Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA now sending teams blown call reports on referees

Default NBA now sending teams blown call reports on referees

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...s-on-referees/

NBA now sending teams blown call reports on referees

It can feel like every fifth word out of new NBA Commissioner Adam Silver’s mouth is “transparency.”

However, he is not just talk. He is walking the walk.

Mark Cuban has been pushing for the league to provide more transparency to teams on officials since he bought the Mavericks in 2000 and now he’s getting it — bi-weekly reports on blown calls. That’s what Cuban told Howard Beck of Bleacher Report.

“I think he’s taken some great steps on the officiating,” Cuban said. “There’s been more changes in 15 days, or whatever it is, than I saw in 14 years.”

Cuban then divulged the most significant of those changes: The league is now sending its teams regular reports on blown calls by the referees. It’s one of the first steps in Silver’s push for greater transparency….

“So I like what he’s doing there,” Cuban said.

Beck notes these reports are not new — the NBA tracks and grades its referees (and yes, even fines them at times) — but they had been in the hands of a few at the league office before and that was it. Now teams are getting those reports in their inbox. How, or even if, that changes officiating around the league remains to be seen.

The big difference between Silver and David Stern is not broad picture concepts but rather style — Silver is more of a consensus builder, a believer in the free flow of information and ideas. Stern was much more the dictator, and like all dictators he wanted to control the flow of information.

That doesn’t mean sweeping changes in the product or even how things are done, but it does mean more discussion about changes. That’s a good thing.

Default Re: NBA now sending teams blown call reports on referees

I hope this means the worst refs will be busted down to only doing pre-season games or the ALL-STAR game. Where decent officiating means little to nothing.

Now we just have to start reducing the blown calls and holding refs accountable.

This is a good thing.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hmm, seems like an awesome action... starting to like this guy (except for the stupid sleeved jerseys and ads)
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now we just have to start reducing the blown calls and holding refs accountable.
    It's more motivating when EVERYONE gets the reports on you than when just a few people do and you can keep claiming to be doing just fine.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This sounds so much like a The Onion or Sportspickle article. But good for Commish Silver.

Ahem, paging BillS....

Not quite what I thought we would see within the first year or two under Silver (making the reports public), but its a step in the right direction.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

I think they should eventually just report these statistics to the public like they do the player statistics, on nba.com. The common thought against that seems to be how it would affect the officials if everybody knew how good/bad they are, but to that I say, "Boo hoo; ask the players how they feel about their games being over-analyzed by advanced statistics. If they have to suck it up, why can't the officials? Most fans hate them already anyway." If it would make anyone feel better, double their pay when you publicize their stats, but do it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I would like to know what the definition of a blown call is. Does that only include calls that are made, that were wrong? or does it include calls that were not made and should have been?

Also the reports here are not realy public. The teams get the reports, they I suppose can choose to make them public, but I would guess the NBA will try to persuade the teams not to make them public.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I think they should eventually just report these statistics to the public like they do the player statistics, on nba.com. The common thought against that seems to be how it would affect the officials if everybody knew how good/bad they are, but to that I say, "Boo hoo; ask the players how they feel about their games being over-analyzed by advanced statistics. If they have to suck it up, why can't the officials? Most fans hate them already anyway." If it would make anyone feel better, double their pay when you publicize their stats, but do it.
    We just need an inside man who is willing to take pictures then post the stats somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I would like to know what the definition of a blown call is. Does that only include calls that are made, that were wrong? or does it include calls that were not made and should have been?

Also the reports here are not realy public. The teams get the reports, they I suppose can choose to make them public, but I would guess the NBA will try to persuade the teams not to make them public.
    Agree about knowing the definition of a blown call. At least now teams have the proper knowledge to be able to petition the NBA for removal of the worst refs. The more people who know who is doing a bad job, the harder it is to ignore that they are doing bad.

This sounds like a great move.

Even though I'd be personally curious to see them, I don't think it's necessary to make the reports open to the general public (at least, not in real-time. Maybe some general stats provided at the end of the season). I don't see what that adds to the game. The teams already have enough motivation to make sure their guys are getting fair calls, I think there should be enough checks and balances already under this program.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    At least now teams have the proper knowledge to be able to petition the NBA for removal of the worst refs. The more people who know who is doing a bad job, the harder it is to ignore that they are doing bad.
    Refs are dropped out of the league all the time. Other refs are dropped from working playoff games or conference finals or NBA Finals.\

If you want to know what refs grade the best every season look at the 12 who work the NBA finals. if you want to know who the next 8 or so are look at the 20 or so who work the conference finals. (note, I do know 12 are picked each year to work the Finals, not positive about how many work the conference finals - could be a little more or a little less than 20).
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-26-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Ahem, paging BillS....

Not quite what I thought we would see within the first year or two under Silver (making the reports public), but its a step in the right direction.
    If this is about what I think it is, our information was based on asking if this information would ever be made PUBLIC. The refs had huge privacy objections to that. One could make an argument that the teams are actually their employers (via the league).
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

It's still more public than it was under the old regime.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    This sounds like a great move.

Even though I'd be personally curious to see them, I don't think it's necessary to make the reports open to the general public (at least, not in real-time. Maybe some general stats provided at the end of the season).

Yeah.........wouldn't want any naked fanboys wielding guns and threatening to kill bad referees on Facebook.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Refs are dropped out of the league all the time.
    I'm just wondering when Violet Palmer is going to get the axe.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Refs are dropped out of the league all the time. Other refs are dropped from working playoff games or conference finals or NBA Finals.\

If you want to know what refs grade the best every season look at the 12 who work the NBA finals. if you want to know who the next 8 or so are look at the 20 or so who work the conference finals. (note, I do know 12 are picked each year to work the Finals, not positive about how many work the conference finals - could be a little more or a little less than 20).
    There system is flawed obviously considering a ref who was dirty got picked for the playoffs. Or its sad he was still one of the best refs

God bless Adam Silver. He really is trying to avoid David Stern's pitfalls.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I'm just wondering when Violet Palmer is going to get the axe.
    I forget the name of the other original female ref - she was fired years ago.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dee Kantner (who was far worse)

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Grover For This Useful Post:

Maybe I should refine my point. It will allow the NBA teams to petition for different definitions in order to make the grading process more accurate.

Not so much fired as reassigned. Dee Kantner is the Supervisor of Officials for the WNBA. And then suddenly all those crappy WNBA refs are explained.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni....html?page=all

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    God bless Adam Silver. He really is trying to avoid David Stern's pitfalls.
    It is great that you didn't have to make that green.

Silver seems to actually be acting in the best interests of the NBA and its fans so far!

I hesitate to say it, but this change reminds me somewhat of the culture change from JOB to Vogel.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post: