Thread: According to a report Jim Harbaugh was nearly traded from 49ers to Browns

Default According to a report Jim Harbaugh was nearly traded from 49ers to Browns

I'm taking this with a huge grain of salt here... the combine has a ton of stories that come out every year.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/02/21/jim-har...veland-browns/

Jim Harbaugh nearly traded from 49ers to Browns, according to report

The Cleveland Browns and San Francisco 49ers nearly pulled off a blockbuster trade recently that would have sent Jim Harbaugh to Cleveland in exchange for draft picks, Pro Football Talk reported. According to Mike Florio, the deal “was in place between the teams”; Harbaugh nixed it to stay with San Francisco.

Cleveland then hired ex-Buffalo defensive coordinator Mike Pettine.

“The team conducted an extensive coaching search, and explored several options,” the Browns said in a statement Friday. “That search produced an outstanding head coach in Mike Pettine and we’re excited about his future with the club.”

The NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported that a 49ers source called the report “completely false. Ridiculous.”

Harbaugh’s current contract situation is hovering over the 49ers’ offseason a bit. He’s currently through three seasons of the five-year, $25 million deal he signed prior to 2011, but the two sides reportedly have discussed an extension. Harbaugh said in December that he “absolutely” wants to remain in San Francisco.

However, final say over the roster currently rests with GM Trent Baalke, a dynamic with which Harbaugh reportedly may not be all that thrilled. According to CSNBayArea, the 49ers also gave Harbaugh permission last offseason to seek his own endorsement deals up to $1 million.

The Browns hold two first-round picks in the 2014 draft: Nos. 4 and 26 overall. Though terms of the proposed Harbaugh deal were not released, it stands to reason that at least one and possibly both of those picks could have headed San Francisco’s way in exchange for its head coach.

Suffice it to say, had the trade gone through, it would have been a stunning moment in NFL history. The only previous coach trade occurred in 2002, when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed Jon Gruden away from the Oakland Raiders in exchange for two first-round picks, two second-round picks and $8 million. Gruden then led the Buccaneers to a Super Bowl victory — over the Raiders, no less — the subsequent season.

For as much as the Browns’ statement stands out for its lack of a denial, that this potential trade reportedly reached the point of simply needing Harbaugh’s go-ahead hardly stands as a glowing endorsement of his future in San Francisco. After winning the NFC title in 2012 and taking the 49ers back to the conference title game in 2013, Harbaugh hardly could be considered on the hot seat. The lingering contract talks and perhaps that complicated relationship with Baalke pushed the 49ers to explore such a possibility.

Throughout Cleveland’s lengthy coaching search, there was chatter about the possibility of at least one “mystery” candidate for the position. At one point in January, the team reportedly interviewed Greg Schiano, a development that at least temporarily appeared to solve that puzzle.

The truth, it turns out, ran much deeper than that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: According to a report Jim Harbaugh was nearly traded from 49ers to Browns

Well that's......weird. Florio has great sources and Mort is now jumping on it too, so I'd say there's likely quite a it of truth to this.

What the hell is San Francisco's problem? Remind me how they were doing before Harbaugh arrived. That once proud franchise had sunk into complete irrelevancy for quite a few years. All Harbaugh has done since taking over in 2011 is make the NFC Title game EVERY SEASON, including a Super Bowl appearance in 2012.

Why are the 49ers trying to low ball this guy in contract talks? He should be paid like a top tier coach because he is a top tier coach.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: According to a report Jim Harbaugh was nearly traded from 49ers to Browns

San Fran promised more cake so he stayed.

Even the previous 49ers owner thinks that Harbaugh shouldn't be lowballed but the last 3 SB champs beat the 49ers to win it all ownership probably doesn't think he's worth it unless he actually wins one.

That being said I find it hard to believe Harbaugh would want to join the Browns of all teams where he would have to face his brother twice a season.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Yeah I don't see why he would want to join the Browns when he could name his ticket to some premier jobs. The Dallas and New York jobs will inevitably be open at some point in the near future. Imagine if he could revive the Cowboys like he did the Niners.

If he thinks that York is difficult what makes you think he wants to work with Jerry Jones?

The Giants might be a better option the NY media would love to have him and Rex in the same city

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well that's......weird. Florio has great sources and Mort is now jumping on it too, so I'd say there's likely quite a it of truth to this.

What the hell is San Francisco's problem? Remind me how they were doing before Harbaugh arrived. That once proud franchise had sunk into complete irrelevancy for quite a few years. All Harbaugh has done since taking over in 2011 is make the NFC Title game EVERY SEASON, including a Super Bowl appearance in 2012.

Why are the 49ers trying to low ball this guy in contract talks? He should be paid like a top tier coach because he is a top tier coach.
    Ian Rapoport called Florio out on this one, saying he had 49ers guys denying it. Florio shot back saying "how come they won't go on record then?" shortly followed by Jed York, CEO of the 49ers, chiming in, "is this on the record? Report isn't true"
    https://twitter.com/JedYork/status/437001873011142656

Found it funny.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...room/#comments

Report: Jim Harbaugh’s “act has worn thin” in the 49ers locker room

At this rate, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh’s infamous “who’s got it better than us?” victory cry eventually may become a “who hasn’t got it better than us?” lament.

With most of the last nine days devoted to a dissection of the dysfunction between Harbaugh and 49ers G.M. Trent Baalke, Ann Killion of the San Francisco Chronicle identifies a new front in the organizational battlefield.

“One source with inside knowledge of the team says that Harbaugh’s act has worn thin in the locker room,” Killion writes, “particularly among some key ‘face of the 49ers’ type players. While the team is winning, that’s not a problem. But a few losses could expose a widening rift.”

No specific players are mentioned, but the obvious candidates are linebacker Patrick Willis, defensive lineman Justin Smith, running back Frank Gore, receiver Michael Crabtree, tight end Vernon Davis, and/or quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Speaking of the team’s hot-and-cold franchise quarterback, another source explained to Killion that there’s no real link between the Harbaugh-Baalke disconnect and the team’s inability to return to the Super Bowl this past season. “‘If Jim and Trent have a beer together, it’s not going to make Kap throw the ball four inches higher,’” the source said, referring to the intercepted pass from Kaepernick to Crabtree at the end of the most recent NFC title game, the second straight year that the failure of quarterback and receiver to deliver in crunch time ended a postseason run.

As a result, the shelf-life between Harbaugh and Baalke possibly mirrors the shelf life between Harbaugh and his players. If, as Killion points out, adversity arrives and stays, it could all implode.

Some think that, if the 49ers give Harbaugh the contract he covets, all will be well. There’s also a chance it could get worse, right away or in time.

“That’s just who Jim is,” a team source told Killion. “He’d probably like to redo his contract every year, just out of competition.”

At it’s core, that’s really the issue. Jim Harbaugh is intensely competitive.

“Jim is the greatest pure competitor, by far, that I ever met in my life,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh told Sports Illustrated in 2010. “At everything.”

Jim Harbaugh competes with everyone, about anything. It has made him wildly successful during his first three seasons as an NFL head coach, with three straight NFC title game appearances. But it could make this coming season his last one in San Francisco.

And then his competitive nature will be welcomed gladly by any of the various teams that would love to go to only one conference title game.

Cannot wait to watch the 49ers run off Harbaugh and they can revert back their losing ways like they were before him.

When you can run off a coach who has given you three straight winning seasons and Super Bowl birth after 8 straight seasons of a 8-8 or worse record you got to do it!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cannot wait to watch the 49ers run off Harbaugh and they can revert back their losing ways like they were before him.

When you can run off a coach who has given you three straight winning seasons and Super Bowl birth after 8 straight seasons of a 8-8 or worse record you got to do it!
    Agreed. Wah wah wah, the coach is intense and rides us too hard. Would that franchise rather make the NFC title game every year and appear in the Super Bowl, or would they rather be irrelevant like they were for the decade before 4 showed up and cleaned that mess up? Yes the cat is intense, but he wins.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...ork/?eref=sihp

There are a lot of rumors about Jim Harbaugh these days. He was almost traded to the Cleveland Browns. He wants more money. He wants more power. He will leave the San Francisco 49ers after the upcoming season, one year before his contract expires.

I asked Harbaugh about these rumors. Let's start with the last one first. Can he envision a scenario in which he leaves the 49ers before his contract expires?

"No," Harbaugh said. "Zero opportunity or chance of that in my mind."
    Harbaugh said he would not negotiate in the media. Instead, our conversation was something of an anti-negotiation. He talked about all the things people think he wants.

"I see all these reports about how I want to be the highest-paid coach in football," Harbaugh said. "They presume I covet some kind of extension. I have never said to anybody that I want to be the highest-paid coach in football. I have never said that to anybody -- my wife, my brother, my dad. I make plenty of money.

"The other one is that I want more power. I have never said that, nor do I want any more power than I have. I coach the team. I've told my owner I don't want any more power. I want to coach the team. And I've never told anybody else otherwise."

The 49ers have been wildly successful in Harbaugh's three years: conference championship game, Super Bowl, conference championship game. The last team to repeatedly come so close to winning a Super Bowl without actually winning one was the Buffalo Bills two decades ago. The 49ers have done it with a straightforward front office structure. General manager Trent Baalke gets final say in the draft room. Harbaugh's voice is heard, but Baalke ultimately makes the decisions.

"Same things I signed on for when I signed on here as the coach," Harbaugh said. "That's been the structure since Day 1."

That structure is at the root of speculation about Harbaugh's future. There is a perception that Harbaugh and Baalke don't get along, and that owner Jed York will have to choose between them. Time will tell. But remember this: Some people can tolerate a higher level of creative tension than others, and what some see as an untenable situation, others see as a productive working relationship.

"We're both demanding and we want to be accountable for ourselves, for each other," Harbaugh said. "If you haven't had a brother, you probably don't understand the relationship between the GM and the head coach. We're partners on the same team. I have great respect for him. He works extremely hard at it and is very good at it. We are all part of a team. I believe in the structure we have. I don't want to change anything that we do in that regard."

As for reports that Baalke and Harbaugh barely communicate, Harbaugh said "we talk daily, hourly." (He was actually in a meeting with Baalke and others before we talked.)

I asked Harbaugh if he would like a hybrid general manager/coach role, and he said "No. I've never wanted more power. We have a great organization. Everybody in our organization works their tails off and does a very good job. Everybody does a little and adds it up to a lot."

There is no doubt that Harbaugh is demanding. Most football coaches are, and all of the great ones are. But if you think he will be unhappy without a contract extension this season, you need to understand Harbaugh is always comfortable betting on himself. His self-image is built on being underestimated and getting the job done anyway, not on having the highest salary. Most of his demands are likely to be in the name of winning, not fattening his wallet. Those khaki pants are cheap, you know.

"I have never been a guy that wants to get extensions," he says. "If the guy at the top is getting extensions every year or two, it sends everybody else to the water cooler. The reason is, in any kind of budget, you have so much money for coaches. At some point it comes down to a pool of money for the coaches. When I started out, I was making $5 million. You run back for an extension, it shrinks the pool."

When is the right time to talk about an extension?

"I don't know," Harbaugh says. "What I do know is this: I make plenty of money. And I don't do five times as much work as any other coach on the staff. I get paid extremely well. Jed York has always been square dealing with me. I don't think about that as an issue ... I've seen it written like fact: 'Harbaugh wants to be the highest paid coach in football', or 'desperately covets a new contract'. For the record: I make plenty of money. I mean, plenty of money.'"

In our conversation, Harbaugh did lobby for more money -- but not for himself. He said defensive coordinator Vic Fangio deserves a raise as part of an extension.

"He has not had a raise since he's been here. Focus on that."

Harbaugh also pointed out that he has two years left on his contract, and as he said, he sees "zero" chance of leaving before it's up. That means he and the 49ers have two years to negotiate an extension. Whatever you say about this situation, you can't say it is urgent.

"It's a principle to me that you never negotiate contracts in the press," he said. "It doesn't benefit anybody to do it publicly. I'm making this exception in talking to you right now and saying I'm not trying to get more money for myself. But I make plenty of money. I have plenty of security. If we have the highest-paid assistant coaches in football, the best coaches in football, I strive for that. Guilty as charged there."

The speculation about Harbaugh's future has simmered for a while, but it reached a boil when Pro Football Talk reported recently that the Browns attempted to acquire him. You can't fault the Browns for asking. But it seems relevant that the 49ers were not interested, and neither was Harbaugh.
    "There was never any opportunity to leave the San Francisco 49ers," he says. "If that existed, it existed in somebody else's mind, not mine. I am too fond of my team, the players, the coaches. I really feel like we have one of the best, if not the best organizations in football."

He said that repeatedly: He loves working for the 49ers. Also, to be clear about this, in case there is any confusion, Harbaugh did not sound agitated. He was just answering the questions I asked.

The speculation about Harbaugh may persist -- that is part of sports and part of the media culture. A lot of people have opinions about the situation. Now you know Harbaugh's.

Guess that article forgot about the Eagles going to 3 NFC champs and a Super Bowl in four years...

Harbaugh isn't going anywhere. Media is probably over blowing things. I'm sure he tries for a pay raise, especially since he has some leverage for one. But that doesn't mean he will leave SF if he doesn't get it.