Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What schools have you been going into
    Apparently the only school on earth where homosexuality is "indoctrinated"....

I hear the parties are absolutely fabulous, and it's the best dressed school around.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-24-2014 at 09:29 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    You really think kids need to be told that the only sure-fire way to avoid the complications and consequences of sex is to not have sex?

I mean, there's no harm in that, but really?
    If you are listing birth control methods, you put in abstinence. Leaving it out is providing incomplete information. Not talking about it is providing incomplete information.

And, yes, I think emphasizing that abstinence is the only sure-fire way of avoiding complications when you're dealing with kids at an age where they tend to think exceptions don't apply to them is vital.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I have seen the materials myself so don't tell me...

just by doin a quick search

http://groundspark.org/download/IE_Guide_08_Final.pdf

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/05...chool-parents/

excerpt:

A group of parents in a California school district say they are being bullied by school administrators into accepting a new curriculum that addresses bullying, respect and acceptance -- and that includes compulsory lessons about the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community that will be taught to children as young as 5 years old.

http://www.massresistance.org/media/...inwashing.html
    Where does it say anything about teaching them about "butthumping" (Your words, not mine)? Like it or not the story of gay rights will be taught to kids just in the same way other minority rights movements are part of the history books.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My 5th grade sex ed class was the most laughable piece of crap in the world. I still remember it to this day because of how funny it was. They separated boys and girls into separate rooms and then we watched a video from probably 1980 which was 75% about the story of a boy having his first wet dream.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    My 5th grade sex ed class was the most laughable piece of crap in the world. I still remember it to this day because of how funny it was. They separated boys and girls into separate rooms and then we watched a video from probably 1980 which was 75% about the story of a boy having his first wet dream.
    I want to say 5th grade but it might have been 4th. They put this poor child actor through all these various scenarios/questions that any pre teen boy might be confronted with, but it is just impossible for a room of 10-11 year old boys to take that stuff seriously.

I'll give them credit, though. 20 years later I still remember it and it still cracks me up. I bet you could put out a compliation various "first sex ed" experiences and it'd be a best seller.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-24-2014 at 09:54 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I agree with nearly everything but I think you are discarding abstinence because of abstinence-ONLY "education".

I do NOT believe in "abstinence-ONLY" sexual education. However, I DO believe that we fail if we don't at least let kids know that abstinence is the only form of birth control that is 100% effective. EVERY OTHER TOOL has failure rates, and when they are old enough to assess those risks they should already know about them.

Failing to talk openly about abstinence is as much of a disservice to pre-teens as failing to talk openly about any other form of birth control.

I agree. Abstinence should be taught as it is the only way to be 100% sure you do not catch anything, get pregnant or knock someone up. It should be just be taught right along with condoms, birth control and other sex ed topics. It should be taught it is ok and that they should not feel pressured to do it because they want to prove they love someone or they are "cool." The problem is when you have people who want just abstinence taught and put their rose colored glasses on and think every teen is going to go ok and never have sex. At some point we have to stop being naive and remember when we were young. Kids are going to do stuff and make decisions that can impact their lives forever. We just have to ensure that we give them all the tools to make a good decision.

I would love for parents to be the ones in charge of this, but many parents fail to ever address it because it is an uncomfortable topic or they believe that telling them not to have sex is enough of a talk. I never really had "the talk" growing up and I was pretty much figuring things out on my own or through the sex ed class.

Collins is brave. It may not be in the same style as a soldier who heads off to battle, but it is brave to be who you are and stand up for what you believe in the face people who dislike you for who you are. When you have groups like Westboro Baptist Church who spews hate because of what the Bible teaches them or people running around saying we can fix you because you are broken then it does take a lot to say I am who I am.

I mean heck people get up in arms because a school wants to teach other kids not to be douches to each other because they are different. Yet, these parents would be the first to whine if their kid got bullied because they picked a haircut that made their kid look different and started getting bullied.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    [/B]

I agree. Abstinence should be taught as it is the only way to be 100% sure you do not catch anything, get pregnant or knock someone up. It should be just be taught right along with condoms, birth control and other sex ed topics. It should be taught it is ok and that they should not feel pressured to do it because they want to prove they love someone or they are "cool." The problem is when you have people who want just abstinence taught and put their rose colored glasses on and think every teen is going to go ok and never have sex. At some point we have to stop being naive and remember when we were young. Kids are going to do stuff and make decisions that can impact their lives forever. We just have to ensure that we give them all the tools to make a good decision.

I would love for parents to be the ones in charge of this, but many parents fail to ever address it because it is an uncomfortable topic or they believe that telling them not to have sex is enough of a talk. I never really had "the talk" growing up and I was pretty much figuring things out on my own or through the sex ed class.
    This is a far better interpretation.

I never had "the talk" either, so I also see the importance in schools being able to fill that void.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-24-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Btw, when this thread gets locked the relevant parts should get moved to the market square as a public school sex ed thread. There's plenty of merit here.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-24-2014 at 10:02 AM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

I almost closed this before I went to bed because it was starting to come off the rails, and it looks like not long after I shut my eyes it went way off the rails. Nothing wrong with having these discussions, but this just isn't the place to do it AFAIC.

If y'all feel this strongly about going round and round about this, feel free to start a new thread on Market Square, and we'll keep an eye on it from there. You can post a link to this thread so newcomers can play catch up on what's already been said.