Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger Signs with the Clippers

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: Danny Granger Signs with the Clippers

Quote Originally Posted by MnvrChvy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When it comes down to it, I would want Danny guarding Lebron over any other player on this team except for Paul. Lance will do okay because of his strength, but Danny was strong, long, and tenacious. We will miss that in the ECF, IMHO.
    I think I would go with Paul first, then David and then Danny. I think David is good at wearing opponents down with his strength.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    I think I would go with Paul first, then David and then Danny. I think David is good at wearing opponents down with his strength.
    Unless you are talking about someone other than David West, you must be smoking something. David is strong, but he would have no chance to stay in front of Lebron. He just isn't quick enough, nor is he particularly used to guarding SFs.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    ....Some of you make it sound like he just stood around on defense....
    Not at all. It was on offense that he just stood around.

Lance and Danny are the same caliber defender in my mind. Both make mistakes, but for the most part they are solid. Granger was fine on defense for the most part. What killed us was his horrific offense, and how little he moved around.

Granger is gone now though, there is no reason to talk in hypotheticals. I appreciate that he played well on our 11-12 team. He was a good Pacer, but it's clearly time to move on. The person who compared an athlete making 15 million dollars a year to putting your dog down is not a good comparison at all.
    @qandrews9428

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Unless you are talking about someone other than David West, you must be smoking something. David is strong, but he would have no chance to stay in front of Lebron. He just isn't quick enough, nor is he particularly used to guarding SFs.
    I'm not smoking anything, thank you, but I do remember when Lebron had to play PF against us and David really beat him up and wore him down and I could see Lebron wasn't happy playing him, also David does pretty well against Miami normally.
    Last edited by Mourning; 03-01-2014 at 08:05 PM.

I'm not smoking anything, thank you, but I do remember when Lebron had to play PF against us and David really beat him up and wore him down.
    On offense... but what about defense?
    @qandrews9428

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    On offense... but what about defense?
    David suddenly becomes less bulky and strong on D? David is a good defender. Tell me who can totally contain James?

David suddenly becomes less bulky and strong on D? David is a good defender. Tell me who can totally contain James?
    LeBron is also an elite jump shooter. If David comes out and tries to guard LeBron, LeBron will just easily drive past him. It would never work.
    @qandrews9428

JMO, but I think Bird went for this deal for all the reasons he said he did it for. 2 younger, cheaper players, one of which can replace all the things Danny gave us except maybe post defense and with better shooting. The little discussed and maybe not even important is the $4.2 million in salary we still owed DG. He traded 14 million in Cap and a pick that may never play for 10 million. Not a bad week's work, even for the Legend.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

West can't guard LeBron one-on-one. That would be a defensive nightmare. If you re-call, we stuck West on Ray Allen, which actually didn't hurt us that much.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    West can't guard LeBron one-on-one. That would be a defensive nightmare. If you re-call, we stuck West on Ray Allen, which actually didn't hurt us that much.
    and Lebron can guard West because his size is unreal for a SF.
    Smothered Chicken!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    and Lebron can guard West because his size is unreal for a SF.
    Not so sure about that. West is still able to wear him down and score on him in the post.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Not so sure about that. West is still able to wear him down and score on him in the post.
    Yeah, I actually thought LeBron would have been good against West with his size, but I guess West is pretty good at knowing how to beat a defender up, which is what he did to LeBron.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Danny tonight got screwed out of playing! lol

The high-octane Clippers kept on rolling without newly acquired Danny Granger, who will have to wait a little longer to play his first game with them.
    Chris Paul had 21 points and eight assists, Blake Griffin added 20 points before both All-Stars sat out the fourth quarter, and Los Angeles breezed to a 108-76 victory over the New Orleans Pelicans on Saturday night.
    Granger could not play because of a technicality on the team's active list, which is signed by coach Doc Rivers before every game and relayed to the officials. Granger's name was printed by hand by a member of the public relations staff under the heading: "Updated Roster Additions," but the number on the sheet was not circled along with the other active players by the required deadline of 6:30 p.m. local time.
    As a result, referee Bill Spooner ruled Granger ineligible and instructed the nine-year veteran to change back into street clothes. The Clippers didn't need their newest small forward in the wire-to-wire victory, which extended their winning streak to four games and increased their Pacific Division lead to four games over Golden State.
    "That was on me. I didn't even notice it," Rivers said. "My job is to check it, so I'm going to have to pay a silly fine that our team has instituted. I don't know what the amount will be, probably dinner. Fortunately we didn't need him tonight, and that's good.
    "I told Danny I messed up, and he was like: `I'm good, Coach. It kind of gives me another day to kind of get acclimated anyway.' So he wasn't that upset by it - but he was ready to play. I can tell you that. And he'll be ready for the next one."
    Granger signed with Los Angeles on Friday after his contract was bought out by the Philadelphia 76ers, just six days after the 76ers acquired him from Indiana. His Clippers debut will now be Tuesday night at Phoenix.
    "The point I'm at now, coming to this team, whatever role Doc sees fit for me is the role that I would do," Granger said during a pregame press conference before knowing he wouldn't play. "It's the type of system I will probably thrive in. It's the system I have thrived in in the past. All the players want to play that way."
    rest of the article here http://www.nba.com/games/20140301/NO...s=iref:nbahpts

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJVendetta For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

So when Doc says, 'it's my job to check it', he means that Tyronn Lue is getting a spanking.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Ok. So are you saying Danny's healthy? Must be if he can defend well, right?
    Eh, define "healthy." He's clearly not yet all the way back physically. It's similar to after David West's surgery. In his first year back, West wasn't nearly as fully recovered as he was during his second year back. I expect Danny in May to be better than Danny in February, and I expect Danny in October to be better still. But we're competing for a championship right now. Not just in May when the playoffs start; we're in a standings battle right now and need improvement right now.

So when we talk about "right now," I think Danny's difficulty isn't primarily physical. He doesn't have all of his quickness or all of his lift back (Note that this isn't the same statement as "He doesn't have any lift and can't move laterally.") He does wear down easily (because he spent the summer busy at rehab instead of working on conditioning) but I think it's mostly mental. There was this belief by certain folks (I don't remember if you were one of them) that Danny was going to come back chucking and trying to make the team about him. I always thought that was ridiculous.

Danny's always been about the team. And so he when he came back, I think he was so focused on fitting in that he's not standing out. How many times did we see Danny make a great move to put himself in scoring position, only to pass the ball? Even on nights where he's got it going, he doesn't call his own number. Frankly there have been a lot of nights where we needed Danny to be a little more selfish.

At this point in the season, Evan Turner's clearly the superior offensive player. And his defense has been a nice surprise, as well. But we can praise Evan without trashing Danny. I think Danny's offense will improve by the end of the season, but Turner gives us several things that Danny doesn't. He's a more flexible player; I liked that PG / Lance / Evan lineup last night a lot more than I'd like a PG / Lance / Danny one. Second, ET's more of a creator when the offense goes to crap, while Danny's always been a guy that played in the offense. Third, when ET's out with the reserves he clearly sees himself having a permanent green light. I'm not calling him selfish (at least not in a bad way), but he understands that he's on the floor to be a scorer.

And finally, it was obvious to absolutely everyone that Danny wasn't going to be here after this year. Evan Turner is fantastic Lance insurance. Larry's not lying, Evan Turner makes us a better team this year. But if Danny improves like I expect, I don't think it's a big difference come postseason. But when you consider next season, it's a no-brainer.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DJVendetta View Post
    "I told Danny I messed up, and he was like: `I'm good, Coach. It kind of gives me another day to kind of get acclimated anyway.' So he wasn't that upset by it - but he was ready to play. I can tell you that. And he'll be ready for the next one."

"The point I'm at now, coming to this team, whatever role Doc sees fit for me is the role that I would do," Granger said during a pregame press conference before knowing he wouldn't play. "It's the type of system I will probably thrive in. It's the system I have thrived in in the past. All the players want to play that way."
    This is what I'm saying. One of the things I love about Danny is that he's always tried to do what he thinks the coach and the team needs. You don't get merit badges for character, and championships aren't won on sentimentality. But I'll always appreciate Danny because of stuff like this.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    true but Lebron can match up better with West than Melo
    Smothered Chicken!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

I'm not smoking anything, thank you
    you're in the Netherlands--why aren't you?!

28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Simple, the trade wasn't about this season.

Danny obviously isn't as mobile at this point as he was before, but mobile enough. His biggest struggle was lift, and endurance. I'm not convinced that come playoff time that Turner will clearly be a better option.
    The trade was definitely about this season. Bird has said a million different times that the 2014 season is the only thing that is on his mind right now and that he isn't worried about next season at the moment. We made the trade because Turner is a substantially better player than DG right now. The fact that we have the option to keep Turner makes it even more of a no brainier, but make no mistake, there is no way Bird makes that trade if DG is still the better player. Bird wouldn't have done anything if he felt it jeopardized our 2014 chances. This was all about improving our chances this year, and it hasn't taken long for Turner to show that he's a much better player. Next year is just a nice cherry on top.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Doc also says he wants Granger to start....

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Oh, sure Danny "couldn't play because of a technicality on the team's active list." Sounds like his knee is acting up again.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ReginaldWayne For This Useful Post:

Danny's future is going look like Tracy McGrady's last 4 or 5 years. That knee isnt going to get better. His past exploits will let him hang on a few more years.

Quote Originally Posted by sam kaiserblade View Post
    Danny's future is going look like Tracy McGrady's last 4 or 5 years. That knee isnt going to get better. His past exploits will let him hang on a few more years.
    What does "not going to get better" mean in this instance? It's not giving him any trouble right now.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Doc also says he wants Granger to start....
    I thought he would after a few games. IMO Granger as he is now is the best sf on that team and he'll get better as the season moves on. I really think Granger is going to look good in this system and the role he'll have with them. I'm still in observation mode with Turner but it's too early to say who will be the better player between Granger and Turner come May.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post: