Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: what is our new lineup and rotation?

Default Re: what is our new lineup and rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I fully expect that we'd be going with a 9 man rotation of GH/Lance/PG24/West/Hibbert/Turner/CJ/Mahinmi and some combination of Scola OR Copeland....but not both.
    If Scola's elbow on his shooting arm is really an issue, then he should be benched while he gets it treated. Let Allen or Cope take his minutes so he can be good by playoff time.

Cope
    Turner
    Ian
    Lance
    CJ

Allen
    Cope
    Ian
    Turner
    Lance

Sports Logo

I was touching on this in the other Thread and wanted to discuss it more here. Looking at the top 5 lineups that Vogel uses:

http://www.82games.com/1314/1314IND2.HTM

1 ) G.Hill-Stephenson-George-West-Hibbert - 940 Total # of minutes on the floor
    2 ) Watson-Stephenson-Granger-Scola-Mahinmi - 171 Total # of minutes on the floor
    3 ) Watson-Stephenson-George-West-Hibbert - 77.7 Total # of minutes on the floor
    4 ) G.Hill-George-Granger-West-Hibbert - 77.3 Total # of minutes on the floor
    5 ) Watson-Stephenson-George-Scola-Hibbert - 55.4 Total # of minutes on the floor
    6 ) G.Hill-Stephenson-George-Scola-Hibbert - 47.8 Total # of minutes on the floor
    7 ) Watson-George-Granger-Scola-Mahinmi - 47.7 Total # of minutes on the floor
    8 ) G.Hill-Stephenson-George-West-Mahinmi - 46.3 Total # of minutes on the floor
    9 ) G.Hill-George-Granger-Scola-Hibbert - 46.1 Total # of minutes on the floor
    10) Watson-George-Granger-Scola-Hibbert - 44.5 Total # of minutes on the floor

I wonder why West ( a far more dynamic and consistent scorer than Scola ) isn't paired more with Mahinmi. Scola can be very good at times....but he clearly is more streaky at times. Pair him with CJ...who can be streaky at times.....and you have a 2nd unit lineup that has problems scoring at times.

Sort of the same thing with Scola....he primarily plays with Mahinmi....and does get some minutes with Hibbert....but not as much as you'd think. I'd hope that we can go with more of a Scola/Hibbert lineup where Hibbert is more involved on the offensive side.

If anything....I'd like to see more mix-n-match involving West/Mahinmi and Scola/Hibbert to balance out the scoring load so that we don't see lulls in the offense when we have to start subbing in more Players. For me, at no point do I want to see only 2 of the Starters on the floor.....what we end up seeing more is that the 2nd most used lineup has only 1 Starter on the floor. I'd assume that with some creative lineup and substitutions....there should be a way of minimizing the amount of time where we have too many bench Players on the floor.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-25-2014 at 02:45 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    If Scola's elbow on his shooting arm is really an issue, then he should be benched while he gets it treated. Let Allen or Cope take his minutes so he can be good by playoff time.

Cope
    Turner
    Ian
    Lance
    CJ

Allen
    Cope
    Ian
    Turner
    Lance
    The 9 man rotation is more for the Playoffs....I have no problem running a 10 man rotation involving more of Copeland just to get him involved more in the offense during the regular season.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

The 9 man rotation is more for the Playoffs....I have no problem running a 10 man rotation involving more of Copeland just to get him involved more in the offense during the regular season.

In that case, you'd switch out Lance for CJ in lineup #2. And swap out Lance, slide Turner down to the backup SG, and slide Cope in at backup SF for lineup #1.

Sports Logo

In that case, you'd switch out Lance for CJ in lineup #2. And swap out Lance, slide Turner down to the backup SG, and slide Cope in at backup SF for lineup #1.
    Copeland doesn't seem to be a good option as a SF......I think he's much better as a backup PF to ( as you suggest ) give Scola some rest.

Copeland doesn't seem to be a good option as a SF......I think he's much better as a backup PF to ( as you suggest ) give Scola some rest.
    He's 6'8 though. I dunno. PF's are usually 6'9 or 6'10. Plus being the PF means he'd have to guard people in the post. Since SF's are normally more finesse players.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's 6'8 though. I dunno. PF's are usually 6'9 or 6'10. Plus being the PF means he'd have to guard people in the post. Since SF's are normally more finesse players.
    The days of pigeon holing guys into specific positions on the floor due to height constraints are over. At least when it comes to a 2-3 inch range. Copeland would be just fine in today's NBA, where a strong portion of the 4s don't play in the post. He's not going to be good defensively either way, but I like his chances of putting a body on a big guy in the post or trailing him to the three point line much better than I like him guarding wings who have the quickness to blow right by him.

Copeland gives us a "different flavor" at the 4 spot. Though he isn't extremely athletic, putting him at the 4 spreads the floor. He also has a bit of a foot-speed advantage against 4's as well.

When we played the Knicks last year in the playoffs, Copeland has some success against us because he was able to bring D.West out to the perimeter.

He's not going to be playing extended minutes either way (unless we replaced Scola's minutes with his own) so we may as well use him to the best of our abilities when he does play.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    The days of pigeon holing guys into specific positions on the floor due to height constraints are over. At least when it comes to a 2-3 inch range. Copeland would be just fine in today's NBA, where a strong portion of the 4s don't play in the post. He's not going to be good defensively either way, but I like his chances of putting a body on a big guy in the post or trailing him to the three point line much better than I like him guarding wings who have the quickness to blow right by him.

Interesting. Thing is though, playing him at SF is the only way to have Scola or Allen on the floor at the same time as Copeland.

Interesting. Thing is though, playing him at SF is the only way to have Scola or Allen on the floor at the same time as Copeland.
    Forget about Allen. He's a depth PF. He isn't going to play unless we have some serious injury issues.

That's the thing: With Copeland, the only way he sees rotation minutes is if he replaces Scola in the rotation. I don't see that happening (although I am on board with Anthem's idea of giving Scola some rest to heal his elbow/keep him fresh for the playoffs). I wouldn't mind seeing him play Scola's minutes in certain match ups against stretch power forwards/smaller teams. I don't think Vogel will do it, but I am interested in seeing what Copeland can do for us.

Forget about Allen. He's a depth PF. He isn't going to play unless we have some serious injury issues.

That's the thing: With Copeland, the only way he sees rotation minutes is if he replaces Scola in the rotation. I don't see that happening (although I am on board with Anthem's idea of giving Scola some rest to heal his elbow/keep him fresh for the playoffs). I wouldn't mind seeing him play Scola's minutes in certain match ups against stretch power forwards/smaller teams. I don't think Vogel will do it, but I am interested in seeing what Copeland can do for us.
    I hope LaVoy plays. He has deep range for his position. He's more athletic and can block shots, that's his advantage over Scola.

I hope LaVoy plays. He has deep range for his position. He's more athletic and can block shots, that's his advantage over Scola.
    I know, but don't get your hopes up there:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

sitionationally I do wonder if Allen could have an impact on Bosh.

I know, but don't get your hopes up there:

How many guys are you allowed to have on a playoff roster?

How many guys are you allowed to have on a playoff roster?

HMMMMM. Well, I'd make Allen and Copeland the last 2. By my count, that would leave Solo, Sloan, and Butler off the playoff Roster. I can live with that. First two don't play hardly anyways, and Rasual well, he's a vet he'll understand.

Sports Logo

We can't go in with 15 Players on the roster to the Playoffs?

If it's 12....then we're looking at:

GH / Lance / PG24 / West / Hibbert / Turner / CJ / Scola / Mahinmi / Bynum

That's 10.

Whose 11 and 12?

I'd say Copeland as 11.

Whose 12?

Butler or Sloan?

I say Butler.

We can't go in with 15 Players on the roster to the Playoffs?

If it's 12....then we're looking at:

GH / Lance / PG24 / West / Hibbert / Turner / CJ / Scola / Mahinmi / Bynum

That's 10.

Whose 11 and 12?

I'd say Copeland as 11.

Whose 12?

Butler or Sloan?

I say Butler.

LaVoy Allen. Big man, can shoot, block shots, rebound. Sloan and Sual can't do most of those things. LaVoy's size is what we need vs Miami.

BIG MEN TO THROW AT MIAMI.....

ROY
    WEST
    SCOLA
    ALLEN
    BYNUM
    IAN

^Awesome.

LaVoy Allen. Big man, can shoot, block shots, rebound. Sloan and Sual can't do most of those things. LaVoy's size is what we need vs Miami.

BIG MEN TO THROW AT MIAMI.....

ROY
    WEST
    SCOLA
    ALLEN
    BYNUM
    IAN

^Awesome.
    Do that same comparison with wing players we can throw at Miami--you know, the position where they have two of the best players in the world?

Do that same comparison with wing players we can throw at Miami--you know, the position where they have two of the best players in the world?
    We have to keep LBJ and Wade out of the paint though.

We have to keep LBJ and Wade out of the paint though.
    You aren't keeping LeBron out of the paint. Even if you are, perimeter defenders are going to do that a lot better than big men. The bigs protect the paint, and between Hibbert, Bynum, and Mahinmi, I think we have that covered about as well as any team can.

PG, Lance, and Turner will be the only wings who play in the playoffs.

Last year we only used Sam Young in the Heat series for the wing. When we have a guy of Turner's caliber there is no reason to think we'd play a 4th wing player.

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    PG, Lance, and Turner will be the only wings who play in the playoffs.

Last year we only used Sam Young in the Heat series for the wing. When we have a guy of Turner's caliber there is no reason to think we'd play a 4th wing player.
    Foul trouble. Against LBJ and Wade, I'd say that is a very real reason for having a 4th wing player on the roster.

So I am sold on Rasual Butler. I think Scola played well against the Lakers. His shot still wasn't falling but he was able to get into the post. I think a bench lineup of....

Cope
    Butler
    Ian/Bynum
    Turner
    Watson

would be interesting. Sometimes maybe experiment and play with an altered version.....

Allen
    Cope
    Ian
    Butler
    Turner

We have a lot of pieces to play with. So many different bench lineups to put out there. It's all about running the correct plays to get guys shots. I'd also be for a twin towers defense/offense lineup of.......

Ian
    PG
    Bynum
    Turner
    Hill/Lance
    Last edited by Grimp; 02-26-2014 at 02:15 PM.