Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger Signs with the Clippers

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Danny Granger Signs with the Clippers

Danny was a great defender in his short time back this season, the stats even back it up. I don't see how you can argue that

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Discussions like this really tell who watches and analyzes the game, vs. who looks at stat sheets at night.
    I think this isn't a very bright thing to say, nor is it conducive to good discussion.

This is a Pacers message board. People don't come here because they glimpse stats occasionally. I think it's safe to say everyone here watches(and in turn analyzes) as many games as possible. I watch all 82, most games I re-watch. I think Danny is a fine defender of bench players. What I saw and what the stats say fall in line together. What you saw doesn't have any sort of statistical backing, but you're the one who watches and analyzed the games and the bookworms didn't watch a minute? C'mon man...

3. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    Despite whatever anti-danny calendar this thread is already infected with, DG33 is twice the defender Lance is and he has shown that very recently.
    The honeymoon with ET is on with lance atm, wait till it is over, I am fearing Ron Ron 2 in the ECF if we get there.
    It's clear you dislike Lance, and are a big fan of Danny. Saying Danny is twice the defender Lance is is just blatantly wrong.
    @qandrews9428

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

It's a bit tough to imagine that we traded for Turner because of his defense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Danny playing tonight?

When it comes down to it, I would want Danny guarding Lebron over any other player on this team except for Paul. Lance will do okay because of his strength, but Danny was strong, long, and tenacious. We will miss that in the ECF, IMHO.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm so happy for him. I'll be getting a jersey, just because.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DJVendetta For This Useful Post:

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

Is he playing tonight?

NBA.com assumes he will make his debut tonight

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJVendetta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Danny was a great defender in his short time back this season, the stats even back it up. I don't see how you can argue that
    It's called biased opinions

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    I think this isn't a very bright thing to say, nor is it conducive to good discussion.

This is a Pacers message board. People don't come here because they glimpse stats occasionally. I think it's safe to say everyone here watches(and in turn analyzes) as many games as possible. I watch all 82, most games I re-watch. I think Danny is a fine defender of bench players. What I saw and what the stats say fall in line together. What you saw doesn't have any sort of statistical backing, but you're the one who watches and analyzed the games and the bookworms didn't watch a minute? C'mon man...
    I logged in to like this.

Personally, I think some people decided Danny was a bad defender during the Obrien years, and no amount of visual or statistical evidence is going to change that perspective. One can "watch the games" and see nothing except exactly what they want to see, as long as it backs up their preconceived notion.

My eyes confirmed exactly what the stats said, he looked solid on defense, but couldn't get his shot together to be enough of an offensive factor. I get really sick of the "reputation narrative" stubbornness about Danny's defense.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 03-01-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Mood

Defense is a very nuanced thing. Turner is probably a better overall defensive player if only because he's 5 years younger and doesn't have almost 2 years of rust due to chronic knee problems. That being said Granger has size over both Turner and Lance. I doubt either of them could do what he did to Blake a couple of weeks ago. Just too little. But that doesn't mean I didn't see Turner smother OJ's chicken last game. It also doesn't mean I didn't see ET get worked by OJ when he over helped or got caught ball watching. Same issues Lance will lapse into for some stretches. Danny always seemed to be crisp on his rotations (off the top of my head), but I think that speaks more to veteran acumen.

From what I've heard about Turner, mostly hearsay, was that he wasn't motivated to play defense. Not that he couldn't. And on this team you can't not be motivated to defend or you won't see the floor.
    Last edited by Mr.Hinds; 03-01-2014 at 03:28 PM.
    "There is a time to play and a time to win. It is what you do during winning time that differentiates the average players from stars."

~Ahmad Rashad~

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post

Exactly. If that makes me unpopular I don't care. You can talk about what his opponents shoot with Dany on them all you want, but when Roy and Ian have to constantly come off their man because Danny can't move his feet that breaks the defense down. It is painfully obvious to anyone who watches the game. If you want to defend Danny's ability to play defense then fine, be my guest. I am not going to lose sleep over it. People who watch the game see how Danny struggles at this end of the court. Look, I really like Danny, but he was a big reason the second unit was so ineffective. His lack of defense played as big of a role as his poor shooting.
    Last edited by joew8302; 03-01-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: grammar

21. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    It's clear you dislike Lance, and are a big fan of Danny. Saying Danny is twice the defender Lance is is just blatantly wrong.
    Maybe Danny is 1.75 times the defender that Lance is but Able is right he is a better defender.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Exactly. If that makes me unpopular I don't care. You can talk about what his opponents shoot with Dany on them all you want, but when Roy and Ian have to constantly come off their man because Danny can't move his feet that breaks the defense down. It is painfully obvious to anyone who watches the game. If you want to defend Danny's ability to play defense then fine, be my guess. I am not going to lose sleep over it. People who watch the game see how Danny struggles at this end of the court. Look, I really like Danny, but he was a big reason the second unit was so ineffective. His lack of defense played as big of a role as his poor shooting.
    This is where you're just wrong. I watch games, not all 82 due to my job but I haven't missed more than 6 this year and I'm telling what I see is a very good defender. Roy nor Ian had to cover Danny's butt nearly as much as they do Lance. Able watches games, so does Ace and everyone else on here. Opinions may vary but to say Danny is a poor defender is just wrong. Danny wasn't the player he was in 2011 but he was effective and should continue to become more effective as the next year passes, enough that Doc Rivers wanted him and will find plenty of playing time for him. There is nothing to be gained by hating on Danny at this point anyway, he's gone and if you never liked him just let it go.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

OK. I have a few questions.

Turner was acquired because Larry Bird thinks he's a better player. Can we agree on that? If not, why does Larry do that idiotic thing in the middle of a run for a ring?

Next question.

If so, is it Turner's offense? Is that why he was brought to Indy? If so, consider this: If Granger is really able physically to play the game that he's a really good wing defender right now (which I think is ludicrous), why would anyone think he's not better than Turner? Danny is a far better shooter and if he was ACTUALLY healthy he would almost certainly turn around his shooting woes. He's only had 2 months folks. He's got another 2 or 3 more months before we meet Miami. That's normally enough time to get your legs back and then some. Why wouldn't you keep a perimeter threat like that??? A guy who, if he really is a very good defender...which Turner is supposedly not that good...would almost certainly be the better overall player by some distance.

...the only explanation is that people think Danny's physically fine but can't shoot any more. What is it folks?

Sports Logo

And it's equally clear that some other posters dislike Danny and are a big fan of Lance. Saying Danny was bad defensively is blatantly wrong as well.

And do you know what else is clear, my friend? Some other posters are simply tired of people who take every opportunity to disparage any current or former Pacer. Why can't we support our team like brethren instead of fighting amongst ourselves?

I'm honestly tired of this pathetic Lance vs Danny / Lance vs Turner / PG vs Danny / anyone vs anyone narrative.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Danny wasn't guarding the better shooters. He was effective guarding the post and playing smart help defense. He knows how to play the game. But he did NOT have the foot speed to guard the better wings.
    Danny did fine guarding wings. I've commented on it repeatedly, and you mostly didn't really until after he was traded. The one place where I'd concede that he struggled was running through multiple screens, which he's never really been great at. But I don't think I ever saw a guy beat him straight up.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Danny did fine guarding wings. I've commented on it repeatedly, and you mostly didn't really until after he was traded. The one place where I'd concede that he struggled was running through multiple screens, which he's never really been great at. But I don't think I ever saw a guy beat him straight up.
    Ok. So are you saying Danny's healthy? Must be if he can defend well, right?

If he's healthy, why would he not be a much better option with that perimeter game. He's a better offensive player, assuming he's healthy of course, than Evan Turner.

Why trade a guy like that Anthem? Why not wait for his shot to return given how valuable it would be to this team? You can see he has the free throws down. Clearly it's his legs, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    And it's equally clear that some other posters dislike Danny and are a big fan of Lance. Saying Danny was bad defensively is blatantly wrong as well.

And do you know what else is clear, my friend? Some other posters are simply tired of people who take every opportunity to disparage any current or former Pacer. Why can't we support our team like brethren instead of fighting amongst ourselves?

I'm honestly tired of this pathetic Lance vs Danny / Lance vs Turner / PG vs Danny / anyone vs anyone narrative.
    I agree for the most part, but its a forum, people are aloud to voice their opinions.
    @qandrews9428

Ok. So are you saying Danny's healthy? Must be if he can defend well, right?

If he's healthy, why would he not be a much better option with that perimeter game. He's a better offensive player, assuming he's healthy of course, than Evan Turner.

Why trade a guy like that Anthem? Why not wait for his shot to return given how valuable it would be to this team? You can see he has the free throws down. Clearly it's his legs, right?
    Simple, the trade wasn't about this season.

Danny obviously isn't as mobile at this point as he was before, but mobile enough. His biggest struggle was lift, and endurance. I'm not convinced that come playoff time that Turner will clearly be a better option.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Simple, the trade wasn't about this season.

Danny obviously isn't as mobile at this point as he was before, but mobile enough. His biggest struggle was lift, and endurance. I'm not convinced that come playoff time that Turner will clearly be a better option.
    I really can't make this any clearer:

"My goal is to put the best team I possibly can out there right now," Bird said.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2014/02/21/larry-bird-on-evan-turner-danny-granger-trade/5689083/

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I agree for the most part, but its a forum, people are aloud to voice their opinions.
    That's a given, my friend. They are allowed to voice their opinions and the same goes for me. And my opinion is that I'm tired of all the infighting and the disrespect that is shown towards current and former Pacers. Just my opinion.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Danny was traded for Turner because Turner is a better player. Simple as that. Yes, Danny is better on defense than Turner, but thats not what we need off the bench. We need offense. And we need a guy that can handle the ball well.

Danny's shot not falling right now has nothing to do with not being healthy. It has to do with playing very little basketball in the past two years. If Danny wasn't healthy he wouldn't have ever played 30+ mpg, but he did. He didn't miss one game after returning. He passed two new teams physicals in the last week. And guess what, he's probably gonna be a pretty good player for the Clippers.

And this doesn't even factor in Turner as insurance to Lance leaving in FA.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

I really can't make this any clearer:

"My goal is to put the best team I possibly can out there right now," Bird said.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2014/02/21/larry-bird-on-evan-turner-danny-granger-trade/5689083/
    Bird may think Turner is just as good as Granger can be this season, he wouldn't have done it if he didn't think that, it is just kind of obvious. I am betting, though, if Bird didn't think Turner was a better plan B to Lance's plan A the trade doesn't happen.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post: