Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so you've never gotten dome?

uh you apparently don't know what you are talking about..

not the same thing, even remotely...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    How is that? I accept their equal rights but at same time I don't have to like what they do nor condone it ... that is not contradictory..
    I'm guessing it was your use of the word "condone."

con·done
    kənˈdōn/
    verb
    [COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue.
      [COLOR=#878787 !important]"the college cannot condone any behavior that involves illicit drugs"[/COLOR]
      synonyms: disregard, accept, allow, let pass, turn a blind eye to, overlook, forget;More

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    I find it fascinating that up until the 1960's, it was completely societally acceptable to separate human beings based on the color of their skin. Luckily, people realized how asinine that idea truly was and fought to change it.

You know what else people thought? Smoking did no damage to you're lungs.

You know what else people thought? The idea of creating something that could prevent you from getting a certain type of disease

The whole basis of science is that is constantly evolving......How can you possibly argue some 40 year old Scientific theory by people who clearly didn't know what they were talking about?
    Added emphasis:

Quote Originally Posted by Lance George View Post
    I find it fascinating that homosexuality was considered a mental illness up until the mid-1970's, when pressure from activists -- not scientific research -- forced it to be redefined. Perhaps scientists are right and activists are wrong. Just a thought.

I always side with the evidence (data). Sometimes scientists get it right, and sometimes they let external, unscientific factors bias their interpretation of said data. That's the unfortunate huge, gaping hole in science.
    Ok, wheres the 2014 evidence that homosexuality is a mental illness? Give me literally any reputable source.
    @qandrews9428

Added emphasis:
    Your words are not facts? Not sure why you think I can't read...

This thread is going to be locked/deleted soon anyway sooooooo....
    @qandrews9428

Lots of education happening here tonight. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sodomy

Note the third word of the first definition...

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Dude, the DSM is hardly scientific.

I thought NBA players, with Bryant, Durant, and Lebron leading the way..handled this really really well. Much better than the NFL did..

Banned
    Mood

Ok, wheres the 2014 evidence that homosexuality is a mental illness? Give me literally any reputable source.
    I don't know whether it is or not, I'm only giving some food for thought.

As for your question: The definition(s) for mental illness/disorder are dubious as they rely on a lot of subjectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by NIH
    A mental illness can be defined as a health condition that changes a person’s thinking, feelings, or behavior (or all three) and that causes the person distress and difficulty in functioning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayo Clinic
    Mental illness refers to a wide range of mental health conditions — disorders that affect your mood, thinking and behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    A mental disorder, also called a mental illness or psychiatric disorder, is a mental or behavioral pattern or anomaly that causes either suffering or an impaired ability to function in ordinary life (disability), and which is not developmentally or socially normative
    Looking at the above three definitions, I can certainly see a case being made for homosexuality being a mental disorder. If that makes me a homophobe, then so be it. Personally, I don't see why homosexuality -- or anything else -- should be considered off limits to critical thinking, although I do understand the dangers of not conforming to political correctness.
    Last edited by Lance George; 02-24-2014 at 12:02 AM.

I don't know whether it is or not, I'm only giving some food for thought.

As for your question: The definition(s) for mental illness/disorder are dubious as they rely on a lot of subjectivity.

Looking at the above three definitions, I can certainly see a case being made for homosexuality being a mental disorder.
    Those definitions apply to literally any human behavior on earth. Way too broad.
    @qandrews9428

12. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

I guess it would depend on what "edition" of whatever dictionary YOU are looking at.. and which ones are more liberal leaning... Since they always are constantly changing the meaning of words to fit whatever a word is defined as at the time of publishing... They just simply added the word "oral" in order to make the argument against sodomy backfire in the arguers face...

sorry NOT buying it
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.

Banned
    Mood

Those definitions apply to literally any human behavior on earth. Way too broad.
    Don't shoot the messenger.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In regards to this whole "story"

WHO GIVES A RAT'S BUTT??!!??

I am so sick and tired of this pushed in my face I could puke....

Oh yea , it is such a groundbreaking moment to promote an openly gay sodomite like it is the "cool" thing ...

Calgon take me away ...
    Sodomite? Are you for real? lol

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I guess it would depend on what "edition" of whatever dictionary YOU are looking at.. and which ones are more liberal leaning... Since they always are constantly changing the meaning of words to fit whatever a word is defined as at the time of publishing... They just simply added the word "oral" in order to make the argument against sodomy backfire in the arguers face...

sorry NOT buying it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy
    "Sodomy /ˈsɒdəmi/ is generally anal sex, oral sex or sexual activity between a person and a non-human animal (bestiality), but may also include any non-procreative sexual activity."

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/sodomy
    "Anal or oral intercourse between human beings, or any sexual relations between a human being and an animal, the act of which may be punishable as a criminal offense."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sodomy
    ": anal or oral copulation with a member of the same or opposite sex"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sodomy

"anal or oral copulation with a member of the opposite sex."

google.com
    "sod·om·y- sexual intercourse involving anal or oral copulation."

So, no, it's not just some liberal biased agenda...
    @qandrews9428

Don't shoot the messenger.
    It's just a dumb argument to be honest. No rational human being is arguing that homosexuality is a mental disease.
    @qandrews9428

Technically I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.

Sodomy, if we want to get technical about it, includes any sexual act that is not procreative. So his questions, however crass, is technically accurate.

Sadly you walked into it by believing that sodomy is only referring to a sexual act that would be inherently homosexual in nature.

Annnnyway, I can sense this thread getting closed very soon.

Also, I think calling Jason Collins or any homosexual a sodomite is pretty freaking homophobic especially since you're definitely not doing it as a compliment and also don't understand the full definition of the word.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Technically I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.

Sodomy, if we want to get technical about it, includes any sexual act that is not procreative. So his questions, however crass, is technically accurate.

Sadly you walked into it by believing that sodomy is only referring to a sexual act that would be inherently homosexual in nature.

Annnnyway, I can sense this thread getting closed very soon.

Also, I think calling Jason Collins or any homosexual a sodomite is pretty freaking homophobic especially since you're definitely not doing it as a compliment and also don't understand the full definition of the word.
    But he believes in equality!
    @qandrews9428

This is a solid section of Jason Gay's article from the WSJ.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...390943942.html

That's the basketball part. Let's assess the history here. I think the signing of Jason Collins is history. To be truthful, I'm not super-interested hearing in a crabby chorus from the Who Cares crowd—whenever you engage on a topic like Jason Collins, you inevitably hear from the Who Cares crowd. I know the people who chirp Who Cares like to position this Who Cares as evidence of some sort of ultra-detached free thinking, but saying Who Cares about something like Jason Collins signing with an NBA team sounds a lot more like a socially acceptable way of diminishing the news, stripping Collins of his due and a genuine moment of its joy. Who Cares doesn't sound like an honest rendering of this event or its impact. It sounds like being a crank. This is not to say that everyone needs to be excited or jumping up and down because the Nets have signed Collins to a 10-day contract. But it is to say that some people will find true inspiration in this moment. Just because something is not meaningful to you doesn't mean it's not meaningful.

Jason Collins to the Nets is a big deal. Don't let anyone pooh-pooh its big deal-ness. Also: Since when have we become so calm and restrained about what we consider huge news? This country thinks it's a big deal we can binge-watch an entire season of "House of Cards" over the weekend. There are cable networks that break into actual news with fake news about teenage popbot Justin Bieber getting pulled over in his canary-colored lovemobile. I'm perfectly OK—thrilled—with the idea of the first openly gay person in the history of major U.S. professional sports being categorized as a big deal. I'm OK with it getting a banner headline on the websites and news crawls.
    @qandrews9428

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

sorry NOT buying it
    LOL Those liberal dictionaries, ruining our damn country.

Is Merriam Webster conservative enough for you? http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sodomy

Conform, conform damnit...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's not this one , it is the constant media love-fest with the whole gay agenda...

I believe to each their own, and everyone should have the same rights... But , if I don't like something I consider to be abhorrent (sp?) and sickening , I am forced to have to either like it , or keep my mouth shut for fear of persecution of being considered a homophobe.. And sorry I won't condone sodomy in any form, nor promote it..
    It's a free country dude. We still have guys walking around in white hoods that we don't arrest so long as they aren't specifically harassing anyone. Nobody's forcing you to "like" anything. Believe it or not, you're not being persecuted here.

FYI, what you just said was blatantly homophobic. Have you ever heard or read anyone refer to you as "abhorrent" or "sickening?" How would you interpret that? I'm guessing you'd find it pretty hateful.

But that's okay, we have those too in this country.

Civil rights. It's a *****.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-24-2014 at 01:26 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

no I am NOT afraid of gays lmao.. I don't even dislike them...matter of fact I have a family member who is ... but I DO dislike their behavior.. and yes I find their sexual behavior "SICKENING AND ABHORRENT" .......... BEHAVIOR..... stop putting words in my mouth, I said BEHAVIOR... you don't like it lump it ...... since it seems I have to "lump it" by hearing all this praise for all these brave souls who come out the closet ...

And yes, when our kids are being taught in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL , for instance, how 2 guys butt humping each other is a perfectly A-OK and it is A-OK for them to "experiment" .. YEA SICKENING AND ABHORRENT BEHAVIOR..... Have you seen the stuff they are teaching kids as early as 1st and 2nd grade in some of these schools? Sorry , but tolerance AND ABSTINENCE should be taught ............NOT a how-to guide in indoctrinating young children in the ways of homosexuality...
    Last edited by Kemo; 02-24-2014 at 02:16 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Do you often call people you don't dislike "abhorrent" and "sickening? Their behavior is part of who they are. That's how they are wired. You can't really separate the two. I'm not into that kind of thing, but I'm not into a lot of things other people are, and I've never felt the need to be that emphatic about my dislike for someone else's preference.

There's no secret gay school where kids go to be converted into homosexuals. Either you're born that way or you aren't. Nobody is trying to convert children like its some sort of cult. Even if there was, you can't "convince" someone that they're gay any more than you "convince" a gay guy that he should be straight. Would a gay 2nd grade teacher be wrong if he pushed his sexuality on children? Obviously. Just like a straight teacher would. There are a lot of dishonorable teachers out there. I don't think gays corner the market.

This story about the infestation of gay teachers pushing their gayness on young children is totally out of left field, btw. You referenced exactly none of that in your earlier generalization.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-24-2014 at 01:55 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

I nominate this thread be closed, because this is getting real ugly real fast... And I am not gonna sit here and entertain nor concede the notion that type of behavior or lifestyle , should be something that should be praised .. Love the sinner hate the sin remember that from the Bible? oh, I must be in the minority here who actually read and believe in such things... my bad..

if their behavior is such I will say their behavior/actions are sure.... and I have

I have seen the materials myself so don't tell me...

just by doin a quick search

http://groundspark.org/download/IE_Guide_08_Final.pdf

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/05...chool-parents/

excerpt:

A group of parents in a California school district say they are being bullied by school administrators into accepting a new curriculum that addresses bullying, respect and acceptance -- and that includes compulsory lessons about the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community that will be taught to children as young as 5 years old.

http://www.massresistance.org/media/...inwashing.html
    Last edited by Kemo; 02-24-2014 at 01:50 AM.