Thread: Is our bench cursed?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Is our bench cursed?

For the past two seasons, Larry has brought in quality guys to come off the bench. No matter whom Larry brings in, the results are the same, which is poor production.

Last season, we brought in Gerald Green, DJ Augustin, and Ian Mahinmi. Both DJ and Green are playing well for their new teams, while Ian is about to be demoted to third string.

This year Larry brought in Luis Scola and CJ Watson, whom both started the year strong. Recently Scola resembles a struggling Tyler Hansbrough and CJ resembles a lousy DJ.
    Danny Granger, who was supposed to be the true difference maker, has been inconsistent even though he is healthy.

No matter who comes off the bench this year, I get the same bad feeling I got last season, that the Pacers will start playing poorly once the starters leave.

Are we cursed? Is this a flaw in our system? Bad personnel acquisitions? Am I overreacting?
    David "And One" West

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Is our bench cursed?

Is this a serious question?

No, the bench is not cursed.

Beyond that didn't we just have thread where we discussed in detail our bench.

I think we need to rest Scola for a while and play Cope

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is this a serious question?

No, the bench is not cursed.

Beyond that didn't we just have thread where we discussed in detail our bench.
    I am being somewhat serious. No matter who we get to play off the bench, they play badly for Indiana. There has to be something going on to explain this.
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I think we need to rest Scola for a while and play Cope
    If Cope was promoted, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he started missing all his 3's
    David "And One" West

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wait - I thought last year the bench stunk because it was Donnie who brought them in.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    I am being somewhat serious. No matter who we get to play off the bench, they play badly for Indiana. There has to be something going on to explain this.
    OK, well then I'll be serious. I do not believe in curses. So no the bench is not cursed

Maybe we should add Lankester Merrin as an assistant coach.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that the problem is coaching to a certain degree. The bench doesn't need replacing. There are really good players on the team but no matter how much talent they have, they are not being utilized properly at times. What I mean is that the wrong players are sometimes being played in the wrong situations. I wish that Vogel wouldn't be so insistent on trotting out the exact same lineup and minutes each game. The starters should definitely get more minutes but bench playing time should be more situational. He should mix it up a little when there are mismatch possibilities or when the situation calls for more scoring.

For example, when the Pacers need points or 3 point shooters to space the floor, he should use Butler and Copeland more than Danny or Scola because they are better shooters. If he insists on playing Scola and Danny he needs to put them in Pick-and-Pop or catch and shoot situations. Scola turns it over most of the time when he dribbles and he cannot score when he puts the ball on the floor anyway. I'd like to see a small lineup used where Lance, Butler, and Danny or Lance, Danny, and Copeland are in the lineup with CJ and Ian.

It would also be great to see what Bynum can do. Ian tries hard and his defense is good but he leaves a lot to be desired on the offensive end. I'm not giving up on this bench though. They looked great many times this season. I think that Frank and the rest of the staff will figure out the problems and find the best matchups.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    For the past two seasons, Larry has brought in quality guys to come off the bench. No matter whom Larry brings in, the results are the same, which is poor production.

Last season, we brought in Gerald Green, DJ Augustin, and Ian Mahinmi. Both DJ and Green are playing well for their new teams, while Ian is about to be demoted to third string.

This year Larry brought in Luis Scola and CJ Watson, whom both started the year strong. Recently Scola resembles a struggling Tyler Hansbrough and CJ resembles a lousy DJ.
    Danny Granger, who was supposed to be the true difference maker, has been inconsistent even though he is healthy.

No matter who comes off the bench this year, I get the same bad feeling I got last season, that the Pacers will start playing poorly once the starters leave.

Are we cursed? Is this a flaw in our system? Bad personnel acquisitions? Am I overreacting?

Our bench lacks a facilitator. Someone who can make things happen for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    And what is Lance best at? He's too busy getting his to be a playmaker off the bench.

Who is he supposed to be a playmaker for right now? Scola or Granger so that they can throw up a shot that has a roughly 30 something percent chance of going in?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Our bench lacks a facilitator. Someone who can make things happen for everyone else.
    And what is Lance best at? He's too busy getting his to be a playmaker or facilitator off the bench.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Sports Logo

Teams need time to play together, we have completely overhauled our bench three years in a row and maybe just maybe that's not the best idea, it clearly backfired last year. I think we would have been better off with our previous bench. That being said this years is better than last years.

Our bench just isn't playing well right. Danny looks really bad, Ian is having his worst year despite playing better recently, and Scola is really dragging along. CJ is still a huge, huge upgrade over DJ and I think he's a lot better than his numbers show.

Truth is, our bench isn't that much better than last season's. The field goal % was higher, but I don't know about that now. Also, our bench barely scores more points than it did last season. It's a little known fact that's been true most of the season.

But come playoff time, I expect a lot of it to change. If Bynum can play and produce, and Scola can shake off his bad play (like he did last season...he was terrible for a while but turned it on later), then our bench will be adequate for the playoffs.

And yes, Donnie brought us a terrible bench last season, and Bird's had to work wonders to make it better. We're paying for Donnie's blunder with that 1st rounder we gave up.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

There are two problems with the bench, it can be too much Lance sometimes, and Granger and Scola are not hitting their shots that they were hitting earlier in the season. Yes, I know it is hard for some to remember, but there was a time when Granger was scoring and hitting his shots.