Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 159

Thread: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

  1. #51

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably because this guy has been out of commission for the past couple of years and now he comes out and he gets signed. I doubt he would've otherwise if it was based on basketball skill alone.
    He was in the league last year. He's been out of commission for fifty games.

  2. #52
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,931

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably because this guy has been out of commission for the past couple of years and now he comes out and he gets signed. I doubt he would've otherwise if it was based on basketball skill alone.


    Yes sports breakdown barriers and provided social commentary but that's usually the secondary story because the players/teams involved were too talented to be ignored and primarily judged on that. I feel in this case its the reverse he's only getting recognition more for his sexual orientation and not for his basketball talent.

    Real progress will be made when him or any player being openly gay isn't the main storyline.

    Its like when Tony Dungy was the first black coach to win the SB that was a big storyline but when Mike Tomlin did that with the Steelers he was just like any other coach.

    That to me was progress.
    He's been out the last couple of years? Uh....no, he played last season for Boston.

    And yes he came out....what, 6 months ago? Yeah, he got signed now, generally when older vets do get signed by playoff teams, after the trade deadline.

    Out of curiosity, do you carefully scrutinize every team's 10-day signees over whether or not they were deserving of that contract, or just this one? Amazingly you've been on PD for 6 years now, yet I don't recall your heart bleeding for any other fringe free agent signees before this one.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-23-2014 at 06:56 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  4. #53
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean before he came out Jason Collins couldn't really buy his way into the league the past couple of seasons.
    Why would you need to buy your way into the league when teams are paying you to play in it?

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:


  6. #54
    Born ready? TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Probably because this guy has been out of commission for the past couple of years and now he comes out and he gets signed. I doubt he would've otherwise if it was based on basketball skill alone.


    Yes sports breakdown barriers and provided social commentary but that's usually the secondary story because the players/teams involved were too talented to be ignored and primarily judged on that. I feel in this case its the reverse he's only getting recognition more for his sexual orientation and not for his basketball talent.

    Real progress will be made when him or any player being openly gay isn't the main storyline.

    Its like when Tony Dungy was the first black coach to win the SB that was a big storyline but when Mike Tomlin did that with the Steelers he was just like any other coach.

    That to me was progress.
    He played and started some games last season so it's not like he's been out of the league 2+ years. He's odviously not a very good player but he's a tough vet, who provides size and interior D. It's not like the pool of FA bigs is so alluring that Collins isn't deserving of a 10 day signing based on skill alone.

    You have to start somewhere to get to the "real" progress...
    Last edited by TheDavisBrothers; 02-23-2014 at 06:58 PM.

  7. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if the NBA will retire his #35 league wide like baseball did with Jackie Robinson's 42? Someday down the line, Kevin Durant might be the last player grandfathered in with the #35, just like Mariano Rivera was with Jackie Robinson's #42.
    I honestly have no idea whether or not this is sarcasm. You seem to be a reasonably bright guy, so I'm guessing it is.

  8. #56
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,063

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Honestly, I think Jason Collins at this point is every bit as good as Kendrick Perkins. Which is not a compliment or an insult. He's a big body who can walk, chew gum, and play defense. That's his value. The Nets needed such a presence in their frontcourt and he has a familiarity with KG and Pierce. It makes sense basketball wise.

  9. #57

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would you need to buy your way into the league when teams are paying you to play in it?

    Its an expression(a poorly worded one apparently) that he wasn't really considered a big deal as far as a signing because he wasn't that good but because he comes out and is signed its a big deal?

    I get why it would be a big deal for some people and I'm trying not to minimize that but giving this dude a 10 day contract just screams PR stunt more than they're serious about him as a player. And I doubt someone who was considered a scrub a year ago would be making national news for being signed had he not come out.

    Who knows maybe he'll give the Nets a reason to extend his stay beyond the 10 day contract but I'd be surprised.

  10. #58
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,931

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good for Collins, good for the NBA, good for sports. Only downside is how I have to hear people tell me aggressively how they don't care that there's a gay NBA player.
    This.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  11. #59
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,586

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance George View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly have no idea whether or not this is sarcasm. You seem to be a reasonably bright guy, so I'm guessing it is.
    It was sarcasm to the max.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  13. #60
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,931

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its an expression(a poorly worded one apparently) that he wasn't really considered a big deal as far as a signing because he wasn't that good but because he comes out and is signed its a big deal?

    I get why it would be a big deal for some people and I'm trying not to minimize that but giving this dude a 10 day contract just screams PR stunt more than they're serious about him as a player. And I doubt someone who was considered a scrub a year ago would be making national news for being signed had he not come out.
    Given that their biggest need is exactly what Jason Collins brings, this is ridiculous.

    And yes, it is national news. The nets get some good PR for it, and good for them.

    Maybe if this was taken care of a decade ago, nobody would be talking about this today.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  14. #61
    Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,263
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    He already played in the league and then he came out....so he already is the 1st openly gay player to play in the NBA before this contract. I know at the time he wasn't out of the closet, but once he did come out, he automatically became the 1st openly gay NBA player. It's not like he just turned gay 6 months ago.

  15. #62
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,141

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good for Collins, good for the NBA, good for sports. Only downside is how I have to hear people tell me aggressively how they don't care that there's a gay NBA player.
    The reaction is more along the lines of Miley Cyrus being on Yahoo "news" every time she bends over. The only reason there are 3 pages in this thread is because we are arguing over whether it's news...not because it IS news.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  17. #63

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's been out the last couple of years? Uh....no, he played last season for Boston.

    And yes he came out....what, 6 months ago? Yeah, he got signed now, generally when older vets do get signed by playoff teams, after the trade deadline.

    Out of curiosity, do you carefully scrutinize every team's 10-day signees over whether or not they were deserving of that contract, or just this one? Amazingly you've been on PD for 6 years now, yet I don't recall your heart bleeding for any other fringe free agent signees before this one.

    And how many of these 10 day signings warrant a PC like Jason Collins did? That's the thing people talk about how this shouldn't be considered a big deal its just basketball except its not being treated as basketball but a PR stunt. Its not like he was suddenly gay just now everyone knows. His skill set to me anyways isn't impressive enough to warrant this attention.

    If it were just a regular 10 day signing it would be treated like everyone else a mere blurb on the NBA section of ESPN like Sasha Vujacic signing a 10 day contract with the Clippers and cut afterwards and I think he was a better player than Jason Collins was in the NBA.

    I don't know why it bothers you when I criticize his lack of basketball talent I mean its no different than saying I don't think Tim Tebow is a good NFL QB. It doesn't mean I have an issue with him being a devout Christian. Yet that's far more accepting of a criticism than saying Jason Collins isn't a very good basketball player.

  18. #64
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,931

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And how many of these 10 day signings warrant a PC like Jason Collins did? That's the thing people talk about how this shouldn't be considered a big deal its just basketball except its not being treated as basketball but a PR stunt. Its not like he was suddenly gay just now everyone knows. His skill set to me anyways isn't impressive enough to warrant this attention.

    If it were just a regular 10 day signing it would be treated like everyone else a mere blurb on the NBA section of ESPN like Sasha Vujacic signing a 10 day contract with the Clippers and cut afterwards and I think he was a better player than Jason Collins was in the NBA.

    I don't know why it bothers you when I criticize his lack of basketball talent I mean its no different than saying I don't think Tim Tebow is a good NFL QB. It doesn't mean I have an issue with him being a devout Christian. Yet that's far more accepting of a criticism than saying Jason Collins isn't a very good basketball player.
    That must be how Collins lasted 12 years in his profession like Tebow did...you know, the gayness.

    Jason Collins can get a contact for 12 straight seasons on his own merits, but if he plays 13, it's because he's gay. Gotcha.

    I'm with you when you say this is only news because he's gay. Comparing him to Tim Tebow is just idiotic. Last I checked Christians have been allowed in the nfl for a while now, and Tebow hasn't proven himself as a professional for over a decade.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-23-2014 at 09:03 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  19. #65
    The Mole ColeTheMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    551

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    If they signed him just because he's gay regardless of basketball talent, I'm coming out tomorrow.
    DG for 3

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post:


  21. #66

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I don't know why it bothers you when I criticize his lack of basketball talent.
    Its bothersome first of all because it's factually wrong. You're saying that Collins is not a good enough player to be in the league if he wasn't gay. So what that means is that being openly gay HELPS you get a job in professional sports. If that were the case, why is he the only openly gay athlete in major sports history?

    If Jason Collins was not gay, do you think he would have a job on an NBA team?

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  23. #67

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they signed him just because he's gay regardless of basketball talent, I'm coming out tomorrow.
    I came out today and I already got a raise and a supermodel girlfriend and a brand news sports car. Being gay is the best thing in the world.

  24. #68

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    If Jason Collins was not gay, do you think he would have a job on an NBA team?
    The guy averages a couple points per game I don't know about you but that isn't very good to most people. The only thing he really had going for him athletic wise is that he's 7 ft tall and can pickup fouls. So can any D-Leaguer but nobody is touting them right now are they?

    No I don't think at this point in his career he would have a job if he didn't come out. I mean who was really checking for him after the Celtics dumped him? Then a few months ago he came out and now he's been signed to a team albeit for a 10 day contract.

    The season is almost over and the Nets who have proven to be a total disappointment and have been told as such by the media. The Nets decided to go with someone they know since Big Baby went elsewhere and well has a good PR angle going for him(Nets make history with an openly gay player) and for a few days the NBA gets more coverage than the NFL and the Nets are known as being a progressive team rather than an epic fail on the court.

    And that will take up most of the headlines rather than the fact that Jason Collins isn't that good a player and wouldn't warrant a press conference over a 10 day contract had he not come out as an openly gay man.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Comparing him to Tim Tebow is just idiotic. Last I checked Christians have been allowed in the nfl for a while now, and Tebow hasn't proven himself as a professional for over a decade.

    And gays weren't? Just because they didn't admit it doesn't mean they weren't playing in the NFL or any other sport. My point with the Tebow comparison is people resented the excessive coverage over him because he was this devout Christian and was open about it but not that great an NFL QB(despite having a great college career). His religion was more of a focal point than his play.

    I don't see a difference with Jason Collins here in that regard where him being gay is more of a focal point than his play.
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 02-23-2014 at 09:29 PM.

  25. #69

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The guy averages a couple points per game I don't know about you but that isn't very good to most people. The only thing he really had going for him athletic wise is that he's 7 ft tall and can pickup fouls. So can any D-Leaguer but nobody is touting them right now are they?

    No I don't think at this point in his career he would have a job if he didn't come out. I mean who was really checking for him after the Celtics dumped him? Then a few months ago he came out and now he's been signed to a team albeit for a 10 day contract.

    The season is almost over and the Nets who have proven to be a total disappointment and have been told as such by the media. The Nets decided to go with someone they know since Big Baby went elsewhere and well has a good PR angle going for him(Nets make history with an openly gay player) and for a few days the NBA gets more coverage than the NFL and the Nets are known as being a progressive team rather than an epic fail on the court.

    And that will take up most of the headlines rather than the fact that Jason Collins isn't that good a player and wouldn't warrant a press conference over a 10 day contract had he not come out as an openly gay man.





    And gays weren't? Just because they didn't admit it doesn't mean they weren't playing in the NFL or any other sport. My point with the Tebow comparison is people resented the excessive coverage over him because he was this devout Christian and was open about it but not that great an NFL QB(despite having a great college career). His religion was more of a focal point than his play.

    I don't see a difference with Jason Collins here in that regard where him being gay is more of a focal point than his play.
    According to Basketball Reference there are 25 players in the league this year who have averaged less than a point a game. By your logic he's more than worthy of a ten day contract. And he's a much better defender than the rest of the players on that list.

  26. #70

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Then they're scrubs too but they are solely being judged by their lack of basketball talent.

    If he goes out and plays like he's worth more than the 10 day contract that he was given more power to him.

    I just hope that's ends up being focal point and not his sexuality.

  27. #71
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,141

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Collins is just a big stiff. Butt he is good enough to be in the league.

  28. #72

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    I miss the simple days when we worried about whether or not a left-handed player should be allowed to play.

  29. #73
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,860

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Jason Collins hasn't played in over 50 games since 2008 and hasn't averaged over 2PPG since 2007. He is a career 41% field goal shooter and he is 7 feet tall. He has never averaged over 1 BPG in any season.

    He is not a good basketball player.

    Symbolically it is great, but why on earth the Nets signed him I have no idea. I honestly don't think it's because he's gay, I just think it's Jason Kidd giving a friend a job.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  30. #74

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Very likely, dozens of NBA players are gay, and very likely >5% of NBA players throughout history have been gay, considering >5% of the population is gay (though the estimate varies widely, 3% up to 10%, the Kinsey estimate).

    It's great that Jason had the courage to come out and that the Nets had the courage to consider him to fill a need on their injury-depleted bench. Will he produce more than Andrew Bynum? Maybe, though Bynum obviously has more talent when healthy.

    I don't get the anger at him for wanting to play, or the anger at the Nets for a "publicity stunt" that, for all I can see, was done for basketball reasons.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-23-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  31. #75
    Cardiac Colts khaos01207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,685
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    This thread is just starting to get a little over the top dudes...
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •