Page 20 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Granger traded to Philly

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger traded to Philly

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Turner is a much better replacement for Lance than Granger, if we can not re-sign Lance. I hope we can though. There is 0% chance we can keep all 5 starters and Turner, correct?
    Pretty much.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So let me get this straight..,you would cut a player from the deepest front court we have seen on a team since sliced bread, but Miami wouldn't pick Big Baby up (with an open roster spot) because he couldn't play with the likes of Birdman or no knee oden? I doubt Birdman and Oden will be on the court together very much anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he is more skilled than athletic like, as you said, scola. Doesn't he have a decent jump shot also. He, like the rest of the Pacer PF, can be overpowered by the very atletic bigs, but holds his own with the rest of the guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    He can play. He was the #50 pick in the '11 Draft. He played at Temple for 4 years at the collegiate level. He is 6'9 with a good wingspan.

He had some very good games against the Celtics in the 11-12 ECSF. He averaged 8.5 PPG and 6.5 RPG in 25.7 MPG in the first 4 games of the series but then his time got diminished (I don't remember why).

He is a good rebounder and as far as I can recall he is a good defender as well. Offensively, he could pass at the collegiate level but that hasn't translate in his NBA numbers yet. He has some decent offensive skills although nothing spectacular. His athleticism is better than Scola's but he's not an athletic freak either.

He is one of the players that I like. Of course, I like a lot of bench bigs so that doesn't say a lot. I definitely like the fact that he is part of the deal, though. It will be fun rooting for him

I haven't read through this whole thread, so I apologize if this has been brought up, but the Pacers will get a $4.28 million trade exception with this trade. Since they won't be going under the cap, they'll have until nearly next year's trade deadline to use it.

They may not, due to luxury tax concerns, but it adds a little bit of flexibility to the Pacers next year.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

5. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I could see our bench being........

Allen
    Cope
    Bynum
    Turner
    Watson

Copeland is a small forward. Some people say stretch 4 but he's 6'8 235. To be a PF you have to at least be 6'9 in most cases. Or possess a massive girth or upper body like Big Baby Davis. Copeland isn't thick, or super bulky in the upper body.
    I don't think Vogel will ever trot out a second unit completely devoid of starters, unless we are in some serious foul trouble.

My guess is Allen won't make the rotation unless there are some injuries. Copeland is a stretch 4; he cannot defend wings. To be honest, he's probably a defensive liability either way, but if he gets minutes, it's going to be at the 4.

I know a lot of people are saying this makes basketball sense, but unless you are talking about having Turner as Lance's replacement next year I'm not so sure that is the case. Turner only shoots 42.8%. This isn't, oh he takes a lot of threes so he is still scoring efficiently 42.8%. No this is he doesn't shoot 3's and still only shoots 42.8%. His TS% and 3FG% are not good, and this is a good season for him. His TS% is only 1.3% better than Granger. He turns the ball over at a higher rate than Paul George does. Then apparently he also does not play much defense.

I don't watch a lot of Philly, are you guys sure this makes the team better? Cause right now the only way I see this as possibly making this team better is if you believe Butler is a better player than Granger. Which currently may be the case if all you want is a shooter. If that is the case, it may have been more prudent just to play Butler at SG and Lance as the backup PG.

This honestly does not seem like a championship move at all. Championship moves tend to be the ones who find a reliable veteran player who fills a need. Not a young, inefficient player who mimics an already filled need.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Just curious Grimp, what is your opinion the Granger for Turner and Allen deal?

I think Evan is a good shooter. He's not as accurate as Danny when he was the old Danny. But Turner isn't a terrible jump shooter. He gets most of his shots in the midrange. But he can get hot. Scored 24 on the Knicks earlier in the season. He carried Philly in that victory. Without him, they lose that one.

Off the bench, he will do well because he's on a better team. And because there's not super pressure on him. In Philly, he was to be THE MAN. In Indy, we want sixth man stuff from him. That'll allow him to play within his talent level. Philly wanted Melo numbers from him every night. Wasn't gonna happen. He's a pure scorer and shooter. But not a 3 point bomber. It's a good deal. We get younger, more versatile, and Lavoy Allen is a bonus. Guy can shoot from Scola range, and he's active around the basket. Both of these guys will shine now that they are out of Philadelphia.

I could see our bench being........

Allen
    Cope
    Bynum
    Turner
    Watson

Copeland is a small forward. Some people say stretch 4 but he's 6'8 235. To be a PF you have to at least be 6'9 in most cases. Or possess a massive girth or upper body like Big Baby Davis. Copeland isn't thick, or super bulky in the upper body.
    In today's NBA, Copeland can guard a lot of 4's, he may not even have to guard a 4 (West guards Shumpert vs. NYK). Now obviously there are still many PF's Cope would stuggle to handle (Aldridge, Love, Griffin, Davis), but he can certainly play the 4

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I know a lot of people are saying this makes basketball sense, but unless you are talking about having Turner as Lance's replacement next year I'm not so sure that is the case. Turner only shoots 42.8%. This isn't, oh he takes a lot of threes so he is still scoring efficiently 42.8%. No this is he doesn't shoot 3's and still only shoots 42.8%. His TS% and 3FG% are not good, and this is a good season for him. His TS% is only 1.3% better than Granger. He turns the ball over at a higher rate than Paul George does. Then apparently he also does not play much defense.

I don't watch a lot of Philly, are you guys sure this makes the team better? Cause right now the only way I see this as possibly making this team better is if you believe Butler is a better player than Granger. Which currently may be the case if all you want is a shooter. If that is the case, it may have been more prudent just to play Butler at SG and Lance as the backup PG.

This honestly does not seem like a championship move at all. Championship moves tend to be the ones who find a reliable veteran player who fills a need. Not a young, inefficient player who mimics an already filled need.
    If Turner can give us 11 ppg off the bench an 41% and up shooting, it will certainly be worth it

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I don't think Vogel will ever trot out a second unit completely devoid of starters, unless we are in some serious foul trouble.

My guess is Allen won't make the rotation unless there are some injuries. Copeland is a stretch 4; he cannot defend wings. To be honest, he's probably a defensive liability either way, but if he gets minutes, it's going to be at the 4.

In a 10 man rotation, you might. It's a good luxury to have. The less minutes the starters play, the fresher they are for that playoff run. Let Lebron put up 45 a game and be sputtering by playoff time. After the Heat have to go through Brooklyn and whomever else to get to Indy.

In a 10 man rotation, you might. It's a good luxury to have. The less minutes the starters play, the fresher they are for that playoff run. Let Lebron put up 45 a game and be sputtering by playoff time. After the Heat have to go through Brooklyn and whomever else to get to Indy.
    You keep saying this 10 man rotation thing--where are you getting that from? I have never once seen anyone mention going to a 10 man rotation or wanting to do so, save for your posts on the subject.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Could Danny Granger retire and the Pacers sign him as a coach for the remainder of the season?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorgeHill View Post
    So let me get this straight..,you would cut a player from the deepest front court we have seen on a team since sliced bread, but Miami wouldn't pick Big Baby up (with an open roster spot) because he couldn't play with the likes of Birdman or no knee oden? I doubt Birdman and Oden will be on the court together very much anyway

I doubt it. If they sign Big Baby, that means Birdman or Oden don't play. Big Baby is a PF. So he plays with Birdman, or Oden plays with Birdman. Can't have all 3 out there. I could see us cutting Lavoy Allen and adding Big Baby. But I think Big Baby would fit best with the Clippers or OKC.
    Edit: my original post was supposed to quote Grimp, my apologies

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsforlife View Post
    Could Danny Granger retire and the Pacers sign him as a coach for the remainder of the season?
    I think Danny still wants to play, but I am all for giving him some job within our organization after he hangs it up

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I liked Granger also and hoped he would get back to at least 75% of what he was, he never got close, I lot of fans don't seem to want to accept it though. Several plays Danny didn't even make and effort on, really flipped the switch for me. From that moment, I never thought Danny would help us at all this season.

Thrilled with the trade, Turners a damn good player, Danny's not anymore, that's enough for me. Lance may have a higher ceiling, but Turner is as good right now IMO. Great Insurance for Lance leaving.

This trade has re-energized me, the team has really struggled lately and had me worried.

Brilliant move by Larry and Pritch!
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    If Turner can give us 11 ppg off the bench an 41% and up shooting, it will certainly be worth it
    Not if the guy he is guarding is putting up 13ppg on 45% shooting.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

I'm not one who normally says this, but numbers don't tell the whole story with Turner. Number one, he was pretty much the number one option when he should be a 3rd option on a good team and more of a 4th option on a championship team. He's not a great shooter but he does have a nice pull up, mid range game. He's not a great individual defender, but he's not a complete liability either. He's a good ball handler, and is a guy that can get easy shots within the half court. He's also a good finisher in both the open court and "in-between" area AND is a good passer as well.

Without having to worry about the best defensive perimeter player guarding him, Turner should be able to be a bit more efficient (ALA Stephenson who is crazy wild but shoots 50% because he has lesser defenders guarding him).
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 02-20-2014 at 08:59 PM.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

I'm not high on the trade, but I will say that Turner played against starters and is averaging 17-18PPG. I don't believe Danny could do that.

Also, the last time Danny had a better FG% was 2009-10...so let's not throw the tomatoes too hard.

Then you have the fact Turner shot over 36% from 3 last year. That's really not that bad. Not for a weakness. Not when he's coming off the bench for the Pacers.

Then you have the fact Copeland might just be the answer for stretching the floor off the bench and it's not a bad move and might be a net positive.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    You keep saying this 10 man rotation thing--where are you getting that from? I have never once seen anyone mention going to a 10 man rotation or wanting to do so, save for your posts on the subject.
    When rumors of the Pacers adding a scorer started cropping up, some of the NBA twitter/blog people were saying they heard from sources Indy wanted a 10 man rotation. Considering it was a 1 for 2 trade (2nd round pick is a blank currently)...I believe this to be the case.

Not if the guy he is guarding is putting up 13ppg on 45% shooting.
    Good thing basketball is a team game and he went from having Hawes protecting his back to Hibbert/Mahimi

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lolwuttermelons For This Useful Post:

Mood

When rumors of the Pacers adding a scorer started cropping up, some of the NBA twitter/blog people were saying they heard from sources Indy wanted a 10 man rotation. Considering it was a 1 for 2 trade (2nd round pick is a blank currently)...I believe this to be the case.
    Can you please provide at least ONE source? Please???

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorgeHill For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Chuck thinks this trade puts us over the top.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorgeHill View Post
    Edit: my original post was supposed to quote Grimp, my apologies

We don't owe Lavoy Allen anything, considering he just became a Pacer like 3 hours ago. So lets say you cut him or waive or whatever and sign Big Baby. That would be smart. No hard feelings there. Big Baby has played and contributed in some big time playoff games. People forget how vital he was to that Celtics team when the big three there were first formed. Now for Miami, it's a sentimental thing really. They have put so much work into Oden. Getting him ready with his knees and all. And then Birdman who has become kind of a fixture on that team now. Could they really tell either of those two guys to take a backseat to Big Baby?

"I'm your huckleberry"

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post

Did this raise anyone else's eyebrow? I noticed throughout the year on Pacers telecasts that Denari, Quinn, and even Brooke would be brief most times when talking about Granger. There was never any mention of an off-season decision looming, very little talk early this season about his impact and when he would return from injury. I assumed he would be traded--nice to see the Pacers found an upgrade.

Also, all of these teary-eyed Granger fans are probably the same people who were wearing orange when Manning played the Colts earlier this year. I don't get rooting for a player over rooting for your favorite TEAM. Wish the guy well, but if Manning, Reggie, Smits, Hibbert, PG, Lance--IDGAF who--aren't helping the Pacers or Colts win, then they are helping them lose and that is reason enough for me to root against them as much as I root against the Heat, Knicks, Lakers, Patriots, Ravens, etc.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

35. The Following User Says Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:

Mood

"George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post: