Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

  1. #1

    Default Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Yeah NY has strict gun charges he's going to be Plaxico'd

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...d=SportsCenter

    Knicks' Raymond Felton arrested

    NEW YORK -- Knicks point guard Raymond Felton was arrested early Tuesday on three counts of criminal possession of a weapon, according to a New York Police Department spokesman.

    Knicks point guard Raymond Felton faces three counts of criminal possession of a weapon.
    Felton was charged with second- and third-degree criminal possession of a firearm, which are felonies, and fourth-degree possession of a firearm, a misdemeanor, the spokesman said.

    The charges don't stem from Felton brandishing the firearm but from possessing a gun he wasn't registered to have, according to the spokesman.

    He is expected to appear in criminal court in Manhattan on Tuesday afternoon.

    Felton turned himself in at 12:50 a.m. ET and was questioned at the 20th Precinct in the Upper West Side of Manhattan, hours after the Knicks' loss to the Dallas Mavericks, the spokesman said.

    Felton, 29, signed a three-year, $10 million contract with the Knicks before the 2012-13 season. He has struggled this season, his ninth in the NBA, shooting 40.3 percent from the field and 29.6 percent from 3-point range while averaging 10.4 points per game. The Knicks offered him in several packages before last Thursday's trade deadline but couldn't complete a deal.

    New York City has strict gun possession laws.

    In 2009, New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress was sentenced to two years in prison after accepting a plea deal on a firearm charge following an incident in which he suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound to his thigh when his gun went off in a Manhattan nightclub. He faced a minimum sentence of 3˝ years if convicted at trial.

    The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  2. #2
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Why would he turn his self in? Dont' you have to be caught with the illegal weapon in the first place. Turning yourself in indicates that you were caught and then released?

    Also Mandatory Sentencing is stupid, so is stacked up charges. You have one weapon on you illegally, why do they get to stack on different degrees of charges 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Degrees? This is the result of the last 30-40 years of Americans who don't pay attention to what their law makers do and still keep electing the same people.

    Remember once you enter the justice system they are longer concerned about finding the truth, only getting convictions and business for their private prison industries.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  4. #3

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    I heard his soon to be ex wife turned him in

  5. #4
    Member BenR1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Fredonia, NY
    Posts
    1,346

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Arguably the best thing to happen to the Knicks this season.

  6. #5

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would he turn his self in? Dont' you have to be caught with the illegal weapon in the first place. Turning yourself in indicates that you were caught and then released?

    Also Mandatory Sentencing is stupid, so is stacked up charges. You have one weapon on you illegally, why do they get to stack on different degrees of charges 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Degrees? This is the result of the last 30-40 years of Americans who don't pay attention to what their law makers do and still keep electing the same people.

    Remember once you enter the justice system they are longer concerned about finding the truth, only getting convictions and business for their private prison industries.
    On the other hand, if they gave out medals for highest incarceration rate, we'd easily win gold!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

  7. #6
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Well, at least people will stop making fat jokes for a while.

    Sucks that he'll have to eat the charges.

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,063

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Hell hath no fury....

    If you're regularly doing something illegal, probably best not to get divorced, at least not **** off your ex on the way out.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,303

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Why is it so hard to just register the firearm? Is it the whole the government will take my guns mentality? The guy is a moron for not doing it, but we are really going to send another non-violent person to jail?

    He did not hurt anyone. He was not committing a crime like robbing anyone or trying to kill anyone. It just seems we try to put more and more non violent people in jail. I guess that is what happens when you make jail a for profit business in a lot of places.

    I do not get all the degrees either. Should it not just be charged with possession of unregistered firearm and that's that?

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,864

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Not only was he not committing a crime but he has a right to own the gun screw New York's registration laws, if he took this past state court he would win and their law would be struck down.

  14. #10
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,063

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not only was he not committing a crime but he has a right to own the gun screw New York's registration laws, if he took this past state court he would win and their law would be struck down.
    No, he doesn't. Unless you're one of those 2nd amendment people that thinks everyone has unlimited gun freedom, in which case a 3 year old girl can carry a gun.

    He was committing a crime by owning a gun not registered to him. Period. Millions of New Yorkers understand this, but apparently New York athletes think they're above it. He knew the law, he broke the law, and he deserves his punishment same as everyone else. If he wanted to have a gun, he should have had it registered.

    Don't like it? He was more than free to sign with a team in Texas.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-25-2014 at 04:32 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,063

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is it so hard to just register the firearm? Is it the whole the government will take my guns mentality? The guy is a moron for not doing it, but we are really going to send another non-violent person to jail?

    He did not hurt anyone. He was not committing a crime like robbing anyone or trying to kill anyone. It just seems we try to put more and more non violent people in jail. I guess that is what happens when you make jail a for profit business in a lot of places.

    I do not get all the degrees either. Should it not just be charged with possession of unregistered firearm and that's that?
    ...and in New York, that's a felony. Ask Plaxico.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-25-2014 at 04:37 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  18. #12
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,077

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    How did he break the law? Felton's wife's attorney brought in the gun, said it belonged to Raymond, and they charged him for unlawful possession. Raymond didn't make any comments to the police about the charges, so unless there's something else out there, he'll walk.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  19. #13
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,063

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How did he break the law? Felton's wife's attorney brought in the gun, said it belonged to Raymond, and they charged him for unlawful possession. Raymond didn't make any comments to the police about the charges, so unless there's something else out there, he'll walk.
    He broke the law by owning the gun. If he's in a position to deny ownership, he hasn't done so.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  20. #14
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,077

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He broke the law by owning the gun. If he's in a position to deny ownership, he hasn't done so.
    There's no proof that he "owned" the gun, is what I'm saying. A, possibily, vindictive soon-to-be-ex-wife's accusation isn't evidence of a crime. There's no reason to make any comments to the police about it. It's their job to prove the charges, not your job to disprove them.

    Probably should be holding off on declaring that someone broke the law, when only charges have been brought, especially when the reporting on how the charges were filed are flimsy at best.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  22. #15
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,063

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's no proof that he "owned" the gun, is what I'm saying. A, possibily, vindictive soon-to-be-ex-wife's accusation isn't evidence of a crime. There's no reason to make any comments to the police about it. It's their job to prove the charges, not your job to disprove them.

    Probably should be holding off on declaring that someone broke the law, when only charges have been brought, especially when the reporting on how the charges were filed are flimsy at best.
    If he walks, he walks. But this doesn't seem like something that's going to be dropped.

    His ex is a law student. Been she and her lawyer, I'm thinking they have something that links Felton to the gun, aside from her testimony.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-25-2014 at 04:55 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  23. #16
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,077

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    With what's being reported, it doesn't sound like anything at all. I can only imagine the amount of charges they'd need to file for people, if a simple accusation is all it takes.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  24. #17
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,063

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With what's being reported, it doesn't sound like anything at all. I can only imagine the amount of charges they'd need to file for people, if a simple accusation is all it takes.
    His ex said he threatened her with a firearm that wasn't even registered, then handed the gun over. Again, I think as a law student she's well aware of what's required to have him charged.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  26. #18
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,600

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His ex said he threatened her with a firearm that wasn't even registered, then handed the gun over. Again, I think as a law student she's well aware of what's required to have him charged.
    What is required to have someone charged is a long way from what is required to have someone convicted.

    I'd hope that for a felony more than just someone's statement and an unregistered gun would be required. Not saying it doesn't exist, but on the face of it it seems pretty flimsy.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  28. #19

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hell hath no fury....

    If you're regularly doing something illegal, probably best not to get divorced, at least not **** off your ex on the way out.


    Yeah. Word has it this "snitch" move stems from Raymond getting his "sidechick" (the other woman) preggers. Hell Hath No Fury indeed.

  29. #20

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    This seems really out of character for Felton, we'll see. Hell hath no fury indeed.

  30. #21
    Member Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,864

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, he doesn't. Unless you're one of those 2nd amendment people that thinks everyone has unlimited gun freedom, in which case a 3 year old girl can carry a gun.

    He was committing a crime by owning a gun not registered to him. Period. Millions of New Yorkers understand this, but apparently New York athletes think they're above it. He knew the law, he broke the law, and he deserves his punishment same as everyone else. If he wanted to have a gun, he should have had it registered.

    Don't like it? He was more than free to sign with a team in Texas.
    While I dont think 3 year olds have the right to own a gun I do think any adult who has no felonies has a right to own it, I also think they have the right to political speech and to be protected from unreasonable search and seizure. I know that makes me a terrorist these days but the fact of the matter is if you have the right to keep and bear arms they cant arrest you for KEEPING a gun, they might have a law but I am saying that law is unconstitutional and if I were him I would take it all the way to the supreme court and he would win.

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:


  32. #22
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,063

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I dont think 3 year olds have the right to own a gun I do think any adult who has no felonies has a right to own it, I also think they have the right to political speech and to be protected from unreasonable search and seizure. I know that makes me a terrorist these days but the fact of the matter is if you have the right to keep and bear arms they cant arrest you for KEEPING a gun, they might have a law but I am saying that law is unconstitutional and if I were him I would take it all the way to the supreme court and he would win.

    Really? Show me where in the constitution it says a 5 year old girl can't own a gun? Or felons? I mean it just says it applies to "people," right? Children are people. Felons are people.

    We have gun control laws in This country. Saying anyone should have the right to keep any gun they want at any time is the same as saying gun laws and gun registration itself is unconstitutional. The Supreme Court is not going to strike down a law that says you have to register your firearm. The entire argument is silly.

    And no, your argument doesn't make you a terrorist. It just makes you a very poor choice to argue the other side of this.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-25-2014 at 06:04 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  33. #23

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Wait, so I can bring an unregistered gun into the police station and say someone threatened me with it and that person will be arrested? If it's unregistered, how can anyone prove he owned it?
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

  34. #24
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,063

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait, so I can bring an unregistered gun into the police station and say someone threatened me with it and that person will be arrested? If it's unregistered, how can anyone prove he owned it?
    If you're his wife? Yeah, probably.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  35. #25

    Default Re: Knicks Raymond Felton arrested on weapons charges

    Knicks guard Raymond Felton was arraigned in court Tuesday on felony gun charges, he is being charged with 2 counts of weapons possession. He posted $25,000 bail, was ordered a 6 month order of protection from his wife and is to reappear in court June 2.
    According to Ian Begley of ESPN NY:

    Felton was issued a six-month order of protection from his wife and bail was set at $25,000. Bail has been posted and there are no legal restrictions on his ability travel.
    Court was adjourned in Felton’s case until June 2, at which point grand jury action may take place.

    http://www.beyondthebuzzer.com/2014/...-court-june-2/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •