Thread: Pacers statistics quiz

Default Pacers statistics quiz

I was looking through some statistics today and thought some might think it's fun to do a little quiz. One of the hardest things to do is to form perceptions over a large sample size. We tend to have certain moments stick out in our minds, and then those moments start to bias the way we look at the next game we watch.

So how well do your perceptions line up with the numbers? Take this quiz and find out. Answer whatever questions you want below. The answers to the quiz will only be the 9 guys who have been in the rotation the last couple of months. The starters, Granger, Watson, Scola, and Mahinmi. I know I found some of the answers to be a little surprising!

1) Per 36 minutes, who are the four Pacers averaging the most shot attempts per game and in what order?

2) Who are the 3 Pacers with the highest usage rate, and in what order?

3) Who are the 4 Pacers with the highest assist percentage and in what order?

4) Who are the 3 Pacers with the lowest turnover percentage and in what order?

5) Who are the 3 Pacers with the highest turnover percentage and in what order?

6) Who are the 3 Pacers who lead the team in TS% and in what order?

7) Who are the 3 Pacers who lead the team in Offensive Rating and in what order (Note: remember that this is a lineup on the floor based statistic)?

8) Who are the 3 Pacers who lead the team in Defensive Rating and in what order (Note: remember that this is a lineup on the floor based statistic)?

9) Who are the 3 Pacers who lead the team in Win Shares and in what order?

Sport VU data section

10) Two Pacers have the ball in their hands for over 3 minutes per game. Who are those two players?

11) Who leads the Pacers in contested rebound %?

12) Who are the best 3 Pacers in catch and shoot percentage (not necessarily 3's)?

13) Who are the best two players in pull up shot percentages?

14) Who are the best two players in field goal percentage on drives?

Answers are in spoilers below.

Spoiler Spoiler:

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers statistics quiz

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was looking through some statistics today and thought some might think it's fun to do a little quiz. One of the hardest things to do is to form perceptions over a large sample size. We tend to have certain moments stick out in our minds, and then those moments start to bias the way we look at the next game we watch.

So how well do your perceptions line up with the numbers? Take this quiz and find out. Answer whatever questions you want below. The answers to the quiz will only be the 9 guys who have been in the rotation the last couple of months. The starters, Granger, Watson, Scola, and Mahinmi. I know I found some of the answers to be a little surprising!

I am leaving Sloan out of this.

1) Per 36 minutes, who are the four Pacers averaging the most shot attempts per game and in what order?

PG, Lance, West, Danny

2) Who are the 3 Pacers with the highest usage rate, and in what order?
    PG, Lance, West, Danny

3) Who are the 4 Pacers with the highest assist percentage and in what order?
    Lance, PG, Hill, West

4) Who are the 3 Pacers with the lowest turnover percentage and in what order?
    Hill, CJ, hard to the name the last,,, Butler

5) Who are the 3 Pacers with the highest turnover percentage and in what order?
    Ian, Danny, Lance

6) Who are the 3 Pacers who lead the team in TS% and in what order?
    Butler, Lance, Ian

7) Who are the 3 Pacers who lead the team in Offensive Rating and in what order (Note: remember that this is a lineup on the floor based statistic)?
    PG, Lance, West

8) Who are the 3 Pacers who lead the team in Defensive Rating and in what order (Note: remember that this is a lineup on the floor based statistic)? Ian, Hibbert, PG

9) Who are the 3 Pacers who lead the team in Win Shares and in what order?
    PG, Lance, West

Sport VU data section

10) Two Pacers have the ball in their hands for over 3 minutes per game. Who are those two players?
    PG, Lance
    11) Who leads the Pacers in contested rebound %?
    Hibbert, Ian

12) Who are the best 3 Pacers in catch and shoot percentage (not necessarily 3's)?
    Butler, Copeland

13) Who are the best two players in pull up shot percentages? Hill, PG

14) Who are the best two players in field goal percentage on drives? Lance and Hill

Answers are in spoilers below.

Spoiler Spoiler:
    NOt too terrible. Not happy with the Ian and TS% answer but hey most centers who just dunk normally do well there.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 02-25-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Hehe, I cheated a bit, in that I've recently been looking at bbref so already have a pretty decent idea of the answers. As it turned out, I mostly misremembered the order, but ended up with exactly one name wrong per question from numbers #1-9 (except for #3, which I got right). For the Sport VU section, my answers were a mess, but I somehow got #14 correctly (including the order).

Bonus question: One player has led the Pacers in ORtg the past 3 seasons, and it's not by a small margin either. Who is that player?

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Last edited by wintermute; 02-25-2014 at 03:00 PM.

I have a headache

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was fun. lol

Probably too many questions on that one!

Here's some things I noticed that might be going unnoticed:

At least for the season, Lance hasn't been nearly the ballhog that it might seem like. He was only 5th on the team in shot attempts per minute. Only tied for 3rd on the team in total minutes holding the ball (way behind Hill and tied with Watson who plays half the minutes Lance does). His shot attempts did go up in January, but only enough to still put him 4th on that list, and it has gone right back down in February.

Scola however shows up really badly. Shoots a lot, very poor TS%, high turnover percentage, low assist percentage, etc. His rebound numbers are up which helps a little, but instead of a bounce back year from the poor year like most were expecting, it seems that he's sliding even further.

Obviously as winter pointed out, George Hill does not enough credit for being super efficient. I do wonder if the FT numbers are inflated from end of game situations (which is big for him especially since he isn't a high usage guy during the game) but a .585 TS% and another good A/T ratio are really important parts of the team along with his defense.

Finally, Paul George's turnover percentage is easily the best of his career. Part of that is that he's not passing the ball quite as much, but he's really turning into a above average player at avoiding turnovers, and it's been mostly obscured by the fact that his usage rate keeps going up so he still as many raw turnovers.

Anything else that anybody notices?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

On Lance, the idea that he is a ball hog has more to do with how he plays with the bench, than how he plays with the starters. As well, it wasn't something that people were saying about him until he started to push for his all-star bid. Likewise with Paul, over the whole season has done well not turning it over, but there was a period in which he was struggling with turnovers.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anything else that anybody notices?
    Not really along the same lines as what you've posted, but here are some statistical oddities I spotted.

Our team TO rate is exactly the same as last year (14.3%), but we've now "improved" to 23rd in the league from 27th last year. This still isn't a good thing btw

More interesting is our 3 point rate. We're shooting the 3 ever slightly so less this year (.241 vs .245 3FGA/FGA ratio), but we've dropped from 11th to 21st in the league. The league is becoming a lot more 3 point happy.

Our team ORtg last year was 104.3 (20th), and is now 105.0 (19th), a miniscule improvement despite a big jump in eFG%. Why isn't our offense better? The only thing that I could find to account for that is that our OReb% has dropped from 30.3% (4th) last year, to 25.2% (19th) this year.

Diving deeper, it appears that Hibbert has gone from a beastly 14.8% OReb rate last year to a more pedestrian 11.0% this year. Since his career number is 11.5%, it appears that Hibbert is regressing to the mean. It doesn't help that we replaced Hansbrough (13.4% last year) with Scola (7.1% this year) at backup PF.

One more thing I've noticed - a lot of our players (guys like Hill, West, even Mahinmi and Watson) rate mediocre to poor in PER, but look pretty good in Win Shares. For our system anyway, it feels like Win Shares correlate with the eye test a lot more. Why is that?