Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Granger traded to Philly

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger traded to Philly

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    philly clearly doesnt want to add any salary after this year. no one was offering 1st rounders.
    That's what I was thinking. They want Wiggins and to be able to afford top-notch FAs once they get him.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    People, get over your love fest with Granger. Let's face reality: he's 30 years old, his skills are diminishing, and he's being overpaid. This trade was a stroke of genius.
    I don't think anyone's arguing against the value we received in the trade.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    People, get over your love fest with Granger. Let's face reality: he's 30 years old, his skills are diminishing, and he's being overpaid. This trade was a stroke of genius.
    You can admire the move without shoving a dagger into people who liked Danny. I really don't get the need for people to slap fans for being fans.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

6. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Yep, and I think it was after one of the West coast games back in Jan, Roy tweeted at like 2AM our time something like "I'm the Captain now!"

So you wonder how long the team has known they were definitely moving Granger. Wonder if that could explain some of the sluggishness from the team. They knew this was coming and were just waiting on it to happen.
    He was drunk on some captain Morgan.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    That's what I was thinking. They want Wiggins and to be able to afford top-notch FAs once they get him.
    You have to wonder what the Pacers could have gotten if they did offer that future 1st round pick to Teams that were shopping their Players.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    philly clearly doesnt want to add any salary after this year. no one was offering 1st rounders.
    everyone Philly traded was an expiring including Turner. Wasn't about future salary, just the picks.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    You can admire the move without shoving a dagger into people who liked Danny. I really don't get the need for people to slap fans for being fans.
    I've felt this way in the past. I can't put a price on how much I love all of our players prior to Metta running into the stands. Jermaine O'neal is one of my all-time favorite players.

In this case... I think it's easy to let Danny go because I know he was gone at the end of the year anyways. Did I think we could win a championship with him? Yeah. Was it a given? No. We didn't take back salary to prevent us from re-signing Stephenson and not only has Turner been better than Granger this season, we got an athletic big in return who is every bit as good as Mahinimi. It sucks losing Granger but we added pieces to the puzzle that gives us a much better than to win it all.

I love Granger but I'm a Pacers fan first.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:

"We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Yep, and I think it was after one of the West coast games back in Jan, Roy tweeted at like 2AM our time something like "I'm the Captain now!"

So you wonder how long the team has known they were definitely moving Granger. Wonder if that could explain some of the sluggishness from the team. They knew this was coming and were just waiting on it to happen.
    Or Roy had just watched Captain Phillips?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

I know Turner adds a lot of value. And if we weren't the favorites to win it all, we certainly are now.

But all the same, my heart says not cool Larry. Danny deserved better.
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-20-2014 at 05:40 PM.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I'm going out on a limb and say he never scores a point in a sixer uniform.
    Really? I thought they couldn't cut him because of min salary cap restrictions..
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Really? I thought they couldn't cut him because of min salary cap restrictions..
    Buying him out doesn't remove the cap hit.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I know Turner adds a lot of value. And if we weren't the favorites to win it all, we certainly are no.

Same. I get it. It makes us better, and that's all that matters. But if we really do win it all I'm going to feel bad Danny won't be there for Larry to hand the O'Brien to.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I guess I should have clarified, my post was toward the people who are saying this is a bad trade, or can't believe we did this, because they like Danny Granger. The NBA's a business, if Larry Legend sees a way to upgrade our roster, then he's going to do it in a heartbeat, no questions asked. That's just his personality. Come on people, you saw this coming when Larry made those comments about Granger earlier in the year.

I know Turner adds a lot of value. But all the same, my heart says not cool Larry. Danny deserved better.
    I think we all have to accept the fact that Danny was not worth Lance insurance and a possible solid player to replace him for the next couple years. Plus we have no clue what has happened behind the scenes with Danny. He certainly could have been part of the reason he was traded and not kept for the ride in the sunset.

I certainly understand that this is an emotional time for many fans. But I think we treated Granger pretty fairly here. We gave him the opportunity to prove something this season. He's been auditioning for two months now, and at the end of the day he just didn't have enough. If we would have traded Granger before the season started without giving him the opportunity to prove what he could do after injury, then I could certainly have understood if people thought that was harsh. But we gave him a very fair opportunity to prove that he could be a big boost off the bench. The season started four months ago.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

I don't think I could ever make this decision in good conscious. Danny could be a lump on the bench and it would be hard for me to get rid of him given how great he's been to this franchise.

The move is great on paper. There is no denying that.

The locker room causes me some concern. You introduce 3 new players, 2 of which have questionable personalities, to one of the tightest locker rooms out there. And you send 2 players packing, one of which is somewhat of a father figure to your young group of players.

I hope they are all able to get through it and move on. If I feel this sick to my stomach about the situation, lord knows those guys are hurting.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jessen For This Useful Post:

I know Turner adds a lot of value. And if we weren't the favorites to win it all, we certainly are now.

Larry Bird loves the organization he works for more than one particular player. Seems pretty normal to me.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adamscb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jessen View Post
    I hope they are all able to get through it and move on. If I feel this sick to my stomach about the situation, lord knows those guys are hurting.
    Don't project fan emotions onto players. They probably are feeling a bit of stress at this coming at the last minute, but I doubt any of them are reacting more strongly than the fans are.
    BillS

32. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I know Turner adds a lot of value. But all the same, my heart says not cool Larry. Danny deserved better.
    He has been paid 66 million dollars. Danny got paid 27 million dollars for last and this season which he barely contributed. Pacers are trying to win a championship. While tough love is lost at a personal level, this is a business and it very seldom turns out like Reggie's career. I don't think Danny deserves anymore then what he has gotten.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

What did granger "deserve?" The pacers paid him a truckload of money that he's still going to receive. He got paid $27 million the last two seasons to basically rehab.

Granger deserves to earn what he negotiated, and the pacers deserve the opportunity to try and upgrade him. He's getting paid millions to go deal with it.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-20-2014 at 05:56 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    He has been paid 66 million dollars. Danny got paid 27 million dollars for last and this season which he barely contributed. Pacers are trying to win a championship. While tough love is lost at a personal level, this is a business and it very seldom turns out like Reggie's career. I don't think Danny deserves anymore then what he has gotten.
    What did granger "deserve?" The pacers paid him a truckload of money that he's still going to receive.
    This hits my point exactly. Is this a Danny Granger forum, or an Indiana Pacers forum? This trade upgrades our team immensely, so we should be celebrating. Plus, it might actually give Granger a chance to start.

What did granger "deserve?" The pacers paid him a truckload of money that he's still going to receive. He got paid $27 million the last two seasons to basically rehab.
    I think the point being made here, and it's one I wholeheartedly agree with, is that it's not just all about money.

Pro athletes make more money than the overwhelming majority of folks. Is it 'deserved'? That's a debatable topic for another time.

But putting aside the money for a moment, putting aside the 'business' for a moment, these are still guys who play a game on a team and want to win.

Danny has been with our organization for 8+ years through some good times and many more bad times, and he's done it with class and top notch professionalism.

I can only speak for myself here, but for a player to live in and be a contributor to a local sports community, be a part of a team for so long and to see it grow into a contender only to be unceremoniously dumped at the trade deadline to a team that's desperate to tank...

I really don't think it's fair to immediately discount the "he deserves better" argument just because of money alone.

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jessen View Post
    I don't think I could ever make this decision in good conscious. Danny could be a lump on the bench and it would be hard for me to get rid of him given how great he's been to this franchise.

The move is great on paper. There is no denying that.

The locker room causes me some concern. You introduce 3 new players, 2 of which have questionable personalities, to one of the tightest locker rooms out there. And you send 2 players packing, one of which is somewhat of a father figure to your young group of players.

Father figure? Come on. 23 year olds don't look to 30 year olds as father figures. Mentor and friend, I'll give you that, but not father figure.

I don't see any way the Pacers lose in this deal. I feel awful for Danny, but it was a no brainer given the opportunity.

Thank you Danny for everything. You'll be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    I think the point being made here, and it's one I wholeheartedly agree with, is that it's not just all about money.

Pro athletes make more money than the overwhelming majority of folks. Is it 'deserved'? That's a debatable topic for another time.

But putting aside the money for a moment, putting aside the 'business' for a moment, these are still guys who play a game on a team and want to win.

Danny has been with our organization for 8+ years through some good times and many more bad times, and he's done it with class and top notch professionalism.

I can only speak for myself here, but for a player to live in and be a contributor to a local sports community, be a part of a team for so long and to see it grow into a contender only to be unceremoniously dumped at the trade deadline to a team that's desperate to tank...

I really don't think it's fair to immediately discount the "he deserves better" argument just because of money alone.
    I'm sure if granger would have taken $5 million a year the pacers would have gladly thrown in a no-trade clause.

Anyone think that ever crossed his mind? When you sign the contract that's what you sign up for.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post: