Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Granger traded to Philly

Default Re: Granger traded to Philly

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/232087/Granger-Pissed-When-Told-Of-Trade-Could-Sign-With-Heat-Or-Spurs

Granger 'Pissed' When Told Of Trade, Could Sign With Heat Or Spurs

Feb 21, 2014 11:53 AM EST

Danny Granger was "pissed" when he learned that he had been traded by the Indiana Pacers to the Philadelphia 76ers, according to a league source.

Granger had spent his entire career with the Pacers' organization.

Many around the NBA expect Granger to sign with either the Miami Heat or San Antonio Spurs assuming he is waived.

Via Jake Fischer/Boston Globe

This is is really considered reporting now? Lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Yes, a RealGM report by an unnamed author that references a "source" and a single tweet from a Boston Globe columnist. Must be legit.
    he's not even a Globe columnist, the only thing he has on their site is high school roundup blurbs

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

RealGM blows.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Not trying to bag on Danny, but if that's true, then maybe he should have shown a little more fire when he played this season. I hate when guys are "pissed" because they are called on not living up to expectations. If you don't want to get traded, play better.
    I think all of the Pacers would be "pissed" if they got traded to Philly right now.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Um Granger is pretty damn strong. I think he could hold his own against David West. Excellent post defender.
    ..... he is strong, for a small forward, but not David West strong.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Danny should just chill, he doesn't want to lose leverage in negotiating a buy out.

I think Philly is going to end up keeping him.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Not trying to bag on Danny, but if that's true, then maybe he should have shown a little more fire when he played this season. I hate when guys are "pissed" because they are called on not living up to expectations. If you don't want to get traded, play better.
    Wha??? More Fire Isn't an indication of playing better. Danny played pretty well trying to fit into his new role. He drove and dished it off for easy baskets plenty of times. He played pretty good defense when called upon, sure he still has the bad habits of slacking off his man too much. He just couldn't hit his shots like we are used to seeing. Its not a measure of "Fire" or passion for the game. He just didn't hit shots.

I never thought once that Danny Granger cost the Pacers any games, he just couldn't hit shots anymore, or get quality shots off.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    ..... he is strong, for a small forward, but not David West strong.
    Doesn't have to be David West Strong to defend David West. In a ISO match up in the post Danny Granger is a great defender, he has shut down the likes of Blake Griffin, Dirk, and Chris Bosh in his prime. I dont' think David West would man handle Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Except I can actually defend my comments with fact, which I've done for the better part of 7 years. It seems Indy fans are the only one's who view Granger in such a positive light. Was the "most overrated Pacer in history" comment a bit hyperbole? Sure. But you could very much make the case. I'd put Granger right there with Rose, Croshere, and JO as most overrated in this team's history. As for the rest of my post, tell me how this isn't the case. NBA history is littered with examples of players who put up huge numbers on poor teams. And then when the games mean something, their shooting drastically falls off. Which has been the case through Granger's career. Anybody who wishes to disagree with that need only to look at the facts.

Doesn't have to be David West Strong to defend David West. In a ISO match up in the post Danny Granger is a great defender, he has shut down the likes of Blake Griffin, Dirk, and Chris Bosh in his prime. I dont' think David West would man handle Danny.
    And none of those three play the style that West does.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Except I can actually defend my comments with fact, which I've done for the better part of 7 years. It seems Indy fans are the only one's who view Granger in such a positive light. Was the "most overrated Pacer in history" comment a bit hyperbole? Sure. But you could very much make the case. I'd put Granger right there with Rose, Croshere, and JO as most overrated in this team's history. As for the rest of my post, tell me how this isn't the case. NBA history is littered with examples of players who put up huge numbers on poor teams. And then when the games mean something, their shooting drastically falls off. Which has been the case through Granger's career. Anybody who wishes to disagree with that need only to look at the facts.
    What was it Mr. Rogers used to say?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Anybody else listen to Peter Dinwiddie on JMV a few days ago? He heaped plenty of praise on Danny and talked about how he'd be an asset in the playoffs. Shows how quickly things can change in the NBA I guess.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Danny Granger is a notoriously slow starter. I really was beginning to think with time that his shot would have started falling. His post defense was actually above average. My best memory of him this year was him defending and shutting down Blake Griffin that game D West was ejected. Can anyone with more knowledge of Evan Turner tell me anything about his post defense? Is he a viable off the bench defender for LeBron James in spot minutes?

And am I wrong if I say Evan Turner (although I admit my exposure to him playing is a bit low) reminds me of a slightly more versatile version of Courtney Lee?

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Do you think there is any possibility Granger will be bought out and then signed by Miami?

Sounds to me like he and Big Baby Davis could end up in LA with the Clippers.

Ever think this is a ploy by Bird and Granger to get bought out by Philly, sign with Miami and destroy them from the inside...

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerblue For This Useful Post:

Actually the more I watch highlights, the more I'm convinced my comparison to Courtney Lee is spot on. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong and completely change that perspective, cause I was never a fan of his game. I'd like to know more about his defensive abilities, other than the fact he's a somewhat below average three point shooter, and an inefficient first option on a bad team.

I think Bird needs to give this trade alittle more lip service for the fans sake. Certainly needs to express some more gratitude for Danny Granger. You don't just trade away a 9 year veteran, all-star, face of the franchise and only release a brief thank you statement.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 02-21-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Apologize if this has been posted. Trade come up 30 minutes before the deadline

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacer...n-move-granger

Pacers Make Tough Decision to Move Granger

by Mark Montieth | askmontieth@gmail.com

February 20, 2014 | Updated 11:54 PM

In strict basketball terms, it was a good trade for the Pacers.

In emotional human terms, it was a horrible trade for Danny Granger.

Professional sports is a tough business, a bottom-line business, with the primary bottom line being winning. Larry Bird is a sensitive man who cares about people and their feelings, but he's paid to care mostly about winning. Thus, Granger was traded to Philadelphia on Thursday, while Evan Turner and Lavoy Allen won the lottery and joined a contender.

Bird also had to release one of his sentimental favorites, backup guard Orlando Johnson, to stay at the 15-man roster limit. Bird had drafted Johnson in the second round two summers ago, and awarded him a two-year guaranteed contract. Johnson showed promise the second half of last season, but his jump shot went awry and he had fallen out of the playing rotation.

In short, the Pacers gave up an aging but still viable player (and a 2015 second-round draft pick) for two young ones with fresher legs and potential for improvement. Just where that potential will be realized – or not – remains to be seen, but for now it seems a favorable exchange for the Pacers, who also received a trade exception in the deal.

The trade came together less than half an hour before Thursday's 3 p.m. deadline when Philadelphia backed off its stated demand for a first-round pick and accepted a second-rounder instead. The tip-off for the last-minute nature of the trade was that Granger played 18 minutes in the Pacers' loss at Minnesota on Wednesday. Normally, players on the verge of being traded are left on the bench to avoid an injury that could cancel the deal.

Turner, the centerpiece of the swap, is productive, intriguing and provides flexibility for the Pacers on the court, and perhaps off. He's averaging a team-best 17.4 points, with the caveat of the 76ers' woeful 15-win record and their fast pace of play. He was the consensus national college player of the year at Ohio State in 2010, and the second pick in the draft that year but had not panned out well enough in first-year general manager Sam Hinkie's eyes to be offered an extension to his rookie contract at the Oct. 31 deadline.

He becomes a free agent this summer, but the Pacers can keep him for another season with a qualifying offer of $8.7 million. That means he could become an option if the Pacers are unable to sign free agent Lance Stephenson. Turner also could be re-signed and traded, or simply allowed to sign with another team. Regardless, the deal was made with the rest of this season in mind.

The trade received mostly favorable acceptance from NBA media when it was sprung on the public after Thursday's deadline, but you still have to feel for Granger. His timing turned out to be terrible, leaving him the lucrative but unfulfilling task of being the face of the franchise during its lean years. He arrived in 2005, a steal for the 17th pick in the draft, and was a rookie on a team still regarded as a title contender with veterans such as Jermaine O'Neal, Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, Austin Croshere and Jeff Foster. Artest's in-season trade demand, however, began a breakup and rebuilding process that persisted until last season – which Granger missed except for five games with knee injuries and a surgery.

During that time, Granger averaged at least 18.7 points over five consecutive seasons, peaking at 25.8 in 2008-09, when he made his only All-Star appearance and was voted the team's Most Improved Player. He was the team's leading scorer all five of those seasons, and also became the first player in NBA history to lift his scoring average at least five points in three consecutive seasons.

Entering this season, Granger was regarded as a likely starter if he could regain his athleticism of previous seasons. He wasn't able to play until Dec. 31, however, by which time Lance Stephenson's play and the Pacers' record made it illogical to make a drastic lineup change.

It was then hoped that Granger would become the primary scorer off the Pacers' bench. He moved well and played without pain, but had yet to recover his jump shot. After making his delayed debut, he scored in double figures in eight of his first 10 games, but managed to do so in just two of his previous 10. He averaged 8.3 points in 29 appearances overall, shooting 36 percent from the field, 33 percent from three-point range and 96 percent from the foul line.

Turner shoots better from the field (43 percent) than Granger, but worse from three-point range (29 percent). He's an inch shorter (6-7), but a more flexible athlete who can score in a wider variety of ways, and at five years younger has fewer miles on his legs. He's also regarded as superior in pick-and-roll situations.

Allen, a 6-9 power forward, was averaging 5.2 points for the 76ers, hitting 44 percent of his shots. He was a second-round pick of the 76ers in 2011, and a rotational player throughout most of his three seasons there. He started 37 games last season, when he averaged 5.8 points. He's regarded primarily for his defense, but appears unlikely to fit into the Pacers' rotation unless an injury creates an opening.

Granger's future with the 76ers is unclear. He could be released, so that he can sign as a free agent with a playoff team. Or, he'll play out the season and hope to sign a free agent contract this summer. It was a harsh ending to his career in Indianapolis, but ultimately just another reminder of the nature of the business of basketball.

Winning trumps sentiment almost every time. Especially when you're trying to win a championship.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-21-2014 at 01:55 PM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

I think Bird needs to give this trade alittle more lip service for the fans sake. Certainly needs to express some more gratitude for Danny Granger. You don't just trade away a 9 year veteran, all-star, face of the franchise and only release a brief thank you statement.
    Read Candace Buckner's tweets... He already has.

or this story:

Last edited by tadscout; 02-21-2014 at 02:02 PM.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

34. The Following User Says Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Mood

"George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

I just thought of something, didn't Evan Turner say something about how the Pacers/Roy get away iwth more fouls than any other team after we beat them earlier in the year?

I thought I remembered him being pissed about something and saying something to the media or on twitter after the game?

I didn't say it earlier but was thinking it, but in a way I'm kind of relieved we did this trade because along with Danny struggling, and along with Lance et al making it tougher than it had to be to get him going (IMO), I also felt he was playing without fire and sometimes just plain lazy (or if not lazy, careless) on defense (like falling asleep on Korver the other night), and while I have faith in his ability to regain much of his offensive potency in the right circumstances... he does look slower than he used to, and that's rough on anyone expected to guard a wing in this league.

I think his future is at PF now.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post

LaVoy and Turner haven't tweeted since the trade.