Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger Appreciation Thread

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Danny Granger Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Irregardless of this being you're pet peeve, I think harping on the grammer mistakes hasn't been as affective as you hoped. Maybe your being too hard on them, because chasing them with an axe hasn't produced a desired effect.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Jake Fischer: Many around the league expect Danny Granger to sign with either the Miami Heat or San Antonio Spurs once the Sixers buy him out.[/url]

Jake Fischer: Many around the league expect Danny Granger to sign with either the Miami Heat or San Antonio Spurs once the Sixers buy him out.

If Granger goes to the Heat, I'll appreciate beating his *** and relish in the fact that he's never won a title.

If he goes to the Spurs, Clippers, Thunder, Rockets etc. I'll pull for him and want him to win a title unless it's against us.

I love Granger but if true, screw that. He can be pissed at the front office for trading him but if he was truly friends with his teammates, he'd never go to the Heat. He hated them as much as anyone and then he'd join them at the expense of his friends who had nothing to do with him being traded?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jake Fischer has no sources.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Jake Fischer has no sources.
    Good.

Like I said, I love Granger.

That would change if he chooses the Heat though.

BTW, just a note on player loyalty and when fans complain that players should be loyal to their teams, take less money to stay with their team, etc....

Remember that players should be looking out for themselves at all times, because teams aren't always going to be loyal to players, either. This is an example of that. I don't blame the Pacers one bit here; it was a no brainer deal on their part and they would've been dumb not to do it.

But hey, if teams showed as much loyalty to players as fans expect players to show their teams, Granger wouldn't have been traded. Just remember that when Lance tries to secure the best possible contract he can get for himself this summer. That's what he should do.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    BTW, just a note on player loyalty and when fans complain that players should be loyal to their teams, take less money to stay with their team, etc....

Remember that players should be looking out for themselves at all times, because teams aren't always going to be loyal to players, either. This is an example of that. I don't blame the Pacers one bit here; it was a no brainer deal on their part and they would've been dumb not to do it.

But hey, if teams showed as much loyalty to players as fans expect players to show their teams, Granger wouldn't have been traded. Just remember that when Lance tries to secure the best possible contract he can get for himself this summer. That's what he should do.
    Granger isn't signing for money though. He's signing to win. And if that's the case, you could argue that the Thunder, Spurs and Clippers have just as good of chance as winning as the Heat. At least then, he wouldn't be signing with a rival team.

And how loyal should a team be? Did Granger not collect about 30 million dollars the past 2 seasons to do nothing?

Granger shouldn't have accepted his paycheck if he expects them to be loyal. They paid him to do nothing, what else do they owe him?

You're right... it's a two way street. Players get paid what they signed for even if they under perform or aren't on the floor at all. Doesn't stop a player from collecting his paycheck even though they don't deserve it at that point. I think the Pacers had every right to make the best move for them. Loyalty?

I have no problem if Granger hates the front office. But if those players were close friends as we've always thought, why would you try to screw them in the process? Plus, Granger hates the Heat. We've seen that. Him going to the Heat would stick it to the front office but it would also be sticking it to his friends and being a hypocrite because he has a vendetta.
    Last edited by TOP; 02-21-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Good.

Like I said, I love Granger.

That would change if he chooses the Heat though.
    Who knows, he may go to Miami if he's bought out, but that jackass Fischer certainly has no better idea than you or me.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Granger isn't signing for money though. He's signing to win. And if that's the case, you could argue that the Thunder, Spurs and Clippers have just as good of chance as winning as the Heat. At least then, he wouldn't be signing with a rival team.

And how loyal should a team be? Did Granger not collect about 30 million dollars the past 2 seasons to do nothing?

Granger shouldn't have accepted his paycheck if he expects them to be loyal. They paid him to do nothing, what else do they owe him?

You're right... it's a two way street. Players get paid what they signed for even if they under perform or aren't on the floor at all. I think the Pacers had every right to make the best move for them. Loyalty?
    Pacers did the right thing and didn't owe Granger a thing.

I'm just talking about fans who think players should take less to stay with their team, or whatever (like they did when Roy was a FA and signed an offer sheet with Portland). If, for example, Granger took less money to stay with the Pacers out of loyalty when he signed that extension, he would've been an idiot, and this is an example why. He would've taken less money to be eventually shipped out from the team he showed loyalty to.

If you're saying the Pacers don't owe Granger anything after he signed that contract, you're right. And players don't owe it to teams to take less when they negotiate those contracts because of things like this that just happened to Granger. Teams are going to do what's best for them, even at the cost of loyalty...which they should. So players should do the same for themselves.

Just saying that as a precursor to this summer when people think Lance should take less money out of loyalty. He absolutely shouldn't.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You're right... it's a two way street. Players get paid what they signed for even if they under perform or aren't on the floor at all. Doesn't stop a player from collecting his paycheck even though they don't deserve it at that point. I think the Pacers had every right to make the best move for them. Loyalty?
    oh stop. the franchise he played for 9 seasons just traded him when they have a great chance to win it all to the worst team in the league. Danny can do whatever the hell he wants. And if thats sign with Miami, then sign with Miami. I'd hate to see him in a Heat uniform, but its a business.

I hate to see Danny traded. But i get the decision basketball wise. We are a better team for it. Now Danny needs to do what is best for him. If he feels that is Miami, then thats what he should do.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Evan is a friend of mine and I'm excited to have a level of access and information about the team I've been watching religiously for my whole life. It's somewhat surreal to me but today, I'll admit, I shed a tear for losing Danny.

I remember the night we drafted him. I came home a couple picks after we got him, but my brother was still standing up and excited. When I saw who was drafted we hugged and danced around the living room. Our excitement was warranted and Danny was a tremendous player for us. Imagine what a disaster this team would have been if we took Gerald Green instead?

I'll always treasure Danny Granger making the tough years bearable, and if we win a title this season, I'll always feel somewhat bad that Danny didn't get to be a part of it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    oh stop. the franchise he played for 9 seasons just traded him when they have a great chance to win it all to the worst team in the league. Danny can do whatever the hell he wants. And if thats sign with Miami, then sign with Miami. I'd hate to see him in a Heat uniform, but its a business.

I hate to see Danny traded. But i get the decision basketball wise. We are a better team for it. Now Danny needs to do what is best for him. If he feels that is Miami, then thats what he should do.
    Then good for him.

And from me if he does that, **** him.

No player is bigger than a team.

He can do whatever he wants, should I support him anyways? I'm a Titans and Vols fan, I hate Peyton Manning as a Colt but loved him as a Vol. I can separate the two. Can you? If Granger goes to the Heat, screw him. That's my appreciation for him, nothing. My choice as well.

I was glad when Peyton lost to the Seahawks after he spurned signing with the Titans. Glad he lost to the Saints also. I love the Vol part of him but I hate him as a pro.

I bet Red Sox fans love Babe Ruth. Said no Red Sox fan ever.
    Last edited by TOP; 02-21-2014 at 03:44 PM.

If he feels that is Miami, then thats what he should do.
    And I feel it's in my best interest to hope he never wins a title if he does so.

How is my opinion a problem?

I'm a fan. I cheer for the Pacers because I love them. I love the players that play for them. I hate rival teams. And if Granger chooses the Heat, I can hate him too. Good for him for making his life choice. I owe him as much as he owes the Pacers. Given last season though, he owes the Pacers about 14 million. Given his play on the court this year, he still probably shouldn't be paid. I should be a better fan than he is player?
    Last edited by TOP; 02-21-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Fischer tweeted that he is the same age as Johnny Manziel, aka a junior in college. That should say it all.

But you are saying things like, "if he was truly friends with his teammates, he'd never go to the Heat." And thats just bull ****.

I'm not saying cheer for Danny, wherever he goes. But saying "**** Danny" cause he signs with one team after we trade him away is childish. Its a business. This stuff goes both ways.

The Pacers traded Danny Granger. He didn't ask to be traded. He didn't leave in FA. Sitting there and saying things like he owes them $14 million is such a joke. Especially in the Danny Granger Appreciation thread.

Oh and insurance paid for most of Granger's salary when he was out.

There is a difference in "not owing" someone and being an ***.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh and insurance paid for most of Granger's salary when he was out.

I think insurance ONLY pays if a player has to retire because of injury. It doesn't pay for games missed even as long as he was out. I could be wrong though. Regardless Granger received said money because of the Pacers signing him to the original contract.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://instagram.com/p/ksJPepmYRz/

Danny's goodbyes after practice.
    Last edited by sportfireman; 02-21-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

I'm probably a minority here, but when Reggie "almost" signed to Boston that year they got the Big 3 together, I knew why it would suck to see him in a different uniform, but I was still all for it to see him win a ring, and I truly HATE Boston. I also hate Miami, but if Granger is there and they beat us and he wins the ring I'll be happy for him no matter what. I love Granger, after Reggie he was the only player I consistently cared for and I grew to love the guy as much as I loved Miller. I don't feel that way about anyone on this team yet, idk why. I wanted to buy a Jersey the other day and my only choice was Granger in my mind, I had no desire for the others. It's weird. I love this team as much as the next guy, but my favorite player is still Granger.

P.S. if Miami gets Granger, and they beat the Pacers in the ECF and then somehow lose in the NBA Finals with Granger on their Roster, I will burn the city of Miami down to the ground LOL :P

24. The Following User Says Thank You to DJVendetta For This Useful Post:

Thanks for carrying us through all the tough times, Danny. You may not technically win a championship with the Pacers, but you are still a hero to the fans. If we win it all this year, we will know that you were a part of it.

Candace Buckner: Danny Granger just made a surprise appearance inside the #Pacers practice facility. Players stopped and hugged him. "I love you, bro." - PG Twitter
    Candace Buckner: Granger stopped to hug all players, as well as front office personnel: Donnie Walsh, Kevin Pritchard and scouts in attendance.

This is the Granger I will love when he leaves.

When I hear he's pissed off and will go to the Heat, that's not the Granger I love.

I agree with him if he's pissed off at the front office... I just don't agree with him getting back at them by going to the Heat because he's directly attacking his own friends(teammates) in the process.

Thunder... Spurs... Clippers... Rockets... hell... Knicks or Bulls.... anywhere but the Heat. I have his back if he doesn't go to the Heat. It's the one team I won't support him going to. I'd rather the Heat win a championship without him than with him.

Sports Logo

This is the Granger I will love when he leaves.

When I hear he's pissed off and will go to the Heat, that's not the Granger I love.

I agree with him if he's pissed off at the front office... I just don't agree with him getting back at them by going to the Heat because he's directly attacking his own friends(teammates) in the process.

Thunder... Spurs... Clippers... Rockets... hell... Knicks or Bulls.... anywhere but the Heat. I have his back if he doesn't go to the Heat. It's the one team I won't support him going to. I'd rather the Heat win a championship without him than with him.
    Why does it matter. The Pacers CHOSE to trade him. Granger can go wherever he wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

I don't want to see Danny go to the Heat but I just don't get the argument that it would be "wrong" for him to go there. There are other contenders, but there is only one back-to-back champs. They might be Indy's rival, but Danny isn't a Pacer today. Let it go.

I'll always appreciate what Danny did for the franchise. He was our best player in a very dark time of Pacers' basketball. It's a shame that it just didn't work out with his injury, once our team finally got into contender form. Just a shame.

Most of you know that I'm not a Granger fanboy, but I think this was a raw deal for him. If I were a current player, I would be a bit less loyal to this team...because it's shown it's not loyal to a guy who carried this team for years through the dark ages.

I really think the Pacers owed Granger a ride for this year...and a shot to contribute. Again, if anything I am considered a Granger hater around these parts...but it is what it is. This trade was raw.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Every cell in my body hates the Miami Heat, but I wouldn't blame Granger one bit if he went there.

Well…. I think I’m finally ready to post my Danny epilogue. Get ready to get your read on.

I’ll start off by saying this: If you are a Danny hater, then gtfo of here. You have thousands of other threads to bash him. This is certainly not one of them.

Its been a little over 24 hours and to be honest its still sinking in. This will sound stupid and weak but I don’t care. To some small degree, Danny leaving feels similar to a loved one passing away. We all knew it was coming but I don’t think many of us expected it to come this soon and in this fashion. Sure there were trade rumors but nothing seemed like more than just casual musings by “league sources.” So when it actually happened, it came as a bit of a shock.

I guess the Granger journey really starts for me on May 19th, 2005… specifically when Larry Brown called a timeout at the end of Game 6 so the crowd could give Reggie an extended standing ovation in his final game ever. I remember having this sad, lost, hopeless feeling when thinking about the future of the Pacers. There was a weird 5 or 6 weeks where I had little to no desire to follow the Pacers anymore.

I decided to check out Pacers.com one day after the draft. I couldn’t even count how many comments in various interviews I saw from Pacer front office execs about how “we really got a steal in the draft with Danny Granger.” You hear fluff like this every draft but there seemed to be a different sense of vigor to it this time. My interest had been piqued.

Over the course of the next few months I gradually started to get back into the Pacers. At the time I lived several hours from Indy so generally I would only get to go to about one game a season. Well that year I was given tickets for Christmas to the Pacers/Pistons game in March. It was a pretty close game. It came down to a final possession. The inbounds just so happened to end up in Danny’s hands. He rose up from three and promptly missed as the buzzer sounded. Pistons win by 3.

It was a fairly nice night so we decided to walk around downtown near Conseco after the game. After 45 minutes or so we decided to head back to the hotel room. On the way, we walked back by Conseco. As we were about to cross the street, a person up in front of us was nearly hit by an Escalade. The person kind of juked a little as the escalade came to a stop a foot or two away. I was kind of stunned to see that the person started smiling after he looked up. As we crossed the street we soon realized why. Danny was driving. I could see him though the windshield as we walked by the front of his car. The look on his face screamed of a “Whew! That was close!” That was the closest I had ever been to a player as I had only ever sat in the balcony at Conseco. From then on I always had slightly more interest for Danny’s progress. I know, I know…. Danny almost hits someone and I liked him more. Its weird but leave me alone.

Danny continued to grow on me over the next couple years as JO, baby Al, and Stephen Jackson were traded away and Murph-leavy filled up meaningless stat sheets. The last game of the year in ’08 was fan appreciation night. We had already been eliminated from playoff contention and tickets were cheap as dirt. I got courtside for the first time in my life for $30. We beat the Knicks and after the game the players stuck around on the court and gave away their gear to people in the crowd. Danny took off his shoes and headed over to my side of the court. People were clamoring for his shoes but Danny made sure his shoes made it into the hands of kids. I thought it was a really cool gesture.

When we finally made the playoffs in 2011 after a 4 year drought it seemed like maybe the team was finally starting to turn around. I had never been to a playoff game before and promptly bought two tickets to game 4. I took my 11 year old nephew to the game with me. It was his first NBA game ever. He was really excited but was trying to play it off all cool. Although my nephew was a LeBron fan, he wanted to wear a Danny jersey to the game. I wasn’t gonna argue with him.

We had excellent seats behind the pacers bench next to the tunnel. My nephew got to slap all of the players’ hands as they came out of the tunnel. He slowly started to let his excitement creep out more and more as the game went on. 14 seconds left and Granger gets fouled. Pacers are up 1. Granger calmly sinks the first free throw. Crowd is quiet. Granger steps up and knocks down the second. My nephew belted out the biggest “YEEEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!” of anyone in our section. Bulls did not score again after that. Granger got fouled once more with 1 second left and sunk two more victory free throws. Pacers win by 5. I looked down at my nephew and he was just soaking in every minute of it. It was fantastic.

Danny gave us an improbable game winner in Phoenix, the LeBron inbounds alley-oop payback, his two front teeth for a victory over the defending champs, an All star appearance, and a game winner over the despised Knicks. Not to mention going toe to toe with the King himself in the inspiring playoff series of 2012. But my favorite Danny moment is actually from fan jam before the 2012 season. It was the lockout year so fan jam came later in December. We had signed David West and were coming off a promising playoff series vs. the Bulls the season before. Excitement around the team was high. I was able to get in the autograph line for Danny’s table. I had made something unique to take.

Danny was sitting at a table with Dahntay Jones and Lance. The monotony of the task in front of them was clearly written on their faces. Autograph, next, autograph, next, autograph, next. When I got up there and set my item down, Danny’s face lit up. He turned to Dahntay and Lance and said, “Look at what he havin me sign.” Dahntay and Lance practically stood up to see it.

As I took that poster down today to take a picture of it, I almost started to get choked up. It felt like I was back to May 19th, 2005. This time, the future could not be brighter. But at least for me right now, there is a bit of a cloud over it. Sure this cloud will pass. I will miss Danny. And I certainly wish things could have ended differently. He deserved one last chance to win a ring with this franchise but that is obviously not in the cards for him now. Danny was the epitome of a class act. I was proud to call him a Pacer. There’s no denying this was a good move for the Pacers. Winning a championship is not easy. Perhaps one of the hardest parts of the championship quest this year will be saying goodbye to Danny. Whatever team he ends up with, I will be at BLF the night they come to town to pay my respects. Not sure how it would work out but it would be cool if Frank called a 20 second time out at some point when Danny is on the floor so that the crowd can give him the ovation he deserves. Just like Larry Brown did for Reggie.

Best of luck to you, Danny. I’ll be rooting for ya.
    Last edited by Phree Refill; 02-21-2014 at 10:52 PM.

35. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked