Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 159

Thread: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Am I the only one that remembers he wasn't a good player to begin with?

    http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/23/jas...nets-per-espn/


    Jason Collins Reportedly Close to Signing with Nets per ESPN



    Jason Collins is on the verge of making NBA history. ESPNís Ramon Shelburne tweets that the Brooklyn Nets will sign Collins to a 10-day contract before tonightís game vs. the Lakers in Los Angeles. If and when he plays for the Nets, heíll become the first openly gay player to participate in an NBA game. Collins make national headlines when he came out in April.


    Before it becomes official, Glen Davis needs to sign with the Clippers according to Yahooís Adrian Wojnarowski.


    Obviously this is a developing situation and will be huge news if it comes to fruition as quickly as tonight, especially on heels of the Michael Sam news earlier this month.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,186

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    It's a groundbreaking moment. He's going to be the first openly gay active athlete in the 4 major professional sports. That's a big deal. It's interesting that the team with the Russian owner signed him.

    They signed him for the right reasons too. They needed a big man to replace Reggie Evans, they went after a better player (Glen Davis), and signed Collins when he went elsewhere. And it's only for 10 days too.
    UncleBuck:

    "See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,064

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a groundbreaking moment. He's going to be the first openly gay active athlete in the 4 major professional sports. That's a big deal. It's interesting that the team with the Russian owner signed him.

    They signed him for the right reasons too. They needed a big man to replace Reggie Evans, they went after a better player (Glen Davis), and signed Collins when he went elsewhere. And it's only for 10 days too.
    Is that what all of the fuss is about? Talk about something stupid to make a big fuss about. It isn't like it was illegal for him to play and/or start in the NBA as a gay dude prior to just recently. Can we please move on, and worry about important stuff. Not whether or not someone is gay. It is their personal life, and none of anyone else's business.

  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was going to make a joke, but I realized things are so sensitive now it would probably be mistaken for homophobia, so I won't.
    Unless he's developed a jumper, he's no threat to stretch Roy out in a first round matchup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that what all of the fuss is about? Talk about something stupid to make a big fuss about. It isn't like it was illegal for him to play and/or start in the NBA as a gay dude prior to just recently. Can we please move on, and worry about important stuff. Not whether or not someone is gay. It is their personal life, and none of anyone else's business.
    This is oversimplifying it, and downplays the amount of progress this is. There is reason to believe, for example, that Kerry Rhodes was blackballed from the NFL because of the rumor that he was gay. That was last season.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,064

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is oversimplifying it, and downplays the amount of progress this is. There is reason to believe, for example, that Kerry Rhodes was blackballed from the NFL because of the rumor that he was gay. That was last season.

    It isn't an oversimplification at all. This isn't the Catholic church making a gay man Pope. This is a basketball team signing a basketball player.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It isn't an oversimplification at all. This isn't the Catholic church making a gay man Pope. This is a basketball team signing a basketball player.
    OK, then what are hundreds of us doing wasting our lives on this message board about just a basketball team?

    (Don't answer that.)



    edit: Is there technically a rule against the Pope being gay? Doesn't he just have to be celibate, either way?
    Last edited by dal9; 02-23-2014 at 03:00 PM.

  12. #7
    Member rabid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It isn't an oversimplification at all. This isn't the Catholic church making a gay man Pope. This is a basketball team signing a basketball player.
    So when Jackie Robinson signed with the Brooklyn Dodgers, I guess it was no big deal because it was just a baseball player signing with a baseball team? Um, ok.

    (I'm not equating Jason Collins' situation with Jackie Robinson, just pointing out the flaw in your logic)

  13. #8
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It isn't an oversimplification at all. This isn't the Catholic church making a gay man Pope. This is a basketball team signing a basketball player.
    Well, it's a sign of the normalization of homosexuality within mainstream culture and, more importantly, a segment of mainstream culture generally hostile toward homosexuality. It's a big deal.

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,184
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Why is this news worthy? So what he's gay, why is homosexuality more of a sin than fornication, adultery, lying, stealing, using profane language, lusting? Seriously our world is so messed up. WE ARE ALL SINNERS. We should not as GOD's children pass judgement on another person.

    John 8:7
    King James Version (KJV)
    7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

    Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,186

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that what all of the fuss is about? Talk about something stupid to make a big fuss about. It isn't like it was illegal for him to play and/or start in the NBA as a gay dude prior to just recently. Can we please move on, and worry about important stuff. Not whether or not someone is gay. It is their personal life, and none of anyone else's business.


    Then why wasn't there a separate thread made when Arinze Onuaku signed a 10 day contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers Saturday? Or when Hilton Armstrong signed a 10 day contract with the Golden State Warriors Saturday? Or when Dexter Pittman signed a 10 day contract with the Atlanta Hawks Saturday? Why a separate thread for Collins but not for any of those players?

    Allow me to answer: It's because he's the first active openly gay player in the 4 major professional sports. Eventually, no one will care. We're not there yet, but we're close. And that's great.
    UncleBuck:

    "See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Or when Dexter Pittman signed a 10 day contract with the Atlanta Hawks Saturday?
    What?! F that guy. I thought that bum was out of the league for good.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,186

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What?! F that guy. I thought that bum was out of the league for good.
    You're right. Maybe the Pittman signing deserved it's own thread.
    UncleBuck:

    "See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

  22. #13
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,293

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eventually, no one will care. We're not there yet, but we're close. And that's great.
    I suppose somebody must care. Really, more than anything it's odd that anyone cares now. Back in the late 1980's this would be huge news. In the 1990's it would be big news. But since 2000, I don't think so.

    It wasn't big news when John Amaechi jumped out of the closet. Only difference is he was recently retired. Seriously, this is odd particularly since we've all known Jason Collins is gay. That by itself is quite old news.

  23. #14

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    That's not true what about Britney Griner? Although since its WNBA I guess it doesn't count.

    But I feel this is a PR stunt more than a basketball decision on the Nets part not that he's actually any good considering he averages 3 points a game and is what 35 years old.

    Had he not come out would he have been signed? I don't think so. Good for him though.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  25. #15

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers




    yeah, I'm scared

  26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  27. #16

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote



    yeah, I'm scared
    Damn, how the hell are we going to handle Jason Collins?

  28. #17
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    I was going to make a joke, but I realized things are so sensitive now it would probably be mistaken for homophobia, so I won't.

    Anyway, this is a significant moment, and I'm glad to see it happening.

  29. #18

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this is a significant moment
    If you don't want the thread to go there I get it, but is it? I feel like the media'll make a big thing of it but no one actually cares. Same deal with the Michael Sam story, he said he hasn't fielded a single question about it from the teams interviewing him at the combine. It's just all media sensationalism.

  30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  31. #19
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,073

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you don't want the thread to go there I get it, but is it? I feel like the media'll make a big thing of it but no one actually cares. Same deal with the Michael Sam story, he said he hasn't fielded a single question about it from the teams interviewing him at the combine. It's just all media sensationalism.
    You do realize that players were asked about their sexual preference at last year's combine, right? Sam simply answered it preemptively.

    Of course no team was going to ask him about it at the combine after it already became national news. Any team that did would get killed in the media

    If nobody truly "cared," it wouldn't have taken a century for an active pro male athlete to come out of the closet.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-23-2014 at 04:57 PM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  33. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was going to make a joke, but I realized things are so sensitive now it would probably be mistaken for homophobia, so I won't.

    Anyway, this is a significant moment, and I'm glad to see it happening.
    If it involves Reggie Evans and Chris Kaman, then the same thought crossed my mind the moment I saw they'd signed him to replace Evans.

  34. #21
    Member BenR1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Fredonia, NY
    Posts
    1,360

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    All I really care about concerning Jason Collins is what he does on the basketball court. The biggest story here for me is how the Nets are seriously lacking depth at the center position.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:


  36. #22
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    I don't think JC is a bad player, just a specific role player who can box out, guard back-to-the-basket centers, set screens, and provide a veteran presence in the locker room.

    I think it's supposed to be a big moment for LGBTQ people, not for straight people. This is too OT, but the non-queer people being dismissive are as annoying as the non-queer people jumping to take ownership of it, at least on the interwebs.

  37. #23

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    I guess for me the difference is you couldn't hide being black like you could other things there were gay players before in various sports we didn't know about it till after the fact(see John Amaechi). Regardless for me the issue is that Jason Collins is a scrub who wouldn't warrant attention otherwise.

    Jackie Robinson was a great player regardless of the color of his skin.

  38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  39. #24
    Member rabid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,465

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess for me the difference is you couldn't hide being black like you could other things there were gay players before in various sports we didn't know about it till after the fact(see John Amaechi). Regardless for me the issue is that Jason Collins is a scrub who wouldn't warrant attention otherwise.

    Jackie Robinson was a great player regardless of the color of his skin.
    You're focusing too much on the individual player here, and the team's motivation. Who cares if Collins is a scrub? In fact who cares if it's a publicity move? For people who are gay, or who have friends/loved ones who are gay, or who just generally feel that gay people should be able to live out in the open without fear of discrimination, this is a big deal. Whether or not Brooklyn is doing this as a publicity move (I don't agree, what do they really have to gain) doesn't change the fact that a confused young closeted gay kid somewhere in the U.S can now look at the NBA and say "hey I can grow up someday and play in the NBA too."

    Who gives a crap about the PR aspect of it, we're talking human equality here.

  40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:


  41. #25

    Default Re: Jason Collins about to sign 10 day contract with Nets expected to start tonight vs Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're focusing too much on the individual player here, and the team's motivation. Who cares if Collins is a scrub? In fact who cares if it's a publicity move?
    I care because there are more talented players out there that don't have the same name recognition aren't getting a shot because a team wants to cash in on some good publicity especially with all the high expectations they had for the season only to be rather disappointing.

    Having this takes some of that heat away from them.

    But its a 10 day contract so in the end it will be a blink and you'll miss move. If he gets more than 10 days here I'll be surprised considering he's not that good. Its just that this whole thing screams politics to me rather than basketball talent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •