Thread: Charles Oakley interested in joining a contender

Default Charles Oakley interested in joining a contender

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...20/354099.html

The Raps could pick up new players via a 10-day contract, free agency or from waivers.

One possibility is semi-retired power forward Charles Oakley, whom Grunwald has talked to about joining the Raps. The 40-year-old Oakley, however, has expressed a desire to join a team that has a shot of winning in the playoffs, and the Raps don't appear to be such a team.

I wonder if Pacers are still interested in him. If he's in shape can't see why not.

any thoughts?

Default Re: Charles Oakley interested in joining a contender

Eh.. I wouldn't waive anyone on our roster for Charles Oakley.

I'd be surprised if he has much left in the tank. Couldn't hurt to have his experience, but that's about all he'll contribute.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

If I was Zeke, I'd try to pick up Oakley over Vin Baker.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Oakley would be a high risk/high reward kind of thing.

1. If you sign him you have to cut somebody. Who do you cut? Do you cut James Jones free? Probably not. Do you cut Jamison Brewer free? Probably not, because you are hoping that the Bobcats will pick him up in the draft. Do you cut Primoz? I don't have an answer for this. Primoz will NOT be a contributer this season so if you are looking for something to put you over the top this year you might consider this, but I know we won't. Do you cut Kenny Anderson? This might actually be the best way to go. We have three other point guards & everybody keeps telling me that Fred Jones can play point (I don't think he can but what the hell) & K.A. isn't coming off of that bench unless an injury or something drastic happens. So I guess I would be willing to do this because I would rather have a toughman on the team (we don't have one now) than one of four point guards.

2. Charles Oakley can either be a locker room help or hinderance. I've heard him described as both a veteran leader & a cancer. So it's a crap shoot as to which one you would get.

3. It might be worth the risk. He provides a quality that we do not have on our team right now. A tough no nonsense take no prisoner player who will battle like a hill giant down in the paint. Plus he can hit an outside shot.

We won last night & it was great the way we won, but after watching Brown, Haywood & Thomas push our big men around all night like so much towel lint I longed for anybody who would stand toe to toe with players like this.

At worst if he doesn't work out you can always waive his *** & all you would lose is a player you would have lost anyway at the end of the season.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not just a roster spot, but whose minutes would he take?

One thing I did like about him, he can set a pick...we don't have any brick walls on this team and he could help out that way ala Tank Thompson.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

debohstheman

ive always been a pretty big fan of oakley's....
    just a tough son of a *****....
    i agree and think he could help us out some in the middle....
    i think his experience and toughness would be put to good use....

Default Re: C'mon

Quote Originally Posted by "PacerMan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless you've got an injury to a player with similar skills, it's a no brainer.
    You don't even seriously consider it.
    Suppose some of you would pick up Rodman too!
    I agree. If you're a contender, a 40 year old player who hasn't played in the NBA all year isn't going to improve your team (unless maybe Michael Jordan came back).
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

I also doubt Oakley could help us. If he were younger, of course. But, he ain't.