Page 45 of 55 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1359

Thread: Granger traded to Philly

Default Re: Granger traded to Philly

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I learned very early in life that championships are all that matters in the end. The closest thing the fans get is a championship celebration.
    I always disagree when someone says that! I see the journey as what matters. For example Reggie Miller never won a championship, but boy did he provide a lot of highlight memories for Pacer fans throughout his years. Just watching him at the end of a game was a treat in itself. Detroit won a championship in the same era, but I wouldn't trade my memories of that era for yours.

Now you could come back and say you had a lot of great Detroit memories from the same era. Detroit was in the eastern conference finals for about 6 out of 7 years, but you're already said that only championships matter to you in the end. Myself I would have loved the 7 year journey!

I just disagree that championships are all that matter in the end! The journey is the thing, a championship would have just been the cherry on top.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    holy cow I was busy and missed this until just now, I am going to miss Danny and if he gets cut and ends up in Miami I am going to really freak out.
    They are saying this morning (Feb.25) if he gets a buyout he wants to play for a contender. I would say that is Miami, Oklahoma, Clippers, and Spurs.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Danny gave them a discount in his most productive years. HE was averaging 25pts making only 10 million.

Insurance picked up most of his salary last season. So its not like the Pacers were out 14 million. Or even 20 Million? Not sure where you get the 20 Million from.
    This is completely and totally false.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Wouldn't Miami signing Liggins pretty well rule out Danny signing with them? Unless they cut Liggins 4 days after singing him to a 10 day contract. Or they cut one of their other guys under contract.

Danny has to be signed by Saturday to be playoff eligible.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sources......

Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    They are saying this morning (Feb.25) if he gets a buyout he wants to play for a contender. I would say that is Miami, Oklahoma, Clippers, and Spurs.
    Everybody would love to play for a contender.

A contender has to also want you to play for them.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I always disagree when someone says that! I see the journey as what matters. For example Reggie Miller never won a championship, but boy did he provide a lot of highlight memories for Pacer fans throughout his years. Just watching him at the end of a game was a treat in itself. Detroit won a championship in the same era, but I wouldn't trade my memories of that era for yours.

Now you could come back and say you had a lot of great Detroit memories from the same era. Detroit was in the eastern conference finals for about 6 out of 7 years, but you're already said that only championships matter to you in the end. Myself I would have loved the 7 year journey!

I just disagree that championships are all that matter in the end! The journey is the thing, a championship would have just been the cherry on top.
    You missed the part when I already clarified this.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...=1#post1791985

I don't mean that nothing else matters. I mean the championship matters the most. The journey is also what makes it the most important.

As far as not trading the Reggie Miller era for the pistons....any fan if any team is going to say that, and honestly mean it.

I'll leave you with this scenario, though. If you could have traded Reggie in 2004 for a much more productive player that would have gotten you past Detroit and won a championship, you'd have done it.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-25-2014 at 01:04 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

“Off the court, he’s a different dude. He’s a guy without a filter. Some people think about things they say, he doesn’t. But that’s my guy. He’s going to be big for Indiana I believe so. He’ll help them out big and they got a real opportunity here to try to bring that ‘ship home.”
    -Nick Young on Evan Turner

Honestly, that isn't really news to me. I read Titus' book and it had quite a bit about the prickly nature of The Villain in there. Not that it's a bad thing, I just think it's funny.

http://blogs.pacers.com/2014/02/25/n...-bynum-turner/

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I'll leave you with this scenario, though. If you could have traded Reggie in 2004 for a much more productive player that would have gotten you past Detroit and won a championship, you'd have done it.
    I'm not sure about that, but it's an extreme and unique situation and has nothing to do with pretty much any other top player in the history of the team.

By 2004, it was clear Reggie was going to get his number retired here. You have to be pretty damn sure your player coming in is a 100% lock to get you the title vs. the guy you are sending out in that case - and, during the actual 2003-2004 season, there was no reason to believe the Pacers weren't as strong as they needed to be (at least, until the Pistons trade for Sheed, which was as I recall right at the deadline). Reggie was putting up 10 PPG but was known for turning it on in the playoffs, so trading him for the playoffs would have been even more a matter of looking into a crystal ball.

Now, change any one of those things (expected retired number player, great regular season from the team, player who was expected to be built for the playoffs) and you might be right.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

Honestly, that isn't really news to me. I read Titus' book and it had quite a bit about the prickly nature of The Villain in there. Not that it's a bad thing, I just think it's funny.

Do you remember any examples from the book? That kind of stuff is fun to read.

Worth clicking on the link.

I really hope he doesn't sign with Miami:

"'They're very comparable,' an Eastern Conference scout said. 'Granger is better off the ball, Butler a little tougher.' The scout said Granger lost a step, but Butler isn't clearly better, and the scout would lean toward Granger for Miami because the Heat could pick his brain on Pacers' personnel and tendencies, adding 'that definitely has value beyond what you get studying film.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    Wouldn't Miami signing Liggins pretty well rule out Danny signing with them? Unless they cut Liggins 4 days after singing him to a 10 day contract. Or they cut one of their other guys under contract.

Danny has to be signed by Saturday to be playoff eligible.
    No I believe he just has to be waived by Saturday and clear waivers.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This is completely and totally false.
    I hope you can back up that kind of statement. Danny could have held out for RFA got a max contract. He signed his deal, made the allstar team that year. Infact I don't even think the money is his deal was even on the books yet. So he made the allstar team on his rookie contract.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Do you remember any examples from the book? That kind of stuff is fun to read.
    Off the top of my head I cannot, as it's been a few years since I read it. Here's something a quick Google search turned up:

"The most prominent of these characters was The Villain (Turner), who I’m not sure can even be adequately described with just words. But words are all I’ve got right now, so I’ll give it a try anyway: The Villain was an insecure, socially feebleminded, possibly bipolar, and often callous perfectionist who had all the talent in the world, who lacked self-confidence and the ability to trust in anybody around him, who was actually one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet when he wanted to be, and who would frequently walk around our locker room with his dick flopped over the waistband of his pants. That really is the best description I can possibly give. It should be noted that in his sophomore season he wasn’t quite as big of a hothead as he was the season before, but he still consistently made things entertaining."
    http://www.crossingbroad.com/2012/03...eing-nuts.html

Here's another:

"I’ve scheduled this practice for an hour and a half. That’s only 90 minutes. Today we’re going to see how long it takes before Evan loses his mind. I’ve got the countdown on my watch and if Evan lasts the entire 90 minutes without a meltdown, the team won’t run today. But if he freaks out, we’ll run a suicide for every minute left on the countdown. So, for example, he loses it an hour into practice, everyone will run 30 suicides. Evan, the entire team’s fate lies in your hands. Don’t let your teammates down."

When I walked over to Evan’s basket, he smacked his lips and said, "What are you doing over here, walk-on?" while in the middle of one of his free throws. (Yes, he called me "walk-on.")

I explained that Coach Matta had asked me to shoot with him and that we were supposed to shoot five free throws at a time before we switched. He seemed cool with this, shot his five free throws, and then stepped off the free throw line to switch spots with me without any trouble. And that’s when, to put it eloquently, **** went down.

Before I go any further with this story, it should be noted that I faced up to 10 suicides if Evan lost his cool, so it’s not as if I was actively trying to **** him off. But as I soon found out, I didn’t have to try with Evan. As we switched spots, I handed him the ball and asked him to toss me a bounce pass once I got lined up, just like a referee would do if I were shooting free throws in a game. But he apparently interpreted this as "roll the ball on the ground before I even get set so it hits my feet, makes me bend over, and completely destroys my rhythm." I picked the ball up and got situated at the free throw line before I gently tossed it back to Evan and again asked him to throw me a bounce pass. This time he fired a chest pass at me.

Now, I admit that I probably should’ve taken the high road at this point and just shot the free throws, but my pride kicked in and wouldn’t let Evan get the best of me, so I threw the ball back and once again asked him to simply throw me a bounce pass. As soon as the ball hit his hands, he rocketed it right back and yelled, "Just shoot the ****ing ball!" so loudly that he got the attention of everyone in the gym, including Coach Matta. But instead of blowing his whistle and making us run, Coach decided to sit back and watch everything unfold.

I shot my free throws and switched spots with Evan, who had been standing underneath the basket rebounding for me (and throwing passes back to me as hard as he could). As we walked past each other, Evan called me a ***** under his breath and threw his shoulder at my face, connecting square with my chin. Coach Matta instantly blew his whistle and yelled, "There it is! Everyone on the line!"

And with that, Evan had finally had his meltdown.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I really hope he doesn't sign with Miami:
    Kind of hope he does. He'd make the Heat worse.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

That's something I don't like about how the Pacers handle things...every time a popular player is traded, they let out/make up some negative piece of information about him that they never hinted at, while he was playing. I remember this for DC for sure...I'm posiitive there were others too

Off the top of my head I cannot, as it's been a few years since I read it. Here's something a quick Google search turned up:

Here's another:
    That does not make me feel good about him on the team, sounds like lance times 100! Lol

Here's another:
    Well that just makes me all warm and tingly.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    That's something I don't like about how the Pacers handle things...every time a popular player is traded, they let out/make up some negative piece of information about him that they never hinted at, while he was playing. I remember this for DC for sure...I'm posiitive there were others too
    It happens with everyone, and these "articles" that are written could be written by a ton of people here on PD.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Well that just makes me all warm and tingly.

Yeah basketball players with egos, who would have ever thunk it.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    The Pacers wrote negative things about Danny? Where?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

All I can say is that we're looking at an increase in Miami Heat "fans" in the playoffs if Danny signs with them. Certainly not the vast numbers who flocked to the Broncos when Manning left, but there's an awful lot of people out there saying Danny was the only thing that kept them a Pacer fan so they'll follow him wherever he goes.
    BillS

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    All I can say is that we're looking at an increase in Miami Heat "fans" in the playoffs if Danny signs with them. Certainly not the vast numbers who flocked to the Broncos when Manning left, but there's an awful lot of people out there saying Danny was the only thing that kept them a Pacer fan so they'll follow him wherever he goes.
    Bill you're going to need to show me all these people saying that since your track record recently is to assume the worst, including betting me that PG's dunk against the Clippers would not be number 1 on SportsCenter that night.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: