Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doug Collins praises Evan Turner as he heads to Indy

Default Doug Collins praises Evan Turner as he heads to Indy

Thoughts on Turner from Doug Collins. Collins coached Turner for 3 years in Philly. From Brunos blog:
    http://blogs.1070thefan.com/2014/02/...e-with-pacers/

“They have more talent,” Collins, now an ESPN analyst, said in a phone interview Friday afternoon. “Any time you upgrade your talent base, it’s like in real estate they say location, location, location; in professional sport it’s talent, talent, talent.”

Collins coached the Sixers for Turner’s first three NBA seasons. Though the two had an occasionally tempestuous relationship, Collins had nothing but good things to say about the former No. 2 overall pick from Ohio State.

“They got a really, really good all-around basketball player,” Collins said. “I had the pleasure to coach him for three years. I watched him grow every year. He is a big-time competitor – a tough, tough competitor – and he is a winner.

“I know it was a very difficult time for him to be going through the rebuild. For him now to get to a winning situation, I think he’s going to thrive. I think Frank Vogel will be a great coach for him, I think he will be great for their team. He’s a great teammate. He will stand up for his teammates.”

The Pacers gave up Danny Granger and a future second-round pick to acquire Turner and Lavoy Allen from the Sixers just before the NBA trade deadline Thursday. With the second unit struggling for scoring punch, Turner is expected to fill the vacated sixth man role.

They signed Bynum, who bounced from the Sixers to the Cavs to the Bulls before signing with the Pacers on Feb. 1, for the remainder of the season in hopes he can provide quality backup minutes behind Roy Hibbert.

Though some analysts are skeptical Turner will thrive in the Pacers’ slower-paced offense, Collins believes the player, coach and team are a perfect fit.

“People forget, when I went back to Philadelphia that team had won 27 games and we went plus-14 that year (2010-11) and Evan was a huge part of a rotation on the perimeter that had Andre Iguodala, Jrue Holiday, Lou Williams, Jodie Meeks and himself,” he said. “He’s used to playing winning basketball and having very good teammates with him.

“I think it got lost a little bit because so much was put on him this year with the rebuild and all they were doing in Philadelphia but this is a guy who played 28 minutes a night on a team that was three minutes away from being in the conference finals (in 2012). And Evan was a huge part of that.”

Turner does have a sensitive side, and Collins said it will be important for the Pacers to make him feel wanted and needed. He also has a tendency to get down on himself if he makes mistakes or struggles to score.

“The one thing about Evan is he is a little hard on himself,” he said. “He’s such a perfectionist and he’s such a competitor, it was one thing I always talked to him about: you’re going to make some mistakes along the way, just play through those. As he got older, he got much, much better at doing that. The Pacers got themselves a really good player.”

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Doug Collins praises Evan Turner as he heads to Indy

I felt this deserved to be its own thread as opposed to being on Page N of the Granger to Philly thread, so I split it off.

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good to hear. Lets face it, Turner does not need to be Kobe Bryant to be an upgrade over the way Granger has been playing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good to hear. Lets face it, Turner does not need to be Kobe Bryant to be an upgrade over the way Granger has been playing.
    As much as a lot of us had emotional ties to Granger being on the team, he had been downright horrible since FINALLY returning. Turner is easily an upgrade right now and anyone who thinks otherwise is thinking with their heart, not their brain.
    Grown Man Ball

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

They said during tonight's game that David West called Thad Matta to get the 411 on Evan Turner. Thad coached West at Xavier and Turner at Ohio State. Just thought that was interesting. Sounds like West is interested in keeping the team chemistry together.

10. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

we really need some good player from him off the bench, Scola is struggling which is causing Watson to struggle as well. If Turner can score and create some looks for both of them we will be in really good shape

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

My only fear is that for some reason players come to our bench from other NBA teams, and then they die or dwindle. It really makes me wonder if it's what the coaches are telling them, but I don't know.

If ET becomes the latest skeleton on the pile, I'm going to really start wondering.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    My only fear is that for some reason players come to our bench from other NBA teams, and then they die or dwindle. It really makes me wonder if it's what the coaches are telling them, but I don't know.

If ET becomes the latest skeleton on the pile, I'm going to really start wondering.
    Do they though? Watson has done about as expected, scola just doesn't get minutes. Green I can see, but I think thats more him needing a unstructured system that flows a bit more than ours. Barbosa was good iirc. Scola is hurt but I loved him before he hurt the elbow.

Crossing my fingers for et bynum and lavoy.
    Goodbye Captain, My Captain. I wish you had the chance to sink or swim with your ship on its quest for the "ship".

16. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

“The one thing about Evan is he is a little hard on himself,” he said. “He’s such a perfectionist and he’s such a competitor, it was one thing I always talked to him about: you’re going to make some mistakes along the way, just play through those. As he got older, he got much, much better at doing that. The Pacers got themselves a really good player.”

Coach Suzy Sunshine will get his head right!

Post Re: Doug Collins praises Evan Turner as he heads to Indy

CJ is just missing shots and in some cases, doesn't take many. He hit 6 3 pointers versus the Bobcats earlier in the season. But you also have to remember, our bench has no post player. Scola is not a post player, and Ian cannot score in the post. Hence why adding Bynum makes sense. We can play inside out. That opens up better opportunities for everyone else. We also have no one in our second unit who can stretch the floor when Cope isn't playing.

Scola took 7 shots last night and only hit 2. Rasual took 10, and only hit 3. CJ Took 2 shots. Ian who can't shoot, was 3 of 4. Dunks. We just need better shooters from the bench. Here's a vid of Lavoy Allen versus Denver last month....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv0G7LmMOJE

The guy has range. You put him on the floor in the second unit with Cope, Bynum, Watson, and Turner. We have shooters. A post presence, and guys who can stretch the floor give us a lot of new offensive opportunities. LaVoy also moves better than Scola. He's far quicker, more athletic. And with him and Bynum (or for now Ian) on the floor.....it gives us two shot blockers off the bench instead of 1.

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Do they though? Watson has done about as expected, scola just doesn't get minutes. Green I can see, but I think thats more him needing a unstructured system that flows a bit more than ours. Barbosa was good iirc. Scola is hurt but I loved him before he hurt the elbow.

Crossing my fingers for et bynum and lavoy.
    I feel that players that have excelled other places, have struggled when coming off the bench for the pacers. Barbosa, Green, Augustin, Scola has been bad for about 2 months, Watson has been inconsistent at best, and Copeland looks like a shell of what he was last year.

And I don't think it has anything with coming off the bench either. All of these players have demonstrated the ability to be productive while coming off the bench elsewhere. If Turner struggles coming off the bench here then at some point we have to figure it's more than just a coincidence.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I feel that players that have excelled other places, have struggled when coming off the bench for the pacers. Barbosa, Green, Augustin, Scola has been bad for about 2 months, Watson has been inconsistent at best, and Copeland looks like a shell of what he was last year.

And I don't think it has anything with coming off the bench either. All of these players have demonstrated the ability to be productive while coming off the bench elsewhere. If Turner struggles coming off the bench here then at some point we have to figure it's more than just a coincidence.
    How does Copeland look like a shell of his former self? He hardly plays

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Barbosa didn't struggle really. He won us two games in that playoffs series versus Miami. Attacking the basket. He just turned the ball over a lot. DJ was on a 1 year deal. Maybe he just didn't care as much? But he did hit some key shots for us in games last season. DJ has also been bounced around this season. Remember he was with the Raptors this season? Didn't do much for them. They waived him. He's now looking great in Chicago, but he's got a chip on his shoulder now. He's been with three teams in the last season and a half.

Different motivation. Scola was great at the start of the season, but his elbow is bothering him apparently. But also, he's not a quick-a-foot player. Teams are just getting up on him. Gerald Green I think flourishes in Phoenix because they play no defense. He has a lot of energy to expend at the offensive end when he is not playing that hard on the defensive end. He's also starting now because of Bledsoe's injury. He wasn't a starter here.

"Turner, get over here! I know you were good in Philadelphia, but this is Indiana! Start playing like crap! There's a reason you are a bench player, you know!"

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    How does Copeland look like a shell of his former self? He hardly plays
    Very true. I guess I figured with our bench struggling at different times throughout the year, Copeland would be able to crack the rotation if Vogel thought he was up to it.

Very true. I guess I figured with our bench struggling at different times throughout the year, Copeland would be able to crack the rotation if Vogel thought he was up to it.
    Probably it's just the thing where the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team, but Copeland has looked legit every time I've seen him play. Can he shut down Bosh? No. But how much better will Scola do?

Bucks announcers said Scola will get it together by playoff time. Let's hope.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Probably it's just the thing where the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team, but Copeland has looked legit every time I've seen him play. Can he shut down Bosh? No. But how much better will Scola do?

Bucks announcers said Scola will get it together by playoff time. Let's hope.

Copeland just needs to get a hand in Boshes face on the perimeter. But Bosh won't be able to chase Copeland off screens and around that 3 point line. We have an advantage if Cope is out there. Cope had a good game versus Minny. Got to the line twice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Barbosa didn't struggle really. He won us two games in that playoffs series versus Miami. Attacking the basket. He just turned the ball over a lot. DJ was on a 1 year deal. Maybe he just didn't care as much? But he did hit some key shots for us in games last season. DJ has also been bounced around this season. Remember he was with the Raptors this season? Didn't do much for them. They waived him. He's now looking great in Chicago, but he's got a chip on his shoulder now. He's been with three teams in the last season and a half.

Different motivation. Scola was great at the start of the season, but his elbow is bothering him apparently. But also, he's not a quick-a-foot player. Teams are just getting up on him. Gerald Green I think flourishes in Phoenix because they play no defense. He has a lot of energy to expend at the offensive end when he is not playing that hard on the defensive end. He's also starting now because of Bledsoe's injury. He wasn't a starter here.
    I don't remember Barbosa winning us any games in the playoffs, esp against the Heat (we only won two games in that series anyways). Barbosa shot 40% for us in the regular season, and 37% in the playoffs. This is after shooting 45% in Toronto.

Green excelled coming off the bench for the Nets the year before coming to the Pacers, and was coming off the bench until Bledsoe got hurt (like you mentioned) Obviously Green struggled here because he needed to be in a more wide open offensive system, but Turner has excelled while playing in an up-tempo system in Philadelphia as well.

There can be all types of reasons as to why bench players have struggled for us, but it doesn't negate the fact that it's been an option for a few years. I don't think it's out of the question to wonder if he'll be able to do what no other bench player has been able to do for us the past few years--be a consistent offensive option while our starters rest.

I don't remember Barbosa winning us any games in the playoffs, esp against the Heat (we only won two games in that series anyways). Barbosa shot 40% for us in the regular season, and 37% in the playoffs. This is after shooting 45% in Toronto.

Green excelled coming off the bench for the Nets the year before coming to the Pacers, and was coming off the bench until Bledsoe got hurt (like you mentioned) Obviously Green struggled here because he needed to be in a more wide open offensive system, but Turner has excelled while playing in an up-tempo system in Philadelphia as well.

There can be all types of reasons as to why bench players have struggled for us, but it doesn't negate the fact that it's been an option for a few years. I don't think it's out of the question to wonder if he'll be able to do what no other bench player has been able to do for us the past few years--be a consistent offensive option while our starters rest.

The Nets didn't play any defense either. And they were terrible. Sometimes players flourish with bad teams. I also think none of those guys had enough time to learn our system. DJ was here for 1 season. Gerald too. Barbosa just half a season.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For those in the know with our cap situation, what are some realistic scenarios in which we keep Turner in the offseason, outside of the obvious (Lance walks)?

Quote Originally Posted by Lance George View Post
    For those in the know with our cap situation, what are some realistic scenarios in which we keep Turner in the offseason, outside of the obvious (Lance walks)?
    Short answer, none. Unless he [or Lance] signs for the minimum.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Barbosa played great for us, but sprained his ankle right before the playoffs started and never played very good again.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

This was good to hear. If Turner can just give us some life and playmaking from the second unit, we'll be in good shape. He doesn't need to set the world on fire. As for the bench, I think Watson has been rock solid all year, and Scola was scorching with his shot earlier but has since hit a slump. I'm not sure if that's a result of the elbow or just a slump, but I guess we'll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance George View Post
    If we cut Scola and go with Cope as our backup 4, then Turner and Lance would have to split the 14 or so million that we have available. Doesn't seem likely.

Frank already getting all lovey dovey with Evan

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods