Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Danny Granger Appreciation Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Danny Granger Appreciation Thread

Was always a fan of Danny, and am sad to see him go even if it was a good trade for the Pacers. Looks like he will get as much PT in Philly as he can handle, hope he can earn one more non-minimum contract for himself and his family. He probably won't ever have a jersey in the rafters, but will be well remembered in Pacers lore like the Rifleman, Smits, and the Davis boys. Best of luck Danny.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Was my favorite Pacer for several years. I'm only a little sad, he made a **** load of money playing here, he'll be fine.

Good luck Danny, unless you are playing against us.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just really wish this wasn't happening. Turner is certainly an upgrade, but I feel for Danny. People will say we don't owe anything else to him, but I bet he'd pay us back for a ring.

Just sad to see him go. Just when he is starting to get better teammates...

And I'm not sure if it's a respectable thing that he was traded to one of the worst teams in the league right now. He's an expiring, I know, and can move to a better team next year, and the trade will never be as good as any other playoff teams right now. But...c'mon now.

Anyway, I hope the best for Danny and I would like to see him get a ring on some team at some point. And I hope that we win a championship this year with this trade because the trade does not make me feel happy at all, and a championship this year will make me feel that this trade is worth it.

I remember being so excited during those dark years when Danny made the All-Star game. I bought the jersey--the All-Star jersey. I was well out of my jersey phase and that was the last NBA jersey I bought. It's the odd duck in my jersey collection (mainly consisting of Reggie Miller jerseys) and for whatever reason I always smile when I see it. I put it on today after the news broke. I'm a lot more emotional than I thought I would be. Someone made the comparison in a negative tone in the other thread, but I like to think of DG like I think of Peyton Manning: As long as he isn't playing my team, I will always, always root for him.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just sad to see him go. Just when he is starting to get better teammates...

And I'm not sure if it's a respectable thing that he was traded to one of the worst teams in the league right now. He's an expiring, I know, and can move to a better team next year, and the trade will never be as good as any other playoff teams right now. But...c'mon now.

Anyway, I hope the best for Danny and I would like to see him get a ring on some team at some point. And I hope that we win a championship this year with this trade because the trade does not make me feel happy at all, and a championship this year will make me feel that this trade is worth it.
    Sadly for us, if he's bought out he might be able to go after that ring still this year. Miami has a roster spot open and they're looking for a veteran wing player.

Solid guy and a bright spot in dark times. He was the victim of injuries, but also perhaps the victim of being placed in a role he just didn't quite fit. Danny would have made a great Robin, he just wasn't quite Batman, which is what he was often asked to be in Indiana. Batman arrived in Paul George, but Robins are a dime a dozen on the Pacers right now. I say that in a good way, we are just have lots of Allstar/Almost AllStar players on our roster.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

To me Granger embodied the spirit of this team, Toughness, Grit and Attitude. Playing with a chip on your shoulder. 2 years ago in the East Semis I thought Granger's attitude toward Lebron was going to single handedly push us over the top. He didn't take **** from anyone and dished out when he got mad. It was that kind of attitude and demeanor that was missing from the team during last years ECF. Call it tough pills if you want, but Granger had some major cojones.

My favorite player of the past 8 years.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

My favorite DG moment
    Smothered Chicken!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

Without question, my most profound memory of Danny Granger:

This literally happened <24 hours after he signed his 5yr/60 million contract:

Pacers' forward Danny Granger isn't worried about the two front teeth he shattered while going for a steal against the Celtics on Saturday night.

"I broke the one they put back and broke off my other tooth," Granger said after practicing with temporary front teeth on Monday. "I've been through it before, so I'll just have to go through it again.

"I hate being in the (dentist's) chair when they do all that, but I have to do it."

He claims he'll be fine for the team's game against the Suns on Wednesday.

"As professional athletes, we've bled throughout our careers," Granger said. "We've broken bones, torn ligaments, busted teeth. It's part of the game. It's kind of fun when you do it, and you actually win."
    He actually gave me hope that our team wasn't just going through the paces. He was a tough SOB when there was no real passion or life in the team. He was like a light in the darkness of those times. Ugh.

Respect.
    Last edited by docpaul; 02-20-2014 at 11:01 PM.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Sadly for us, if he's bought out he might be able to go after that ring still this year. Miami has a roster spot open and they're looking for a veteran wing player.
    It would be sad just because of the possibility of seeing him in a rival team. But if that happens, it will really be good for him. Although I prefer him to go to either the Suns (that medical miracle of a team) or the Spurs (top-notch organization).

But all in all, I would like to see him get to a playoff team and get a shot at a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Not sure Danny and LeBron can co-exist. They seem to hate each other

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    Not sure Danny and LeBron can co-exist. They seem to hate each other
    The Heat would be greatly motivated to do it just to stick it in Bird's craw... But would Danny do that to us? Hard to know unless you have the right "perspective"...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Its sad that he won't when a title with us. He was a loyal solder.

Danny, you're always gonna be a Pacer and I freaking love you. You kept me a Pacers fan during the hard times!
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope he joins Phoenix so I can root for him down here.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    The Heat would be greatly motivated to do it just to stick it in Bird's craw... But would Danny do that to us? Hard to know unless you have the right "perspective"...
    If Danny signed with the Heat this thread would have to be deleted immediately. That being said Danny is not going to the Heat.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

J7F

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    To me Granger embodied the spirit of this team, Toughness, Grit and Attitude. Playing with a chip on your shoulder. 2 years ago in the East Semis I thought Granger's attitude toward Lebron was going to single handedly push us over the top. He didn't take **** from anyone and dished out when he got mad. It was that kind of attitude and demeanor that was missing from the team during last years ECF. Call it tough pills if you want, but Granger had some major cojones.

My favorite player of the past 8 years.
    Gosh last year's series with Miami almost made me forget about the year before. That did not help. Gosh I'm going to miss that guy. I wish so, so much that he would have been able to make it work here after the injuries.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I hope he joins Phoenix so I can root for him down here.
    I hope he does because they seem to have the elixir of life down there. Whatever their training staff does, it works. DG might find some juvenation left in those knees.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

During the down years, Danny gave me someone to brag about to my friends who like Kobe, Lebron etc. Thanks!

Man. Pacer for life.

If we win it all this year is it even remotely possible to give him a ring...? Man.
    On the Lance bandwagon

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

J7F

Honestly feel bad about making the trade, even if I understand it from a basketball standpoint. Good luck Danny! Thanks for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Without question, my most profound memory of Danny Granger:

This literally happened <24 hours after he signed his 5yr/60 million contract:

He actually gave me hope that our team wasn't just going through the paces. He was a tough SOB when there was no real passion or life in the team. He was like a light in the darkness of those times. Ugh.

Respect.
    Danny represented the "everyman". Not the most gifted but busted his behind including some teeth to get the most out of his game.
    He will be missed but not forgotten. Thanks Danny for providing some hope and entertainment for Pacer fans.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

A class act who never backed down. If we could have put his brain in Artest's head we might already have a banner or two hanging in the rafters.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

I made a point to (as did many others) thank Danny earlier today on Twitter for his time with the Indiana Pacers. He meant a lot, especially in his prime, and he will be missed and he will be remembered. His ending here was mostly sad, but I'm very glad we had him here in his best years, for sure. A good guy, used to be a very good player, and he was the light coming out of the darkness of the 2005 season, too. I think he will easily be one of those guys who, if he chooses to live here after retirement, will get a very nice hand from the crowd any game he attends where they show him on the big screen (like Smits gets), and deservedly so.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: