Page 24 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Granger traded to Philly

Default Re: Granger traded to Philly

I wonder what Bird meant about strengthening our core unit. A "just in case" someone throws stupid money at Lance?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why cut Orlando?

I just don't get that, I thought he still had a chance to be productive in the future. The trade should have made Butler expendable; that would have made more sense to me. Orlando was quite possibly our preseason MVP. He looked pretty bad during the regular season this year when he got a chance, but I still hadn't given up hope on him. My guess is that they thought the veteran presence that Butler brings to the locker room was more important than the upside of Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by VideoVandal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why cut Orlando?

I just don't get that, I thought he still had a chance to be productive in the future. The trade should have made Butler expendable; that would have made more sense to me. Orlando was quite possibly our preseason MVP. He looked pretty bad during the regular season this year when he got a chance, but I still hadn't given up hope on him. My guess is that they thought the veteran presence that Butler brings to the locker room was more important than the upside of Orlando.
    they can't have 16 players. someone had to go.

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    And he was a cheap someone.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Why cut Orlando?

and then they got Solomon Hill who they liked more as well

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

An interesting thing I just realized, out of all 10 of our bench players now, Ian is the only one who was here last season...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    I know but why him and not Butler? I mean I love what Butler has done for us when he has gotten the chance, but with this trade Butler won't sniff the floor again so why not keep the upside guy? I thought for sure the cut would be Butler or Lavoy when I heard bout the trade, not happy it was Orlando.

I know but why him and not Butler? I mean I love what Butler has done for us when he has gotten the chance, but with this trade Butler won't sniff the floor again so why not keep the upside guy? I thought for sure the cut would be Butler or Lavoy when I heard bout the trade, not happy it was Orlando.
    Because obviously they have more faith on Solomon Hill in terms of future, and in case of an injury, Butler is the better player, no if's and but's about that. You can't just assume everyone is going to be 100% healthy the rest of the season

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

I understand keeping Butler - he's been very rock solid for us and have kept the younger guys calm when they were antsy.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Because obviously they have more faith on Solomon Hill in terms of future, and in case of an injury, Butler is the better player, no if's and but's about that. You can't just assume everyone is going to be 100% healthy the rest of the season
    True but if an injury happens I'd rather Copeland get the shot at the playing time than Butler anyways. So to me after this trade Butler is probably 2 injuries away from playing this year again. Maybe they never intend on playing Cope at the wing though even if an injury happens. If that is the case then yes Butler can be valuable as the back up wing, but I'd rather keep Orlando and go with Cope if an injury happens personally.

True but if an injury happens I'd rather Copeland get the shot at the playing time than Butler anyways. So to me after this trade Butler is probably 2 injuries away from playing this year again. Maybe they never intend on playing Cope at the wing though even if an injury happens. If that is the case then yes Butler can be valuable as the back up wing, but I'd rather keep Orlando and go with Cope if an injury happens personally.
    so you would want Cope being a back-up wing on the perimeter guarding LeBron?

Mood

I honestly don't think OJ has that much upside, plus he's been useless this year

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

we are in win-now mode. butler is a better player right now.
    better to keep a guy who can help you more now than a guy who might help you somewhere down the line.

so you would want Cope being a back-up wing on the perimeter guarding LeBron?
    Obviously in situations like that you would go Solomon Hill. Copeland logged most of his minutes last year for the Knicks at wing so he is not unfamiliar with it, and this would be IF an injury happened not first option. Also I'm fine with Cope playing back up wing against the Heat just have him defend Battier you obviously wouldn't play him same time that LeBron is on the court.

I wonder which two players won't dress. Solomon Hill feels like safe money, but the other? I guess Donald Sloan and play Turner or Lance as the emergency PG if something goes wrong in the game, but that does not leave much backcourt depth. I don't think Mahinmi, Copeland, Scola, Allen, or Bynum deserve to not dress though. That's what I am curious about.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Obviously in situations like that you would go Solomon Hill. Copeland logged most of his minutes last year for the Knicks at wing so he is not unfamiliar with it, and this would be IF an injury happened not first option. Also I'm fine with Cope playing back up wing against the Heat just have him defend Battier you obviously wouldn't play him same time that LeBron is on the court.
    When would OJ even play next season? I think its clear they plan on giving Solomon Hill all the back-up wing minutes next season

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Finally finished reading the whole thread. I feel for those of you who really connected with Danny as a part of the team. I will always appreciate how he helped bridge the gap between our last great team and this one. He played hard and backed down from no one. That being said, if this move helps us win it all the feeling of joy and happiness which will permeate this board and the city of Indy will make it worth it.

I unabashedly jumped on the Spurs band wagon during their first championship run and it has been a fun trip. Last season when it looked like we night play them I was asked by several people if it would be hard for me to choose who to root for. I said, "It isn't even close. When the Spurs play the Pacers they are the enemy and I root as hard against them as I do the Heat or anyone else." As hard as i rooted for the Spurs in those game threads last season, i would have rooted against them had it been us. I just want it to happen again and this time have it finally end up with us on top. I can't think of a better way for Slick to enter the hall than as a representative of the NBA champions.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    But Danny does know ALL of our offensive and defensive plays... /smh

This is gonna come back to bite the Pacers right in the posterior region...
    I would almost bet the farm, that Miami is going to pick him up....
    DAMMIT! I am p.o.'d right now...
    It's the NBA. Everyone knows everyone else's offensive and defensive plays.

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

When would OJ even play next season? I think its clear they plan on giving Solomon Hill all the back-up wing minutes next season
    Yea I guess you are right I personally like Solomon's upside a lot more anyways. I just hadn't given up on OJ I thought he could be a good 3rd string wing with potential to be a rotation guy next year. I guess I just always liked his potential since we drafted him and even went as far as watching him play in Fort Wayne. So I am probably sentimentally bias when it comes to him as he was the guy I held hope for to make that draft class not totally pointless which now I guess it officially was since both he and Plumlee are now gone.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to VideoVandal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    Interesting question: Will Herb be more likely to be willing to pay the LT if we do win it all, or if we do not win it all?
    It's very interesting.

Just from prior history though, I tend to be of the belief that even if we win it all, he won't pay the tax.

You never know though.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

I am starting to like this LaVoy Allen. Watched some tape of him tonight, he could be a good big.

I am starting to like this LaVoy Allen. Watched some tape of him tonight, he could be a good big.
    Allen is a skilled big man.

I really like having him. Another big body to use down low and has some actual skill.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

All I know is I'm VERY curious to see how our bench looks with Turner and Bynum added to the mix.

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I actually think if Allen develops right, he could be a starter in this league, he has skill and is young, certainly needs to improve though. I understand i'm higher on him than most though

Wow. I still can't believe this happened. This has to be really tough inside the Pacers locker room. Those guys loved Danny, you could tell that.

Danny looked to me like he lost his passion for basketball. This still hurts though, knowing that we could win it without him.

From a straight up basketball perspective, this is one of the best moves Larry's ever made. It's amazingly one-sided.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post: