Thread: RFA question

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default RFA question

As we all know, the Pacers have picked up Evan Turner. He is a Restricted Free Agent this summer. If the Pacers do nothing, he becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. If the Pacers offer him the required (according to his contract) $8.7 million they have the right to match any offer that another team may give him.

Here is my question. If the Pacers make the $8.7 million offer to Turner, can he take it and play next season with the Pacers and then become a UFA?

Default Re: RFA question

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As we all know, the Pacers have picked up Evan Turner. He is a Restricted Free Agent this summer. If the Pacers do nothing, he becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. If the Pacers offer him the required (according to his contract) $8.7 million they have the right to match any offer that another team may give him.

Here is my question. If the Pacers make the $8.7 million offer to Turner, can he take it and play next season with the Pacers and then become a UFA?
    yes

Thanks.

I think if I am Turner and the Pacers make that offer, I'd take it and play a year. With Turner added at $8.7 million, that would make it virtually impossible for the Pacers to sign Lance, hence Turner would become the starting SG next year.

Thanks.

I think if I am Turner and the Pacers make that offer, I'd take it and play a year. With Turner added at $8.7 million, that would make it virtually impossible for the Pacers to sign Lance, hence Turner would become the starting SG next year.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Sure, he can take the Qaulifying Offer, and I imagine we'll extend it in a "just in case scenario," no reason not to. But we can rescind it at any time before July 1st, same deal we did with Hansbrough, same deal Charlotte did with Augustin before we signed him. Lance goes elsewhere we can still keep Turner.

The minute you hear "Lance Stephenson signs with X" that's it. SIGNS. Not "agrees to terms" or any of that mumbo jumbo, SIGNS. If Lance puts his name on a contract that's it, here or anywhere else.

IN real world effect it's the same scenario as trying to keep Danny in terms of cap space, other than Turner is hopefully a better player and we have an out if we can't keep Lance.

There's absolutely zero chance we keep both.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 02-25-2014 at 10:50 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Thanks.

And the bad part is the QO must be made before the July moratorium. The negotiations with FA's don't start till after that. Lance won't know what other teams want to pay until later. So it is unlikely that he will be interested in signing until he does. But neither will Evan know what kind of offer he will get, so I expect in the end, it won't make a difference.

Good question. IIRC, we were looking at $7.7 million in available Salary Cap if we let Danny walk and kept Scola. That has not changed except for OJ's $1 million? We still have to resign either Lance or Turner and our draft pick(unless that's gone). LB and his staff will have to do some pretty fancy shuffling to get next year ready. However, Bird has said he's not worried about any year but this one. We are all in for a Championship run this season. Besides, if we can win the Trophy this year, perhaps Bird and/or Vogel will go somewhere else next year./

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    Besides, if we can win the Trophy this year, perhaps Bird and/or Vogel will go somewhere else next year./
    I'm really confused as to why Frank Vogel would leave if we won a championship

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    And the bad part is the QO must be made before the July moratorium. The negotiations with FA's don't start till after that. Lance won't know what other teams want to pay until later. So it is unlikely that he will be interested in signing until he does. But neither will Evan know what kind of offer he will get, so I expect in the end, it won't make a difference.
    Lance's agent will know at least some of the teams, if not all, that have an interest in signing him well before the signing period. They will all call early expressing an interest, hoping that Lance does not sign before talking with them. Probably the exact same instruction that is coming from Bird. And this is exactly why re-signing Lance is going to be costly, and someone will end up overpaying.

If Turner plays well, I think the odds are 50-50 that he will be with us next season and not Lance. As much as the fans and team would like to, there is very little chance of being able to keep both. To do so, just about every other second unit player would have to be released or traded for cheaper alternatives. Even then, we would revisit a similar problem the following year.

Can you sign and trade Turner? I just wonder if that might be an option, especially if you didn't have to take much back.

I doubt the Pacers make the qualifying offer. I doubt any team will pay Turner that much.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

If Turner fits in well here, the interesting wrinkle could be playing him and Lance together in the backcourt. Neither is a point guard, yet both handle the ball well anyway, so it really wouldn't matter so long as they play well off of one another.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I am hoping if Evan does well here we trade George Hill in the off-season, re-sign Lance and Evan. And then add a PG for cheap. We could trade for someone who's in the final year of their deal. Or sign someone like a Jimmer who'd be cheap. But Evan and Lance bring a set of skills that George Hill does not have. I'd rather have them both on next year's team than Hill if it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I am hoping if Evan does well here we trade George Hill in the off-season, re-sign Lance and Evan. And then add a PG for cheap. We could trade for someone who's in the final year of their deal. Or sign someone like a Jimmer who'd be cheap. But Evan and Lance bring a set of skills that George Hill does not have. I'd rather have them both on next year's team than Hill if it comes to that.
    I might be a Danny Granger Fanboy, but atleast I'm not talking about trading a Starter from this team so that some guy who hasn't played one minute for us can get a 7 million dollar per year contract.

I actually think that the Pacers will end up keeping Turner, he will not want to go to a crappy team after having played for us, and he will get to start for us. Provide he plays well of course. Lance will cost way too much to keep, and he is gonna sign with the one of the worst teams in the league. Infact Lances next team is in town tonight.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 02-25-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If Turner fits in well here, the interesting wrinkle could be playing him and Lance together in the backcourt. Neither is a point guard, yet both handle the ball well anyway, so it really wouldn't matter so long as they play well off of one another.
    My biggest fear with that backcourt though is that teams just pack it in on us, daring Turner and Lance to shoot the 3 ball, making life miserable inside for Hibbert and West.