Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Granger traded to Philly

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger traded to Philly

I'm interested in seeing how Turner performs in a more positive, better-structured environment. I still hold out hope he can live up his expectations coming into the league.

Mood

I think Evan will make quicker decisions and be more willing to put up a shot than Danny.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quick ball reversal of the defense and good off ball movement is key when Turner and Lance are out there together. Neither is a + shooter but if you can force the defense to move and then end with one of the catch the ball on a court reversal they will probably to face off against a recovering defender and get a good head start to the rim. The year Miami lost to Dallas they struggled with this, but had figured it out by the next year consistently. Lance and Turner don't equal Bron and Wade then, but the principle is similar.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the trade at the absolute bare bones boils down to one thing. We traded a minus ball-handler for a positive one. If nothing else, we should have 1-2 less turnovers a game and that may be the difference down the stretch.
    Nice to see you popping up once in awhile

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Another no-brainer move. They have no use for him.

Look for him to sign with the spurs or maybe the suns. He isn't a fit for the heat.

I don't see the free agency market for him being huge. The other teams see the same tape we all do.
    I thought of the Spurs as well since they need someone to back up Leonard when he gets healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I thought of the Spurs as well since they need someone to back up Leonard when he gets healthy.
    I would love to see Danny sign with San Antonio.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I posted my thoughts on this in the appreciation thread and I really wish we could have stuck with Danny.
    However, this just hit me. Danny is a very likely candidate for a buyout in Philly and Miami now has a roster spot open.
    If that happened it would make me sick.

I'm looking forward to seeing Lavoy Allen play. Philly thought highly enough of him to extend him for 2 years/$6M after his rookie season. That's a pretty generous contract for a former second round pick after only one season.

Here's a quote from his college coach at Temple, Fran Dunphy.
    "He might be the smartest player I've ever coached in terms of positioning and understanding the game - just his knowledge," Dunphy said.
    http://articles.philly.com/2010-03-0...ssistant-coach
    Last edited by Strummer; 02-20-2014 at 09:48 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    My thoughts exactly. This is LB saying we have this 1 year window. It's all or nothing THIS year.
    One year???? PG, Roy, GHill, Lance are all YOUNG! I don't agree with you at all.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greyhound80 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I think I heard somewhere George and Turner are friends, is that true?
    Yup I remember Paul posting a pic from turner blasting him after his 0-pt performance against GSW last year

heres the pic: http://instagram.com/p/S144DxHMua/
    Last edited by ThA HoyA; 02-20-2014 at 09:25 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Scola just needs to sit in that 15 foot range and screen and pop that long jumper. Instead he's handling the ball a lot, trying to post up and take guys off the dribble.
    That's what got him in this funk in the first place. Just standing at the FT line trying to drain mid range J's off a pick and pop.

With his **** deserting him, part of me wonders whether or not Sitting him for a few games isn't a better option at this point.

Some thoughts that went through my mind that I didn't see reflected in the thread:

1) I watched the trade rumors earlier in the day, and these caught my attention:

You have to respect the savvy of the front office. Seriously, Larry Bird and his team are good at their job. They scooped in and got impressive value given how depressed Granger's value had become. I would not be surprised if this leak from Berger related directly to the pending trade to the Pacers. The source heard about the Pacer's plan.

2) My gut instinct is that this move was not made with the intention of playing both Lance and Turner off the bench. I think it's a clear move to play either Lance or Turner on the floor at all times. Most of Lance's production this year has come playing in the starting lineup when you go review 82games stats, so I think the rotations will clearly switch with Turner perhaps first off the bench to give Lance a blow. Watson and Turner look like a good pairing to me, from the 10-15 games I've seen Turner play.

3) This trade gives Indiana fans a sense of what San Antonio (and it's fans) must have felt like to trade George Hill. Sentimental favorite, but solid front offices and perennial winners make these kinds of trades every time for the better of the team. I will dearly miss Danny, and have always had mad respect for his professionalism and game. Slightly worried that Danny is a late bloomer in terms of the season, and that we gave up too quickly on him, but I think given his return after 1+ years of being sidelined with injury makes it unlikely that he's going to start lighting it up off the bench here in Indy. Really worry how this will affect Granger's value in the offseason, but don't see many ways in which his value was going to get enhanced stinking it up here in Indy. Very tough circumstance for a hometown favorite.

4) Our perimeter defense off the bench is a new vulnerability from a couple of dimensions: 1) Turner is not traditionally strong here, and he has little-to-no time to grasp our system mid season. 2) Copeland gets more run with the bench, and he's not necessarily a plus defender ether. Certain teams will punish us on this front this year.

5) There's almost zero chance that Turner gets the QO from the team. He'd have to show himself to be a fundamentally different player than what he has shown, and that is highly unlikely. Lance >> Turner on this team, and they will want to send a strong message to Lance that he's their guy unless he's starting to turn into a numbskull behind the scenes. I continue to worry that he's starting to think he's better than he actually is, and that's trouble.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Mood

"George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing LaVoy Allen play. Philly thought highly enough of him to extend him for 2 years/$6M after his rookie season. That's a pretty generous contract for a former second round pick after only one season.

Here's a quote from his college coach at Temple, Fran Dunphy.

http://articles.philly.com/2010-03-0...ssistant-coach
    Gives us another active big that can knock down a mid range j. I'm curious to see what he does if he can get some minutes. Can't be much worse than what we've seen from our backup PF recently

Mood

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post

I was assuming this...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Quote Originally Posted by tadscout View Post

I was fortunate to get courtside seats as an XMas present this year, and sat next to Granger's brother at the game, who's a realtor who was proud to tell me how he pays for his own courtside seats . I asked him straight up whether Danny thought he'd last the season, and he said "honestly, no he doesn't".

To be blunt, he played like that this year from my eyes. Felt like he was going through the paces.

Very sad circumstance.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Mood

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

I think alot of you are drooling over the 17pts per game that Turner potentially brings, but you are not looking at the details. Usuage rate, offensive pace, turnovers, shooting percentage, MPG. NOT TO MENTION RECORD. Translate that to the PAcers, and this guy might only average 9pts a game. Danny Granger average 9 pts per game too. Turner can't shoot the 3 with any sort of reliability. Neither can Danny right now, but Danny had shown that he can do that.

I'm just saying i'm gonng be very skeptical about Evan Turner, especially his efficiency in our plodding offense. Philly let this guy go for a 2nd round pick and an expiring contract.

Sad day in my Pacer fandom. Hope i'm wrong, but this one might end up costing us.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Championship move, gotta love it. I'm sure Turner will take full advantage of the opportunity to play for a winning team. The talent on this roster at this point is absurd, all in...championship or bust at this point.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Well, at least Evan Turner has shown the ability to hit big shots in the Fieldhouse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVLWsHjVu9Y

33. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Tough to see Danny Granger go after everything he did for the franchise, but as sports has taught us...if Peyton Manning can go, anyone can go. At the end of the day, for a franchise that is looking to win its first NBA Championship, winning takes precedent over sentiment.

Whether it was rust or just a bad knee, Granger just did not have it this year. He was still better than our other bench options, but if Turner can give us any bit of offensive punch, we'll be in good shape. The fact that he's a good ball handler and passer for a 2-guard may help tremendously against the Heat.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    That's what I did with my Manning jersey(the only one I bothered to buy because I figured he'd be here for his entire career yeah I was wrong about that one) in the closet never to be touched again until like you said when its obscure.

I should've stuck with my never buy jerseys of players rule. That's why I just stick with sports gear that has the logo of the team the players are really interchangeable.
    Unless it is an Artest one, which i saw really cheap down here the season after the brawl, why not wear it? If you loved Granger then be proud to wear his number. It still says Pacers on the front. i have an O'neil replica which i still wear when I can fit in it.

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I think alot of you are drooling over the 17pts per game that Turner potentially brings, but you are not looking at the details. Usuage rate, offensive pace, turnovers, shooting percentage, MPG. NOT TO MENTION RECORD. Translate that to the PAcers, and this guy might only average 9pts a game. Danny Granger average 9 pts per game too. Turner can't shoot the 3 with any sort of reliability. Neither can Danny right now, but Danny had shown that he can do that.

I'm just saying i'm gonng be very skeptical about Evan Turner, especially his efficiency in our plodding offense. Philly let this guy go for a 2nd round pick and an expiring contract.

Sad day in my Pacer fandom. Hope i'm wrong, but this one might end up costing us.
    I'm thinking the same thing. If Vogel used Danny right and gave him a little more PT I think he would have easily averaged double figures. Turner won't get 16 shots per game with us. I hope he gets more minutes because I'd really like to see Lance cut by a few minutes but if Turner only gets 22 minutes I doubt if he'll average any more then Danny while not being nearly the defender Danny was.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Larry bird has always said that he feels competition within a team brings out the best in a team. I almost feel that Turner and Lance have the rest of the season to prove who should undoubtedly be here next year.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post: