summarizing the game in Heinsohn's eyes: the Celtics are awesome and the Pacers actually should have been fouled out at halftime.

2. As I said, I couldn't really follow the NBA in the last weeks. Technically speaking: will it be possible to keep both Turner and Stephenson without giving up either Hill, George, West or Hibbert?
    Thank you Jeff.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Rajon did his thing, Humphries played inspired (!) defense, and the Celtics' ability to hit jumpers today represented likely their most anomalous game of the season. Opposite from the Bucks game, the Celts had big scoring quarters in the first and third quarters, mostly because of the accuracy of Green, Bass, and Bayless. Good to see the bench put up solid shooting numbers. Neither Sloan nor CJ flourished in their roles tonight. Roy was a force, but he offensive-fouled like a mother****er out there. Btw, Turner copped to some iffy decision making in the Brooke post game interview. Luis' dunk was the balls.

Ian Report: He got screwed out of a block on Humphries (?) in the fourth quarter. He is actually credited for a block in the box score, though I have no idea what it was. He had a lot to deal with considering Rondo's deft penetrating, and he handled himself well. He also made a balletic move to finish a scoop shot on a mostly ill-advised pass from Turner. I almost never dock Ian points for not scoring, but this is the second straight game with no free throw attempts and I think he has to be more available, even if it's creating his own opportunities against Hump and Sully. This was a prototypical Mahinmi outing. 'B'

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post

Ian Report: He got screwed out of a block on Humphries (?) in the fourth quarter. He is actually credited for a block in the box score, though I have no idea what it was.
    I can't remember who it was, but a guard drove baseline and threw up a shot that looked like Ian blocked that went off the side of the backboard and out of bounds. Could have been that play they gave him the block.
    Last edited by King Tuts Tomb; 03-02-2014 at 05:49 AM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Paul George 4-5 from the FT line tonight. He went 56 of 58 for 96% in February. He's getting to that Durant level where it's shocking if he misses a free throw.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

The difference between Quinn Buckner and Tommy Heinsohn is that Buckner thinks the refs are almost always right while Heinsohn thinks no Celtic has ever committed a foul or missed a shot without being fouled.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Around roughly the ASB i was a bit annoyed by eking out wins over poor teams. Now I say just win baby. I mean the Celtics and Bucks these two are just playing way over their heads. If they play like crap and we don't beat them, that's completely different. Turner wasn't perfect, but he was damn good. No offense to DG - deserves great respect for what he did here - but we are much better off right now with ET. Absolutely sensational deal by Bird.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Still am surprised that DG could be turned into Evan Turner. Danny was still in recovery mode and not playing like he may eventually.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 31andonly View Post
    2. As I said, I couldn't really follow the NBA in the last weeks. Technically speaking: will it be possible to keep both Turner and Stephenson without giving up either Hill, George, West or Hibbert?
    Technically, it is possible.....but only if the Pacers go over the LT....and/or BOTH Lance and Turner takes a significant pay cut....both of which are 2 unlikely scenarios.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm wondering if you watched the game tonight. Wondering the last time Rondo had 3 threes. Celtics were pretty good tonight
    And not just threes, but LONG threes. Significantly behind the line.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Don't let your love of Danny Granger cloud your judgement of Turner's play. Quite frankly, if we had Granger and not Turner tonight, we lose that game.
    I love Danny, but I agree. I never wanted to see a PG / Danny / Lance lineup out there, but I was pleasantly surprised with PG / Lance / ET.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Still am surprised that DG could be turned into Evan Turner. Danny was still in recovery mode and not playing like he may eventually.
    I just waned to second this emotion. The coming together of Philly deciding to basically blow their team up and rebuild from the draft, the availability of a Danny Granger as a player or a salary dump and the willingness of Bird and his staff to always be alert to team improvement is amazing. The almost constant degradation of Granger's value to the Pacer's by some posters bothers me a little, but it was the same with J.O., Brad Miller and every other guy who leaves here.
    One more comment if I may. The way Vogel used Turner was a combination of good coaching and good circumstances, IMO. We have a new player whose strength is ball handling and being able to create shots, we played a team we were going to beat, what better time to experiment with Turner at the Point and with differing lineups? Bird and Vogel are slowly bringing the Pacers to a team that doesn't have pigeon holed positions (except Centers) and more to basketball players who can play multiple positions as they are needed. I expect Frank to get the focus back to shut down defense by the end of this month. We are relying on being able to beat some teams right now with our offense.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    I will also say it's refreshing not to see multiple possessions with the second unit end with a shot clock violation or a last second heave from outer space because our guys are too timid to put up shots. Turner may not take the best shot 100% of the time but the guy's not scared to put the ball up. Yes please.
    Yeah, I mostly agree with this. I start to get a little uneasy when he misses a couple in a row, but overall I think it's a good thing so long as he keeps his FG% high. I think at one point he was 6/9 before he started to cool off.

Mood

So my question is: Will see the the ET/LS/PG backcourt again, and if so, how often? I think the answer is 'almost certainly' but it's the how often that I'm not so sure of.

I'll be honest, and I free admit it's very early, but on the surface I prefer ET at that spot to George Hill, and I realize that's going to be an unpopular thing to say, but IMO Hill is no more of a PG than Turner is, but I happen to like Turner's game more than I like Hill's so in an offense that doesn't really ask for a traditional point guard, I'd prefer ET, but that's just me. ET's play (or Hill's for that matter) could change my feelings later.