Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacers / TWolves Post Game Thread - 2/19

Default Re: Pacers / TWolves Post Game Thread - 2/19

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dunno, we kept Ian in over Roy, but I thought they went back to Turiaf eventually (just checked, duh yeah they did, he had the spot up jumper as the shot clock was runnning down when had cut it to 5, and then he got hurt) and then Cunningham came in after.

The Pacers defense should have been to foul Touriaf every time.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    DISCLAIMER: In no way am I saying officiating is the reason the Pacers lost.

But, why is that acceptable? Rule books don't make differentials between players attitudes, and whether or not fouls should be called. This hurts the product, and it leads to the frustrations that boil over.
    Because there are a lot of calls in basketball that could legitimately go either way. Which direction they are called depends a lot on the subjective decision of the referee, and if he feels you don't deserve the call in such cases you won't get it.

We're not talking blatant ignoring of the rules, just human nature when called upon to make a fast decision that is a coin-flip.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Agreed, UB. I don't get that same vibe at all. This feels like the opposite this team needs Frank to sit on them, to give them a kick to the rear. I would like to see Cope play more, the starters in particular I think need a stern message. The season ain't over. Right now Lance is acting like he's a superstar and he's not. If he's not careful he's going to turn into Tyreke Evans. How many 3s did he take in the first quarter? 3? Plus another pull up mid range jumper? This is not his game.
    Do we have someone on the bench with the gravitas to play bad cop and be listened to? I have a feeling that's part of what Shaw was able to do; does Nate get the same level of respect?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Because there are a lot of calls in basketball that could legitimately go either way. Which direction they are called depends a lot on the subjective decision of the referee, and if he feels you don't deserve the call in such cases you won't get it.

We're not talking blatant ignoring of the rules, just human nature when called upon to make a fast decision that is a coin-flip.
    Yeah, I don't buy it.

Turiaf/Hibbert is the perfect example. Roy goes straight up, and officials watch closely if his arms come down if there's body contact, and call a foul if they do. Turaif was jumping straight up and then flailing his arms downward at the ball, and didn't get one single foul called on him for doing it. Not one.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

And he's here the real doozy of a conundrum, who has given the best effort since the all star break and played the most above his ability? Ian, of course. So it's not even like putting Bynum in is this simple idea.

Ian always gives a great effort and yes he has played solid the last couple of games, but we gotta give Bynum a shot as soon as he's ready to go. Bynum if healthy will give the second unit some much needed offense.

Part of the reason that Lance has played sloppy lately is definitely because he has become a bit of a legend in his own mind, no doubt about that. But I'll cut Lance some slack when he does that stuff with the bench. Let's face it, his bench teammates aren't good right now. Ian will always be limited offensively. Scola and Granger are awful right now. CJ has been a solid offensive player this season, but I get tired of watching him launch long jumpers in transition when there are 20 seconds left on the shot clock.

But as you said in a different post, PG and Lance need to defer to Hill more. Hill is a damn good player.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I thought our offense in the first quarter was awful, which directly led to our atrocious transition defense. (if you watched ESPN, Hubie Brown broke this down rather well) Our offense the rest of the game wasn't much better.

Our shot selection was painful to watch, our ball movement was terrible, our passing was nonexistant, and we had several players trying to do things on their own (PG and Lance) We didn't trust our offense or our teammates. Were we selfish? - I won't say that, it was more hero ball as in things are going bad so let me bail us out. Instead of trusting the game plan, trusting the system trusting your teammates, trusting the coaching staff, we played hero ball.

The T-Wolves play a different style of defense. They double team the post, trap ballhandlers, go for steals on every play. And the pacers offense played right into their style. Against that defense you need much more passing and player movement, and ball reversal and if you do that well, you can get some easy shots. There is a reason the T-Wolves are last in defensive FG% and yet 4th in creating turnovers. (My guess is the Spurs slice and dice the T-Wolves defense)

And our transition defense was disgusting at least partially because of our horrible offense. Every bad shot was like a long outlet pass for the T-Wolves.

I am expecting the film session today to be extremely painful for the Pacers. if they went play by play and pointed out all the mistakes it might take them 4 or 5 hours.

A disgusting loss. They did not resemble a good team at all. They did not resemble a together team at all.
    I think this is as upset as I've seen you on this board!

Sports Logo

Things that bother me right now.

When we turn in a great game the next game we seem to lose focus. The better the game the worse we seem to do in the next one. This especially scares me for the playoffs, last year we spotted the Heat a game in game 1, this year I am worried we will blow them out then come back the next game and give it to them by not playing well at all.

We suck on Back to Backs (at least there are none of these in the playoffs)

Our D has really fallen off here lately, we went from 82 PPG to 92 in a month and it seems to be getting worse.

It's also important to keep in mind that Minn NEEDED this game for their playoff hopes to stay alive at all. The Pacers clearly came in not fearing the Wolves and got bit. We will see more of these just bellow or just in the playoffs teams who NEED to win to stay in the race, the Pacers need to understand that they NEED to win to get home court advantage, stop only paying attention to Miami, pay attention to OKC too you want home court in the Finals too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I have not read this thread outside of page one.

I think the next 3 games will be a test for this team. Can they dominate teams on the inside on offense? And can they defend the pick and roll better? I don't think we will know this answer in the next three games. But they have to start addressing these changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    What in the world would the return of a bench player have to do with it? That makes zero sense
    It throws off the chemistry. The players are trying to get him involved instead of him getting himself involved. Just face it Danny has seen his better days. He is nowhere close to the player he was. He is still a nice guy but that is not going to help us get to where we want to go. For all you Granger lovers the experiment is over. He has had plenty of games and should be improving. He is headed backwards and it is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Yeah, I don't buy it.

Turiaf/Hibbert is the perfect example. Roy goes straight up, and officials watch closely if his arms come down if there's body contact, and call a foul if they do. Turaif was jumping straight up and then flailing his arms downward at the ball, and didn't get one single foul called on him for doing it. Not one.
    Stop whining you're starting to sound like the Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    So much for getting back to Inside Out play.
    Yeah, that was me preaching about that. SMH! I guess I missed that pretty badly, didn't I.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor-h View Post
    Stop whining you're starting to sound like the Pacers
    It's my party, I'll whine if I want too.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Our next 5 games

@MIL, vs LAL, vs MIL, @BOS, vs UTAH

We BEST go 5-0.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Honestly our schedule is pretty damn cushy up until the next Heat game. If we lose more than 3 games during that stretch we should really be disappointed in ourselves.

And honestly, if you look at the Heat schedule during the same time, they probably aren't going to cough up more than 2 or 3 games. So we sort of have to do this. I always assumed this home court would come down to less than 3 games, which really puts an emphasis on our head to head matchups. I believe this team can do it, but they need to focus up. It's do or die time for the 1 seed.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 02-20-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Trader Joe, 5 post entry passes in the entire 1st quarter, one of them to your 7.2 center, that is very very bad.
    It is not like he doesn't have position, he does, but gets ignored and when he gets a pass it is either to high or to low, or just in general poor.

(others) Granger gets no shots, if he doesn't get the ball, the ones he has to take are out of rythm and out of position at the end of a shotclock, the few times he gets the ball in rythm he hits at a very high clip, however i do admit he stops trying after 5 sprints around and being ignored time and again by Lance who rather goes for his own glory.

Lance needs to be sat down a while and shown that he is not nearly as good as he thinks he is and that without the team around him, he'd have a very low market value.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Mood

Well, I'll say that was a collective serving of pu-pu-platter by the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post

(others) Granger gets no shots, if he doesn't get the ball, the ones he has to take are out of rythm and out of position at the end of a shotclock, the few times he gets the ball in rythm he hits at a very high clip, however i do admit he stops trying after 5 sprints around and being ignored time and again by Lance who rather goes for his own glory.

Man this is totally true, you can see it in his body language after Lance repeated calls his own number. Granger just gets fed up with him. I'd love to see Danny just say F' it, and go get the ball and start asserting himself in this offense. He does a great job and driving and dishing to get his teammates an easy shot. I'd like to see him and Scola get a 2 man game going.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

If this is the Lance we are going to be resigning in the offseason we should just let him walk btw

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

Mood

I don't get how some of you guys (and gals) just think that getting Granger involved and Hibbert more touches will fix things.

Granger: He's too slow to get separation from his man, for the most part. And when he does get the ball, what are some of you guys expecting from him? To take it to the rim? Have you guys seen how many clanks he's thrown up going inside? Granger just needs to accept that, at best, his role is reduced to a Mike Miller-Ray Allen type role.

Roy: As of late, Hibbert gets bullied way too much by undersized centers. Also, if on one possession you miss the shot, a couple possessions later you can't get open, a couple possessions later I pass you the ball but it gets stolen.....I'm sorry, but that's Roy taking himself out of the game. I'm not going to make such a big effort to pass to you if you look indecisive or turn the ball over.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    I don't get how some of you guys (and gals) just think that getting Granger involved and Hibbert more touches will fix things.

Granger: He's too slow to get separation from his man, for the most part. And when he does get the ball, what are some of you guys expecting from him? To take it to the rim? Have you guys seen how many clanks he's thrown up going inside? Granger just needs to accept that, at best, his role is reduced to a Mike Miller-Ray Allen type role.

Roy: As of late, Hibbert gets bullied way too much by undersized centers. Also, if on one possession you miss the shot, a couple possessions later you can't get open, a couple possessions later I pass you the ball but it gets stolen.....I'm sorry, but that's Roy taking himself out of the game. I'm not going to make such a big effort to pass to you if you look indecisive or turn the ball over.
    Granger is shooting +90% from the line, so yes take to the rim, throw up some slop and draw the foul. He did that successfully his first couple weeks back in the line up.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Granger is shooting +90% from the line, so yes take to the rim, throw up some slop and draw the foul. He did that successfully his first couple weeks back in the line up.

Just be half of this, Granger.

Mood

So it's a guarentee that if he drives to the rim, he'll get a foul called every time? I'm not noticing that. I'm seeing alot of his shot clank right off the rim.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

If he continues at his current pace, he will have the second best season ever from the FT line.

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    So it's a guarentee that if he drives to the rim, he'll get a foul called every time? I'm not noticing that. I'm seeing alot of his shot clank right off the rim.

Agreed. He's only averaging 1.8 FTA's a game, so in other words he's not even averaging a complete trip to the foul line a game. In per-36 land, he's averaging 2.9 FTA's per 36, compared to 5.1 per 36 in 11-12 (his last good season). In 08-09, his best season, he averaged 6.8 FTA's per 36. In other words, he's getting to the line at a far lower rate than he ever has. He's not going to fool teams into fouling him a bunch and sending him to the line. Any team that's scouted him this year knows that most of his takes result in misses. Teams aren't going to foul him at a high rate unless he forces them to respect them by proving that he can still score at the bucket, which he hasn't yet.

I'm a Lance fan, but I admit that he needs to be reigned in a bit right now. That being said, it's pretty unfair to blame DG's wretched play on Lance. DG can't shoot and he can't get separation from his man. When he takes it to the rack, he clanks it off the rim or gets stopped. He's had plenty of open shots this year. He's had plenty of times where he got the ball early in the shot clock and took it to the rack. The bottom line is that he just can't convert anymore. It doesn't matter where and when Lance gets him the ball - DG's offensive weaknesses are just too glaring to be covered up by some magical crafty plays. Lance likes padding his assist numbers, doesn't he? If DG could score, I'm pretty sure that Lance would find ways to set him up. Lance has a tough task right now when he plays with the second unit on offense. Scola and Granger are currently awful and Mahinmi will always be severely limited on that end.

Granger attempts more shots per 36 than Lance, Hibbert, and Hill. Granger has played in 29 games and has attempted all kinds of different shots. The bottom line is that he's just a shell of what he used to be.

I think this is really all about Frank. This team has talent coming out of their ears. If it doesn't work, our coaching staff didn't get the job done. Note, I'm not saying BOOO FRANK or FIRE HIM, but this really is his challenge. He's got a ton of talent and it's very inter changeable. He's gotta figure it out.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: