Page 33 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Granger traded to Philly

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger traded to Philly

I think everyone should feel the same way really. We can all let our feelings take hold for a little while and that's human emotion for you, it's bound to happen. But change is always a guarantee too and the Pacers were around before Danny and will be after Danny so we need to figure what will push the team forwards. Danny wasn't living up to what we were hoping for him this season. That best sixth man tag we were all trying to tag on him didn't happen, he struggled and when he came back from his injury and the results took a little bit of a dip. It can't be blamed purely on him for sure but if Larry gets a player who is healthy now and can help give the team a push that Granger wasn't giving on-court then I'm all for it. Granger helped get George where he is today, pushed him and had to watch him take his spot. Sentiment says we keep the guy but sentiment can't always win you a title or get you the furthest you can get. The trade might not work, every trade ever might not work but it could and Turner has played reasonably well on a bad team. Lavoy isn't a bad pickup either and is going to provide some more toughness on defence, a few more fouls on LeBron in the playoffs and could be a sleeper that helps out very quietly in the background.

Let's welcome these guys in, not see them as the two guys that pushed Danny out and get them and Bynum solidifying this bench. If they connect and fit with the system then we've helped our chances. If not, our bench last year was poor and we got to the finals. This bench is definitely no worse than the last one.

Green, Plumlee, Johnson and Granger for Scola, Bynum, Allen and Turner? I'll take it.
    Pacers fan since April 9th 2004 - New Jersey 80 Indiana 90.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Never been a huge fan of Danny's game, but it's hard not to be moved by that. He will always be apart of the family, no matter what. Always respected his professionalism and character.

Good luck Danny, thanks for everything you've done, and good luck.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Comparing a beloved teammate being traded off of the pro sports team that you play on, to getting cancer or your mother dying while you're in college. I... wow. Just... wow. I think that's absurd.
    All analogies have holes. Sure the comparison is extreme, but the comparison was used to drive a point.

Not all stressors need qualifiers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

via Kent Sterling

Oh man...

I just wasn't ready to see that.

You can just tell, no one really knows how to react, and everyone is desperately trying to play it off like it's not a big deal.

Then Danny looks back before walking out the door.

I'm just numb watching this. Just numb...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    at about 28 seconds PG looks all dejected and sounds like he says "I don't wanna shoot no more"
    I thought he was actually asking for a ball

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I thought he was actually asking for a ball
    "I don't wanna shoot no more... I don't wanna shoot no more"
    Last edited by TMJ31; 02-21-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    "I don't wanna shoot... Don't wanna shoot no more"
    Well if that's what he's saying too damn bad cause Nate passes him ball like 2 seconds later lol

I don't mean to be a dick to Paul or any of these guys they're more than welcome to have their moment and their emotions over this, but tomorrow it is back to business and we desperately need to win our next 5 games at least. If we go out and let this break us up the rest of the year than this whole thing was in vain and that would be a real disservice to Danny.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Well if that's what he's saying too damn bad cause Nate passes him ball like 2 seconds later lol

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    All analogies have holes. Sure the comparison is extreme, but the comparison was used to drive a point.

Not all stressors need qualifiers.
    It was a really, really dumb and inappropriate comparison. Borderline offensive.

And yes, everyone can have their moment. Just don't project your soap opera sappiness onto multimillionaire professionals who understand the business of the game that they are paid to play.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Wha??? More Fire Isn't an indication of playing better. Danny played pretty well trying to fit into his new role. He drove and dished it off for easy baskets plenty of times. He played pretty good defense when called upon, sure he still has the bad habits of slacking off his man too much. He just couldn't hit his shots like we are used to seeing. Its not a measure of "Fire" or passion for the game. He just didn't hit shots.

I never thought once that Danny Granger cost the Pacers any games, he just couldn't hit shots anymore, or get quality shots off.
    He by no means played pretty well. His one goal was to hit shots. 36% from the field shows he failed that goal miserably.
    @qandrews9428

Heh, perhaps I can tell a story here that will help understand where I come from on this.

December 2012, I had to make a decision to let an employee go from my family business who had literally been with the business since before I was born. He was well past retirement age and had begun making mistakes (maintenance guy) that were putting not only himself but others in harm's way. It was one of the hardest decisions I'll probably ever have to make. It stuck with me for about a day and then I had a realization that it was just the first of many times in my life I will have to make or be around a decision like that. Business regardless of what area you are in, kind of sucks.

These guys have had their time to be emotional about it. We've had our time to be emotional about it. Honestly, I was over the emotions this morning until all the videos started coming out, that sucked a bit, but this evening I am back and ready to get going with the rest of the season tomorrow. The players need to be too. Danny isn't dead. He's going to be OK, personally I'm hoping he plays the last 20 some games with Philly chucks a bunch of shots and gets paid one last time. That would make me really happy as a Danny fan. You have to learn to look at the positives. It sucked to have to let my employee go, but it was better than hearing how he was forgetting things or how he had backed his truck into a sign. He still comes into the office on occasion and drops off vegetables that he's grown.

Paul George is 23 years old, I was 24 when I had to make that decision in December of 12, so trust me I feel for him, but I can also promise him, life will go on. It will be OK.

Frank has a very cool opportunity tomorrow to address this team sans Turner and Allen. My message? If you guys loved Danny as a teammate, then the best way to memorialize is to treat the rest of this season like we are General Sherman and the rest of the NBA is the city of Atlanta. Time to march to the mother ****ing sea and burn down everything on the way. No better way to pay respect to Danny's time as a Pacer than to practice everything he taught the young guys. Which is mostly don't take **** from anyone in this league especially if their name is Lebron. And he can say this to them without making the new guys feel like the they've been alienated.

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Who the **** is cutting onions around me?!
    For real. Wow.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    It was a really, really dumb and inappropriate comparison. Borderline offensive.

And yes, everyone can have their moment. Just don't project your soap opera sappiness onto multimillionaire professionals who understand the business of the game that they are paid to play.

Looks like since I am this offensive I need to take a break from this site. Cause I am not seeing it as offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Without saying anything about the move specifically, condemning or condoning, Larry Bird is a cold mother****er.

What this says to me is "BIRD IS ALL IN TO WIN IT THIS YEAR"!

Unlike so many on this board who felt Granger was going to make this bench great, I had my doubts he'd even make it back let alone be able to play well. I just haven't been impressed with Granger's play so far, and obviously neither was Bird.

May I pull the "In Bird we trust" card on this trade for those who aren't happy with it. I'm not surprised in the least Granger got traded, but I'm surprised they got a player like Evan Turner back for Granger. Great coup as far as I'm concerned! I have to tip my hat to Bird for it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Frank has a very cool opportunity tomorrow to address this team sans Turner and Allen. My message? If you guys loved Danny as a teammate, then the best way to memorialize is to treat the rest of this season like we are General Sherman and the rest of the NBA is the city of Atlanta. Time to march to the mother ****ing sea and burn down everything on the way. No better way to pay respect to Danny's time as a Pacer than to practice everything he taught the young guys. Which is mostly don't take **** from anyone in this league especially if their name is Lebron. And he can say this to them without making the new guys feel like the they've been alienated.
    Thats a good message.

What really sucks is that if any those players had bothered to show up and play at high level over the last month, this trade would have never happened. Bird would have told Philly thanks but no thanks, my team is on the floor. But because the majority of the team started mailing it in and thinking that their reputation alone would carry them, gave Bird enough incentive to make a change. So these players that are left need to take a hard look in the mirror.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

It is sad.....But really, these guys aren't exactly sympathetic characters by any stretch of the imagination....
    What you own is your own kingdom
    What you do is your own glory
    What you love is your own power
    What you live is your own story

Hey are you going to the game tomorrow?

Sports Logo

Anyone been over to Sixers' boards to see their reactions to trading Turner and Allen? Some concerning posts on the Sixers RealGM board about Turner especially...

Guessing there was no market whatsoever for ET, got a classy veteran who won't help us win games for some meh talent in ET and Lavoy, both of which aren't great character guys. I guess it makes sense. Starting to like these last 2 trades now as well.
    Glad he's gone, however should have gotten more for him.
    I wouldn't have if I were them. Turner is a negative value player. He's a ball-dominant wing who specializes in mediocre mid-range shots and an inability to draw fouls while also being prone to defensive lapses. He is a average defender who doesn't space the floor, where is the value?
    The sixers probably figured they'd improve team morale by cutting loose guys who were obvious malcontents and couldn't hide their disdain for playing on a team built to lose.
    We got rid of Lavoy and Turner and took back an established veteran and a second round pick.

You guys need to get it through your head that nobody likes Evan Turner. He's a terrible basketball player, a ball dominant wing who does not have the efficiency or athleticism to back up what you think about him. He sucks. The fact that Hinkie got a second round pick and a decent veteran like Granger is astounding in itself
    It ain't about "Turner is worth more than this" or not. It's about the leverage the negotiator has. Hinkie was operating at a disadvantage when trying to deal Turner for a few reasons.

1. Turner is a malcontent.
    2. Turner is inefficient as hell (sub 14 PER).
    3. Turner is a free agent at the end of the year.
    Turner wasn't cutting it anymore. The mental lapses he had during a game because he couldnt draw a foul on the offensive side were too infuriating to watch
    http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...5533&start=150

Trying to leave the emotional aspect out of this, it still doesn't make sense to me. It might look good on paper and he's younger, but I'm more concerned about chemistry now. Teams don't win on talent alone if they can't play together. We had a team that was TOGETHER. We broke them apart. For Evan Turner. Evan. Turner. A tweener guard who shoots from three like Jamaal Tinsley and finishes at the rim like Darren Collison, gets upset when he can't generate foul calls, doesn't defend, apparently has attitude issues, likes to dominate the ball, and has a high turnover rate. If he's our backup plan to Lance leaving... we're in trouble. He's not half the player Lance is.

Only time will tell, but I really hope we're not looking back on this thinking "Why, Larry? Why? Was Evan Turner worth it? Was breaking up the closest team in the league, the #1 seed in the East, worth it for Evan Turner?"

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Looks like since I am this offensive I need to take a break from this site. Cause I am not seeing it as offensive.
    Hey man, emotions are running high right now and I think everyone needs to take everything anybody says on here for the next couple of days with a grain of salt. No need to lose any members because emotions got the best of some people. #PDSTRONG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorgeHill For This Useful Post:

Wonder what Lance might look like had he been playing for a team that in their own fans words is "built to lose".

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wonder what Lance might look like had he been playing for a team that in their own fans words is "built to lose".
    Change of scenery is all some players need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorgeHill For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I can say one thing with realtive certainty: There is not a happier human being on Earth right now than vnzla. Turner was his dude since before that draft and we all know his stance on Danny.

I am guessing vnzla has been banned, since I haven't seen any posts of his in quite sometime?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I am guessing vnzla has been banned, since I haven't seen any posts of his in quite sometime?
    I'm just thankful that I haven't had to read his opinion on this.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    Anyone been over to Sixers' boards to see their reactions to trading Turner and Allen? Some concerning posts on the Sixers RealGM board about Turner especially...

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...5533&start=150

Trying to leave the emotional aspect out of this, it still doesn't make sense to me. It might look good on paper and he's younger, but I'm more concerned about chemistry now. Teams don't win on talent alone if they can't play together. We had a team that was TOGETHER. We broke them apart. For Evan Turner. Evan. Turner. A tweener guard who shoots from three like Jamaal Tinsley and finishes at the rim like Darren Collison, gets upset when he can't generate foul calls, doesn't defend, apparently has attitude issues, likes to dominate the ball, and has a high turnover rate. If he's our backup plan to Lance leaving... we're in trouble. He's not half the player Lance is.

Only time will tell, but I really hope we're not looking back on this thinking "Why, Larry? Why? Was Evan Turner worth it? Was breaking up the closest team in the league, the #1 seed in the East, worth it for Evan Turner?"
    So basically is Turner a Gerald Green type player. That to me is the worse case here but I always thought Turner just lacked the coaching in the pros which he didn't lack at OSU with Thad. Green on the other hand was always just a one dimensional player who couldn't play into a team concept especially one that didn't run and gun to use his athleticism.

I think everyone wants Lance over Turner but insurance is insurance and if you are bound by the LT the choice is out of your hands. I certainly don't think any MLE player next year would be capable to replace Lances production and Turner is probably the closest to being able to do it.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post: