Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Granger traded to Philly

Default Re: Granger traded to Philly

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two organizations have to do the physicals before a player plays after a trade. It wasn't Blake that busted his *** to play that night, it was the two organizations that made the trade and both quickly acted to finalize everything. So, please don't make it sound like the players have control of that situation. Also we are playing the worst team in the league, along with being an organization that never rushes new players in... so what really is the need to rush?
    If I remember correctly, the Pacers waived the physicals for Scola and Bynum.both. Maybe they will do the same thing with these players.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

if PG weren't pretty friendly with Turner I'd have a lot more qualms with this. I already have plenty, I don't think Turner's a fit here. I think this is a we killed it on paper but the reality is pretty damn mediocre scenario. But I'm more than willing to see how it plays out, I was more than ready to dump Lance, I said PG'd never put up an efficient 20+ (which is still sorta true so I'm not a complete idiot).

It's not that I don't think this makes us better, I do, but pretty damn marginally. I don't see how Turner and Lance will be able to play together. And yeah, emotions come into play.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wanted it to work with Danny. I am sad but I really am not bothered by it. Reggie Retiring hurt. For those upset w Pacers mgt its ridiculous. We stuck by Danny all last season, to eventually he had to have surgery. If Danny was able to play last year I believe we woulda beat the Heat. It sucks but that's how it goes sometimes.

Pacers gotta cover their cans if Lance walks or wants more than he should get. Danny wasn't plan B and likely for good reason. It sucks but this is business. Its about what is BEST for the FRANCHISE and TEAM not one individual player.

Lance should take heed if he wants to be part of a CONTENDER. A small market Franchise cannot afford 28M two seasons in a row of at best moderate bench production for a team contending for a TITLE.

This was a move that was best for the Pacers. Plain and simple. Turner also gives us a player that can do the same things to some extent as Lance. No one on this team had the attributes Lance does, which I believe has went to Lances head/ego. Now there is competition for minutes at his position which is a good thing. He gets out of control I got no quarrels with Vogel pulling him and letting Turner prove himself worthy.

Lance has got more upside, but as REG stated, Turners game is more polished. imo Lances immaturity at times hurts our starting 5.

Lavoy Allen is a nice get as well. If the Bynum experienment fails, we still have depth in the frontcourt.

BEST WISHES to Danny Granger. I hope he signs on with a Western Conference contending team.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post

Lance should take heed if he wants to be part of a CONTENDER. A small market Franchise cannot afford 28M two seasons in a row of at best moderate bench production for a team contending for a TITLE.

This was a move that was best for the Pacers. Plain and simple. Turner also gives us a player that can do the same things to some extent as Lance. No one on this team had the attributes Lance does, which I believe has went to Lances head/ego. Now there is competition for minutes at his position which is a good thing. He gets out of control I got no quarrels with Vogel pulling him and letting Turner prove himself worthy.
    I think you nailed it here. Lance not only has to be on his best behavior (which hasn't been an issue at all) but he'll have to continue to play within the team. No more trying to pad his stats and playing out of control, because we can put him on the bench and bring in a player that brings in similar production albeit in a different way.

If he ends up wanting to take an offer that's bigger than that "specific number" that Bird has in mind to pay Lance, we can sign Turner. The fact that we have that type of flexibility in the off season makes this trade a LOT easier to digest for a Granger fan.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

The 76ers made the trade for financial reasons. I imagine if he failed, they would just waive it.

Would the NBA allow it to happen?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Would the NBA allow it to happen?
    Teams have the choice to waive a physical.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Two organizations have to do the physicals before a player plays after a trade. It wasn't Blake that busted his *** to play that night, it was the two organizations that made the trade and both quickly acted to finalize everything. So, please don't make it sound like the players have control of that situation. Also we are playing the worst team in the league, along with being an organization that never rushes new players in... so what really is the need to rush?

Also, Oakland and Los Angeles are in the same state.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Expecting Lance to shoot like Paul is both unrealistic and unfair. PG is a natural shooter, he shot about 45 percent from 3 as a freshman in college, he just needed a year to adjust to the longer 3 point line, but his shooting ability is natural talent. You can improve your shot ( in fact Lance has tremendously) but you dont go from a bad 3 point shooter to Paul Georgeesque 38 percent despite taking 6+ per game, many of which are off the dribble, above the break or with a hand in his face. That's pretty much impossible. Best you can hope for is becoming a legitimate threat if left wide open ala kidd, but even that is only a set shot and happened after years and years.

Also I don't know what Hibbert you watch, but he is pretty much as accurate on open mid range jumpers as he is at contested layups, which is a compliment to his jumper and a sad shot at his bunny shot making chops.

We don't need 2 players averaging 20 ppg. Other than OKC none of the other contenders do, not Miami, not SAS (zero) not houston, not LAC, POR the Darkhorse does have 2, The world beating kings, on the other hand have 3, and the GOAT Pacers team led by the twoheaded monster MDJ and 3rd year Danny Granger had 2, as did the Beastly ellis jennings swagtastic Bucks from last year,but seriously, most current contending teams have 1 and a balanced attack around their main scorer. Looking back at the past decade SAS' s 3 titles had only Duncan scoring 20 barely 20 2/3 (20.0, 20.7 and 23.3) Detroit's one had zero, Boston's one had zero, Dallas' s one had just Dirk, LA's two had just Kobe... Only if you look towards Miami's method of titles would suggest needing multiple high volume (20+) scorers simultaneously as a key ingredient to winning a title going back 10 years. Even HOF sidekick Pippen only hit 20 ppg along with Michael during 2 title runs.

Our scoring distribution isn't our problem offensively. Part of it is philosophy, we play grind it out possession ball, which limits offensive possessions for the other team, maximizing defense, part of it is simply focusing on our defense (the element that makes us title contenders) so much that we lack energy on offense occassionally leading to "lazy shots", part of it lacking one guy that handles the ball more than everyone else and makes the individual decision to shoot or give it to someone in scoring position (ala CP3 LBJ and KD3, paul is a great player but he isn't a point forward yet, maybe if he works on his passing this offseason the way he worked on his handles and isolation game last one he will be) meaning we make multiple passes relative to teams with a singular ball dominant passing/assist stars before getting in to a potential scoring position, leading to higher than optimal turnovers. Basically it's really hard to be very good on offense and defense, and even harder to be dominant on one end and really good on the other as well. Can our offense improve? Certainly. Will our offense be more than decent to good without sacrificing at least a bit about what makes us great(defense). Almost certainly not.

Look at PG as an individual example, now that he's rested he looks unstoppable scoring the ball again just like the first 2.5 months, yet after stretches of 5 games in 7 or 4 in 5 nights he's visibly fatigued and his shot goes flat as well as looking indecisive, appearing to lack bounce and energy. This is a symptom of trying to go all out on offense and defense every night, while doing both at an elite level. Luckily we should breeze through the first and possibly second round in the East and there are no back2backs in the playoffs, so I'm nit worried that Paul won't be in superstar form on both ends come may and hopefully june.

There is a reason guys like LBJ, Kobe, Dwade etc... coast a bit on defense during the year despite possessing great defensive acumen, or why guys like Harden, Durant, and Carmelo flat neglect it more than they should to maintain their elite offense all year long. It's exhausting, moreso when applied to teams as a whole who aren't comprised entirely of athletic specimens relative to their peers.

20 ppg is sexy for fantasy basketball, but it means little in the context of needing it, especially more than one per team, in terms of winning the big trophy.

So you don't think if Lance works with a coach in the off-season taking like 200 or so jumpers a day he can improve his shot to be highly consistent? I think he could be as consistent a jump-shooter as Wade if he practiced with a shooter who's retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    So you don't think if Lance works with a coach in the off-season taking like 200 or so jumpers a day he can improve his shot to be highly consistent? I think he could be as consistent a jump-shooter as Wade if he practiced with a shooter who's retired.
    That's exactly what he did this past offseason.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

More BUY OUT STUFF........

Danny according to Hoopshype could sign with Chicago, Miami, Dallas, San Antonio, or the Clippers. Meanwhile, Metta World Piece and Beno Udrih will be bought out by the Knicks. I wonder where they'll land. Also as I mentioned in a previous thread....Jason Terry is returning to Dallas to rehab his knee. He's DONE FOR THE YEAR.

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    More BUY OUT STUFF........

Danny according to Hoopshype could sign with Chicago, Miami, Dallas, San Antonio, or the Clippers. Meanwhile, Metta World Piece and Beno Udrih will be bought out by the Knicks. I wonder where they'll land. Also as I mentioned in a previous thread....Jason Terry is returning to Dallas to rehab his knee. He's DONE FOR THE YEAR.
    Clippers or the Spurs seem most likely to me

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Teams have the choice to waive a physical.
    True, but it was reported that Philly had Granger undergo a physical yesterday. It seems to me that they have interest in Granger playing for them, rather than buying him out. Those rumors are premature.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    If I remember correctly, the Pacers waived the physicals for Scola and Bynum.both. Maybe they will do the same thing with these players.
    I don't remember this actually, but in Bynum's case he was injured when we signed him, so it would be pointless to have him take a physical.

I'm really happy we acquired Evan Turner because I think he will help us more than Danny against our main #1 opponent - the Miami Heat. Turner will put a lot of pressure on DWade and force him to play defense. Danny cannot possibly guard LeBron or Wade this year because his lateral quickness is gone. His shot is gone and his ability to get open has diminished as well.

I think all the buy out stuff is none sense. Granger doesn't wanna lose his Bird rights. And the Sixers didn't give up Evan Turner for money and a 2nd round draft pick. They want to use Granger in the off season as a sign and trade option.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to GrangerRanger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    True, but it was reported that Philly had Granger undergo a physical yesterday. It seems to me that they have interest in Granger playing for them, rather than buying him out. Those rumors are premature.

I don't remember this actually, but in Bynum's case he was injured when we signed him, so it would be pointless to have him take a physical.
    I hope you're right about the Sixers wanting to keep Danny in a way but I wonder what's in it for them. They're trying to tank and since they'll be losing anyway they'll want to give a ton of minutes to young players for development. If they keep Granger they could offer him a starting role with a lot of minutes but I don't know if that wouldn't be counter productive to their goal. I think Danny's meeting with the Sixers had to focus on what role they'd be able to offer him and that would be over quickly if they wanted him to play limited minutes.
    From Danny's point he'll want to prove his worth for his next contract. He'll want minutes to do this but he may also like the idea of chasing a ring at this stage in his career, something that was just taken from him. I don't see the Heat, Mavs, or Spurs offering the chance to play a lot of minutes. Danny wouldn't get many minutes at all in Miami backing up Lebron but it seems like the Heat are focused on going after a veteran wing so I think they'll make a strong run for him. It seems to me that the Clippers would be the best fit for both minutes and a chance at a title.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I hope you're right about the Sixers wanting to keep Danny in a way but I wonder what's in it for them. They're trying to tank and since they'll be losing anyway they'll want to give a ton of minutes to young players for development. If they keep Granger they could offer him a starting role with a lot of minutes but I don't know if that wouldn't be counter productive to their goal. I think Danny's meeting with the Sixers had to focus on what role they'd be able to offer him and that would be over quickly if they wanted him to play limited minutes.
    From Danny's point he'll want to prove his worth for his next contract. He'll want minutes to do this but he may also like the idea of chasing a ring at this stage in his career, something that was just taken from him. I don't see the Heat, Mavs, or Spurs offering the chance to play a lot of minutes. Danny wouldn't get many minutes at all in Miami backing up Lebron but it seems like the Heat are focused on going after a veteran wing so I think they'll make a strong run for him. It seems to me that the Clippers would be the best fit for both minutes and a chance at a title.

Look how this team became when we added a vet in West. Maybe Sixers management wants Danny to fill that same role in Philly?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    I think all the buy out stuff is none sense. Granger doesn't wanna lose his Bird rights. And the Sixers didn't give up Evan Turner for money and a 2nd round draft pick. They want to use Granger in the off season as a sign and trade option.
    Cant sign and trade him. He's an UFA.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Sure they can. It's not as open ended as it was under the last CBA but he could still potentially make more money on his next deal that way. Not that I think he'd get offered the kind of money that makes playing out the year in Philly worthwhile in that scenario, and I think Danny and his camp know that, but it's hypothetically possible.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Sure they can. It's not as open ended as it was under the last CBA but he could still potentially make more money on his next deal that way. Not that I think he'd get offered the kind of money that makes playing out the year in Philly worthwhile in that scenario, and I think Danny and his camp know that, but it's hypothetically possible.
    Yeah, H is right. IIRC, the advantage of a S&T is signing a guy without using the MLE. A team like Brooklyn could S&T a guy like Danny and send salary to Philly to equal out that salary. Otherwise there isn't anyway they could sign a guy without using up their exceptions. Of course, the 76ers have to agree.

The main difference between the new CBA and the old is, under the new one, is the salary and years. Under the old one a team could offer more years and larger raises than just signing a player outright. That loophole is closed.

I do think people are jumping the shark on Granger being bought out. I am sure they are talking about it, but overall there are advantages for both sides to him staying around. Ultimately though I think it will come down to whether or not Granger wants to go to a contender this year, or if he wants to try to build up his stock for a bigger contract.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I do think people are jumping the shark on Granger being bought out. I am sure they are talking about it, but overall there are advantages for both sides to him staying around. Ultimately though I think it will come down to whether or not Granger wants to go to a contender this year, or if he wants to try to build up his stock for a bigger contract.
    I think you're right in that will play a big part in things. Where do you think he gains the most stock though, playing 35 minutes in Philly or playing 25 minutes in L.A.?

It looks like Davis just took the open roster spot in L.A., so I guess that last question is a moot point.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

I know this trade happened a few days ago, but it just still donít feel right to me. I think a lot of Pacers fans would agree with me. I canít imagine what Granger feels now. After watching a video of Granger saying his goodbyes, I came to the conclusion that this game of basketball is only about money and not about loyalty. I feel bad for Granger and hope him the best. He deserves a lot more than what the Pacers gave him. You can call me old school, but to me it just doesnít seem right. Iím out.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tflo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tflo View Post
    I know this trade happened a few days ago, but it just still don’t feel right to me. I think a lot of Pacers fans would agree with me. I can’t imagine what Granger feels now. After watching a video of Granger saying his goodbyes, I came to the conclusion that this game of basketball is only about money and not about loyalty. I feel bad for Granger and hope him the best. He deserves a lot more than what the Pacers gave him. You can call me old school, but to me it just doesn’t seem right. I’m out.
    Correct. It's not about loyalty. Just ask LeBron James...that kid from Akron.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tflo View Post
    I know this trade happened a few days ago, but it just still don’t feel right to me. I think a lot of Pacers fans would agree with me. I can’t imagine what Granger feels now. After watching a video of Granger saying his goodbyes, I came to the conclusion that this game of basketball is only about money and not about loyalty. I feel bad for Granger and hope him the best. He deserves a lot more than what the Pacers gave him. You can call me old school, but to me it just doesn’t seem right. I’m out.
    This whole thing really made me respect the Spurs so much more, even though I respected them a whole lot already. You've gotta believe teams approached Pop with trade scenarios for Manu, TD or TP over the years, possibly hoping to add more veteran experience to a young locker room, yet Pop and the Spurs managed to keep those guys all these years. Instead of sacrificing them for younger talent to hasten the rebuild, they've found ways to build the pieces around them to stay competitive, even as those guys have aged considerably and even battled injuries and missed more than a few games. And it's not like they've found hidden stars. We're talking about Patty Mills and Marco Belinelli here. So, tip of my hat to Pop and Spurs for their continued success and loyalty to their core players.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post: