Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Granger traded to Philly

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Granger traded to Philly

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chips are all in Ladies and Gents... chips are all in.
    My thoughts exactly. This is LB saying we have this 1 year window. It's all or nothing THIS year.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    If Philly buys out Danny, would it be possible to bring him back at some point this season? I know the NBA recently added restrictions to prevent stuff like this.
    No, you can't do that anymore.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    Hate it. Absolutely hate it.

I know I am in the minority here, but I'm a sentimental kinda guy. Trading someone who has been the face of your franchise and a model player through some BAD times, who finally starts working their way back from injury when the team is finally a championship caliber team... Man, that's just flat out cold.

I get that (maybe) this is a positive move from a pure basketball perspective. But I am the kinda guy that wants to do things with a certain class and sense of loyalty.

This hurts. It really hurts.

Danny deserved the chance to try to go out a Pacer a champion.
    You are not in the minority here. I agree, but don't necessarily hate it. For those of us that struggled through the bad years with Danny, we feel for him. Good luck Danny! I will still wear your jersey proud!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BoomBaby33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    If Philly buys out Danny, would it be possible to bring him back at some point this season? I know the NBA recently added restrictions to prevent stuff like this.
    No. 6-month waiting period.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Maybe Bird doesn't think we can keep lance. or maybe he has decided he doesn't want too.

There is always a lot more going on than what we know.

Isn't Turner sort of a Lance type player without Lance's explosivness. Meaning Turner can creat and is a decent passer, but a much better shooter - although he isnt much of a three point shooter
    Turner just gave us insurance that we didn't have. Now we have a realistic replacement for Lance if he signs else where. Like I was saying this is crazy improved our championship odds, and improved our future with more flexibility. Turner is a great PnR ball handler just like Lance, they both are decent off the ball. Lance plays a lot harder. I wouldn't call Turner a much better shooter both need to improve shooting wise.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Lol we all owe Gimp an apology.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

I don't get people calling Bird "slimy" at all. What do you think Bird's job is? It's to guide the Pacers to a championship. This was the kind of move you make in order to accomplish that.

This isn't the feel-good friendship club. This isn't your adult rec league team with your college buddies. This isn't a charity club. It's professional basketball. Sometimes, tough decisions come with the territory. All the best to Danny, but my goodness, anyone criticizing Bird here is missing the point of the move, and his job, entirely.

13. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Turner was in PG/Lances draft class?

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Turner just gave us insurance that we didn't have. Now we have a realistic replacement for Lance if he signs else where. Like I was saying this is crazy improved our championship odds, and improved our future with more flexibility. Turner is a great PnR ball handler just like Lance, they both are decent off the ball. Lance plays a lot harder. I wouldn't call Turner a much better shooter both need to improve shooting wise.
    Lance plays harder, but Turner plays smarter.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Chips are all in Ladies and Gents... chips are all in.
    I hate this attitude. why our coach and FO keep acting like this is our only shot, I have no idea.

If we win it all this year, Danny deserves an honorary ring.

19. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I don't know how that works...I thought buying players out still counted against the cap, maybe I'm wrong though.
    The 2013-2014 Salary Cap floor is $52.8 mil.

Dumping Turner and Allen and adding Granger gets them to $51.95 mil....so buying Granger out anything short of his current Salary would push them under the Floor.

Another Player from the Pacers have to be sent to the Sixers to make this work since we are at 16 Players....the question is who is sent.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Nah, no such issues at all, major or minor. You're thinking about lux tax, which only matters at the end of the year. Cap wise we simply operate as an over-the-cap team.
    There is one issue that could complicate things. The Pacers have to make offers to restricted free agents by the end of June. I'm not sure they can even negotiate with Lance until July 1st. The risk is that Turner could immediately sign his qualifying offer before the Pacers can negotiate a contract with Lance and pull the deal. If Tuner decides to test the market the Pacers are fine, but that's a big risk. They may end up renouncing Tuner for that reason.

Couple of other thoughts:

What is in this for Philly? I keep waiting to hear at least a 2nd round pick going back to them or one of OJ/Solo. Do they think Granger's Bird rights are more valuable than Turners RFA rights? Is it purely a rather transparent way to tank? Is this simply bringing a veteran in the clubhouse? This deal is a real headscratcher from their point of view.

As others as mentioned, it will be interesting to see who the Pacers will cut. As some have said, they did save quite a bit of money with this move though which I'm sure is always a sigh of relief for ownership.

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

I'm... I'm feeling a little light-headed.

I'm not saying it was an uneven trade, I just don't remember a time that Danny hasn't been a Pacer. I'm one of the younger PDers, so I only started watching around the 06-07 season, which was when Danny was starting to form the player who he would eventually become. The Pacers obviously are throwing everything in this year to win.
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Being real about it, the hell is Philly doing? Not like they shed any salary. They gained literally nothing, apparently a 2nd rounder I guess.

Go launch bombs Danny. Enjoy LA next year.

Hopefully this makes the point strongly that we are in it to win it, and it shakes the guys out of their complacency a bit.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I don't get people calling Bird "slimy" at all. What do you think Bird's job is? It's to guide the Pacers to a championship. This was the kind of move you make in order to accomplish that.

This isn't the feel-good friendship club. This isn't your adult rec league team with your college buddies. This isn't a charity club. It's professional basketball. Sometimes, tough decisions come with the territory. All the best to Danny, but my goodness, anyone criticizing Bird here is missing the point of the move, and his job, entirely.

you answered your own question

what are they saying on NBATV. They have a live special on right now? Anyone watching.

Mood

It also lets LB off the hook with the Lance vs. Danny decision. I understand that Danny is now gone and certain people will hate it no matter what. But, those people are now already galvanized and there won't be any hate towards Lance because Danny isn't here.

Btw, whodathunk four years ago that both Peyton Manning and Danny Granger would be traded?

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    If scola keeps playing poorly he will be. Lavoy can play, and he's not a defensive liability like scola.

Turner is an excellent defender. He also has quickness to get past Wade and even Lebron. He has a good mid-range game, and can score.

Allen can shoot! Another big man who can shoot! He's also young and can move better than Scola. I think this move was also made because of Scola. He's not shooting well right now. Our bench will be.....

Allen
    Copeland
    Bynum
    Turner
    Watson

Ian
    Scola
    Orlando
    Sloan
    Butler
    Solo

^Somebody will be cut. Probably Sloan or Butler. I also could see Indy cutting Scola and maybe re-signing Lavoy next season. Upgrade defensively, youth wise, etc. Lastly, Turner is a restricted free agent this off season. Indy can re-sign him, as well as Lance. Especially if Ian goes.

I can say one thing with realtive certainty: There is not a happier human being on Earth right now than vnzla. Turner was his dude since before that draft and we all know his stance on Danny.

33. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

There's no doubt that this makes us a better basketball team. It's a great trade. Bird is just obsessed by the drive to win a championship this season.

We gave Granger a pretty fair chance to prove that he could help us this season. It was a two month long audition. He just wasn't cutting it and we had the opportunity to get a significantly better player.

This will be like when the Red Sox dumped the popular Nomar Garciapara in the middle of 2004 and then went on to win the World Series a few months later. It sucked that he couldn't be a part of it after being loyal to the franchise for a while, but how many Sox fans really cared once they hoisted up that first banner in 86 years?

Thanks Granger for playing hard for the Pacers for a while. Most importantly, thanks for being a much needed classy personality after all of the a-holes we had in the early to mid 2000's.

35. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Allen waived

Turneer told he's off bench

Wow.

Emotions aside, this is a brilliant move by Bird and the FO. Absolutely brilliant. Turner is a good player, much better than what Danny is now. This is a move that will help us on our way to a title. It is also a back up move in case some team offers Lance a ridiculous amount of money. And it makes me think Larry will absolutely play hard ball with Lance.

But damn man. Granger was the guy that gave us something when we had nothing. So sad to see him go. Been rocking this signature since '06 I believe. Just a difficult thing to swallow, even knowing the team is better because of it. We better win the title this year. If not, I'm gonna be pretty sick.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post: