Page 26 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Granger traded to Philly

Default Re: Granger traded to Philly

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are we just gonna ignore CJ Watson now?
    No, that's who is coming in for George Hill when he is subbed out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I'm sentimental for Danny, especially after that Paul George picture...but I don't know, I feel like Legend just isn't giving the championship up this year. All my trust with the Basketball Jesus. For the first time, I really, truly believe we'll win it this year. I'm very confident all of a sudden. It's not just Turner and Allen. It's that Legend is involved. And Legend wins championships.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am hesitant to put much stock into any of Turner's numbers with the 76ers this year. That team is flat out terrible. His numbers could be inflated because of it. But his defense and efficiency could be worse because of it too. From what I've seen of Turner since his OSU days and what I've seen out of Granger this year, its pretty clear who the better player is. Its Evan.

And the NBA finally gets to see that Turner/Bynum duo! Coming off the Pacers bench... huh, weird.

Guess I need a new signature too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I don't get people calling Bird "slimy" at all. What do you think Bird's job is? It's to guide the Pacers to a championship. This was the kind of move you make in order to accomplish that.

This isn't the feel-good friendship club. This isn't your adult rec league team with your college buddies. This isn't a charity club. It's professional basketball. Sometimes, tough decisions come with the territory. All the best to Danny, but my goodness, anyone criticizing Bird here is missing the point of the move, and his job, entirely.
    Amen.

Employee 33 did everything we could have asked of him. He was a great pro for us and will be missed. But there is no sweat equity in the NBA, or professional sports in general. He doesn't automatically "deserve" to be a Pacer based on past performance. He was paid millions to do a job. He wasn't owed anything more than he already got from the franchise.

Would it have been great if he could contribute more on the court and win a ring with this team? Absolutely. Do I wish he went to a less-putrid team? Sure. But we all need to be honest with ourselves...we don't want to see him with a contender making life tougher for us either.

LB has always been incredibly competitive and he has worked his *** off to be a great player, coach, and executive. To think he is going to catch feelings, not do his job and not improve the team is asinine. His job is to put us in the best position possible to win games and win a title. We are a better basketball team today than we were yesterday. It's not really close. We're also better positioned for the future.

The only legitimate criticism of this move that I see is that it could throw off our chemistry, which has been an asset for us. Surely some of our players are stunned or upset. But they're professionals. DWest tweeted today that perspective is everything. That could be interpreted a number of ways, but I read it as a clear "Step back, take a deep breath, and take an honest and unemotional look at the situation." Fast forward a few months assuming we keep DG and lose to MIA again...how pissed would we all be at that point if we knew this trade was on the table? What would our "classy move" be worth then? How much worse would we be positioned going into next year?

I expect DWest will make sure our guys have their priorities straight and he'll help them keep this move in perspective. I expect they'll be considerably less upset when they see what Turner can do for us--they may love DG but they all share an ultimate goal and we're closer to it now. Anything could happen, but all signs point to this being a great move from a purely basketball perspective. Look at the Spurs, who traded away a beloved player in GHill who wasn't going to be a key to a title for them--they got right back to the Finals and should have won it. That move wasn't a condemnation of Hill, it was an unemotional assessment of what they needed and what they could afford to lose while still contending. That's exactly what we did today.

Much respect to DG and wish him the best moving forward, but today is a great and exciting day to be a Pacers fan. Hope DG earns his next big payday in Philly.

In Bird we trust.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lurkster For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I know nothing of Allen. Curious to see if he sticks around past this summer or not. From the way more than a few of you talk, makes me think he and Cope combined are enough to justify letting Scola go this summer if we want to apply that $ differently.
    The LEAST costly move the Pacers can do in the offseason to shave off $4+ mil in SalaryCap is to simply let Scola go. Any other move ( like trying to dump Copeland or Mahinmi ) would likely cost the Pacers some assets and/or $$$....which I don't think the Pacers can nor should afford to pay.

I'd live with a Backup PF rotation of Copeland and Allen ( assuming that he pans out...which I think he can ) if it meant that we have the chance to re-sign Lance.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I'm sentimental for Danny, especially after that Paul George picture...but I don't know, I feel like Legend just isn't giving the championship up this year. All my trust with the Basketball Jesus. For the first time, I really, truly believe we'll win it this year. I'm very confident all of a sudden. It's not just Turner and Allen. It's that Legend is involved. And Legend wins championships.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    The LEAST costly move the Pacers can do in the offseason to shave off $4+ mil in SalaryCap is to simply let Scola go. Any other move ( like trying to dump Copeland or Mahinmi ) would likely cost the Pacers some assets and/or $$$....which I don't think the Pacers can nor should afford to pay.

I'd live with a Backup PF rotation of Copeland and Allen ( assuming that he pans out...which I think he can ) if it meant that we have the chance to re-sign Lance.
    Scola has a partial guaranteed contract. Not going to save 4+ mil.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It's the NBA. Everyone knows everyone else's offensive and defensive plays.
    Haha yes. I don't want to be mean to others...but it ain't exactly like saving an offensive gameplan for the Super Bowl. Teams are what they are in the NBA more than any other sport, really.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

I'm curious to see what the new banners in the entry pavilion will look like. I wonder if they will add a 6th player to replace Granger, go with just the starters, or put Vogel or Bird on the banners.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Do you realize that Copeland and Allen combined cost $7M next year? If we keep Allen he eats up the money we save by cutting Scola. But I'm hoping Allen plays so well that we want to keep him.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    He's only guaranteed $941k in the 2014-2015 season....my assumption is that if his unguaranteed contract isn't picked up.....the $941k will only be on the books.....not his full $4.87 mil salary.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

I thought we owed him like 4,900,00 dollars, and like 900,000 was guaranteed, so we'd save about 4 million, no?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Do you realize that Copeland and Allen combined cost $7M next year? If we keep Allen he eats up the money we save by cutting Scola. But I'm hoping Allen plays so well that we want to keep him.
    Lavoy Allen will be a RFA. I don't see him getting a $3 mil contract offer next season unless he totally takes off. I'd guess that he'd settle down near the $1 to 1.5 mil range....which is at most for a Backup Big Man.

Keep in mind...no matter what...if Scola is let go....the Pacers would still have to sign 3 Players...one of which would either be Turner or ( hopefully ) Lance....and ( maybe ) one of them could be Allen

As for Copeland...he's on the books no matter what. IMHO...I have always thought that Vogel/Bird signed Copeland to be the backup PF....if Scola is let go....they already have a backup PF waiting in the wings.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-21-2014 at 01:33 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

The emotional side of this trade didn't hit me right away. The basketball side took the majority of my emotions and I was excited.

As I see more and more about Granger, I am going to miss him. I really was not a fan of what his game became after his All-Star season, but I always admired his heart and passion for this team.

Looking at Wikipedia and seeing him listed as a 76er sucked.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I would like to see George Hill being the first sub out now (basically switching roles with Lance) and playing with Turner and the second unit. Lance and Turner replicate each other too much with their skill set, and we need all the perimeter shooting we can get in that unit. Plus if Turner starts to lose control, you have a veteran in there who can take over the ball handling duties or share them at the very least.
    I would have liked to have seen that with Granger as well. IMO a big part of Granger not scoring at the clip he could have was that he went from being the #1 option to being the second or 3 option when playing with the bench because Lance was almost always in there making himself the focus of the offense in the second unit. We don't need that from Lance and I don't think it's in the best interest of the team for Lance to ever be the #1 option on the floor. I think our entire bench would be better off if we had GH and David were the starters who played with them.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    The emotional side of this trade didn't hit me right away. The basketball side took the majority of my emotions and I was excited.

As I see more and more about Granger, I am going to miss him. I really was not a fan of what his game became after his All-Star season, but I always admired his heart and passion for this team.

Basically the same thing for me. Seeing the pictures and stuff made it a little more sad. Once people start making tribute videos and he returns to the Fieldhouse for the first time then I'll really feel it I think.
    Last edited by PGisthefuture; 02-21-2014 at 01:39 AM.

Lavoy Allen will be a RFA. I don't see him getting a $3 mil contract offer next season unless he totally takes off. I'd guess that he'd settle down near the $1 to 1.5 mil range....which is at most for a Backup Big Man.
    Allen will only be a RFA if we give him a $3.8M qualifying offer. If we don't give him the offer he'll be a UFA.

I can't see him staying with us for a big pay cut especially when he seems to be more productive than Copeland.

edit: I'm getting my salary info for Allen from ShamSports. I don't know if it's correct or not.
    http://data.shamsports.com/content/p...ies/sixers.jsp
    Last edited by Strummer; 02-21-2014 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post

I had Danny's profile on ESPN up before I left for work this afternoon, it was smiling Danny Granger in a Pacers uniform and our logo behind him. I came home and refreshed the page, stone cold serious face Danny in a 76ers uniform with their logo behind him. It made me sad.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I don't get people calling Bird "slimy" at all. What do you think Bird's job is? It's to guide the Pacers to a championship. This was the kind of move you make in order to accomplish that.

This isn't the feel-good friendship club. This isn't your adult rec league team with your college buddies. This isn't a charity club. It's professional basketball. Sometimes, tough decisions come with the territory. All the best to Danny, but my goodness, anyone criticizing Bird here is missing the point of the move, and his job, entirely.
    Who is calling Bird "slimy"? I haven't seen this anywhere.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

He's only guaranteed $941k in the 2014-2015 season....my assumption is that if his unguaranteed contract isn't picked up.....the $941k will only be on the books.....not his full $4.87 mil salary.
    That would be correct, but it isn't 4+ mil saved in salary cap as you put it. It's 3.9mil saved.

Also, with Copeland being a expiring this coming season, he should be able to be moved pretty easy and I'd sure would like to see him moved before Scola being cut and still have 920k going against the cap and no player to show for. I get that cutting Scola is the easy thing to do but doesn't make it the right thing. Time will tell soon enough tho.

Who is calling Bird "slimy"? I haven't seen this anywhere.
    I've seen it. I think it was in this thread. But it wasn't worth paying attention to.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Mood

I've seen it. I think it was in this thread. But it wasn't worth paying attention to.
    Good, cause that is just wracked!!!

Sports Logo

Allen will only be a RFA if we give him a $3.8M qualifying offer. If we don't give him the offer he'll be a UFA.

I can't see him staying with us for a big pay cut especially when he seems to be more productive than Copeland.

edit: I'm getting my salary info for Allen from ShamSports. I don't know if it's correct or not.
    Aren't the Pacers able to offer a qualifying offer to Allen and then ( if needed ) yank it ( like what they did with Hansbrough ? ).

Maybe try to make him an offer at $1.5 mil a year. I have no idea....at worst...just let him go then.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If it's on ShamSports, it's almost certainly correct.