Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 37 of 37

Thread: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

  1. #26
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    June 2nd?! But how will he help the Knicks in the Finals????

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,876

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? Show me where in the constitution it says a 5 year old girl can't own a gun? (actually 5 year olds can own guns, they may not purchase them but they may own them if they their parents feel that they are responsible enough I would not purchase a gun for a five year old but my Son got his first gun at 10 as did I)

    Or felons? (5th amendment due process of law is required to convict someone of a felony and to deprive them of life liberty or property) I mean it just says it applies to "people," right? Children are people. Felons are people.

    We have gun control laws in This country. Saying anyone should have the right to keep any gun they want at any time is the same as saying gun laws and gun registration itself is unconstitutional. The Supreme Court is not going to strike down a law that says you have to register your firearm. The entire argument is silly.

    And no, your argument doesn't make you a terrorist. It just makes you a very poor choice to argue the other side of this.
    Many gun control laws in this country are quite unconstitutional and are being defeated when taken to the supreme court. As the bill of rights is a list of rights to protect us from an overzealous government any gun registration law is clearly an attempt to at some point in the future allow the government to be able to violate our rights it is a bad law and I believe would be found to be unconstitutional. The court has determined that state governments may not pose undue burdens on their citizens that prevent the legal ownership of firearms. Sorry that actually knowing something about the constitution makes me a problem for you in this argument.

    I am also unwilling to support any law originally thought up by the KKK http://www.examiner.com/article/kkk-...of-gun-control

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,331

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and in New York, that's a felony. Ask Plaxico.
    I realize it is a felony in New York. It is more why is it a felony when there is a real overcrowding in jails and we are turning non violent people into felons. I can see the misdemeanor charges and get some probation, but having to do hard time is a bit excessive in my mind. You are putting non violent people in with more violent people and putting them at an extreme disadvantage when they get out because they now carry that felony charge on their record.

    Personally I have no problem with registering firearms and I also think everyone who wants to own should have to go through extensive training and psychology to determine if people are competent enough to own a weapon. Then again a lot of my own personal political beliefs would not hold up against the constitution.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:


  7. #29

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Only in New York... Where they protect you from non-violent citizens carrying firearms and soft drinks.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tron For This Useful Post:


  9. #30
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,227

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? Show me where in the constitution it says a 5 year old girl can't own a gun? Or felons? I mean it just says it applies to "people," right? Children are people. Felons are people.
    The SCOTUS has already ruled on what the term "militia" is, and a 5 yr old girl aint it.
    The reserve militia or unorganized militia, also created by the Militia Act of 1903 which presently consist of every able-bodied man of at least 17 and under 45 years of age who are not members of the National Guard or Naval Militia.
    I know Felton plays like he's 46, but he falls squarely in that definition.
    Last edited by Since86; 02-26-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  10. #31

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...-jail-gun-case

    Raymond Felton avoids jail time

    NEW YORK -- New York Knicks point guard Raymond Felton will avoid jail time and be able to continue his basketball career without interruption after reaching a plea agreement on two felony gun charges in court on Monday morning.

    As part of the agreement, Felton will have to plead guilty to at least one of those felony gun charges -- criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree or criminal possession of a firearm -- complete 500 hours of community service, pay a $5,000 fine, register as a gun offender and waive his right as a defendant to appeal the case.

    [+] EnlargeRaymond Felton
    Marc Serota/Getty Images
    Raymond Felton will avoid jail time after reaching a plea agreement on two felony gun charges. He was facing a maximum sentence of seven years in prison.
    Felton, who wore a black suit and sported rimmed glasses, did not speak at his hearing on Monday in Manhattan Criminal Court. He would not take questions from reporters, but did issue a statement aloud outside the court room.

    "I just want to say that I want to thank the DA for being fair to me in this whole situation," Felton said. "I want to thank all my friends, my family especially, my fans, everybody just for supporting me and understanding the person I am."

    Felton turned himself in and was arrested on the morning of Feb. 25 following his team's loss to the Dallas Mavericks after his wife, Ariane Raymondo-Felton, alleged that Felton threatened her with a firearm. Court records show that Raymondo-Felton filed for divorce from Felton exactly a week earlier.

    According to a criminal complaint provided by the Manhattan District Attorney's Office, Felton was in possession of an FN model 5.7x28 millimeter caliber semiautomatic pistol loaded with approximately 18 rounds of live ammunition. Raymondo-Felton went to a Manhattan police precinct and turned over the gun prior to the Knicks-Mavericks game.

    If convicted on the two felony gun charges, Felton could've faced a maximum sentence of seven years in prison.

    "We want to thank the DA's office for focusing on the facts and only the facts. It's very clear that there was no proof, that there was never any proof that he ever used, threatened or pointed this gun at anyone," Felton's attorney, Jim Walden, said. "He never did that. It was a bold-faced lie. We're grateful that the DA's office saw through that and is going to allow him to continue his basketball career without interruption."

    Felton, 29, has two years remaining on the four-year, $15 million contract with a player option he signed with the Knicks.

    League sources have told ESPNNewYork.com that Knicks president Phil Jackson will look to trade Felton in the offseason, but that could prove difficult.

    Felton averaged a career-low 9.7 points per game on 39.5 percent shooting in 2013-14. He missed 17 games due to injury.

    There will be a hearing for Felton next Monday, but he will not have to appear.

  11. #32

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ll-avoid-jail/

    Raymond Felton pleads guilty on gun charges, will avoid jail

    Raymond Felton will not be going to jail.

    But I would expect the NBA will come down with some kind of suspension (or at least fine) for him.

    Felton was arrested last February in New York on three separate weapons charges after he allegedly pointed a gun at his wife (they were going through a divorce at the time, although that certainly is no excuse for the behavior). New York has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, but as had been expected Felton avoided jail time by pleading guilty, reports the Associated Press.

    Felton pleaded guilty to attempted criminal possession of a weapon and criminal possession of a firearm. He admitted he knowingly had a large-capacity ammunition magazine and a pistol without a license….

    He was immediately sentenced to 500 hours of community service and ordered to pay a $5,000 fine. Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Jonathan Rebold said Felton will be allowed to do the service outside New York.

    Felton was traded from the Knicks to the Dallas Mavericks this summer along with Tyson Chandler.

    As previously noted, it’s likely the NBA comes down with a little additional punishment for Felton.

  12. #33
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,398

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Well, that was a quick ruling.

  13. #34
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,719
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, that was a quick ruling.
    For sure, and somewhat surprising. If you are going to get a weapons violation on your record New York has to be about the worst place in the country for the offense to happen.

  14. #35
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,564
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For sure, and somewhat surprising. If you are going to get a weapons violation on your record New York has to be about the worst place in the country for the offense to happen.
    With his community service most likely to be in Texas at this point, it wouldn't surprise me if Felton won't even have to actually do much of that with Texas being one of the most pro-gun states in the country.

    Some thar in Texas might even figgur that he was raht for keepin' his woman in lahn without even wastin' a bullit.

    Just kidding, I hope...

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:


  16. #36

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...apons-charges/

    NBA suspends Mavericks’ Raymond Felton four games for weapons charges

    The Knicks traded Raymond Felton to Dallas as part of the Tyson Chandler deal this summer, but there was something hanging over Felton’s head during that deal — felony gun charges.

    He had been arrested in New York after he allegedly pointed a gun at his estranged wife. He eventually pled guilty to attempted criminal possession of a weapon and criminal possession of a firearm, as well as knowingly having a large-capacity ammunition magazine and a pistol that was unlicensed. Felton was sentenced to 500 hours of community service and ordered to pay a $5,000 fine.

    On top of that, the NBA has now suspended Felton the first four games of next season without pay, the league announced Thursday.

    “I demonstrated poor judgment and I take full responsibility for my actions,” Felton said in a statement released by the Mavericks.

    Mavericks owner Mark Cuban noted in his statement that Felton is allowed to serve is community service hours outside New York and can do them around Dallas.

    Snarky Dallas fans took to twitter saying the suspension was a blessing for the Mavericks — Felton struggled mightily last season in New York (which now has Jose Calderon running the point, a much better triangle offense fit). Once the suspension ends Felton (rarely the best conditioned athlete in the league, to be kind) will get the chance to turn his career around under one of the best Xs and Os coaches in the game in Rick Carlisle, someone who will put Felton in good positions to succeed. Whether he does anything with that chance remains to be seen. Color me skeptical.

  17. #37
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,719
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Sounds like the NBA did Dallas a favor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •