Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Evan or Lance?

Default Re: Evan or Lance?

Should the real answer just be "whoever is cheaper"?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think so. If we can resign Lance at $10 or Evan at his QO of $8.7, I'm taking Lance.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

yep

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Price certainly matters, but I think it's more complicated than that. Are we sure that Turner can just step in as Lance's replacement? He's only played 1 game, so too early to tell IMO.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Mood

Lance Stephenson, G, Indiana Pacers

Eastern conference scout: "He's just a pit bull. He's rounded out his game. He takes the challenge defensively, and then offensively, you can't discount him. Years ago, as an opponent, you would game plan for him to get the ball. You wanted him shooting it. Now, you can't game plan like that."
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...ssardOverrated

Hopefully he stays underrated this summer and we can somehow afford him. I just don't see how we can dude is going to get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...ssardOverrated

Hopefully he stays underrated this summer and we can somehow afford him. I just don't see how we can dude is going to get paid.
    I think we will keep him, but this is why the Turner trade was smart

Is there really any doubt who that player will be?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I think we will keep him, but this is why the Turner trade was smart
    I totally agree here.

The "Fallback Plan" for possibly ( and IMHO likely ) Lance was going to be re-sign Granger + some cheapie Free Agent signing. Given the many comments, concerns that some have about Granger.......Bird basically upgraded our "Fallback Plan" from Granger ( who admittedly was on the downside of his career ) to Turner...a younger Player that may have limited upside but can at least ( in some but not all aspects of his game ) be considered an upgrade to Granger.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Price certainly matters, but I think it's more complicated than that. Are we sure that Turner can just step in as Lance's replacement? He's only played 1 game, so too early to tell IMO.
    Agreed, but we're using the same "Hill logic" others use when looking for an upgrade at PG. Turner has scored 9.4/13.3/17.3 over the last 3. "See, he scores more points, he must be better! And he's cheaper. We can use the savings for Roy's next contract".

I love the fact that we have created a fallback in case the the LS "whatever it takes" train leaves town. It will be interesting to see how Lance and Turner play together to the finish. Very interesting.

Exactly. There is a reason Turner is plan B. Because Lance is the better player, hands down.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Lance is gonna get 12+ Million. No way the Pacers will be able to keep him.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Exactly. There is a reason Turner is plan B. Because Lance is the better player, hands down.
    Would be fun to see what kind of player he really is by putting him in Philly.

I shudder to think of the ever present possibility of a meltdown if the control rods (David West) were pulled.

Dude's in the top 10 in techs now, can you imagine putting him in a fluid scenario?

On ESPN FIRST TAKE this morning, they said Miami almost got Evan Turner. But the Sixers were asking for Udonis Haslem. Miami didn't wanna trade big for small, fearing an ECF match up with Indy. So they passed on the deal. Now, he's a Pacer. And we didn't have to sacrifice any of our BIG's, and plus.....we got an extra BIG in the trade too. Larry = genius.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    On ESPN FIRST TAKE this morning, they said Miami almost got Evan Turner. But the Sixers were asking for Udonis Haslem. Miami didn't wanna trade big for small, fearing an ECF match up with Indy. So they passed on the deal. Now, he's a Pacer. And we didn't have to sacrifice any of our BIG's, and plus.....we got an extra BIG in the trade too. Larry = genius.

To be fair.....Teams like the Heat ( or more specifically Playoff Contenders ) now just have to wait for some Team to buy out their huge Expiring contract Player ( a la Granger and Caron Butler ) and just sign them to a cheap contract.

The Heat basically will pay 900K to sign Butler. Does he have a higher upside than Turner? Nope....but he will be a solid rotational Player to counter Turner.

Whatever though.....the cost of a 2nd round pick and creating some bad karma ( by trading a long time and loyal Player like Granger ) basically allowed Bird to upgrade our "Plan B".
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-27-2014 at 04:18 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

To be fair.....Teams like the Heat ( or more specifically Playoff Contenders ) now just have to wait for some Team to buy out their huge Expiring contract Player ( a la Granger and Caron Butler ) and just sign them to a cheap contract.

The Heat basically will pay 900K to sign Butler. Does he have a higher upside than Turner? Nope....but he will be a solid rotational Player to counter Turner.

Whatever though.....the cost of a 2nd round pick and creating some bad karma ( by trading a long time and loyal Player like Granger ) basically allowed Bird to upgrade our "Plan B".

Not sold on Caron going to Miami just yet. Spurs and OKC are interested as well. He might see more playing time in OKC or San Antonio.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    no chance this is accurate. Miami fans themselves realize UD is done. His best days are behind him according to most heat fans with any common sense.

Not drinking the First Take "kool aid" on this one.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Lance is gonna get 12+ Million. No way the Pacers will be able to keep him.
    Pass it around.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    no chance this is accurate. Miami fans themselves realize UD is done. His best days are behind him according to most heat fans with any common sense.

Not drinking the First Take "kool aid" on this one.
    For what it's worth Dan Lebatard reported the same thing on his radio show the other day (it might have just been the local Miami hour and not national). I believe it because he was actually a journalist at one point and has Heat sources.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lance.

I'll keep updating and probably alternating my opinion depending on how they fare offensively each game.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

The Sixers wanted Haslem AND a first round pick from the Heat for Turner.

Lance and Evan Turner are similar players with Lance quite obviously having the higher talent level. One of Lance's worse attributes is his perimeter shooting and he's still clearly better than Turner. He's really better in every aspect of the game and people need to factor in that Lance has been operating at this level as a starter on the best team in the league...not a starter on one of the worst teams in the league. So, it's easily Lance but it might matter how much $ is required to retain him. A 3M/yr premium over Turner is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Lance and Evan Turner are similar players with Lance quite obviously having the higher talent level. One of Lance's worse attributes is his perimeter shooting and he's still clearly better than Turner. He's really better in every aspect of the game and people need to factor in that Lance has been operating at this level as a starter on the best team in the league...not a starter on one of the worst teams in the league. So, it's easily Lance but it might matter how much $ is required to retain him. A 3M/yr premium over Turner is fair.
    I wouldnt say he's better in every aspect of the game. Evan is far more polished in the mid range and post. But Lance is definitely the better player. His defense is far better as well. I'm not sure what the price I would put on it. $3 mil means we would be paying Lance nearly $12 mil. That was my absolute limit in the one thread we had here. I really don't want to pay him that much. $10 seems so much better.

I dont't see how anyone could choose Turner over Lance, that being said Turner is a good back-up plan if we can't afford Lance

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldnt say he's better in every aspect of the game. Evan is far more polished in the mid range and post. But Lance is definitely the better player. His defense is far better as well. I'm not sure what the price I would put on it. $3 mil means we would be paying Lance nearly $12 mil. That was my absolute limit in the one thread we had here. I really don't want to pay him that much. $10 seems so much better.
    Free throw shooting too. It wouldn't surprise me to see Turner replace Lance late in certain late game situations.

You are correct. Polished is a good way to describe it. Turner went to OSU and Lance to Cincinnati. Lance was ridiculously raw entering the NBA. Lance is 2 years younger and is still an unfinished product. We have yet to see his ceiling. I fully expect his shooting to improve and his post game to get better. He will become an overall smarter player given more years in the league.

So, what I am saying is that I would not be surprised to see Lance get better in both of those aspects of the game. I think his potential is greater in all aspects of the game, although Turner's mid range game is very good and may always be a little better.

Edit: I will attribute a 1M/year difference in their salaries to only one thing: Lance wanting to stay in Indy at all costs. Lance is definitely worth more than 1M/year extra.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post: