Thread: NBA asks LeBron James to change color of face mask

Default NBA asks LeBron James to change color of face mask

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...ect-broken-nos

Source: LeBron James seeks appeal

LeBron James' new look is about to become an old one, at least if the NBA gets its way.

James created a buzz by wearing a black carbon-fiber mask to protect his broken nose Thursday in a victory against the New York Knicks. But the league has requested James change to a more traditional clear mask when the Miami Heat host the Orlando Magic on Saturday night.

The NBA has requested that LeBron James wear a clear mask to protect his broken nose.
    "It is our understanding LeBron used the black mask because a clear one he was comfortable with wasn't ready," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said.

James appealed the decision and is still trying to get clearance to wear the black mask because he likes the lightness and fit of it, a source said. He also said he liked the style and how it matched the Heat's black throwback uniforms. It gave him no issues when he put up 31 points on 13-of-19 shooting in the Heat's 108-82 win against the Knicks.

But James is preparing to use a clear mask Saturday, though he still may find a way to personalize it.

The black mask was a huge hit among fans, and James and several teammates posted pictures with it on social media. On Friday, the Heat started selling T-shirts with a masked James on them.

"Only LeBron can make breaking your nose look cool," Heat forward Shane Battier said.

The league's request falls in line with previous policy. Players who have worn black masks in the past have been asked to switch to clear ones.

Last season, the Cleveland Cavaliers' Kyrie Irving wore a black mask to protect a broken bone in his face but was asked to change to a clear mask as soon as one was available. In 2012, Kobe Bryant wore a black mask for a half with a broken nose but switched.

James has a clear mask ready and practiced with it for two days before switching to the black mask just before Thursday's tipoff.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA asks LeBron James to change color of face mask

I guess I don't understand why the black mask is an issue?
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

yeah no kidding, its not like we cant tell its him.

Why no black mask?

Mood

Because once you allow a black one, then painted ones are not far behind and the NBA starts looking like a group of Mexican Luchadors.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not sticking up for Lebron, don't like him, but I see nothing wrong with the black one. NBA is overreaching on this.

It's carbon fiber not just something they just decided to paint black. I bet the carbon fiber one is stronger than the clear ones also.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Maybe because it's a rule the NBA has. Of course, why they think LeBron is subject to the rules the other players must abide by is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe because it's a rule the NBA has. Of course, why they think LeBron is subject to the rules the other players must abide by is beyond me.
    I think we get that but its not so much LeBron as it is why the rule is in place. It shouldn't matter but the NBA has this rule in place to nip in the bud players personalizing these masks and them not getting a cut out of it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I think we get that but its not so much LeBron as it is why the rule is in place. It shouldn't matter but the NBA has this rule in place to nip in the bud players personalizing these masks and them not getting a cut out of it.
    The money is what I suspect is the issue also. I actually like the black mask, and I also like that it made him look a little Darth Vader-esque.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Because once you allow a black one, then painted ones are not far behind and the NBA starts looking like a group of Mexican Luchadors.
    Which would be totally freaking awesome in my opinion. Whatever happened to El Pacero?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    Whatever happened to El Pacero?
    He sadly went back to Mexico to resume his pro wrestling career as Mexico's answer to Andy Kaufman. I saw him DDT a woman on Galavision's wrestling program last weekend.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I like that mask. I want him to think he's a bad boy and beat them with that mask on his face. Then watch him take the mask off and show him bawling...instead of balling. Can't wait until June.

If I remember correctly, Dale Davis had a clear mask that the trainer spray-painted black.

Can anybody confirm?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

LBJ will play terribly in the clear mask to win his appeal and get to wear the black mask the next game.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    If I remember correctly, Dale Davis had a clear mask that the trainer spray-painted black.

Can anybody confirm?
    I am sure Peck could

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    LBJ will play terribly in the clear mask to win his appeal and get to wear the black mask the next game.
    I don't even think he's capable of playing terrible at this point.
    On the Lance bandwagon

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I normally don't care about this sort of thing, but this is LeBron; the face of the league, and Adam Silver; the new commissioner that is trying to make competitive balance, so he's not letting LeBron walk all over him and choose how the hell he looks. It was either this or the NBA allows anyone to wear different color masks and it becomes a clown show out there, people would make rainbow masks and stuff to throw people off.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I normally don't care about this sort of thing, but this is LeBron; the face of the league, and Adam Silver; the new commissioner that is trying to make competitive balance, so he's not letting LeBron walk all over him and choose how the hell he looks. It was either this or the NBA allows anyone to wear different color masks and it becomes a clown show out there, people would make rainbow masks and stuff to throw people off.
    Or they could just require that, like all other accessories, they must match the team's colors. But since the rule was established because they felt that opaque masks give the wearer a competitive advantage, I guess I don't see a real reason to change the rule.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    t was either this or the NBA allows anyone to wear different color masks and it becomes a clown show out there, people would make rainbow masks and stuff to throw people off.
    or like make the mask so that it has eyes and a face on the back of the dude's head, so you can't tell which way he is really looking

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Double D did have one Anthem

Last edited by Ragnar; 03-03-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Tom Lael

Would b pretty sweet if like whole teams rocked black masks. Also anyone selected to the allstar game should have to wear a cape. Luchadores rock, The nba in general should be more like early nineties wwf wrassling. Thats what I would push for if I was the commissioner. D squared looks like some kind of an executioner w that mask

This past summer during the FIBA America's there was a player (Jack Michael Martinez) who had different colored masks while playing.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    or like make the mask so that it has eyes and a face on the back of the dude's head, so you can't tell which way he is really looking
    Or wear like a Michael Myers mask to scare the hell out of the player guarding you haha.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to adamscb For This Useful Post: