Thread: NFL may impose 15 yard penalties for racial slurs on the field

Default NFL may impose 15 yard penalties for racial slurs on the field

Don't think this will end well

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-on-the-field/

NFL may impose 15-yard penalties for racial slurs on the field

The NFL may implement a new rule this offseason calling for 15-yard penalties for any players who use racial slurs on the field.

John Wooten, head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, told CBS Sports that he expects the league to make it an automatic 15-yard penalty if a player uses the N-word on the field, and an automatic ejection for a player who does it twice.

“I will be totally shocked if the competition committee does not uphold us on what we’re trying to do,” Wooten said. “We want this word to be policed from the parking lot to the equipment room to the locker room. Secretaries, PR people, whoever, we want it eliminated completely and want it policed everywhere.”

Wooten’s comments were strictly about the N-word, but if the NFL is going to implement this rule, other racial slurs would presumably be included as well, along with slurs that are homophobic, sexist or religious in nature.

However, the NFL may find such a rule tougher for its officials to implement than it sounds. Would the NFL provide every player, coach and official with a list of words that can’t be used? And who would determine which words make the list? Some slurs may be considered offensive in some contexts but not in others. Members of a racial or ethnic groups sometimes use slurs among themselves, with no offense intended or taken. If one black player uses the N-word toward another black player, and a white official hears it and throws a penalty flag, that may open a can of worms the NFL would rather avoid.

And, of course, not everyone agrees on what constitutes a racial slur. Some people consider “Redskins” a racial slur. If the NFL is so concerned about policing use of offensive words, why is one of its teams using a name that many people find offensive?

Despite all the potential problems with the rule, it wouldn’t be surprising to see the NFL implement it. The investigation into the bullying in the Dolphins’ locker room, which revealed that racial slurs were frequently used by players, made the NFL look bad. Cracking down on racial slurs could be an opportunity for the NFL to make a positive stand. Or it could turn out to be a big mess.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NFL may impose 15 yard penalties for racial slurs on the field

Geeze, enforce this rule and every drive would begin from the 1.

Trying to kill football i see

Sports Logo

Between this and the Harbaugh to Cleveland thing someone's getting trolled

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

no ref will ever enforce this rule if they approve it. can you imagine one trying to?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pretty soon the Redskins will be forced to forfeit games when they show up in their uniforms.

This is quite simply the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Fans don't want to see games decided by something they can't see or hear. Pretty soon NFL training camps are going to be more about sensitivity training than they are preparing for football. Teams will soon start spending more time learning how to deal with a gay teammate than they will learning the new offense.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty soon the Redskins will be forced to forfeit games when they show up in their uniforms.

This is quite simply the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Fans don't want to see games decided by something they can't see or hear. Pretty soon NFL training camps are going to be more about sensitivity training than they are preparing for football. Teams will soon start spending more time learning how to deal with a gay teammate than they will learning the new offense.
    Just follows the same pattern the NFL has embraced in recent years: make everything except the competition on the field the center of the show, especially the referees and whatever social issue is hot at the time. If it wasn't for the Colts I wouldn't follow the NFL at all.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    no ref will ever enforce this rule if they approve it. can you imagine one trying to?
    As a white guy myself, I don't care what the written rules are, I would be 100% uncomfortable telling a black man whether or not he can say the "n word" or penalizing him for doing so.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-locker-room/

Ryan Clark: Rooney wanted the N-word out of our locker room

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 23, 2014, 8:49 PM EST
    Pittsburgh Steelers v Cincinnati Bengals
    Getty Images
    The NFL is considering throwing penalty flags on players who use the N-word on the field. At least one team owner is also telling players he doesn’t want them using the N-word at the team facility.

Steelers safety Ryan Clark said on ESPN on Sunday that Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney made it known last season that he didn’t want to hear the N-word in the locker room, either spoken by members of the team or in music played in the locker room.

“Mr. Rooney actually talked to Ike Taylor about it this season. Ike and Mr. Rooney have a very good relationship,” Clark said. “He told Ike, ‘I don’t want you guys using that word.’”

Although in some cases it might not seem like a white man’s place to tell a mostly black group of men not to use the N-word, Clark said that there’s so much respect among the players for Rooney, a former U.S. ambassador to Ireland whose commitment to diversity is reflected in the Rooney Rule that bears his name, that Clark said the black players on the team were willing to comply.

“Ike went around to specific people and said, ‘Listen, this is what Mr. Rooney told me.’ He’s the ambassador. We call him Old Man Rooney. He has a lot of respect, and because of the way he has treated us as players, as black athletes, also treated Coach Tomlin as a black coach, you know it’s coming from a place of love,” Clark said.

However, Clark said that while players initially respected Rooney’s request, it didn’t last.

“You stopped hearing it immediately that day,” Clark said. “But after a while it came back because it’s the culture. After a while it comes back because this is what these guys have grown up with.”

If the NFL is serious about stopping players from using the N-word, the league may find exactly what Clark described: It sounds like a good idea in theory, but it’s easier said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

This is why I had to laugh when I heard about this potential rule. It will not be ok to use the n word, but it is ok for a team to be called Redskins? So racial slurs are bad, but what about gay slurs? It will not be ok for someone to call a guy the n word, but it is ok to call them a gay slur? This just seems like a rule that will just never be enforced.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Wouldn't this rule somewhat risk a Tim Donaghy situation in the NFL? I mean, a ref could "hear" a slur at any time and its not like it could really be proven or not since cameras don't always get a great view of the player's face. Even then its the word of the official vs. the word of the player and the player will probably win out?

Or, maybe the call would be reviewable. "The call on the field stands. Video evidence and expert lip reader analysis confirms the tip of the players tongue touched the roof of his mouth, indicating the "n" word was said. Replay first down."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

I don't think its going to be enforced I think this is all lip service on the NFL's part they did nothing to Riley Cooper for using the N-word why start now?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

How about the lineman who stands up, points across the line, and screams he said.........
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Not a big deal at all to me.

First off... I'm fine with trying to keep the on field language from that level. I mean it isn't exactly like you can go into your day job and say it without impunity. And most of us probably make far less $$$ than an NFL player so I don't see why that level of pay shouldn't include at least the same level of decorum. That said, I'm not sure about the 15 yard penalty. I'm thinking if the ref catches a player making racial slurs then note it and send the infraction to the league and let them levy a $$ penalty. Of course if it happens within the course of something that would get flagged (like a punch or whatever) then of course normal flag rules would apply (personal foul, unsportsmanlike conduct) but you'd still note the language and turn the infraction into the league to levy a fine against that player.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

The saddest part for me is that these men use the N-word like it's no big deal, and they continue to say it's ok for black people to use it and not white. Maybe it's not for me to say, but do they not realize the connotation of that word when looking at just recent history. It was only 50 years ago that they fought in this country against racial segregation. It feels like incredible disrespect for your ancestors and for those who fought for civil rights. Some of the older black football players have said as much as well. It's sad, I guess.

But I'm not sure how they police this in the lockerrooms and football field
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    The saddest part for me is that these men use the N-word like it's no big deal, and they continue to say it's ok for black people to use it and not white. Maybe it's not for me to say, but do they not realize the connotation of that word when looking at just recent history. It was only 50 years ago that they fought in this country against racial segregation. It feels like incredible disrespect for your ancestors and for those who fought for civil rights. Some of the older black football players have said as much as well. It's sad, I guess.

But I'm not sure how they police this in the lockerrooms and football field
    This isn't an uncommon phenomena. A lot of times when one group comes up with some kind of insult towards another the "insulted" group takes the word and runs with it using it almost as a badge of honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This isn't an uncommon phenomena. A lot of times when one group comes up with some kind of insult towards another the "insulted" group takes the word and runs with it using it almost as a badge of honor.
    Examples Please?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm really not in favor of anyone using the word, black or white. It's too much of a can of worms, and there's no good to come from it. I'm not exactly saying it needs to be penalized or banned... but the word represents, at it's core, nothing good, and there's really no reason that it continues to be used. Banning/penalizing is a pretty strong way, but people in general would just be better served eliminating it from their everyday use. I never use the word myself, I scold white folks who use it in a negative light, I don't promote it with the black folks I know. It's just not worth it. It's time to move on and focus on building good things, that word isn't a part of that.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-07-2014 at 02:25 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Examples Please?
    First two to come to mind are geek and nerd.

It's obviously a hideous word that has no place in a civilized society, but I'm just not a big fan of the idea that a bunch of billionaire white owners can tell a league that is 70% black how they can use that word. Let's face it, virtually all of the uses of that word on the field are bound to be from one African American to another. I don't think there are white players using it on the field unless they want to get their a** kicked. Should a bunch of elitist white owners sitting in their box tell African Americans how they should talk to fellow African Americans when most of them have had such drastically different life experiences? Besides, I'm just tired of the NFL constantly trying to act like the morality chief of the land. Just go out there and play some football. No one wants to see the AFC Championship Game decided by a "15 yard penalty - racial slur" flag.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: