Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacers / TWolves Post Game Thread - 2/19

Default Re: Pacers / TWolves Post Game Thread - 2/19

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger ................. Maybe something is bothering him, as others have alluded to.
    He's probably puckered up because of all the trade talk. Let's see if his mind gets back to the right place after the deadline passes. (well, unless he IS traded .............)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Blow it up. We can still do that by today.

Hate this loss. Screw the B2B excuse. Other teams play too and don't behave like that. Plus our starters were rested against Atlanta the whole 4th quarter.

The game was painful to watch at times. Team out of control on offense, rushing things which both led to our flavor of the year, turnovers, and some hero shots. Played right into Wolves' hands and we lost. The solution was there. Slow down, go to the post. Nah, we are too proud for that.
    Only George had a good game offensively but he also logged too many turnovers.

P n' R defense was atrocious at times and Love went off on us. Yikes. Hate that guy.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Was at the game and impressed to see a lot of Pacer fans in attendance.

Tough game to watch and will just give a a few observations.

Pacer bigs played like horsebleep. Very sure Roy didn't play when the game got close mainly because of the P n R. Hibbert, West & Scola were infinitely guardable by the defensively suspect TWolves bigs. That just can't happen. Those three along with Mahinmi got beat like a drum on the boards. The rebounding numbers only ended in the Pacers favor because PG & Lance were so good coupled with Brewer & Buddinger's poor efforts.

Not sure if it was a lack of defensive preparation or defensive execution but there are couple of key things you can't do against the Wolves. You can't give Love open looks from behind the arc and you can't allow Brewer to leak out in transition. They feed off those situations emotionally. The P n R was good for them tonight but if you make them grind it out in the half court I'm not convinced the Wolves could of P n R'd their way to win.

Lance missed a couple of open looks early and then let a couple of early bad calls get in his head. He pressed and played in an agitated state the rest of the night. George Hill was too passive offensively. CJ Watson is not much of a creator or playmaker so when he misses open shots it hurts. What happened to Scola's "crafty" post skills. It seems like everyone in the league can guard him within 10' of the basket.

Not convinced that Scola should be playing over Copeland right now. From jump Copeland got a lot of attention from the Wolves defensively last night. The lane opended up considerably and the guy can obviously score. Given some consistent minutes he could help the bench a lot offensively. I get there issues on the defensive side of the ball but it isn't like Scola is making a difference there either.

PG had a great game scoring the basketball. If he could only just develop some patience and focus on making the simple pass.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We have lost our offensive identity. Your turn, my turn between PG, Lance, and West. Hill is a good scorer, but cannot get shots. Roy is barely involved. Our bench has been bad for a while now. Hopefully Bird makes a trade to fix our bench
    David "And One" West

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Larry Bird needs to think long and hard about keeping Lance Stephenson at this point. He is NOT THAT GOOD. Dude's head is about as big as the Sky right now.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

SSDD. We're at the point now where someone needs to make some changes, and I'm looking at Frankie V to make them.

Our offense simply gives up on penetration too early in the shot clock (and pretty much gives up for good by the end of the first quarter). I can't see what they're afraid of - it isn't like they will turn over the ball any more by passing it in to Roy than by firing a pass behind someone's back on the perimeter.

It certainly LOOKS like guys have believed their own press and are playing like primadonas out there. When the players we have to count on to be steady (like DWest) have a bad night, there's no foundation.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I thought our offense in the first quarter was awful, which directly led to our atrocious transition defense. (if you watched ESPN, Hubie Brown broke this down rather well) Our offense the rest of the game wasn't much better.

Our shot selection was painful to watch, our ball movement was terrible, our passing was nonexistant, and we had several players trying to do things on their own (PG and Lance) We didn't trust our offense or our teammates. Were we selfish? - I won't say that, it was more hero ball as in things are going bad so let me bail us out. Instead of trusting the game plan, trusting the system trusting your teammates, trusting the coaching staff, we played hero ball.

The T-Wolves play a different style of defense. They double team the post, trap ballhandlers, go for steals on every play. And the pacers offense played right into their style. Against that defense you need much more passing and player movement, and ball reversal and if you do that well, you can get some easy shots. There is a reason the T-Wolves are last in defensive FG% and yet 4th in creating turnovers. (My guess is the Spurs slice and dice the T-Wolves defense)

And our transition defense was disgusting at least partially because of our horrible offense. Every bad shot was like a long outlet pass for the T-Wolves.

I am expecting the film session today to be extremely painful for the Pacers. if they went play by play and pointed out all the mistakes it might take them 4 or 5 hours.

A disgusting loss. They did not resemble a good team at all. They did not resemble a together team at all.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-20-2014 at 09:16 AM.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    When the players we have to count on to be steady (like DWest) have a bad night, there's no foundation.
    That is an excellent point. Hadn't really thought of that. West wasn't hitting so PG and Lance figured they had to do it on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    We have lost our offensive identity. Your turn, my turn between PG, Lance, and West. Hill is a good scorer, but cannot get shots. Roy is barely involved. Our bench has been bad for a while now. Hopefully Bird makes a trade to fix our bench
    You just did an Anti-Quinn!
    You said the exact truth in a minimal amount of words.

I am a little concerned at this point, something just seems off. Was talking to Seth last night and he is worrying it is going to be like IT's last year where the wheels just fell off. I don't get that same vibe, but right now we could not beat Miami in a 7 game series. I don't know if we need a last minute trade or a lineup change. Personally, I think Lance is stopping the ball a little too much right now, I'd like to see HIll take back some of the ball handling duties.

I want to think more and then I might be back in here to post some more thoughts, but Roy was benched for pretty much the whole 4th quarter last night. I wonder what the message was.....

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    So much for getting back to Inside Out play.
    Well we did try to feed the ball to West and Hibbert in the first quarter, they both let Brewer poke it away from them more than once.

Roy in particular is being extremely indecisive in the post. If he has to dribble the ball more than twice it is basically a guaranteed turnover or miss. Is this on Roy not getting good position, on the passing of the guards, or a combo of both? Probably a combo, but it's a major issue right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I want to think more and then I might be back in here to post some more thoughts, but Roy was benched for pretty much the whole 4th quarter last night. I wonder what the message was.....
    Didn't the T-Wolves go small and if we would have kept Roy in he would have been guarding Love. I realize it is a small point, but I don't think there was a message being sent in how Roy was used.

And no I do not at all in the least believe this feels like 2003. The team back then quit on isiah, so unless Seth believes this team is quiting on Frank, this isn't anything like that

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Didn't the T-Wolves go small and if we would have kept Roy in he would have been guarding Love. I realize it is a small point, but I don't think there was a message being sent in how Roy was used.
    Dunno, we kept Ian in over Roy, but I thought they went back to Turiaf eventually (just checked, duh yeah they did, he had the spot up jumper as the shot clock was runnning down when had cut it to 5, and then he got hurt) and then Cunningham came in after.

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    When players seemingly go anywhere else and are productive off the bench, you have to start thinking its probably not the players.

Also, this team has not been the same since Danny got back. Probably has something to do with it.
    They won 13 of their first 15 games with Granger back in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This game was like a bad JOB flashback. We refused to put the ball in the paint for pretty much the entire 1st quarter.
    Just not true at all.

Very first offensive play of the game for the Pacers ended with a Roy turnover when Rubio stole it from him.

2 minutes later got West the ball in the post, he missed.

2 minutes later, Roy got the ball again, and missed.

2 minutes later, West gets the ball again, and turns it over.

This is the 6 minute mark where Scola checks in.

5 minute mark, Scola gets the ball, misses.

Not exactly a post up play, but at the 4 minute mark Lance goes inside and is blocked.

At the 3 minute mark, one of our post guys FINALLY does something positive on offense, Scola gets an offensive rebound and puts it back, but then 30 seconds later we try to feed him again and it is stolen from him by, guess who, Brewer.

One minute mark, Scola is fed again cutting to the hoop, he fumbles it out of bounds.

So I mean, I guess we could have given the ball to our post guys more, but the simple fact is Roy and Scola are pretty terrible on offense right now and West had to check out 6 minutes in for foul trouble and honestly he didn't have too hot of a start either.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    As a big Granger fan that is a very noticeable difference in his demeanor. He used to be such a firery, competitive player. Now he's kind of a bit more complacent, playing hard physically but going through the motions emotionally. He is lacking fire right now.
    Yeah, it is weird. Maybe there is still pain. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    1. The Pacers aren't getting calls. The concern isn't that they're not getting calls; it's that they still have yet to figure out WHY they're not getting calls. Pacers have to be the whiniest team in the league right now. It's leading to easy transition points the other way, and it's pissing off refs. Refs aren't going to give this team calls until they shut up and play basketball. Even David West is whiny these days. That example filters down.
    DISCLAIMER: In no way am I saying officiating is the reason the Pacers lost.

But, why is that acceptable? Rule books don't make differentials between players attitudes, and whether or not fouls should be called. This hurts the product, and it leads to the frustrations that boil over.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Larry Bird needs to think long and hard about keeping Lance Stephenson at this point. He is NOT THAT GOOD. Dude's head is about as big as the Sky right now.
    This season, he has been the second best player on a team that has the best record in the East right now. Yes he has been sloppy at times lately and yes Vogel should reign him in a bit, but he brings skills to the team that no one else possesses. West and Hibbert put Lance and PG in a bind early when they couldn't do anything on the offensive end. Lance forced some bad shots, but he still had 10 rebounds and only turned the ball over twice (PG turned it over 7 times). West couldn't hit anything and Hibbert had one of those classic games where he looked like he was playing offensive basketball for the first time in his life. Just awful. My main criticism of Lance and PG last night was that they should have let Hill have the ball more.

What is Lance supposed to do with the second unit? Go out of his way to pass to Scola and Granger so that they shoot some garbage percentages? A bad shooting game from Lance last night (33%) is roughly what Scola and Granger have been averaging over the last month and a half or so. When it comes to the second unit, I'll put my eggs in the Lance basket until someone else shows that they deserve more shares of the offense.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Also, we have not been great at defending the 3 for a while now. I don't think we are closing out hard engouh. Honestly, this team may just need some tough love. I don't know who has to take that bullet, but Frank may just need to put a boot up somebody's ***.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Also, we have not been great at defending the 3 for a while now. I don't think we are closing out hard engouh. Honestly, this team may just need some tough love. I don't know who has to take that bullet, but Frank may just need to put a boot up somebody's ***.
    Frank/Bird say you can only go postal on your team about 3 times a season before they start looking at you as a joke. Gotta wonder if/when those 3 instances have been used, or if they'll be used. Something has gotta wake them up.

Also, Lance is giving me Travis Best flashbacks. Good lord man, pass the damn ball before you run out of nails to pound.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Bynum could give this team a nice shot in the arm if he's reasonably healthy. He's been yucking it up lately with guys on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

And no I do not at all in the least believe this feels like 2003. The team back then quit on isiah, so unless Seth believes this team is quiting on Frank, this isn't anything like that
    Agreed, UB. I don't get that same vibe at all. This feels like the opposite this team needs Frank to sit on them, to give them a kick to the rear. I would like to see Cope play more, the starters in particular I think need a stern message. The season ain't over. Right now Lance is acting like he's a superstar and he's not. If he's not careful he's going to turn into Tyreke Evans. How many 3s did he take in the first quarter? 3? Plus another pull up mid range jumper? This is not his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Frank/Bird say you can only go postal on your team about 3 times a season before they start looking at you as a joke. Gotta wonder if/when those 3 instances have been used, or if they'll be used. Something has gotta wake them up.

Also, Lance is giving me Travis Best flashbacks. Good lord man, pass the damn ball before you run out of nails to pound.
    I feel like they've got to have 2 of those left. I don't see many other times they may have gone postal, maybe after the back to back losses in Dec.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Bynum could give this team a nice shot in the arm if he's reasonably healthy. He's been yucking it up lately with guys on the bench.
    And he's here the real doozy of a conundrum, who has given the best effort since the all star break and played the most above his ability? Ian, of course. So it's not even like putting Bynum in is this simple idea.

Just realized GHill was 4-8 last night for 13 points. We need to make him a bigger part of our offense I feel like. He's just been playing so well on that end since mid-Jan and with Roy slumping so hard we should be finding ways to get Hill touches. I know finding the mix of ball handling between him, Lance and PG is tough but it needs to be done. We at least need to be better at changing on the fly on nights like last night. Clearly we should have made a more concerted effort to get some of Lance's looks to Hill.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: