Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colts express an interest in Eric Decker

Default Colts express an interest in Eric Decker

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-eric-decker/

Colts could be an interesting fit for Eric Decker

Soon-to-be free agent wide receiver Eric Decker would love to stay in Denver with Peyton Manning, but knows it’s time to take care of his family (i.e. get paid).

One potential landing spot could check off both boxes, or at least as approximately as possible.

According to Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 in Denver, the Colts could emerge as a possibility for the veteran wideout, who would “love to roll with Andrew Luck.”

If you’re going to leave Manning, Luck isn’t the worst fallback position.

And the Colts proved beyond a shadow of a doubt last year how much they need an alpha male wideout, as they weren’t the same team after Reggie Wayne’s injury.

Pairing a savvy player like Decker with the emerging T.Y. Hilton is an intriguing mix, and the Colts are still in the period when they can spend money before they have to spend it on a quarterback.

That might make the time right for them to make a move for Decker, if they think he can lift them over the top.

Default Re: Colts express an interest in Eric Decker

Totally on board with this. I still feel we need a taller, big receiver, but maybe with Allen and Fleener it's not as important.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wayne, Decker and Hilton would be a helluva receiving core for Luck. I'd pursue him big time.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Decker is good - but he's not a #1 guy. He's going to be looking for that kind of $$$ though.

Tread lightly.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Mood

It worked out pretty well the last time we signed a wide receiver that was married to a famous entertainer...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It worked out pretty well the last time we signed a wide receiver that was married to a famous entertainer...

So he's going to flub an onside kick in the Super Bowl too? No thanks even if it would be an accomplishment to get to the SB.

I do think he's a better WR in comparison but I rather the Colts spend $$$ on a defense and O-Line.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

terribly overrated

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    terribly overrated
    He's solid and worth pursuing, but I agree. Plus he allegedly wants 10+ mil a year which is insane considering he'd be the 3rd best WR on our roster assuming Reggie can regain his form.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

It would be an upgrade, but it would make the team very imbalanced IMO. If you rank the team's position groups right now, WR would have to be one of the stronger ones based on both current production and potential. Brazill and Rogers are two of the most interesting depth players on the roster right now for example. Signing Decker leaves essentially no room for either of them on the field. Then when you add in that TE and RB are both in decent shape as well, the pass catching options for Luck are deeper than other areas already.

That WR core could fall apart and be well below average (Wayne isn't back to very healthy, the young guys other than Hilton disappoint) but I think there's enough needs on the team that you have to take the chance that it won't. The money can be spent more efficiently elsewhere, and that doesn't even get into the question if Decker is worth the type of contract he will receive.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Pass with complete and utter ease.

I thought grigs said he was going be more prudent in FA this is the exact opposite of that.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Mood

Don't really want. I mean if we can get him for 6-8 million then sure, but with the likely 10 mil+ price tag I'm not sure about it. Plus who knows how much of his production is by having Peyton throw to him and being in that offense. I'd much rather draft a receiver or try to sign Maclin for a one year deal and improve the O Line and D.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

Living in MN I have soft spot for Decker but no. It would be a complete overeach & overpay.

Decker needs to play off of other superior threats to be as productive as he has been the last two years. Think Stokely W/Wayne & Harrison in 2004 or Alvin Harper with the Cowboys in the 90's.

Also while having good size he is not a great goal line target nor does he compete for the ball all that well with cornerbacks who play physical with him.

Decker has 2nd WR who gets paid as a 1st who never pans out written all over him. I think he would be a nice 2nd WR on our team if paid like it, but to give him 1st WR money is a bit crazy.

We do need to address the WR position though. From what everyone is saying this is a really deep drop for WR and WRs who are graded out as first round picks will be there in the second. I am of the mind you always take BPA unless it is a QB. If Grigs is sitting there in the second and the best player on our board is a WR then you take him and never look back.

I do not trust Rogers or Brazil at all. Whalen is a solid 4th WR who can step in and be a solid producer, but we need someone who is ready to step up and be the man along side Hilton. We have no clue what we are going to get from Wayne. He could return to form for a few years, but he could come back and be a shell of himself.

Rogers showed flashes, but also times showed why he was cut out there. He has the tools, but his is inconsistent and who knows if his head has finally got put on straight.

Brazil is the same and is really one drug test failure from being gone for half a season.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't mind him as a receiver, but his price tag is going to be irresponsible for us to take on.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I don't think the Colts will really take Decker I could see them going for Maclin though given Grigson's Eagles ties.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I don't think the Colts will really take Decker I could see them going for Maclin though given Grigson's Eagles ties.
    I'd like a guy like Doug Baldwin but pretty sure he's going to be restricted so it'd cost a pick

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I'd like a guy like Doug Baldwin but pretty sure he's going to be restricted so it'd cost a pick
    What's wrong with Golden Tate?
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When weighed against all the needs this team has, WR is extremely far down the list. In fact I would say it is second to last, only to QB. Hilton, Brazill, and Whalen are going into their third season, traditionally the breakout season for WRs. Hilton has already shown the potential to be a Pro-Bowl caliber WR, and he is in the top 3 in 100 yard games through the first two seasons of a WRs career. He might not be Harrison or Wayne good, but I certainly expect him to be better than Decker. Brazill isn't as proven, but from what I saw he looks like a WR who should have a solid career as a number 2. Whalen seems to be a solid slot receiver also. Then hopefully Wayne comes back, and is able to at least be a good possession receiver. To me that is a pretty solid group, that has the potentially to be one of the best in the league. That is even before you get to the potential that Rogers has, but he is the least proven of all of them. The only one I would even consider spending a little money to replace is Whalen.

Spend that money on OL, DL, and MLB not WR.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

I don't want to foolishly break the bank on this guy, but I'd love to add him if the market makes him come down to reality a bit with his demands. I'm not near as sold on our receiving unit as some of you. Hilton is a stud, no doubt about that, but defenses were able to successfully take him out for multiple games last year after Reggie went down. It wasn't until the end of the year that he really got it together consistently. Fleener was very solid last year and Allen should return next year to form a nasty 2TE duo, so I have no complaints there. Brazil and Rodgers showed flashes, but I'm still cautious with them. Wayne is a legend and will always be my favorite, but he will turn 36 during the season and is coming off of the ACL injury. Even if he comes back for a solid season, there is no question that he is in the twilight of his career and we have to prepare for the future without him.

Decker is very solid and I think way too many people write him off just because he balls with Peyt. The guy managed 8 touchdowns with that Orton/Tebow duo in 2011. He is an endzone hawk. I just don't want to watch another season where we go through a dry spell because we are thin in the playmaking positions. Again, I understand that this team has multiple needs, which is why I wouldn't foolishly blow the bank on Deck, but if the price is reasonable it would be a nice upgrade.

Lots of players put a high number as far as their asking range for salary eventually they do come down to Earth but he's not going to lowball himself either.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Lots of players put a high number as far as their asking range for salary eventually they do come down to Earth but he's not going to lowball himself either.
    I agree, he's not going to lowball himself, but I think that the market will definitely force him down a bit. I just think that way too many people write him off because of Manning, which hardly makes him the first Manning WR to be underrated. This guy had 8 touchdowns the year before Manning. I watched almost every Denver game last year and he is a very solid receiver who will continue to put up solid stats for a while regardless of who he is with. Decker and Hilton would be a great duo for Luck to grow up with. Add that to the 2 TE's, hope that one of Rodgers/Brazil works out, and you have a great foundation (until you have to start paying Luck and some of these guys.)

I do wonder if the Colts are really looking for a WR as a top priority though I mean they should've thought of a replacement for Reggie a couple years ago but we get lulled into a false sense of security here when he never missed a game up until this point(gee this sounds really familiar....)

But we have a soon to be 36 year old WR who's coming of a torn ACL and meniscus. He is not going to be the same player he once was. I hope that it doesn't mean we've seen the last of Wayne. Marvin had a similar injury against the Broncos at home and that pretty much was the end for him sure he played after that but he wasn't the same.

Excellent!