Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tougher Road to Finals: Pacers or Thunder

Default Tougher Road to Finals: Pacers or Thunder

Sounds dumb, right? West is way better than the East. But would you rather be the favorite and have to play lets say the Suns, Clippers, and Spurs and have a very tough road. Or is it easier to have to go through a fresh Miami in the ECF and be the under dogs after series against weaker teams like Atlanta and Chicago? In my opinion it is very close. I would take our route probably given the opportunity, but I believe it is a tough one to answer.

Thought it'd be fun to ask the board what they thought.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tougher Road to Finals: Pacers or Thunder

I'm going to switch out the Suns for the Grizzlies, and I'm going to say either way that whoever comes out of the West is going to have traversed a tougher path.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Thunder, Spurs, Clippers, or Rockets made the Finals. In the East, anyone outside of Miami or Indiana making the Finals is incomprehensible barring catastrophic injuries to both teams.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

The Thunder and they will be better for it being battle tested.

Pacers. Have to go through NBA's best team, best player, and defending champions
    David "And One" West

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

OKC no doubt. Every series could go to 6 or 7 games.

The pacers should get through the first two series fairly easily (5 game series, MAYBE 6 if a team gets hot from 3).

Yes we have to go through the team with the best player, who are also the defending champs. But we are also playing a team that's looking to win it's 3rd finals in a row, and will be looking to go to their fourth finals appearance in a row. If there were EVER a time to beat these guys, it would be THIS season.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I hope the Pacers don't take the first two rounds for granted, we could be facing a team that suddenly clicks or is clicking rolling into the playoffs and if they play down to them they could be in trouble. I still expect them to win but don't want it to turn into a 7 game series.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

I am going to throw out random opinionated percentages here:

Pacers
    95% chance of winning 1st Round Series
    90% in Second Round
    50% in ECF

Thunder
    90% in First
    70% in 2nd
    65% in WCF

This would give us a 42.75% chance to make the finals, and give OKC a 40.95% chance. Obviously, these were just random opinionated percentages, but helps put it in perspective anyways.

It's more difficult for the Thunder to reach the conference finals, but because Miami is in our way to the Finals, it's more difficult for us to reach the NBA Finals. I know there's more opportunities for the Thunder to fall, but none of those matchups is like facing Miami, so I'd rather have their road than ours.

Of course, they could ultimately have the most difficult road to the NBA Championship if Miami is in the Finals.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds dumb, right?
    Nope. It's a good question, actually.

You could phrase it this way: Would you be more surprised if the Thunder or the Pacers make the Finals? Objectively I would say the Pacers, only because it's so hard for me to imagine anyone but OKC making it out West (despite their current mini slump).

Pacers vs Miami is more of a coin flip for me. No one in the West will be a coin-flip matchup with the Thunder, as long as they are on track and healthy.

I don't understand why people think the Thunder are so invincible. They are good, but certainly beatable.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't understand why people think the Thunder are so invincible. They are good, but certainly beatable.
    I think it's mainly due to the fact that the one game the Pacers played against them, they looked like a SuperTeam while the Pacers looked like the worst team in the NBA. A lot of people here just watch the Pacers, so they don't generally see all the other performances from these teams.
    @qandrews9428

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kevin Durant.

Also as good as the West is, I have a hard time putting those teams in the Miami, Indiana, OKC elite group. Even then Spurs this year aren't the same. Their record against the best teams is concerning. Clippers are interesting to me. Still have a lot to prove, but they have a coach who has post season success. No doubt they are talented. Maybe Doc is enough to get them further.

OKC just seem like the #1 team in the west and I don't think Kevin Durant will be denied a trip to the finals this season.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I say the Thunder or whoever comes out on Top on the West.

Overall, I give the edge to whoever comes out on the West will have a tougher route cuz the majority of the Western Conference Teams are way better than those in the East........but to PacerGeek's point and to quote a very wise man:

The West may have a tougher journey to get to the NBA Finals.....but none of them have to face the Best Team in the NBA AND beat them before getting to the NBA Finals. Whoever comes out in the West won't be doing that.....arguably...even if it comes down to some 2 Team combination of the Spurs/OKC/Clippers/Portland in the WCF....none of those Teams are considered better than the Heat.

The Pacers basically have to face the top 2 Teams in the NBA before winning the title.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-28-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

They match up with us very well. If there is one team I don't want the Pacers to play in the finals, it is them.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

I actually think the Clippers will get to the finals, Redick will return and adding Granger and Davis were good moves and Blake Griffin has had a very good year
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 02-28-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Banned
    Mood

I think brownjake43 has the right idea. There's no question that the Eastern Conference's road to the Finals features the biggest obstacle -- the Miami Heat -- but the multiple tough opponents in the West probably makes that road slightly tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    They match up with us very well. If there is one team I don't want the Pacers to play in the finals, it is them.
    I agree, and have said as much, but I'm not ready to peg them into the Finals as a shoo-in.

Don't underestimate the Spurs. More so than any other team they rest their players in the regular season. Until Duncan, Parker, or Ginobli are gone I'm not going to count them out.

Mood

My pick to come out of the west is the Rockets.

IF' we get to the finals and if we face the Thunder, I trust Frank to design a way to beat them. We probably can't stop Durant, but playing against him won't be so different from having to beat the Heat with LeBron doing his thang.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Don't underestimate the Spurs. More so than any other team they rest their players in the regular season. Until Duncan, Parker, or Ginobli are gone I'm not going to count them out.
    I dont know, this year seems different. There is not a lot of resting players to rest them, but rather because of injuries. And they have been horrific against the top teams, something I dont remember from previous seasons. They are still a good team and will be playing late into the season, but I don't think they are what they were last year.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

The Bulls scare the hell out of me in round 2. They are rounding into shape and match up well against us.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    The Bulls scare the hell out of me in round 2. They are rounding into shape and match up well against us.
    They do have a good defense, but they are at the bottom of the league in scoring. I'll take my chances again the Bulls considering it would be a match-up of the worst offense team vs. best defensive team. I see the Bulls being a threat to teams that don't play defense, but neither Indiana or Miami fits into that category. In the West, they might be able to pull an upset.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

NOTE - I grabbed the initial post that I quoted from cdash from the Pacers/Bucks Post Game thread since I thought that it would be more relevant here.

Also, for as "bad" as we have been playing and how much complaining that goes on around here about not blowing teams out, we still have the best scoring differential in the NBA at 8.0. Second best? OKC at 6.3. Miami and the Clippers are tied for third at 6.1.
    I was bored...so I decided to break the point differential down to reflect the Top 4 Teams in both Conferences against Teams that are over .500 AND against the Top 8 Teams in both Conferences. This way, I can eliminate how crappy Eastern Conference Teams and Lottery Teams would sku the overall Points differential.

NOTE - I had to manually pull and calculate all of the Stats from http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/home ( a VERY useful Stats Website )

From the Eastern Conference

Indiana
    Overall : 44(W)-13(L) - 99.2 ppg Scored / 91.1 ppg Allowed : 8.1(+) PPG Differential
    Against ALL .500 Teams : 13(W)-8(L) - 96.9 ppg Scored / 91.1 ppg Allowed : 5.8(+) PPG Differential
    Against East Top 8 : 14(W)-4(L) - 94.6 ppg Scored / 87.8 ppg Allowed : 6.8(+) PPG Differential
    Against West Top 8 : 6(W)-5(L) - 101.7 ppg Scored / 101.0 ppg Allowed : .7(+) PPG Differential

Miami
    Overall : 41(W)-14(L) - 104.2 ppg Scored / 98.1 ppg Allowed : 6.1(+) PPG Differential
    Against ALL .500 Teams : 17(W)-5(L) - 102.9 ppg Scored / 99.5 ppg Allowed : 3.4(+) PPG Differential
    Against East Top 8 : 12(W)-6(L) - 99.9 ppg Scored / 97.5 ppg Allowed : 2.4(+) PPG Differential
    Against West Top 8 : 10(W)-2(L) - 108.2 ppg Scored / 103.5 ppg Allowed : 4.7(+) PPG Differential

Toronto
    Overall : 32(W)-26(L) - 100.1 ppg Scored / 97.1 ppg Allowed : 3.0(+) PPG Differential
    Against ALL .500 Teams : 10(W)-17(L) - 98.9 ppg Scored / 100.2 ppg Allowed : (-)1.3 PPG Differential
    Against East Top 8 : 9(W)-13(L) - 95.6 ppg Scored / 94.1 ppg Allowed : 1.5(+) PPG Differential
    Against West Top 8 : 3(W)-9(L) - 104.0 ppg Scored / 109.6 ppg Allowed : (-)5.6 PPG Differential

Chicago
    Overall : 31(W)-26(L) - 92.9 ppg Scored / 92.3 ppg Allowed : .6(+) PPG Differential
    Against ALL .500 Teams : 9(W)-14(L) - 92.0 ppg Scored / 96.7 ppg Allowed : (-)4.7 PPG Differential
    Against East Top 8 : 12(W)-7(L) - 92.7 ppg Scored / 90.7 ppg Allowed : 2.0(+) PPG Differential
    Against West Top 8 : 4(W)-7(L) - 93.0 ppg Scored / 100.2 ppg Allowed : (-)7.2 PPG Differential

From the Western Conference

OKC
    Overall : 43(W)-15(L) - 104.8 ppg Scored / 98.4 ppg Allowed : 6.4(+) PPG Differential
    Against ALL .500 Teams : 18(W)-9(L) - 104.5 ppg Scored / 99.9 ppg Allowed : 4.6(+) PPG Differential
    Against East Top 8 : 8(W)-4(L) - 101.4 ppg Scored / 97.3 ppg Allowed : 4.1(+) PPG Differential
    Against West Top 8 : 12(W)-5(L) - 107.6 ppg Scored / 102.2 ppg Allowed : 5.4(+) PPG Differential

San Antonio
    Overall : 41(W)-16(L) - 104.0 ppg Scored / 98.1 ppg Allowed : 4.3(+) PPG Differential
    Against ALL .500 Teams : 16(W)-13(L) - 102.4 ppg Scored / 102.2 ppg Allowed : .2(+) PPG Differential
    Against East Top 8 : 8(W)-4(L) - 103.8 ppg Scored / 99.4 ppg Allowed : 4.4(+) PPG Differential
    Against West Top 8 : 9(W)-10(L) - 101.3 ppg Scored / 103.0 ppg Allowed : (-)1.7 PPG Differential

Portland
    Overall : 40(W)-18(L) - 107.9 ppg Scored / 103.0 ppg Allowed : 4.9(+) PPG Differential
    Against ALL .500 Teams : 13(W)-14(L) - 104.9 ppg Scored / 106.2 ppg Allowed : (-)1.3 PPG Differential
    Against East Top 8 : 7(W)-3(L) - 110.4 ppg Scored / 101.8 ppg Allowed : 8.6(+) PPG Differential
    Against West Top 8 : 9(W)-10(L) - 105.9 ppg Scored / 107.0 ppg Allowed : (-)1.1 PPG Differential

LA Clippers
    Overall : 40(W)-20(L) - 107.2 ppg Scored / 101.2 ppg Allowed : 5.0(+) PPG Differential
    Against ALL .500 Teams : 17(W)-13(L) - 109.1 ppg Scored / 106.0 ppg Allowed : 3.1(+) PPG Differential
    Against East Top 8 : 8(W)-7(L) - 106.9 ppg Scored / 101.4 ppg Allowed : 5.4(+) PPG Differential
    Against West Top 8 : 10(W)-7(L) - 110.2 ppg Scored / 109.5 ppg Allowed : 0.7(+) PPG Differential

NOTE - keep in mind.....the "Against the East Top 8" Teams...NOT ALL of the Top 8 Teams have a record over .500....while ALL of the Western Conference Top 8 Teams are over .500.

From the Eastern Conference

Best Differential "Overall" : Indiana with a 8.1(+) PPG Differential
    Best Differential Against "ALL .500 Teams in the NBA" : Indiana with a 5.8(+) PPG Differential
    Best Differential Against the "Top 8 East Teams" : Indiana with a 6.8(+) PPG Differential
    Best Differential Against the "Top 8 West Teams" : Miami with a 4.7(+) PPG Differential

From the Western Conference

Best Differential "Overall" : OKC with a 6.4(+) PPG Differential
    Best Differential Against "ALL .500 Teams" : OKC with a 4.6(+) PPG Differential
    Best Differential Against the "Top 8 East Teams" : Portland with a 8.6(+) PPG Differential
    Best Differential Against the "Top 8 West Teams" : OKC with a 5.4(+) PPG Differential

Entire NBA

Best Differential "Overall" : Indiana with a 8.1(+) PPG Differential
    Best Differential Against "ALL .500 Teams" : Indiana with a 5.8(+) PPG Differential
    Best Differential Against the "Top 8 East Teams" : Portland with a 8.6(+) PPG Differential
    Best Differential Against the "Top 8 West Teams" : OKC with a 5.4(+) PPG Differential

A few observations:

- I think this tells me that the Pacers and Thunder are more than capable of winning their own Conference....assuming that they "fire on all cylinders".

- For the Heat...they aren't "firing on all cylinders" as Wade has missed 14 games and thus haven't been playing at 100%. Yes, all Teams have injuries...they just have to deal with it....but I don't suspect that Wade will be missing any of the key Playoff games ( remember, no B2B and there is at least 1 to 2 days of rest in between each games ). I don't think that Wade would necessarily put the Heat over the Pacers....but I really think that it will be close.

- As for the Thunder.....I think that they can beat ALL of the Western Conference Teams....but really think that they will ( as this thread suggests ) have a much tougher road to travel just to get to the NBA Finals.

- Record wise...the Spurs are better than the Blazers and Clippers....but by the end of the season...I think that they will jostle for seeding in the West til the very end.

- Obviously for the East....you can see the chasm between the rest of the East and the Pacers/Heat.

I know that this is all based off of my opinion.....but in the end....I guess anyone can make their own interpretation of what these #s mean ( cuz you can twist #s to fit your own narrative ).
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-28-2014 at 08:47 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

I'd rather be in the Pacers shoes, just because 1-8 in the Western Conference are all so good