Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Postgame vs Lakers

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Postgame vs Lakers

Our defensive schemes are far more complicated than our offensive ones, and offense is just more intuitive and natural from an individual standpoint in a team game. It makes sense that Turner would be more comfortable shooting and scoring than playing in our defensive scheme after a single practice. I won't judge him defensively until he has at least a week or two of practice under his belt.
    Goodbye Captain, My Captain. I wish you had the chance to sink or swim with your ship on its quest for the "ship".

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

I thought that Don't Sh00t Me writeup was pretty spot on about Turner. Defensively, his worst attribute was getting out of position off ball and being too slow to close out. It happened 3 or 4 times tonight. It drove me crazy, but it seems correctable.

Offensively he can hit the mid-range pretty well. My guess is he didn't get a lot of great looks in Philly. Maybe he'll get better looks off the bench for us.

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that had to do more with the second half blowout than anything else...
    No actually it didn't, he played 13 or 14 first half minutes

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Anyone else feel bad for that woman they put up during the Oscar lookalike timeout?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Evan Turner had 6 field goals tonight in his first action. Through 27 games the most field goals in a single game Danny Granger hit was 5. Evan's ability from midrange, ability to create for others, and handle the ball under pressure can potentially be invaluable.
    Goodbye Captain, My Captain. I wish you had the chance to sink or swim with your ship on its quest for the "ship".

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Anyone else feel bad for that woman they put up during the Oscar lookalike timeout?
    Yes, I like Judi Dench, but I would be mad if I was a woman that was supposed to look like her.

Wouldn't mind having her money though.

AWESOME...

You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    Yes, I like Judi Dench, but I would be mad if I was a woman that was supposed to look like her.

Wouldn't mind having her money though.
    Yeah just a little too far on their part

I also want to say: man I hate D'Antoni as a coach. He gives me terrible O'Brien flashbacks.

Aside from the Lakers' terrible shot selection, he put Wesley Johnson, who's 6'7" and 215, on David West defensively. And save for a short period of being guarded by Jordan Hill, West then had Ryan Kelly on him.

It reminded me of one of O'Brien's last games, when he put Roy Hibbert and then James Posey on Blake Griffin (instead of Hansbrough, who was put on DeAndre Jordan?????), and then Blake went for 47.

Puke.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure David West drew 8 fouls in 3 quarters tonight on Johnson/Kelly.
    Last edited by imawhat; 02-26-2014 at 12:32 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Die hard Pacers fan!!!!! SIR-LANCE-ALOT's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

evan defense wasnt that bad, paul george got burnt a few times tonight too

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR-LANCE-ALOT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Evan Turner had 6 field goals tonight in his first action. Through 27 games the most field goals in a single game Danny Granger hit was 5. Evan's ability from midrange, ability to create for others, and handle the ball under pressure can potentially be invaluable.
    Excellent point. Other than Scola our rotation bench played great tonight. Especially Turner. Allen even looked decent enough in his garbage minutes.

To be fair Scola did have some good tonight, but for the most part it was a bad night.

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Evan Turner had 6 field goals tonight in his first action. Through 27 games the most field goals in a single game Danny Granger hit was 5.
    I don't really see much significance to this stat. Granger usually only took 7 or 8 shots because that was all that was asked of him. He wasn't really given the freedom to shoot more. When Granger first came back, he scored 12 points on 8 shots in his second game back. He shot over 50% in 4 of his first 10 games back. The bench also saw a huge upswing in production for about 10 or so games, and everyone was singing the praises of Granger.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I don't really see much significance to this stat. Granger usually only took 7 or 8 shots because that was all that was asked of him. He wasn't really given the freedom to shoot more. When Granger first came back, he scored 12 points on 8 shots in his second game back. He shot over 50% in 4 of his first 10 games back. The bench also saw a huge upswing in production for about 10 or so games, and everyone was singing the praises of Granger.
    How do you know he wasn't asked to shoot more than he did? I'd guess he was green lighted. I'd be surprised if he was not with that unit, but he just wasn't as capable creating his own offense as he used to be thus low shot totals. That line up needed an instant offense type guy so if he was not asked to be aggressive on offense then I think that was bad coaching. My guess is though he was asked to be aggressive but he gave us all he could, just unfortunately his age and injuries made that not enough.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VideoVandal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Not getting Granger the ball when he was open which resulted in not getting him the shot attempts we should have was my biggest gripe about the way we used Granger. It's all water under the bridge now. I really hope we can use Turner more effectively and the 12 shot attempts isn't a fluke any more then the 22 shot attempts Hibbert and West had. It's one game though and we usually don't get 101 shots off in a game. If we revert to only getting Turner 6-7 shots like Granger often had then the trade becomes a waste. I'll hope tonight is the new norm but wait a few games before declaring that.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Decent game by Turner, but he is terrible defensively. If he lets guys like Jodie Meeks or Bazemore make him look like a turn-style, he is gonna have world of trouble with the elite guards. Constantly over pursued the 3 pt line and his man just went on buy with a good angle. Like what I saw offensively though.
    Really? It's one game. He still has to learn the defensive schemes. He's going to improve. And i wouldn't really say he was terrible either, he wasn't great, but not horrible. I definitely expect him to improve greatly before the playoffs. What do you expect from a guy that just came from the sixers?

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

We've gone from guarding Andrew Bynum with Troy Murphy when the Lakers roll into town, to the Lakers guarding David West with Wesley Johnson when the Lakers roll into town. How the worm has turned!!

Anyway, I liked what I saw from Evan Turner. He's very confident, skilled, willing able to pass, I dug his post up turn around shot on the baseline against smaller players, and he seemed to already have a pretty good idea of what was going on with our team offense and defense. At one point he made a rotation on defense and was point Lance to where Lance was supposed to be rotating on the floor. Not bad for his first game here. I also liked how comfortable he was shooting off the dribble from mid range; very nice to see that.

Defensively, I guess I didn't see the flaws that some were seeing; he looked active and engaged to me. Sometimes I think when he's getting 'burned' he's a victim of the same thing as George Hill: Pressing up on people / chasing them over screens to funnel them to Roy and Ian, on purpose, and leaving some fans thinking they suck on D when they don't. But that's just me. I'm not saying he was great defensively, but I certainly wasn't cringing, either.

Enjoyed it a lot when Paul took over the game in the 3rd quarter, specifically on defense but of course he also started knocking down his shots, too.

Scola picked it up a little bit late, but overall he's still struggling. Quinn said he was knocking down his shots in practice again the other day, so maybe that will translate to the games soon; hope so.

Ian did play well, too.

Lance frustrated me tonight with dumb passes and some over-dribbling, and I think when contrasted with Turner it looked worse, too. It's only one game, so I don't read too much into it. I just know that for the time being, I feel like I'm going to liek Turner better than I like Lance, but there's lots of games to be played and my opinions could change a lot. But for now, if the Pacers are going to have to choose between paying Lance 10-12m per year, or Turner 8-10m per year, I know which one I'd prefer.

27. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Glad to see some positivity when we win like we should. Didn't get to watch the game, though I did watch this delightful interview with George on NBATV: http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...aul-george.nba.

And some post-game locker talk, mostly on ET: http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2014...225f4v-3173203

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    And some post-game locker talk, mostly on ET: http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2014...225f4v-3173203
    The take away from this video:

Frank Vogel has set plays for Ian Mahinmi to throw alley-oops to Paul George.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Turner just gave the bench an extra hop in it's step. They played quicker and the offense was just more smooth. Having another guy who can create his own shot just gives the bench a nice spark. The fact that Granger couldn't create his own shot really stung the second unit. I felt that people were way too tough on Lance's play with the second unit in recent weeks. What was he supposed to do, make chicken salad out of chicken *****? The two people who were supposed to give us scoring off of the bench, Granger and Scola, were absolutely dreadful lately. Sure Lance was forcing some ugly stuff, but the low quality of play by the second unit forced him to do that. I expect Lance's second unit play to improve a lot now that we have another legit offensive option in Turner. Hopefully some of it rubs off on Scola.

I appreciate that we have a superstar like Paul George on the team, but he just forces way too many ugly shots. The more he misses, the more he feels compelled to jack up an even worse shot next time down to make up for it. That iso at the end of the first half where everyone just stood around while PG dribbled a bunch of seconds off the clock and clanked one at the buzzer has just become way too predictable. Sure he deserves to get a substantial amount of the shots in that situation, but it seems like he shoots it every freaking time we are in one of those situations. The other 4 players don't even move anymore on those plays because they know they aren't getting the ball. He forces shots as if he is Kobe Bryant on the untalented 2006 Lakers. This team is just way too talented for a player to force ugly shots. PG attempted 18 shots while George Hill only attempted 9. Hill was efficient with those shots as he has been most of the time lately, so I think that 3 or 4 of PG's ugly shots should have gone to Hill. Like I said, I appreciate PG's greatness, but I just don't see the need for such forced shots from a player on a team as stacked as this. There were multiple attempts last night where he ignored open teammates or shot a long J when he should have tried to get a closer look.

Pau Gasol played damn good D on Hibbert and kept him from getting good position. Gasol has been such a great player for a long time. The rest of that roster is pretty garbage right now. Bazelmore played pretty good I guess.

As mentioned in the game thread, this team is just lethal when everyone ball hawks on defense. That led to some nice transition plays in the second half.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    That iso at the end of the first half where everyone just stood around while PG dribbled a bunch of seconds off the clock and clanked one at the buzzer has just become way too predictable. Sure he deserves to get a substantial amount of the shots in that situation, but it seems like he shoots it every freaking time we are in one of those situations.
    I think a lot of this is on the coaches. There is plenty of time to get into a play and it just doesn't seem like one is even getting called from the bench.

I had my share of issues with the late 90's teams and their shortcomings with defense & rebounding but man it was sure nice to know those guys were going to get a good shot in those situations almost everytime. They were great with out of bounds plays after timeouts too.

Lack of execution in these situations will really hurt if (when) the Pacers get into a lot of one & two possesion games in the playoffs. I almost feel this group will better off jacking up any shot they can with 5-seconds left on clock and then just going after it for a put back.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    I think a lot of this is on the coaches. There is plenty of time to get into a play and it just doesn't seem like one is even getting called from the bench.

I had my share of issues with the late 90's teams and their shortcomings with defense & rebounding but man it was sure nice to know those guys were going to get a good shot in those situations almost everytime. They were great with out of bounds plays after timeouts too.

Lack of execution in these situations will really hurt if (when) the Pacers get into a lot of one & two possesion games in the playoffs. I almost feel this group will better off jacking up any shot they can with 5-seconds left on clock and then just going after it for a put back.

I agree, I think we had something like 17 seconds on that iso at the end of the first half. Everyone just sat there while PG dribbled a bunch of seconds off the clock and then jacked up a missed shot. It's just too predictable at this point. I agree, this could sting us in the playoffs. PG deserves to get plenty of those shots, no doubt about it, but the coaches need to reign it in just a little bit and design some other plays in those situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    PG deserves to get plenty of those shots, no doubt about it,
    DESERVES ?? B.S.

I'd love to see some stats about his shots at the end of quarters. I would say it's 25% at best. He's done nothing to show that he deserves to waste the last seconds of a quarter trying to hit a low percentage shot. It's a wasted possession each time it happens.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

At 6:12 of the 4th quarter, Vogel subbed out the second string and put the third string in with a 31 point lead at 109-78. At that point of the game, the Pacers had outscored the Lakers 52-24 in the second half. What a beat down.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    Really? It's one game. He still has to learn the defensive schemes.
    That IS the defensive scheme. Press you're man, force him to Roy.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Nice start for Evan. Danny forever, but his legs never came back, he couldn't jump stop or change direction. So no Danny drives or shots off curls. Camping the corner for spacing was his remaining trick. Not much.

Ian was the best sub last night. G2 moved the needle the most, but this is Ian's best run in Pacers gear. If Bynum does nothing other than lighting a fire under Ian's arse, he was a good signing.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danman For This Useful Post: